|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Zhou dynasty split?
2. When did India became independent?
3. When did the Gauls choose to elect a common authority for the whole confederation?
4. At what age were young boys or men starting their training for public service under Emperor Wu?
5. How many countries of the third wave of democratization reverted to authoritarianism or saw a significant erosion of democratic institutions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What weakens and strengths the central state authority?
2. What did Fukuyama argue about the Malmuks in Chapter 14?
3. What caused a change in the number of polities during the Zhao Dynasty?
4. What does Fukayama outline in Chapter 1?
5. What philosophies does Fukuyama reference and who does he share views with in Chapter 2?
6. Why was the Han dynasty not a democracy?
7. What does Fukuyama discuss about chimps?
8. What five attributes distinguishes a state from a tribal organization according to Chapter 5?
9. What practice does Fukuyama examine in Chapter 13?
10. What does Fukuyama examine regarding the structure of the Ottomans in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define legalism and compare legalism with Confucianism, and discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the Mandate of Heaven as depicted with Empress Wu and the problems faced by emperors in China.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of the Mamluks and discuss how they came into power and why they were conquered.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)