|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who collectivized land in 1978?
2. When did iron start being used commonly in China?
3. What does the latifundia in agrarian societies say?
4. When did Ying Zheng live according to Chapter 8?
5. When did Ajatashatru die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was India's early political development different from that of China according to Chapter 10?
2. What did warfare cause for many people?
3. What happened to the patrimonial aristocratic class according to Chapter 9?
4. What general assumption is made by the author in the Preface?
5. What does Fukuyama question regarding property rights in Chapter 4?
6. How did the Mamluks eventually disturb the nature of their relation to the state?
7. Why does Fukuyama attack theories like that of Karl Marx?
8. What does Fukayama identify as the three main institutions of modern democracy?
9. What was never eliminated in China, India, and the Middle East despite efforts of leaders according to Chapter 16?
10. How was Europe different?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the probable contributors in the formation of a state and conclude whether Fukuyama's stance has merit.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the three main institutions of modern democracy, and discuss how it benefits a government to have all three.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the inverse relationship between the strength of a state and patrimonialism.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)