|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did India became independent?
2. When was Empress Xu murdered?
3. What term designates a clan, community or group where people can only have a limited set of occupation?
4. Who formulated an ideology of state building that explicitly laid out the logic of the new centralized state?
5. What does the latifundia in agrarian societies say?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Qin system and why did it collapse according to Chapter 8?
2. What were jatis and varnas according to Chapter 11?
3. What did Fukuyama argue about the Malmuks in Chapter 14?
4. What weakens and strengths the central state authority?
5. How was India's early political development different from that of China according to Chapter 10?
6. What did warfare cause for many people?
7. What does Fukuyama examine regarding the structure of the Ottomans in Chapter 15?
8. What was never eliminated in China, India, and the Middle East despite efforts of leaders according to Chapter 16?
9. How was Europe different?
10. What concept was largely based on kinship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of the Mamluks and discuss how they came into power and why they were conquered.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of kinship, and the types of kinship, as discussed in Chapter 3.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the three main institutions of modern democracy, and discuss how it benefits a government to have all three.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)