|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Empress Xu murdered?
2. Who appointed Ogier Ghiselin de Busbecq at the court of Suleiman the Magnificent?
3. Who said "I conceive that land belongs to a vast family of which many are dead, few are living and countless members are still unborn"?
4. When was Machiavelli's "The Prince" written according to Chapter 15?
5. When did the Zhou dynasty split?
Short Essay Questions
1. What failures led do the undoing of the Ottoman Empire?
2. What was the method of agnation?
3. What caused a change in the number of polities during the Zhao Dynasty?
4. What does Fukuyama explain about China and its history in Chapter 6?
5. What brought distant common ancestors closer according to Fukuyama?
6. What weakens and strengths the central state authority?
7. Why does Fukuyama attack theories like that of Karl Marx?
8. How was India's early political development different from that of China according to Chapter 10?
9. What did the emergence of the Han dynasty bring?
10. What three main kingdoms developed according to Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the development of rule of law in world civilizations, and discuss the role that religion played in developing a stronger rule of law.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of the Mamluks and discuss how they came into power and why they were conquered.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the inverse relationship between the strength of a state and patrimonialism.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)