|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nick say about his relationship with Marjorie?
2. What type of vacation is Nick taking in this story?
3. What type of wound has Nick sustained?
4. Why does Nick feel alienated from three of the boys?
5. How do Nick and his bride leave after the wedding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hemingway writes extensively in his career about bullfighting. Why was the sport so popular? Why would a man like Hemingway be attracted to it? What are your own feelings about the sport?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Nick's father. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Nick?
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting setting for the majority of the book? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Hemingway choose to use these places in the stories?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)