|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nick thinks about the time he spent in _________ going to bullfights.
2. What is Nick's demeanor in battle?
3. What type of injury does Nick have in this story?
4. What is Rinaldi's response when Nick says they have made a "separate peace?"
5. Which of the following do Nick and Bill NOT do at Bill's cabin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall setting setting for the majority of the book? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Hemingway choose to use these places in the stories?
Essay Topic 2
There are several events of foreshadowing in the stories. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the stories that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Nick Adams. What are his similarities to Hemingway? Do you think Nick's character was based on Hemingway himself as some believe? Explain.
This section contains 190 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)