|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do Nick and John spend in the mountains?
2. What is Rinaldi's response when Nick says they have made a "separate peace?"
3. Which of the following does Nick NOT do in the uncivilized area?
4. What else is Nick doing with his friends?
5. Bill says the strong wind will blow for how many days?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Hemingway is a master at character study in "The End of Something" when Nick and Marjorie break up. What body language does Hemingway give the characters? What does their dialogue reveal about how they are feeling?
Essay Topic 2
THE NICK ADAMS STORIES is a classic chronology of growing from a boy into a man. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Hemingway writes most of these stories on the theme of the fear of death. Choose three characters from any of the stories and give their views on death. Are they afraid? Do they live in denial? How do they approach it?
This section contains 216 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)