• The editor explains the reason for the collection of short stories.
• The stories of Nick Adams had never been arranged into a coherent whole and their interconnection is unknown.
• The book contains a number of unpublished manuscripts.
The Northern Woods: Three Shots
• During a camping trip with his father and uncle, Nick recalls with shame how he had been scared thinking about how he would die one day when he was alone.
• Nick summoned his father and uncle back to the camp with three rifle shots.
• Nick's uncle is frustrated, thinking Nick is a coward but Nick's father is more understanding.
The Northern Woods: Indian Camp
• Nick accompanies his physician father to an Indian camp where he must deliver a baby from a woman who has been in labor for three days.
• Nick is frightened by the surgery and does not watch.
• Nick's father is told that...
This section contains 3,236 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)