|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disease does Fanshawe's father have?
2. What is the number of the box at the Brooklyn Post Office to which Blue sends his monthly reports?
3. What is the amount of the monetary advance White gives Blue?
4. According to Jane Fanshawe, who is responsible for the fact that Fanshawe never published any of his work?
5. How does the narrator respond to the rumor that Fanshawe never existed and that he had written the works himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Blue enters Black's apartment disguised as the Fuller Brush man, what does Black tell Blue his profession is? When Blue later breaks into Black's apartment and steals the papers from his desk, what does he find them to contain?
2. When Blue first meets White in the novel Ghosts, what type of case does he think he is becoming involved in? What does he notice about White that makes him change his opinion?
3. About what aspect of Fanshawe's writing do Sophie and Fanshawe disagree? What is the compromise that Fanshawe offers her a few months before his disappearance?
4. What is difficult for Blue about writing the monthly reports of Black's activities for White to read? What does he want to include in the reports to make them more truthful?
5. In The Locked Room, what is Sophie Fanshawe's condition when her husband goes missing? Describe the trajectory of her emotional reaction to his disappearance.
6. What does the narrator learn about Fanshawe through his interviews with Fanshawe's friends and family? What is he looking for that he does not find?
7. What does Jane Fanshawe do after lunch? What does the narrator think motivates this act?
8. What does Fanshawe do during his trip to the cemetery with the narrator on the day of his father's death? What does his action remind the narrator of from their early childhood?
9. Why does Fanshawe continue to address his letters to Ellen even after her breakdown? To whom are the letters meant to communicate?
10. When Blue receives his first payment from White, why is he surprised and then disappointed? What was he expecting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give two literary allusions that are found in the story, Ghosts. How do these stories parallel Blue's narrative?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of violence in The New York Trilogy? Is violence a significant theme in all three stories? Why or why not? Give specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the time of narration and the time of action in Ghosts and The Locked Room. How is the narration different? Which of the narrators is further removed from the action? What effect does this have on the stories?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)