|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What adjectives does Black use to describe his mask?
2. How does the narrator react to being in Fanshawe's room with his things?
3. Where does Blue read about Gold and the case of the murdered child?
4. Whom does White want Blue to keep an eye on?
5. From where was Fanshawe's letter postmarked?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the narrator's recollection, why does Fanshawe give his birthday gift to Dennis Walden? What is the outcome and why is this incident significant for the narrator?
2. When Blue enters Black's apartment disguised as the Fuller Brush man, what does Black tell Blue his profession is? When Blue later breaks into Black's apartment and steals the papers from his desk, what does he find them to contain?
3. What does the narrator learn about Fanshawe through his interviews with Fanshawe's friends and family? What is he looking for that he does not find?
4. What aspects of Fanshawe's background could be considered possible liabilities on the ship? How does his background affect the way in which he is actually treated by his fellow shipmates?
5. When Blue receives his first payment from White, why is he surprised and then disappointed? What was he expecting?
6. What event does Blue leave out of his report that elicits a response from White? What is White's response and what conclusion does Blue draw from this?
7. In The Locked Room, what is Sophie Fanshawe's condition when her husband goes missing? Describe the trajectory of her emotional reaction to his disappearance.
8. What does Jane Fanshawe do after lunch? What does the narrator think motivates this act?
9. What does Blue want to do when he thinks about the future Mrs. Blue? How does this make him realize that he is changing?
10. During their second conversation, what is Black's response when Blue asks him if the man he watches knows he is being watched? How does Black justify his answer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Authorship and authority are major themes in City of Glass. Compare the role of Cid Hamete Benengeli in Don Quixote to the role of Quinn in City of Glass. How do these fictional sources reinforce the author's ethos in each case?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of violence in The New York Trilogy? Is violence a significant theme in all three stories? Why or why not? Give specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout The New York Trilogy, there are allusions to Robinson Crusoe. Give an example from each of the three stories. What is the significance of this allusion? What is the relationship between isolation and writing?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)