|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Stillman's notes in Chapter 5, which character does he suspect of not being trustworthy?
2. What does Quinn do for a living?
3. How are the two men resembling the photograph of Stillman distinguishable?
4. What instrument does Quinn use for the first drafts of all of his writing?
5. In Chapter 7, where does Quinn go to find Stillman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the financial and societal status of the Stillman family? Where do the Stillmans come from?
2. What does Quinn believe is the key to effective detective work? Does his theory prove to be correct? Why or why not?
3. Why is Virginia Stillman scared when Quinn calls her at the end of Chapter 9? What makes her think that Stillman may have contacted Peter?
4. While Quinn is living in the alleyway in Chapter 12, what is his sleep schedule like? How is he able to measure the amount of time he has been sleeping?
5. What is the message spelled out by the letters of the maps in Chapter 8? What does this message reveal to Quinn about Stillman?
6. Why did Stillman invent the persona of Henry Dark? What significance does this name have?
7. What job does Virginia Stillman hire Auster to do? How does she expect him to start?
8. What is the first thing that Quinn writes in the red notebook? Why is this significant?
9. What is Stillman's theory about having children? What is the correlation between having children and knowledge?
10. What is revealed about Quinn's family in Chapter 1 of City of Glass? Where is his family now?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of violence in The New York Trilogy? Is violence a significant theme in all three stories? Why or why not? Give specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Fate is a significant theme in City of Glass. Give two examples of coincidences that Quinn attributes to fate. How does fate as an explanation justify Quinn's actions?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout The New York Trilogy, there are allusions to Robinson Crusoe. Give an example from each of the three stories. What is the significance of this allusion? What is the relationship between isolation and writing?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)