|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peter Stillman have in common with Quinn's son?
2. Where does Stillman eat his dinner on most days?
3. According to the end of Chapter 8, what does "El" mean in ancient Hebrew?
4. According to Stillman's notes in Chapter 5, which character does he suspect of not being trustworthy?
5. How does Quinn find out that Stillman has committed suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the telephone calls in Chapter 1, with whom is Quinn confused? What is the nature of this person's work?
2. Where does Stillman go after leaving Grand Central Station? Why is Quinn surprised by this?
3. What does Quinn believe is the key to effective detective work? Does his theory prove to be correct? Why or why not?
4. According to Stillman's book, where should the new paradise be built? When should this building occur and why then?
5. Why is Virginia Stillman scared when Quinn calls her at the end of Chapter 9? What makes her think that Stillman may have contacted Peter?
6. What is the message spelled out by the letters of the maps in Chapter 8? What does this message reveal to Quinn about Stillman?
7. What is revealed about Quinn's family in Chapter 1 of City of Glass? Where is his family now?
8. What interests Auster about the authorship of Don Quixote? According to Auster, what was the experiment that Don Quixote was conducting?
9. What job does Virginia Stillman hire Auster to do? How does she expect him to start?
10. What is Stillman's project as he explains it to Quinn in Chapter 9? Why is this work necessary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identity is a major theme throughout The New York Trilogy. Give one example where identity is confused or a new identity is assumed from each of the three stories. What does this confusion about identity imply about the author's view of reality?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout The New York Trilogy, there are allusions to Robinson Crusoe. Give an example from each of the three stories. What is the significance of this allusion? What is the relationship between isolation and writing?
Essay Topic 3
Authorship and authority are major themes in City of Glass. Compare the role of Cid Hamete Benengeli in Don Quixote to the role of Quinn in City of Glass. How do these fictional sources reinforce the author's ethos in each case?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)