|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does Quinn use for the first drafts of all of his writing?
2. Where does the second meeting between Quinn and Stillman take place in Chapter 9?
3. How does Quinn find out that Stillman has committed suicide?
4. When Quinn first meets Peter Stillman, what color does he associate with him?
5. What is the name of the hotel where Stillman stays?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the message spelled out by the letters of the maps in Chapter 8? What does this message reveal to Quinn about Stillman?
2. According to Stillman's book, where should the new paradise be built? When should this building occur and why then?
3. What is the danger of Quinn's becoming too bored while following Stillman? Who does he pretend to be in order to combat his boredom?
4. What job does Virginia Stillman hire Auster to do? How does she expect him to start?
5. Why did Stillman invent the persona of Henry Dark? What significance does this name have?
6. In Chapter 12, why does Quinn finally decide to leave the alleyway? Who is the first person he contacts and what information does this person provide?
7. In what year did Stillman lock up his son? Why is this significant?
8. What interests Auster about the authorship of Don Quixote? According to Auster, what was the experiment that Don Quixote was conducting?
9. What is the first thing that Quinn writes in the red notebook? Why is this significant?
10. At the end of Chapter 13, what does the narrator reveal about himself? How did he become involved in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of violence in The New York Trilogy? Is violence a significant theme in all three stories? Why or why not? Give specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbol of the Tower of Babel in City of Glass. Why is this symbol so important to Stillman? What is his project and how does it relate to the Tower of Babel?
Essay Topic 3
Doubles are an important element in City of Glass, Ghosts, and The Locked Room. Give an example of the use of doubles in each of these stories. What is the function of the double? What does the use of the double communicate about reality and certainty?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)