|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Quinn go to read Stillman's book?
(a) Central Park.
(b) The bookstore.
(c) The Stillman's apartment.
(d) The Columbia Library.
2. Where did Virginia and Peter Stillman meet?
(a) At a party.
(b) On vacation.
(c) At school.
(d) In the hospital.
3. According to the information in Chapter 4, who was the Scottish sailor considered to be the model for Robinson Crusoe?
(a) Captain Hook.
(b) Peter of Hanover.
(c) Alexander Selkirk.
(d) Kaspar Hauser.
4. What do Quinn and the counterman at the luncheonette commonly converse about?
(c) The weather.
5. According to Stillman's notes in Chapter 5, which character does he suspect of not being trustworthy?
(a) Peter Stillman.
(b) Virginia Stillman.
(c) The counterman at the luncheonette.
(d) Paul Auster.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what condition does Quinn agree to continue following Stillman after thirteen days of repetitive action, per his telephone consultation with Virginia Stillman?
2. How are the two men resembling the photograph of Stillman distinguishable?
3. What instrument does Quinn use for the first drafts of all of his writing?
4. What does Quinn like to do most in his free time?
5. According to Stillman's book, what was the biblical Adam's only task in the Garden of Eden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the message spelled out by the letters of the maps in Chapter 8? What does this message reveal to Quinn about Stillman?
2. What does Quinn believe is the key to effective detective work? Does his theory prove to be correct? Why or why not?
3. In what year did Stillman lock up his son? Why is this significant?
4. What is the first thing that Quinn writes in the red notebook? Why is this significant?
5. After losing track of Stillman, who does Quinn seek out for advice on the Stillman case? Why does he think this person will be able to help him?
6. What is the financial and societal status of the Stillman family? Where do the Stillmans come from?
7. What job does Virginia Stillman hire Auster to do? How does she expect him to start?
8. Why is Virginia Stillman scared when Quinn calls her at the end of Chapter 9? What makes her think that Stillman may have contacted Peter?
9. What is Stillman's theory about having children? What is the correlation between having children and knowledge?
10. In the telephone calls in Chapter 1, with whom is Quinn confused? What is the nature of this person's work?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)