|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What instrument does Quinn use for the first drafts of all of his writing?
(a) A typewriter.
(c) A computer.
(d) A pen.
2. What do Auster and the narrator find in the Stillman's apartment?
(a) The red notebook.
(b) Nothing; it is completely empty.
(c) Stillman's book.
(d) Daniel Quinn's corpse.
3. Where is the Stillman family from?
(c) Los Angeles.
(d) New York.
4. In Chapter 10, what novel is Paul Auster writing an article about?
(a) Amadis de Gaula.
(b) Madame Bovary.
(d) Don Quixote.
5. At the end of Chapter 13, what is the relationship between the narrator and Paul Auster?
(a) They are brothers.
(b) They are friends.
(c) They are lovers.
(d) They are enemies.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Quinn first meets Peter Stillman, what color does he associate with him?
2. Where is Quinn the second time the telephone rings?
3. Where did Virginia and Peter Stillman meet?
4. What does Auster plan to do with Virginia Stillman's check?
5. What does Quinn purchase before leaving the luncheonette?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Quinn believe is the key to effective detective work? Does his theory prove to be correct? Why or why not?
2. According to Stillman's book, where should the new paradise be built? When should this building occur and why then?
3. After losing track of Stillman, who does Quinn seek out for advice on the Stillman case? Why does he think this person will be able to help him?
4. In the telephone calls in Chapter 1, with whom is Quinn confused? What is the nature of this person's work?
5. In the waiting room, what is the girl's opinion of the William Wilson novel that Quinn wrote? What is Quinn's reaction to her opinion?
6. What is the message spelled out by the letters of the maps in Chapter 8? What does this message reveal to Quinn about Stillman?
7. While Quinn is living in the alleyway in Chapter 12, what is his sleep schedule like? How is he able to measure the amount of time he has been sleeping?
8. In Chapter 13, where does Quinn go? What does he do there?
9. In what year did Stillman lock up his son? Why is this significant?
10. Why did Stillman invent the persona of Henry Dark? What significance does this name have?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)