|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens each time Auster tries to reach Virginia Stillman by telephone in Chapter 11?
(a) He speaks to the Stillman's maid.
(b) He speaks to Peter Stillman.
(c) He gets a busy signal.
(d) He speaks to Virginia Stillman.
2. Whom does Peter Stillman fear is going to murder him?
(a) His father.
(b) His wife.
(c) His neighbor.
(d) His brother.
3. According to Stillman's notes in Chapter 5, which character does he suspect of not being trustworthy?
(a) Paul Auster.
(b) The counterman at the luncheonette.
(c) Peter Stillman.
(d) Virginia Stillman.
4. In Chapter 2, who greets Quinn at the apartment door?
(a) Max Work.
(b) Virginia Stillman.
(c) Paul Auster.
(d) Peter Stillman.
5. What does Quinn consider to be the ideal relationship between a detective and his client?
(a) They should maintain close contact.
(b) They should live together.
(c) They should be unaware of each other's work.
(d) They should meet once per week.
Short Answer Questions
1. During their third and final meeting in Chapter 9, what name does Quinn give to Stillman?
2. In Chapter 12, what does Quinn spend many hours doing each day while he is living in the alleyway?
3. Which historical figure was faced with the challenge of standing an egg on its end?
4. In their first conversation in Chapter 9, what does Stillman tell Quinn his project is?
5. What is the weather like on the day that Stillman does not appear as usual?
Short Essay Questions
1. What job does Virginia Stillman hire Auster to do? How does she expect him to start?
2. In what year did Stillman lock up his son? Why is this significant?
3. What role does fate have in Quinn's involvement in the Stillman case? What does Quinn consider to be a sign of fate's decision?
4. Where does Stillman go after leaving Grand Central Station? Why is Quinn surprised by this?
5. What is the financial and societal status of the Stillman family? Where do the Stillmans come from?
6. What is Stillman's project as he explains it to Quinn in Chapter 9? Why is this work necessary?
7. What is unusual about the relationship between Peter Stillman and his wife Virginia? What does Virginia do to make their relationship work?
8. In Chapter 11, what does Quinn write about in the red notebook? According to his observations, what is the social hierarchy of the vagabond population like?
9. According to Peter, what was his father's motivation for locking him up in the dark for so many years? Was he successful?
10. What is Stillman's theory about having children? What is the correlation between having children and knowledge?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)