|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does Quinn withdraw from the automatic teller at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Three hundred dollars.
(b) Five hundred and forty-nine dollars.
(c) Three hundred and forty-nine dollars.
(d) Five hundred dollars.
2. Where does Quinn go at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) The Stillman's apartment.
(b) Riverside Park.
(c) Paul Auster's apartment.
(d) Columbia Library.
3. In Chapter 1, what is the event that occasions the meeting between Quinn and Stillman?
(a) A telephone call.
(b) A fight.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) A car accident.
4. What is Quinn's pseudonym?
(a) William Wilson.
(b) Peter Stillman.
(c) Thomas Williams.
(d) Max Work.
5. Which historical figure was faced with the challenge of standing an egg on its end?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Quinn like to do most in his free time?
2. Which text does Stillman use as the basis of his argument about the fall of man in his book?
3. Where is the Stillman family from?
4. In their first conversation in Chapter 9, what does Stillman tell Quinn his project is?
5. To which two continental philosophers does the narrator credit the concept of the "noble savage"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 13, where does Quinn go? What does he do there?
2. According to Stillman's book, where should the new paradise be built? When should this building occur and why then?
3. Describe Stillman's daily routine. What items does he take with him on his daily walks?
4. What job does Virginia Stillman hire Auster to do? How does she expect him to start?
5. What interests Auster about the authorship of Don Quixote? According to Auster, what was the experiment that Don Quixote was conducting?
6. In the waiting room, what is the girl's opinion of the William Wilson novel that Quinn wrote? What is Quinn's reaction to her opinion?
7. In what year did Stillman lock up his son? Why is this significant?
8. What is the first thing that Quinn writes in the red notebook? Why is this significant?
9. In Chapter 11, what does Quinn write about in the red notebook? According to his observations, what is the social hierarchy of the vagabond population like?
10. What is Stillman's theory about having children? What is the correlation between having children and knowledge?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)