|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which historical figure was faced with the challenge of standing an egg on its end?
2. In Chapter 8, what is the message spelled out by the letters of the maps?
(a) THE TOWER OF BABEL.
(b) THE NEW BABEL.
(c) THE MYTH OF PARADISE.
(d) THE MYTH OF BABEL.
3. According to Stillman's notes in Chapter 5, which character does he suspect of not being trustworthy?
(a) Virginia Stillman.
(b) Paul Auster.
(c) Peter Stillman.
(d) The counterman at the luncheonette.
4. How does Quinn find out that Stillman has committed suicide?
(a) He sees a news story about it on television.
(b) Virginia Stillman tells him over the telephone.
(c) He reads it in a newspaper.
(d) Paul Auster tells him over the telephone.
5. What does Quinn purchase before leaving the luncheonette?
(a) A bag of potato chips.
(b) A magazine.
(c) A blue notebook.
(d) A red notebook.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Auster plan to do with Virginia Stillman's check?
2. What is the name of Paul Auster's son?
3. What is the name of the Park where Stillman tends to spend several hours each day?
4. What is Peter Stillman's profession?
5. In Chapter 10, what novel is Paul Auster writing an article about?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 13, what does the narrator reveal about himself? How did he become involved in the story?
2. What job does Virginia Stillman hire Auster to do? How does she expect him to start?
3. While Quinn is living in the alleyway in Chapter 12, what is his sleep schedule like? How is he able to measure the amount of time he has been sleeping?
4. What is Stillman's theory about having children? What is the correlation between having children and knowledge?
5. What is the financial and societal status of the Stillman family? Where do the Stillmans come from?
6. Describe the relationship between Quinn and the counterman at the luncheonette. What interest unites them?
7. Why is Virginia Stillman scared when Quinn calls her at the end of Chapter 9? What makes her think that Stillman may have contacted Peter?
8. In Chapter 11, what does Quinn write about in the red notebook? According to his observations, what is the social hierarchy of the vagabond population like?
9. In Chapter 13, where does Quinn go? What does he do there?
10. According to Peter, what was his father's motivation for locking him up in the dark for so many years? Was he successful?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)