|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the narrator and Jane Fanshawe do before the narrator leaves to return to his family?
(a) They eat lunch, talk, and have sex.
(b) They go for a walk around the city.
(c) They get into an argument.
(d) They go next door to visit the narrator's parents.
2. What is the woman's reaction to the conversation she has with Black in the restaurant?
(a) She is happy and laughs.
(b) She is upset and begins to cry.
(c) She is giddy and giggles.
(d) She is nonchalant and unresponsive.
3. Who is the editor that the narrator contacts to publish Fanshawe's work?
(a) Roger Fanshawe.
(b) Sam Smith.
(c) Stuart Green.
(d) Stuart Black.
4. What does Fanshawe's mother offer the narrator to help him with his project?
(b) Fanshawe's diary.
(d) Letters, photographs, and documents.
5. Why do the narrator and Fanshawe hitch-hike home from the cemetery on the day that Fanshawe's father dies?
(a) They run out of gas.
(b) They don't have bus fare.
(c) The car gets stuck in the snow.
(d) They are in a car accident.
6. Why is the narrator apprehensive about opening the suitcases and reading Fanshawe's work?
(a) He worries that he will read something very personal about Sophie and Fanshawe's relationship.
(b) He has too much of his own work to do and is worried about the time it will take.
(c) He doesn't want Fanshawe's work to be bad, but neither does he want it to be good.
(d) He remembers that Fanshawe liked to write about things that did not interest him.
7. How does Blue enter Black's apartment while he is out?
(a) He asks the landlord to let him in.
(b) He kicks down the door.
(c) He climbs through a window.
(d) He picks the door lock.
8. What happens when Blue finally decides to contact the future Mrs. Blue?
(a) No one answers his telephone call.
(b) He sends her a telegram but she never receives it.
(c) He writes her a letter and does not receive a reply.
(d) They agree to meet in the park but she doesn't come.
9. What job do the Dedmons offer Fanshawe while they are away from France for the year?
(a) Caretaker of their country house.
(b) Chauffeur for their elderly parents.
(c) Butler for their wealthy friends.
(d) Nanny for their four children.
10. What disguise does Blue use for his third encounter with Black?
(a) The mailman.
(b) The Fuller Brush man.
(c) The landlord.
(d) The cable repairman.
11. Where does Blue read about Gold and the case of the murdered child?
(b) The newspaper.
(d) True Detective.
12. Where is Sophie Fanshawe from originally?
(a) New York.
13. In the story The Locked Room, when did the narrator meet Fanshawe?
(a) In college.
(b) When they were babies.
(c) Seven years ago.
(d) In second grade.
14. In the narrator's recollection about second grade, to whom does Fanshawe give the present intended for the birthday boy?
(a) Dennis Walden.
(b) His girlfriend.
(c) His mother.
(d) The narrator.
15. When Fanshawe first begins to write, who are his models?
(a) Poe and Stevenson.
(b) Whitman and Shelley.
(c) Hawthorne and Williams.
(d) Salinger and Plath.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Blue use to introduce himself to Black during their second conversation?
2. According to the information provided in the first paragraph of Ghosts, who is it that walks through the door, thus beginning the story?
3. Where does the narrator go at the end of Chapter 7 without Sophie and Ben?
4. What summer job does the narrator of The Locked Room have in June of 1970?
5. Where did Fanshawe tell his wife he was going on the day he disappeared?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)