|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 4, Quinn begins to think of preventing Peter Stillman's murder as personal redemption for his inability to prevent the death of whom?
(a) His dog.
(b) His father.
(c) His son.
(d) His wife.
2. How are the two men resembling the photograph of Stillman distinguishable?
(a) One of them has fewer wrinkles.
(b) They are dressed differently.
(c) One of them has brown hair.
(d) They are of different heights.
3. What is the weather like on the day that Stillman does not appear as usual?
(a) It is windy.
(b) It is raining.
(c) It is sunny.
(d) It is snowing.
4. What was Virginia Stillman's profession before she married Peter?
(b) University professor.
(c) Speech therapist.
(d) Private detective.
5. What is the name of the Park where Stillman tends to spend several hours each day?
(a) Riverside Park.
(b) Hudson Park.
(c) Central Park.
(d) McIntire Park.
6. Who held Peter Stillman captive in the dark room for nine years?
(a) His father.
(b) His wife.
(c) His mother.
(d) His brother.
7. What is the name of the hotel where Stillman stays?
(a) The Plaza Hotel.
(b) The Hotel California.
(c) The Hotel Symphony.
(d) The Hotel Harmony.
8. What does Quinn find when he returns to his apartment?
(a) His apartment building has burned down.
(b) Virginia Stillman is there waiting for him.
(c) Paul Auster is living there.
(d) His belongings are gone and another resident is living there.
9. According to the information in Chapter 4, who was the Scottish sailor considered to be the model for Robinson Crusoe?
(a) Captain Hook.
(b) Alexander Selkirk.
(c) Peter of Hanover.
(d) Kaspar Hauser.
10. In Chapter 10, what novel is Paul Auster writing an article about?
(a) Amadis de Gaula.
(b) Don Quixote.
(d) Madame Bovary.
11. According to Stillman's book, what was the biblical Adam's only task in the Garden of Eden?
(a) To eat.
(b) To invent language.
(c) To sleep.
(d) To reproduce.
12. What doubts does Quinn have about the letters from the maps?
(a) Quinn worries that he is missing a letter.
(b) Quinn worries that he misspelled a word.
(c) Quinn worries that he imagined the whole thing.
(d) Quinn worries that Stillman has seen him.
13. What is the title of Quinn's book of poetry?
(a) Business Verses.
(b) Risky Business.
(c) The Business of Poetry.
(d) Unfinished Business.
14. What is the name of the persona that Stillman invents in his book in order to protect himself?
(a) Humpty Dumpty.
(b) Henry Dark.
(c) Max Work.
(d) Henry David Thoreau.
15. How many hours does Quinn sleep each night while living in the alleyway across from the Stillman's apartment?
(a) One to two hours.
(b) Six to eight hours.
(c) Three to four hours.
(d) Eight to nine hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which historical figure was faced with the challenge of standing an egg on its end?
2. In Chapter 7, where does Quinn go to find Stillman?
3. What is the last sentence written in the red notebook?
4. What does Auster plan to do with Virginia Stillman's check?
5. To which two continental philosophers does the narrator credit the concept of the "noble savage"?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)