|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Virginia Stillman's profession before she married Peter?
(b) Private detective.
(c) Speech therapist.
(d) University professor.
2. According to Stillman's notes in Chapter 5, which character does he suspect of not being trustworthy?
(a) Peter Stillman.
(b) The counterman at the luncheonette.
(c) Virginia Stillman.
(d) Paul Auster.
3. What is Quinn wearing when he first begins writing notes about the Stillman case in Chapter 5?
(a) His pajamas.
(b) Nothing; he is naked.
(c) A blue shirt.
(d) Swim trunks.
4. What book is the girl reading with whom Quinn converses in the waiting room?
(a) Paradise Lost by John Milton.
(b) Suicide Squeeze by William Wilson.
(c) The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle.
(d) The New York Triology by Paul Auster.
5. When Quinn first meets Peter Stillman, what color does he associate with him?
6. At the end of Chapter 4, Quinn begins to think of preventing Peter Stillman's murder as personal redemption for his inability to prevent the death of whom?
(a) His dog.
(b) His father.
(c) His son.
(d) His wife.
7. With what name does Quinn introduce himself to Stillman during their second meeting in Chapter 9?
(a) Henry Dark.
(b) Max Work.
(c) Daniel Quinn.
(d) Peter Stillman.
8. How are the two men resembling the photograph of Stillman distinguishable?
(a) One of them has brown hair.
(b) They are dressed differently.
(c) They are of different heights.
(d) One of them has fewer wrinkles.
9. What is the name of the persona that Stillman invents in his book in order to protect himself?
(a) Henry Dark.
(b) Max Work.
(c) Humpty Dumpty.
(d) Henry David Thoreau.
10. How many hours does Quinn sleep each night while living in the alleyway across from the Stillman's apartment?
(a) Eight to nine hours.
(b) Three to four hours.
(c) One to two hours.
(d) Six to eight hours.
11. What instrument does Quinn use for the first drafts of all of his writing?
(a) A computer.
(c) A typewriter.
(d) A pen.
12. Where does Quinn go at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) The Stillman's apartment.
(b) Paul Auster's apartment.
(c) Riverside Park.
(d) Columbia Library.
13. During their third and final meeting in Chapter 9, what name does Quinn give to Stillman?
(a) Max Work.
(b) Peter Stillman.
(c) Henry Dark.
(d) William Wilson.
14. Where does the second meeting between Quinn and Stillman take place in Chapter 9?
(a) The Santa Maria Cafe.
(b) The Mayflower Cafe.
(c) The Pinta Hotel.
(d) The Titanic Hotel.
15. According to Stillman's book, how many years elapsed between the Flood and the Tower of Babel?
(a) 220 years.
(b) 340 years.
(c) 170 years.
(d) 560 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the first face-to-face meeting between Quinn and Stillman take place?
2. What does Quinn do for a living?
3. In Chapter 8, what time does Stillman begin his daily walks?
4. What does Quinn purchase before leaving the luncheonette?
5. Whom is Auster expecting when he opens the door to Quinn?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)