|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Quinn go to read Stillman's book?
(a) The bookstore.
(b) The Stillman's apartment.
(c) The Columbia Library.
(d) Central Park.
2. Where does Quinn go at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) Paul Auster's apartment.
(b) Columbia Library.
(c) The Stillman's apartment.
(d) Riverside Park.
3. Whom is Auster expecting when he opens the door to Quinn?
(a) The landlord.
(b) His daughter.
(c) The repairman.
(d) His wife.
4. With what name does Quinn introduce himself to Stillman during their second meeting in Chapter 9?
(a) Henry Dark.
(b) Max Work.
(c) Peter Stillman.
(d) Daniel Quinn.
5. What instrument does Quinn use for the first drafts of all of his writing?
(a) A pen.
(c) A computer.
(d) A typewriter.
6. In Chapter 1, what is the event that occasions the meeting between Quinn and Stillman?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) A car accident.
(c) A fight.
(d) A telephone call.
7. What is Quinn's pseudonym?
(a) William Wilson.
(b) Peter Stillman.
(c) Thomas Williams.
(d) Max Work.
8. In Chapter 8, what is the message spelled out by the letters of the maps?
(a) THE NEW BABEL.
(b) THE MYTH OF PARADISE.
(c) THE MYTH OF BABEL.
(d) THE TOWER OF BABEL.
9. Where does the second meeting between Quinn and Stillman take place in Chapter 9?
(a) The Titanic Hotel.
(b) The Pinta Hotel.
(c) The Santa Maria Cafe.
(d) The Mayflower Cafe.
10. According to Stillman's notes in Chapter 5, which character does he suspect of not being trustworthy?
(a) Paul Auster.
(b) Virginia Stillman.
(c) The counterman at the luncheonette.
(d) Peter Stillman.
11. What does Quinn do with the clothes he is wearing in Chapter 13?
(a) He takes off all of his clothing and burns it.
(b) He takes off all of his clothes and drops them down the airshaft.
(c) He takes off all of his clothing and washes it.
(d) He takes off all of his clothing and tears it up to make bandages.
12. What was Virginia Stillman's profession before she married Peter?
(a) Private detective.
(b) University professor.
(d) Speech therapist.
13. Who held Peter Stillman captive in the dark room for nine years?
(a) His wife.
(b) His mother.
(c) His brother.
(d) His father.
14. According to Stillman, what secret reference do the initials H.D. have?
(a) Humpty Dumpty.
(b) Henry David Thoreau.
(c) Heraclitus and Democritus.
(d) Henry Dark.
15. What is Quinn reading when the phone rings?
(a) Shakespeare's Hamlet.
(b) Tolstoy's War and Peace.
(c) Steinbeck's Travels with Charley.
(d) Marco Polo's Travels.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens each time Auster tries to reach Virginia Stillman by telephone in Chapter 11?
2. In Chapter 10, how does Quinn contact Auster?
3. What does Peter Stillman have in common with Quinn's son?
4. While living in the alleyway in Chapter 12, at what time does Quinn do his grocery shopping each morning?
5. In Chapter 2, who greets Quinn at the apartment door?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)