|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book is the girl reading with whom Quinn converses in the waiting room?
(a) Paradise Lost by John Milton.
(b) The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle.
(c) The New York Triology by Paul Auster.
(d) Suicide Squeeze by William Wilson.
2. What does Quinn do to alleviate his boredom while following Stillman?
(a) He sings to himself.
(b) He draws pictures of horses in the red notebook.
(c) He records meticulous details about Stillman in the red notebook.
(d) He writes love letters to Virginia Stillman in the red notebook.
3. After Quinn figures out the message, how many days does he estimate are left before Stillman makes a move to harm Peter?
(a) One day.
(b) Two days.
(c) Seven days.
(d) Four days.
4. What is Quinn's pseudonym?
(a) Max Work.
(b) Thomas Williams.
(c) Peter Stillman.
(d) William Wilson.
5. What happens each time Auster tries to reach Virginia Stillman by telephone in Chapter 11?
(a) He speaks to Virginia Stillman.
(b) He speaks to the Stillman's maid.
(c) He gets a busy signal.
(d) He speaks to Peter Stillman.
6. What was Virginia Stillman's profession before she married Peter?
(b) Private detective.
(c) Speech therapist.
(d) University professor.
7. Why does Quinn decide that fate is telling him that he cannot quit the Stillman case?
(a) Because he flips a coin and it comes up heads.
(b) Because he finds a photograph of Peter in the park.
(c) Because he is unable to reach Virginia Stillman.
(d) Because he finds a copy of Stillman's book in a shop.
8. According to Stillman, how is man like an egg?
(a) Like an egg, man is easily cracked.
(b) Like an egg, man is pure potential; he is not fully realized.
(c) Like an egg, man is tempramental.
(d) Like an egg, man is white.
9. With what name does Quinn introduce himself to Stillman during their second meeting in Chapter 9?
(a) Max Work.
(b) Henry Dark.
(c) Daniel Quinn.
(d) Peter Stillman.
10. Whom is Auster expecting when he opens the door to Quinn?
(a) The repairman.
(b) His daughter.
(c) His wife.
(d) The landlord.
11. While living in the alleyway in Chapter 12, at what time does Quinn do his grocery shopping each morning?
(a) Eight o'clock in the morning.
(b) Six-thirty in the morning.
(c) Ten o'clock in the morning.
(d) Three-thirty in the morning.
12. From which historic landmark does Quinn telephone Virginia Stillman for the thirteenth time?
(a) The Pentagon.
(b) The Empire State Building.
(c) The World Trade Center.
(d) The Statue of Liberty.
13. Where does the second meeting between Quinn and Stillman take place in Chapter 9?
(a) The Mayflower Cafe.
(b) The Santa Maria Cafe.
(c) The Pinta Hotel.
(d) The Titanic Hotel.
14. What is the title of Quinn's book of poetry?
(a) The Business of Poetry.
(b) Business Verses.
(c) Risky Business.
(d) Unfinished Business.
15. What does Quinn purchase before leaving the luncheonette?
(a) A bag of potato chips.
(b) A magazine.
(c) A red notebook.
(d) A blue notebook.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which text does Stillman use as the basis of his argument about the fall of man in his book?
2. What do Auster and the narrator find in the Stillman's apartment?
3. In Chapter 1, what is the event that occasions the meeting between Quinn and Stillman?
4. In Chapter 12, what does Quinn spend many hours doing each day while he is living in the alleyway?
5. What does Auster plan to do with Virginia Stillman's check?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)