|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Auster plan to do with Virginia Stillman's check?
(a) Destroy the check.
(b) Accept the money and buy toys for his son.
(c) Cash the check and split the money with Quinn.
(d) Cash it for Quinn and give him the money,
2. Where does the second meeting between Quinn and Stillman take place in Chapter 9?
(a) The Pinta Hotel.
(b) The Mayflower Cafe.
(c) The Titanic Hotel.
(d) The Santa Maria Cafe.
3. What does Quinn consider to be the ideal relationship between a detective and his client?
(a) They should be unaware of each other's work.
(b) They should live together.
(c) They should maintain close contact.
(d) They should meet once per week.
4. How much money does Quinn withdraw from the automatic teller at the end of Chapter 11?
(a) Three hundred and forty-nine dollars.
(b) Five hundred dollars.
(c) Five hundred and forty-nine dollars.
(d) Three hundred dollars.
5. What does Virginia Stillman do after she walks Quinn to the door in Chapter 3?
(b) Kisses him.
(c) Slaps him.
(d) Begins to cry.
6. Where does the first face-to-face meeting between Quinn and Stillman take place?
(a) At Peter Stillman's apartment.
(b) At a restaurant.
(c) On the train.
(d) In Riverside Park.
7. Why does Quinn decide that fate is telling him that he cannot quit the Stillman case?
(a) Because he finds a photograph of Peter in the park.
(b) Because he flips a coin and it comes up heads.
(c) Because he finds a copy of Stillman's book in a shop.
(d) Because he is unable to reach Virginia Stillman.
8. What is the name of the persona that Stillman invents in his book in order to protect himself?
(a) Henry David Thoreau.
(b) Humpty Dumpty.
(c) Max Work.
(d) Henry Dark.
9. Which historical figure was faced with the challenge of standing an egg on its end?
10. What does Quinn do to alleviate his boredom while following Stillman?
(a) He draws pictures of horses in the red notebook.
(b) He records meticulous details about Stillman in the red notebook.
(c) He writes love letters to Virginia Stillman in the red notebook.
(d) He sings to himself.
11. When Quinn first meets Peter Stillman, what color does he associate with him?
12. At the end of Chapter 4, Quinn begins to think of preventing Peter Stillman's murder as personal redemption for his inability to prevent the death of whom?
(a) His dog.
(b) His son.
(c) His father.
(d) His wife.
13. In Chapter 8, what is the message spelled out by the letters of the maps?
(a) THE TOWER OF BABEL.
(b) THE MYTH OF PARADISE.
(c) THE NEW BABEL.
(d) THE MYTH OF BABEL.
14. What was Virginia Stillman's profession before she married Peter?
(b) University professor.
(c) Speech therapist.
(d) Private detective.
15. What does Peter Stillman have in common with Quinn's son?
(a) They are the same height.
(b) They are the same age.
(c) They are both named Peter.
(d) They both are Mets fans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the Stillman family from?
2. In Chapter 7, where does Quinn go to find Stillman?
3. What book is the girl reading with whom Quinn converses in the waiting room?
4. Why does Quinn decide not to continue following the second Stillman and to instead turn around and follow the first?
5. In Chapter 8, what time does Stillman begin his daily walks?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)