|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Jay is playing with Hailie, what subject do they discuss at length?
2. Who says goodbye to Sinon before he leaves for Ombey?
3. What does Mzu give Capone that makes Voi extremely angry about on Nyvan?
4. When the possessed find the broken toilet and try to follow, Rubra releases________ from the toilets all over the starscraper.
5. Who jumps out of stasis after the Lady Mac is used to accelerate out of danger at forty-two gees?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rocio going to Capone help Gerard in his mission?
2. How does Quinn's operations room evoke images of genocide?
3. Why does Monica press a gun to Joshua's back after escaping the basin?
4. What is the power inherent in the Alchemist?
5. How is Rocio's hellhawk emblematic of his desire for freedom?
6. Why are the Edenists willing to accept the hellhawk in Chapter 13?
7. What is the cliffhanger pertaining to Tranquility at the end of the book?
8. What creates heavy conflict on Nyvan without any reason as the factions close in on Mzu trying to escape with the Alchemist?
9. How do Samuel, Mzu, and Monica try to escape the possessed via the basin?
10. What are some advantages that the possessed have over the living?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Intuition has particular significance in "The Neutronium Alchemist Conflict." What is the significance of having intuition in the story? Who chases after intuition? Who has intuition? Who loses intuition? Who gains intuition? What does Hamilton ultimately say about intuition through the characters of Calvert and Mzu and what is the importance of this discovery and the characters' role?
Essay Topic 2
Technology is a recurring theme in "The Neutronium Alchemist Conflict." What advancements occur in technology? Describe some of the tools, equipment, and changes. How accurate are they? Do these changes result in positive or negative consequences?
Essay Topic 3
Calvert and Mzu are two of the most active characters in determining the plot of the story.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different? Compare and contrast.
Part 2) What are some events that Calvert had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Mzu had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)