|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who rescues Monica from the possessed in the foundry?
2. When the gas giant goes nova, where does the ship head to immediately after?
3. What does Mzu give Capone that makes Voi extremely angry about on Nyvan?
4. What is High York?
5. What does Rubra jettison as Tatiana is rescued by the Edenist voidhawks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when a possessed is killed?
2. How have the main characters of Mzu, Joshua, Liol, Samuel, Monica, and others grown by the end of the novel?
3. Why are Quinn's officers afraid of him?
4. Why is Rocio uncomfortable with the idea of working with the Edenists?
5. How is Rocio different from other souls that are possessed?
6. How does Quinn view the planet Nyvan from above like a prophet?
7. When is a person able to escape the Anstid?
8. How are the fates of Louise and Genevieve left uncertain at the end of the book?
9. How is Quinn's deranged mental state evident in the bloody massacre of Dwyer?
10. Why do Dariat and Rubra want to fuse their powers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Psychic phenomena is another important theme of Hamilton's book. Where and how are these phenomena revealed and in what ways? Do they change over time? Do they evoke certain emotions in characters and do they promote change or transformation?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Hamilton's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why Hamilton used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
"The Neutronium Alchemist Conflict" is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve, visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic, and kinesthetic. Hamilton uses these imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this novel.
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)