|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last battle waged in the book described as?
2. When the Mindor approaches Valisk with the Deadnights, who does Joshua find in bed with Gerard?
3. What kills Bonney?
4. Whose ship makes contact with the Mindor, a blackhawk turned hellhawk possessed by Rocio Condra?
5. What does Dariat put Tatiana and his body in before leaving the body to join his soul with the habitat's neural strata?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the cliffhanger pertaining to Tranquility at the end of the book?
2. How are the fates of Louise and Genevieve left uncertain at the end of the book?
3. What is the power inherent in the Alchemist?
4. Why is Rocio uncomfortable with the idea of working with the Edenists?
5. What happens when a possessed is killed?
6. How is Rocio different from other souls that are possessed?
7. How is Rocio's hellhawk emblematic of his desire for freedom?
8. Why does Quinn torture the Christian priest?
9. How does Quinn view the planet Nyvan from above like a prophet?
10. Why is Bonney intent on killing Dariat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Human origins are discussed at length in Foundations' Edge? How did humanity evolve?? How has humanity colonized and expanded its territory in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Hamilton employs bold and and effective language with some powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it, and identify the technique which it embodies.
Essay Topic 3
Intuition has particular significance in "The Neutronium Alchemist Conflict." What is the significance of having intuition in the story? Who chases after intuition? Who has intuition? Who loses intuition? Who gains intuition? What does Hamilton ultimately say about intuition through the characters of Calvert and Mzu and what is the importance of this discovery and the characters' role?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)