|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of ritual does Quinn conduct on Jesup to bind his followers to him?
2. Why does Jacqueline kill the other prisoners held by the Confederation army before the marines arrive?
3. What is Jamrana?
4. Who says goodbye to Sinon before he leaves for Ombey?
5. When the voidhawks engage the Organization ships in combat, what networks of the planet are forced to retaliate on Nyvan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Quinn's operations room evoke images of genocide?
2. How does Bonney transform herself to attack Dariat?
3. What creates heavy conflict on Nyvan without any reason as the factions close in on Mzu trying to escape with the Alchemist?
4. How does Quinn view the planet Nyvan from above like a prophet?
5. What happens when a possessed is killed?
6. How can Gerard, Beth, and Rocio take down Kiera if they work together?
7. Why does Quinn torture the Christian priest?
8. What is the power inherent in the Alchemist?
9. How is Quinn's deranged mental state evident in the bloody massacre of Dwyer?
10. How is Rocio's hellhawk emblematic of his desire for freedom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Hamilton's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why Hamilton used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in "The Neutronium Alchemist Conflict." Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Hamilton uses some important instances of foreshadowing in "The Neutronium Alchemist Conflict." Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)