|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mzu give Capone that makes Voi extremely angry about on Nyvan?
2. What is Sinon willing to become in order to help liberate Mortonridge?
3. What is Jamrana?
4. Who does Baranovich throw to death from a walkway inside the foundry?
5. As the Organization ships close in, who launches the Alchemist at the gas giant, setting it to its most destructive capabilities?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Rocio different from other souls that are possessed?
2. How is Rocio's hellhawk emblematic of his desire for freedom?
3. What happens when a possessed goes to zero tau?
4. What are some advantages that the possessed have over the living?
5. How can Gerard, Beth, and Rocio take down Kiera if they work together?
6. Why does Monica press a gun to Joshua's back after escaping the basin?
7. Why do Dariat and Rubra want to fuse their powers?
8. How does Bonney transform herself to attack Dariat?
9. How are the fates of Louise and Genevieve left uncertain at the end of the book?
10. When is a person able to escape the Anstid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hamilton uses more than one iteration on the motif of intelligence. Identify at least two motifs about cunning and intelligence in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Hamilton's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why Hamilton used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Psychic phenomena is another important theme of Hamilton's book. Where and how are these phenomena revealed and in what ways? Do they change over time? Do they evoke certain emotions in characters and do they promote change or transformation?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)