|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Voi's ex-lover?
2. Where will the Deadkids have to be taken according to Jed?
3. Who does Moyo meet that is straight from the hippy era of Earth on Ombey?
4. Who is the Admiral that warns against fighting Capone after his victory at Arnstadt?
5. What does Cochrane fix with Moyo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Edenists question atheist beliefs after encountering the possessed?
2. Why does the Alchemist pose a threat?
3. What motivates the possessed to help Capone?
4. How are the DeadKnights described in Chapter 1?
5. While Rubra feels responsibility for the people he cares for and protects, are his motives altruistic?
6. Why does Capone want the Alchemist?
7. To whom does Capone appeal before going to war in the Confederation, and what is his message?
8. How is Syrinx considered a tourist?
9. What does Ralph struggle with letting go of when the government presses him?
10. How is Louise different once she leaves Norfolk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hamilton uses more than one iteration on the motif of intelligence. Identify at least two motifs about cunning and intelligence in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 2
Hamilton uses more than one instance of irony in "The Neutronium Alchemist Conflict." Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Zero-tau is a form of stasis that will freeze a person or thing in the space-time-continuum. How does time move and change as a result? Which characters express this and in what ways? How is sensory feeling suspended?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)