|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the piece of clothing that will protect Erick from the vacuum of space?
2. Where does Syrinx go using the voidhawk that is mind-linked to a ship captain and meets aliens?
3. Who found the hidden bomb on Villeneuve's Revenge?
4. Who is the victim that Rubra offers Bonney?
5. What group does Ralph Hiltch, Kelman and Prince Collis need help from to aid them in their plans to free Mortonridge of the possessed on Ombrey?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Capone embody instead of instill fear for the people of the Confederation?
2. How does Quinn verify in his own mind the existence of a dark entity?
3. How is Joshua similar to Syrinx?
4. How do Joshua and the people of Ayacucho respond to near-death experiences?
5. What does Quinn's concept of religion encompass in terms of temples?
6. What does Ralph struggle with letting go of when the government presses him?
7. How does Mzu escape detection from Joshua when she is busy concocting her plans for revenge?
8. What is the worst fear that Edenists have about death?
9. What is the significance of the inverted cross for Quinn?
10. How do the younger generation of the Garissan refugees differ from the older one?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hamilton uses more than one instance of irony in "The Neutronium Alchemist Conflict." Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
"The Neutronium Alchemist Conflict" is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve, visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic, and kinesthetic. Hamilton uses these imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
Hamilton uses more than one iteration on the motif of intelligence. Identify at least two motifs about cunning and intelligence in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)