|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Duchamp, Erick and the rest of the crew of the Villeneuve's Revenge arrive at, explaining that they are defectors from Capone?
2. What are the medical packages called in "The Neutronium Alchemist"?
3. What kind of expert is Lodi?
4. What is the region on the Kulu planet Ombey where Moyo is looking for transport?
5. What is the Nyvan's asteroid that Quinn lands upon?
Short Essay Questions
1. To whom does Capone appeal before going to war in the Confederation, and what is his message?
2. How does Mzu escape detection from Joshua when she is busy concocting her plans for revenge?
3. Why do Edenists question atheist beliefs after encountering the possessed?
4. How does Capone embody instead of instill fear for the people of the Confederation?
5. As the book opens, why is Mzu on the asteroid?
6. How do Joshua and the people of Ayacucho respond to near-death experiences?
7. What happens when Joshua tries to exorcise a possessed man?
8. What is the worst fear that Edenists have about death?
9. What does the Admiral feel that any war fought against Capone will create?
10. Why is it ironic that Rubra cares about the people he protects?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power in society is a prevailing theme of "The Neutronium Alchemist Conflict." Hamilton frequently refers to this theme, painting the picture of scholarly knowledge being rewarded by power. Which characters appear honest and which appear corrupt and why? Which characters appear to rise above corruption even if they were initially vulnerable to it? What is your opinion of the society that Hamilton describes?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in "The Neutronium Alchemist Conflict." Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Zero-tau is a form of stasis that will freeze a person or thing in the space-time-continuum. How does time move and change as a result? Which characters express this and in what ways? How is sensory feeling suspended?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)