|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of a mission is Mzu on?
2. What do Voi and Mzu sneak out on, avoiding the security blocks in the spaceport, to head to a place with military industrial facilities?
3. Who is the Admiral that warns against fighting Capone after his victory at Arnstadt?
4. Who is Voi's ex-lover?
5. On what spaceship does Joshua clear the crew and his ship of the nanonic surveillance devices that were planted on them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Capone miscalculate about the people of the Confederation?
2. While Rubra feels responsibility for the people he cares for and protects, are his motives altruistic?
3. How do Joshua and the people of Ayacucho respond to near-death experiences?
4. How is Joshua similar to Syrinx?
5. What motivates the possessed to help Capone?
6. What is the worst fear that Edenists have about death?
7. How is Syrinx considered a tourist?
8. What does the Admiral feel that any war fought against Capone will create?
9. How does Quinn verify in his own mind the existence of a dark entity?
10. How does Capone win at Arnstadt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Human origins are discussed at length in Foundations' Edge? How did humanity evolve?? How has humanity colonized and expanded its territory in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Hamilton uses more than one iteration on the motif of intelligence. Identify at least two motifs about cunning and intelligence in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for "The Neutronium Alchemist Conflict." What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. How do these settings even if imaginary, reflect modern settings or culture? Why did the author choose to use these places in "The Neutronium Alchemist Conflict"?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)