|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What transportation method do Merry and her grandmother use to get to their destination in #35?
(c) Staten Island Ferry.
2. What could account for Lulu and Merry's mother's immature behavior?
(a) She was a teenager when she got pregnant and married.
(b) She was always spoiled at home.
(c) She was beautiful and catered to.
(d) She never had any responsibilities.
3. How much time has passed since Celeste's death?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 5 years.
(d) I8 months.
4. How does Lulu's grandmother react when Lulu asks to see Merry in the hospital?
(a) She screams at her.
(b) She throws a book at her.
(c) She ignores her.
(d) She gets a migraine.
5. Where does Lulu's mother send Merry during the argument?
(a) The shed.
(b) Her bedroom.
(c) The bathroom.
(d) The neighbor's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Merry and her grandmother buy on each outing in #35?
2. What does Grandma Zelda have Merry do when she and Lulu arrive at her house?
3. Who is Lulu and Merry's paternal grandmother?
4. What kind of car does Dr. Cohen drive?
5. What does the bully take from Merry and her friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lulu coyly work her way into Mrs. Cohen's sympathy?
2. In Chapter 1, how does Joey get into the house and what do Lulu and Merry do as their parents fight?
3. What are some of the things that happen to Merry at the hands of bullies at the orphanage?
4. What reason does Joey give to Merry for why he stabbed her that day?
5. How do family members treat Lulu and Merry because of their father?
6. Into whose home do Lulu and Merry move in as foster children and what directions does Lulu give Merry about how to behave and what to say?
7. Who is Aunt Cilla and why does she refuse to take Lulu and Merry into her home?
8. What obligation does Merry feel toward her father?
9. How does Lulu describe her parents in the first chapters of the book?
10. What conflicting emotions does Merry have when Dr. Cohen takes her to the prison to see her father?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)