|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ben first sees Ashley in Chapter 1, he compares her to Winona Ryder in what movie based on her appearance?
2. At approximately what elevation did the plane crash in The Mountain Between Us?
3. How far from Ben does he say Rachel lives in Chapter 22?
4. What was the name of the man that Ben describes operating on after he was shot in Chapter 21?
5. In Chapter 19, Ben uses a metaphor to describe a broken heart. What does he compare a broken heart to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ashley in the airport in the beginning of the novel? What is her objective?
2. What does Ben discern about their situation once he makes it to the crest of the mountain on which the plane crashed?
3. Why is Ben at the airport in the beginning of the novel? What is his objective?
4. How does Ben manage to kill the mountain lion?
5. Describe the setting, mood, and tone of the novel that is illustrated in the Prelude. How does the author establish this mood and tone?
6. What role does running play in the narrative?
7. In which direction do Ben and Ashley set out when they leave the crash site? Why?
8. Where and how does Ben bury Grover?
9. How does Ben describe his and Rachel's move to Jacksonville from Denver?
10. Who is Grover and what role does he play in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism of the loggerhead turtles in The Mountain Between Us. What do the turtles represent to Ben? What did they mean to Rachel? Where does their imagery appear in the narrative and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Vince in the novel. What does the reader come to learn about Vince through Ashley? What role do you think Vince plays in the novel's plot? What does Vince symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's employment of irony in The Mountain Between Us. What are examples of verbal irony employed by the main characters? What are examples of dramatic irony and situational irony in the novel?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)