|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Ben call in order to help to secure a scholarship for his wife in college?
2. How was Ben injured by his father after winning the state championships his senior year of high school?
3. Approximately how many miles off course was the plane when it crashed, according to Ben's calculations in Chapter 7?
4. For how many hours have Ben and Ashley been sleeping when Ben awakens in Chapter 7?
5. What gift did Ben's wife give him on their honeymoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does running play in the narrative?
2. What led to the physical fight between Ben and his father?
3. Where are Ben and Ashley traveling when their plane goes down? Why?
4. What is Ben's favorite gift he gave to Rachel? Why?
5. How is Ben's father described in the narrative?
6. Who is Grover and what role does he play in the novel?
7. Why is Ashley in the airport in the beginning of the novel? What is her objective?
8. Why is Ben at the airport in the beginning of the novel? What is his objective?
9. In which direction do Ben and Ashley set out when they leave the crash site? Why?
10. How does Ben describe the impact of his relationship with Rachel on his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of imagery and symbolism in The Mountain Between Us. What are examples of similes and metaphors employed by the author? How do these literary devices help the reader gain insight into the setting and characters in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of running in The Mountain Between Us. What compelled Ben to become a track star? Why did he stop pursuing track? How does his experience give him an advantage in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think that Ben does not reveal the truth of his situation with Rachel to Ashley? In what ways does this prevent their connection? Would you have done the same? Why or why not?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)