|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ben say his wife once nominated herself as in Chapter 12?
2. What does Ben attempt to shoot with the bow and arrow in Chapter 15?
3. For how many hours have Ben and Ashley been sleeping when Ben awakens in Chapter 7?
4. How far from Ben does he say Rachel lives in Chapter 22?
5. What was the name of the man that Ben describes operating on after he was shot in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ben attend to Ashley's injuries after the crash?
2. How does Ben describe his and Rachel's move to Jacksonville from Denver?
3. How does Ben manage to kill the mountain lion?
4. Why is Ben at the airport in the beginning of the novel? What is his objective?
5. What memory of the loggerhead turtles does Ben relate?
6. What is the significance of the tracks that Ben sees near the plane in Chapter 12?
7. What led to the physical fight between Ben and his father?
8. How does Ben describe his college years?
9. Who is Grover and what role does he play in the novel?
10. Describe the setting, mood, and tone of the novel that is illustrated in the Prelude. How does the author establish this mood and tone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think that Ben does not reveal the truth of his situation with Rachel to Ashley? In what ways does this prevent their connection? Would you have done the same? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Who or what is the central antagonist in The Mountain Between Us? In what ways is this demonstrated? How does this antagonist create conflict in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the plot structure of The Mountain Between Us. Where in the narrative does the rising action occur? What is the climax of the story? What does the reader learn in the falling action and denouement?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)