|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift did Ben's wife give him on their honeymoon?
2. Who encouraged Ben to become a doctor?
3. Where were Ben and his wife when Ben proposed marriage to her?
4. Ben tells Ashley as they set out in Chapter 21, "Every step away from this place is one step closer to" what (140)?
5. What does Ben use to sew up the stitches on Ashley after the crash?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ben describe the day that he became engaged to Rachel?
2. What does Ben reveal about Rachel to Ashley after they have first left the crash site?
3. How does Ben describe his and Rachel's move to Jacksonville from Denver?
4. What role does running play in the narrative?
5. How does Ben describe his college years?
6. How is Ben's father described in the narrative?
7. How does Ben manage to travel with Ashley despite her injuries?
8. What injuries does Ben sustain in the plane crash?
9. Discuss the different styles of narration in The Mountain Between Us. How are these styles differentiated?
10. How does Ben describe his first meeting with Rachel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Rachel in the novel. What does Rachel's character symbolize to Ben? What does she represent to Ashley? What is ultimately revealed about Rachel's character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrative style of The Mountain Between Us. From whose perspective is the story related? Why do you think the author made this choice? How would the novel differ if related from a different narrative perspective?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think that Ben does not reveal the truth of his situation with Rachel to Ashley? In what ways does this prevent their connection? Would you have done the same? Why or why not?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)