|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mr. Brewster say showed him the path?
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(b) Frederick Douglas.
(c) Malcolm X.
(d) Michael Douglas.
2. What does Homer use to dig through the dirt?
(a) A spade.
(b) A spoon.
(c) His hands.
(d) The spindle.
3. Why does Homer's uncle hate his house?
(a) His rent is too high.
(b) His floor boards creak.
(c) His roof leaks.
(d) His windows let in a draught.
4. Why does Homer think Mr. Brewster couldn't keep a secret?
(a) He talks too much.
(b) He is too open.
(c) He can't lie.
(d) He doesn't think about what he is saying.
5. What does Smelt say they are going to do to Homer's ear?
(a) Burst its drum.
(b) Cut it off.
(c) Pierce it.
(d) Pin it back.
6. What have Stink and Smelt built a shelter out of?
(a) Spruce boughs.
(b) Silver birch.
(c) Olive branches.
(d) Tree bark.
7. Why does Mr. Brewster say he can't get a gun?
(a) Guns are illegal.
(b) He is sworn to peace.
(c) He doesn't have the money.
(d) He can't leave his house.
8. Why is it illegal for Harold to join the army?
(a) He is only seventeen.
(b) He has a bad injury to his knee.
(c) He was not born in America.
(d) He is registered as a female.
9. What is Squint laughing like when Homer gets the stone?
(a) A hyena.
(b) A mole.
(c) A dog.
(d) A rat.
10. Why does Homer say it wouldn't be a good idea to kill Samuel?
(a) They would be put on trial for murder.
(b) They could use him as their own slave.
(c) They could hand him in and become heroes.
(d) They could sell him.
11. What does Homer say most folks keep in a root cellar?
12. Who took thirty dollars from the sale of Harold?
(b) The Sheriff.
(d) The Judge.
13. What does Mr. Brewster say Homer should do?
(a) Go home.
(b) Join the army.
(c) Move to the city and find a job.
(d) Whatever is true to him.
14. How does Mr. Brewster almost make the windows rattle?
(a) He stamps his feet.
(b) He claps his hands.
(c) He sighs.
(d) He yawns.
15. What does Mrs. Bean suggest made Homer talk so much?
(b) Lack of food.
(c) Lack of sleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the meanest man in Bangor used to do for fun?
2. What does Mr. Brewster offer to show Homer the secret of?
3. What does Mrs. Bean say is amazing about the snake in Homer's story?
4. Why does Homer's uncle hate Bob the horse?
5. What state would Smelt and Stink have to return Samuel to?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)