|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul do in school that shows his thriving status there?
2. What does Norah run into with her car on her anniversary?
3. What does Norah dream about after giving birth?
4. What is David's occupation?
5. What is the first sickness Phoebe gets?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did meeting David cause Caroline to give up her dreams?
2. What did David promise Norah when he saw the gift she got for him for their anniversary?
3. What does David think about while looking at a geode?
4. Why does Norah regret buying the camera for David?
5. What happens when David comes to visit Caroline at her apartment?
6. What does Norah do while visiting her old house?
7. What interrupts the party Norah planned?
8. What happens unexpectedly when Norah gives birth?
9. What can Norah hear from her front lawn after taking down the wasps nest, and what does this tell her?
10. What happens while Norah is driving home on the night of her anniversary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were some of the main differences between Phoebe and most of the other people around her? How did some people respond to these differences?
Essay Topic 2
What was the significance of the title of the book, and what role did it play in the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot, especially as Norah deals with the death of her daughter. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)