|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Caroline give up her hopes of opening a clinic in another country?
2. Why did David choose his profession?
3. Why does Caroline try to slap a nurse?
4. Why is David late to celebrate his anniversary?
5. Why are Down's Syndrome children NOT accepted into public schools?
Short Essay Questions
1. What interrupts the party Norah planned?
2. Why is Caroline so surprised when she sees a notice for Phoebe's memorial service?
3. What does Norah ask David not to do at the party, and why?
4. What does Caroline write in a letter, and why does she never send it?
5. What does Norah do while visiting her old house?
6. Why does Norah regret buying the camera for David?
7. Where does Norah get a job, and how does David react to this?
8. Why did David choose his profession?
9. When did Caroline gain a special bond with David?
10. Why does David not want to have another child with Norah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in this book, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)