|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caroline do when she stops her car on her journey with the baby?
2. What is happening to the girl with long hair that Caroline sees in the institution?
3. What does David like to look for at the river?
4. Why does Norah regret buying David the camera?
5. Where did David's parents never feel comfortable?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does David not want to have another child with Norah?
2. What does Caroline tell her nosy neighbor after Al is seen at her house?
3. Why are Norah and David vacationing in Aruba?
4. What does Norah say she hates about David?
5. What does Norah think when Bree talks about her boyfriend betraying her?
6. Why doesn't David like Mark?
7. What does Norah ask David not to do at the party, and why?
8. Where does Norah get a job, and how does David react to this?
9. What does Norah do to calm her nerves while Paul is in school?
10. What interrupts the party Norah planned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Al is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
David's past largely affected the course of David's life. What experiences from his past had this influence, and how did these influences change his relationships with others?
Essay Topic 3
Education and the importance of training is a constant theme in this book. Where does this theme appear, and which characters are most affected by it?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)