|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Norah some wine as a gift?
2. What does Norah like to do at the river?
3. What does Norah name her healthy son?
4. What does Al do to calm Caroline down?
5. Why did David choose his profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did David choose his profession?
2. What happens unexpectedly when Norah gives birth?
3. What does Norah do while visiting her old house?
4. What happens when Paul takes Phoebe to visit David's grave?
5. What does David say to Rosemary when he awakens, tied up in his old house?
6. What does David think about while looking at a geode?
7. What does Norah do to calm her nerves while Paul is in school?
8. Why is Caroline so surprised when she sees a notice for Phoebe's memorial service?
9. What does Caroline tell her nosy neighbor after Al is seen at her house?
10. Why does David not want to have another child with Norah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Comic relief was a literary tool used well by Kim Edwards in this book. What are some of the key examples of this, and how did these scenes affect the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Education and the importance of training is a constant theme in this book. Where does this theme appear, and which characters are most affected by it?
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)