|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is built now where the man Caroline is a caretaker for once picked flowers?
2. What did David used to catch as a child?
3. What does Caroline's roommate have a Ph.D. in?
4. Why does Caroline give up her hopes of opening a clinic in another country?
5. Where does Caroline agree to marry Al?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Norah do to calm her nerves while Paul is in school?
2. What does David think about while he looks through the pictures Caroline left him?
3. Why is Caroline so surprised when she sees a notice for Phoebe's memorial service?
4. What does Phebe say about weddings while at Norah's wedding?
5. Why has David been unable to be intimate with Norah?
6. What happens while Norah is driving home on the night of her anniversary?
7. What does Norah tell Paul she understands now that she knows about Phoebe?
8. When did Caroline gain a special bond with David?
9. When does Caroline realize that she has to keep Phoebe?
10. What do Norah and Paul talk about when Paul learns that his father has died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Education and the importance of training is a constant theme in this book. Where does this theme appear, and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in this book, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
David's past largely affected the course of David's life. What experiences from his past had this influence, and how did these influences change his relationships with others?
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)