|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Yoshida after his play is shut down?
2. What does Mochida explain to Jiro?
3. Why is Jiro irritable as Kinshi practices?
4. What does Okada ask Jiro to do?
5. What is going to be the entrance fee for a special showing of "The Thief of the Tokaido"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jiro manage to get Kinshi his role back in the play?
2. What does Jiro think about concerning arranging a meeting with Saburo?
3. What does Yoshida ask Jiro and then tell Jiro to do?
4. How does Yoshida react when his play is shut down and what does he decide to do?
5. Describe the latest theft Saburo pulls off.
6. What does Jiro conclude after seeing the Samurai sword?
7. How does Jiro discover a Samurai sword?
8. What happens when the boys are sewing and practicing later that night and how does Yoshida react?
9. What part is Kinshi assigned in the new play and what does Jiro learn as they go to get puppets for Kinshi to practice?
10. What does Okada tell Tozo after Jiro leaves Okada?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Katherine Peterson.
2. What in Peterson's background may have helped him in writing The Master Puppeteer? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
The samurai were military nobility who followed a strict code of honor called Bushido. This meant that they dedicated their fighting skills to their master and were supposed to serve him honorably, even to the extent of giving their life for his.
1. Do you think having such a strict code of honor could actually make a samurai act dishonorably? Why or why not? Use examples from The Master Puppeteer to support your reasoning.
2. Discuss, in depth, how fighting and dying for one master might affect a person's character and life. Use examples from The Master Puppeteer to support your reasoning.
3. After research, explain what is meant by code of honor in feudal Japan. What are some of the rules of the Japanese feudal code of honor? Use examples from The Master Puppeteer to support your reasoning.
4. How do you think American soldiers might feel about a code of honor based on the Japanese samurai code? Use examples from The Master Puppeteer to support your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in The Master Puppeteer? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Master Puppeteer including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Master Puppeteer and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)