|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jiro find where he is preparing to practice?
2. What does a fishmonger arrive to tell those at the theater?
3. How do the boys decide to give Kinshi his role back?
4. What does Yoshida tell the boys to get?
5. What do the other boys do for Kinshi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Yoshida ask Jiro and then tell Jiro to do?
2. What does Okada tell Tozo after Jiro leaves Okada?
3. What happens when the boys are sewing and practicing later that night and how does Yoshida react?
4. Describe the conversation between Okada and Jiro.
5. What does Okada tell Jiro and how does Jiro react?
6. How does Jiro manage to get Kinshi his role back in the play?
7. How does Jiro arrange the meeting with Okada?
8. What does the assistant magistrate first tell Yoshida and what does the assistant magistrate later say?
9. What does Jiro beg Kinshi to do and what is Kinshi's reply?
10. What does Kinshi say to Jiro the next morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Master Puppeteer belongs to the youth historical fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the youth historical fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a youth historical fiction and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Master Puppeteer is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Master Puppeteer based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Master Puppeteer is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider The Master Puppeteer a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)