|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Hanji disguised as?
2. How does Jiro respond to Yashida's questioning?
3. What is Jiro shocked when the play opens that night?
4. What does Mochida ask Jiro the next morning?
5. How is the play doing as Spring rolls around?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jiro discover a Samurai sword?
2. What does Okada tell Tozo after Jiro leaves Okada?
3. What happens when the boys are sewing and practicing later that night and how does Yoshida react?
4. What does the assistant magistrate first tell Yoshida and what does the assistant magistrate later say?
5. What does Jiro think about concerning arranging a meeting with Saburo?
6. How does Jiro arrange the meeting with Okada?
7. What does Hanji tell Jiro and offer to do, and what is Jiro's response?
8. What is pinned on the door of the theater and how does Yoshida respond?
9. How does Jiro manage to get Kinshi his role back in the play?
10. What does Jiro find when he goes into the storeroom and what happens as he trying to decide what to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Master Puppeteer is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an important part of what makes The Master Puppeteer interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Jiro. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Kinshi. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Saburo. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in The Master Puppeteer? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Master Puppeteer including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Master Puppeteer and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)