|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jiro want his mother to do when he sees her in the audience?
2. What does Jira say he will try to arrange for Kinshi?
3. Who is at the door one night when Jiro and Kinshi hear a banging sound?
4. What does Yoshida tell the boys to get?
5. How does Kinshi get out of his chores?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Okada tell Tozo after Jiro leaves Okada?
2. How does Yoshida react when his play is shut down and what does he decide to do?
3. How does Jiro manage to get Kinshi his role back in the play?
4. What happens in the theater when the play is over and how does the assistant magistrate react?
5. How does Joman avoid being executed?
6. What is the story that the puppeteer tells Jiro?
7. What does Kinshi say to Jiro the next morning?
8. What does the assistant magistrate first tell Yoshida and what does the assistant magistrate later say?
9. What does Yoshida ask Jiro and then tell Jiro to do?
10. How does Jiro discover a Samurai sword?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Master Puppeteer based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Master Puppeteer is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider The Master Puppeteer a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of interesting questions raised by The Master Puppeteer. Questions that Peterson most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Peterson' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Peterson' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Peterson and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in The Master Puppeteer? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Master Puppeteer including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Master Puppeteer and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)