Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the bird on the crest of the Samurai who visits Yoshida?
2. What does Okada ask Jiro to do?
3. Who does Okada tell Tozo to send for?
4. What does Yoshida tell the boys to get?
5. What does Jiro say when he asks to speak to Okada?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Master Puppeteer. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Master Puppeteer. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of class in The Master Puppeteer. Consider the following questions: How does class affect the characters in the story? How is class demonstrated? How rigid is the class system in feudal Japan? What types of struggles are evident because of class?
Essay Topic 2
The Master Puppeteer belongs to the youth historical fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the youth historical fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a youth historical fiction and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as The Master Puppeteer help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading The Master Puppeteer? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in The Master Puppeteer to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)