|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yoshida eventually decide to do?
2. What does Jiro say when he asks to speak to Okada?
3. Who is the person coming up the storeroom stairs?
4. What does Okada ask Jiro to do?
5. How is Kinshi the next morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What wakes Jiro in the night and what is the outcome?
2. What does Jiro find when he goes into the storeroom and what happens as he trying to decide what to do?
3. What happens when the boys are sewing and practicing later that night and how does Yoshida react?
4. What does Hanji tell Jiro and offer to do, and what is Jiro's response?
5. What does Yoshida ask Jiro and then tell Jiro to do?
6. What part is Kinshi assigned in the new play and what does Jiro learn as they go to get puppets for Kinshi to practice?
7. What does Okada tell Jiro and how does Jiro react?
8. What is pinned on the door of the theater and how does Yoshida respond?
9. How does Jiro arrange the meeting with Okada?
10. What is the story that the puppeteer tells Jiro?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Master Puppeteer. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Master Puppeteer. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of class in The Master Puppeteer. Consider the following questions: How does class affect the characters in the story? How is class demonstrated? How rigid is the class system in feudal Japan? What types of struggles are evident because of class?
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in The Master Puppeteer? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Master Puppeteer including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Master Puppeteer and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
The samurai were military nobility who followed a strict code of honor called Bushido. This meant that they dedicated their fighting skills to their master and were supposed to serve him honorably, even to the extent of giving their life for his.
1. Do you think having such a strict code of honor could actually make a samurai act dishonorably? Why or why not? Use examples from The Master Puppeteer to support your reasoning.
2. Discuss, in depth, how fighting and dying for one master might affect a person's character and life. Use examples from The Master Puppeteer to support your reasoning.
3. After research, explain what is meant by code of honor in feudal Japan. What are some of the rules of the Japanese feudal code of honor? Use examples from The Master Puppeteer to support your reasoning.
4. How do you think American soldiers might feel about a code of honor based on the Japanese samurai code? Use examples from The Master Puppeteer to support your reasoning.
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)