|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yoshida eventually decide to do?
2. Why is the merchant supposedly arrested?
3. What does Joman's wife do after he goes to prison?
4. What does Jiro reply to Okada's question?
5. What awakens Jiro in the middle of the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story that the puppeteer tells Jiro?
2. How does Yoshida react when his play is shut down and what does he decide to do?
3. How does Jiro arrange the meeting with Okada?
4. What part is Kinshi assigned in the new play and what does Jiro learn as they go to get puppets for Kinshi to practice?
5. What does Jiro beg Kinshi to do and what is Kinshi's reply?
6. What happens when the boys are sewing and practicing later that night and how does Yoshida react?
7. What does the assistant magistrate first tell Yoshida and what does the assistant magistrate later say?
8. What does Jiro think about concerning arranging a meeting with Saburo?
9. How does Jiro manage to get Kinshi his role back in the play?
10. What does Okada tell Jiro and how does Jiro react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in The Master Puppeteer? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Master Puppeteer including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Master Puppeteer and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
The Master Puppeteer belongs to the youth historical fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the youth historical fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a youth historical fiction and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 3
The samurai were military nobility who followed a strict code of honor called Bushido. This meant that they dedicated their fighting skills to their master and were supposed to serve him honorably, even to the extent of giving their life for his.
1. Do you think having such a strict code of honor could actually make a samurai act dishonorably? Why or why not? Use examples from The Master Puppeteer to support your reasoning.
2. Discuss, in depth, how fighting and dying for one master might affect a person's character and life. Use examples from The Master Puppeteer to support your reasoning.
3. After research, explain what is meant by code of honor in feudal Japan. What are some of the rules of the Japanese feudal code of honor? Use examples from The Master Puppeteer to support your reasoning.
4. How do you think American soldiers might feel about a code of honor based on the Japanese samurai code? Use examples from The Master Puppeteer to support your reasoning.
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)