|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kinshi do instead of what he says he is going to do?
2. Who does Jiro think is Saburto?
3. Who is shouting for Yoshida at the gate?
4. What does Yoshida eventually decide to do?
5. What is Jiro shocked when the play opens that night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hanji tell Jiro and offer to do, and what is Jiro's response?
2. How does Joman avoid being executed?
3. What does the assistant magistrate first tell Yoshida and what does the assistant magistrate later say?
4. What does Jiro find when he goes into the storeroom and what happens as he trying to decide what to do?
5. What does Kinshi say to Jiro the next morning?
6. Describe the latest theft Saburo pulls off.
7. What happens in the theater when the play is over and how does the assistant magistrate react?
8. How does Jiro manage to get Kinshi his role back in the play?
9. What part is Kinshi assigned in the new play and what does Jiro learn as they go to get puppets for Kinshi to practice?
10. What does Okada tell Tozo after Jiro leaves Okada?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Master Puppeteer is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
The Master Puppeteer belongs to the youth historical fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the youth historical fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a youth historical fiction and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Master Puppeteer, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Master Puppeteer. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)