Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the bird on the crest of the Samurai who visits Yoshida?
2. What does Okada ask Jiro to do?
3. Who does Okada tell Tozo to send for?
4. What does Yoshida tell the boys to get?
5. What does Jiro say when he asks to speak to Okada?
Jiro's father wants Jiro to be able to help make puppets so they can earn a living, but he also wants Jiro to learn a skill that will help him in later life. Jiro tries his best and feels embarrassed and upset when he makes mistakes. He loves both his parents, but feels a little despairing of ever earning his mother's love. He thinks his mother resents the fact that he was even born, as his elder siblings died. He thinks that his mother would have preferred her other children to survive and Jiro to die. This makes him very sad, but also a little resentful of his mother.
1. Discuss the ways in which Jiro's father might be able to help him with his lack of skill. Use examples from The Master Puppeteer to support your reasoning.
2. Discuss the ways in which Jiro's mother responds to him that might be responsible for him believing she does not love him. Use examples from The Master Puppeteer to support your reasoning.
3. Discuss why Jiro would feel both sad and resentful about his mother. Use examples from The Master Puppeteer to support your reasoning.
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Master Puppeteer. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Peterson chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Peterson chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Peterson's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Peterson use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Master Puppeteer, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Master Puppeteer. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)