|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Okada ask Jiro?
2. What does Jiro ask Kinshi after the performance?
3. What does Yoshida eventually decide to do?
4. Why dos Jiro run past Okada?
5. Who is Hanji disguised as?
Short Essay Questions
1. What wakes Jiro in the night and what is the outcome?
2. What does Okada tell Tozo after Jiro leaves Okada?
3. How does Jiro manage to get Kinshi his role back in the play?
4. What does the assistant magistrate first tell Yoshida and what does the assistant magistrate later say?
5. Describe the conversation between Okada and Jiro.
6. How does Joman avoid being executed?
7. What is pinned on the door of the theater and how does Yoshida respond?
8. What part is Kinshi assigned in the new play and what does Jiro learn as they go to get puppets for Kinshi to practice?
9. What does Hanji tell Jiro and offer to do, and what is Jiro's response?
10. Describe the latest theft Saburo pulls off.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Master Puppeteer belongs to the youth historical fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the youth historical fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a youth historical fiction and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in The Master Puppeteer? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Master Puppeteer including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Master Puppeteer and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Master Puppeteer. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Master Puppeteer. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of class in The Master Puppeteer. Consider the following questions: How does class affect the characters in the story? How is class demonstrated? How rigid is the class system in feudal Japan? What types of struggles are evident because of class?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)