|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Okada?
2. Who is Taro?
3. What will Jiro be able to do someday if he is employed properly?
4. How does Jiro feel about himself in regards to his family?
5. What is the situation in this country during this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jiro being rude earn him an apprenticeship?
2. What do the authorities and merchant's guild offer?
3. Who are the other apprentices?
4. What does Jiro admire about one of Yoshida's apprentices?
5. How does Jiro practice puppeteering skills?
6. What does Jiro hope about his father and what is the outcome?
7. Who does Jiro find at the house when he gets home and what does Jiro learn from him?
8. What do Jiro and Kinshi get to do on stage during one performance?
9. Who does Jiro meet at the theater and what does the person tell Jiro?
10. What does Jiro discover when he goes to steal the script for the next play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in The Master Puppeteer? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in The Master Puppeteer including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from The Master Puppeteer and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Master Puppeteer. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Master Puppeteer. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of class in The Master Puppeteer. Consider the following questions: How does class affect the characters in the story? How is class demonstrated? How rigid is the class system in feudal Japan? What types of struggles are evident because of class?
Essay Topic 3
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as The Master Puppeteer help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading The Master Puppeteer? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in The Master Puppeteer to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)