Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Hanji?
2. How does Okada react to Jiro's request?
3. What is said about Yoshida?
4. What is happening when Jiro gets to the theater?
5. What does Kinshi steal to celebrate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jiro discover a Samurai sword?
2. Describe the latest theft Saburo pulls off.
3. How does Jiro arrange the meeting with Okada?
4. What does Okada tell Jiro and how does Jiro react?
5. What does Jiro hope about his father and what is the outcome?
6. Who posts the roles for the new play and what is Jiro's role?
7. Describe the conversation between Okada and Jiro.
8. How does Kinshi get out of his chores and what do the other boys do?
9. What part is Kinshi assigned in the new play and what does Jiro learn as they go to get puppets for Kinshi to practice?
10. What does Yoshida tell Jiro when Jiro presents himself to the man and how does Kinshi reassure Jiro?
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as The Master Puppeteer help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading The Master Puppeteer? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in The Master Puppeteer to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
The samurai were military nobility who followed a strict code of honor called Bushido. This meant that they dedicated their fighting skills to their master and were supposed to serve him honorably, even to the extent of giving their life for his.
1. Do you think having such a strict code of honor could actually make a samurai act dishonorably? Why or why not? Use examples from The Master Puppeteer to support your reasoning.
2. Discuss, in depth, how fighting and dying for one master might affect a person's character and life. Use examples from The Master Puppeteer to support your reasoning.
3. After research, explain what is meant by code of honor in feudal Japan. What are some of the rules of the Japanese feudal code of honor? Use examples from The Master Puppeteer to support your reasoning.
4. How do you think American soldiers might feel about a code of honor based on the Japanese samurai code? Use examples from The Master Puppeteer to support your reasoning.
The Master Puppeteer belongs to the youth historical fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the youth historical fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a youth historical fiction and a historical novel mystery?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)