|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what is Yoshida disciplining one of the boys?
2. What is one reason Jiro has decided to do what he does?
3. How do the boys feel about Kinshi?
4. Where does Jiro sleep?
5. What is the Hanaza?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Okada respond to Jiro's question?
2. What does Jiro discover when he goes to steal the script for the next play?
3. What does Jiro offer to about the new play and what is the outcome?
4. What happens when Jiro goes home to see his mother?
5. How do some of the attendees feel about the resemblance of Joman to Saburo?
6. What do the authorities and merchant's guild offer?
7. Where do Jiro and his father go and spend their money, and who do they talk to there?
8. How does Jiro being rude earn him an apprenticeship?
9. How does Jiro practice puppeteering skills?
10. Who does Jiro meet at the theater and what does the person tell Jiro?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Master Puppeteer. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Peterson chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Peterson chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Peterson's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Peterson use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Jiro and Kinshi. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Saburo and Kinshi. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Master Puppeteer help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)