|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jiro do the next morning after speaking to Mochida?
2. For what is Yoshida disciplining one of the boys?
3. What is offered for Saburo's capture?
4. What is Jiro's part in the new play?
5. What is Jiro chosen to hold on stage one day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the boys are sewing and practicing later that night and how does Yoshida react?
2. What does Okada tell Jiro and how does Jiro react?
3. What does Yoshida ask Jiro and then tell Jiro to do?
4. What does Jiro admire about one of Yoshida's apprentices?
5. What part is Kinshi assigned in the new play and what does Jiro learn as they go to get puppets for Kinshi to practice?
6. What does Jiro learn from his mother about his father and how Kinshi saves her?
7. What does Isako bring to the theater and what does she tell Jiro?
8. What does the assistant magistrate first tell Yoshida and what does the assistant magistrate later say?
9. What do Jiro and Kinshi get to do on stage during one performance?
10. Who does Jiro find at the house when he gets home and what does Jiro learn from him?
Essay Topic 1
The Master Puppeteer belongs to the youth historical fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the youth historical fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a youth historical fiction and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Master Puppeteer is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Master Puppeteer. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Master Puppeteer. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of class in The Master Puppeteer. Consider the following questions: How does class affect the characters in the story? How is class demonstrated? How rigid is the class system in feudal Japan? What types of struggles are evident because of class?
This section contains 3,286 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)