Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Hanji?
2. How does Okada react to Jiro's request?
3. What is said about Yoshida?
4. What is happening when Jiro gets to the theater?
5. What does Kinshi steal to celebrate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jiro discover a Samurai sword?
2. Describe the latest theft Saburo pulls off.
3. How does Jiro arrange the meeting with Okada?
4. What does Okada tell Jiro and how does Jiro react?
5. What does Jiro hope about his father and what is the outcome?
6. Who posts the roles for the new play and what is Jiro's role?
7. Describe the conversation between Okada and Jiro.
8. How does Kinshi get out of his chores and what do the other boys do?
9. What part is Kinshi assigned in the new play and what does Jiro learn as they go to get puppets for Kinshi to practice?
10. What does Yoshida tell Jiro when Jiro presents himself to the man and how does Kinshi reassure Jiro?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Master Puppeteer, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Master Puppeteer. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Master Puppeteer is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
The samurai were military nobility who followed a strict code of honor called Bushido. This meant that they dedicated their fighting skills to their master and were supposed to serve him honorably, even to the extent of giving their life for his.
1. Do you think having such a strict code of honor could actually make a samurai act dishonorably? Why or why not? Use examples from The Master Puppeteer to support your reasoning.
2. Discuss, in depth, how fighting and dying for one master might affect a person's character and life. Use examples from The Master Puppeteer to support your reasoning.
3. After research, explain what is meant by code of honor in feudal Japan. What are some of the rules of the Japanese feudal code of honor? Use examples from The Master Puppeteer to support your reasoning.
4. How do you think American soldiers might feel about a code of honor based on the Japanese samurai code? Use examples from The Master Puppeteer to support your reasoning.
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)