|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wears baskets on their heads?
2. Who saves Jiro from a ronin?
3. What is Jiro chosen to hold on stage one day?
4. Where are Hanji and Isako?
5. Who does the character Joman resemble?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the authorities and merchant's guild offer?
2. How do Jiro and the other boys feel about Jiro's assignment?
3. What does Kinshi steal for a celebration and what happens?
4. What play does Okada finish and what do the apprentices worry about concerning the new play?
5. What happens when Jiro goes home to see his mother?
6. Who posts the roles for the new play and what is Jiro's role?
7. What do Jiro and Kinshi think of Yoshida's performance?
8. What is the basic plot of the play?
9. What does the Shogun do about Saburo?
10. What does Jiro admire about one of Yoshida's apprentices?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes The Master Puppeteer interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Jiro. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Kinshi. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Saburo. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Jiro and Kinshi. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Saburo and Kinshi. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Master Puppeteer help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Master Puppeteer. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Master Puppeteer. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of class in The Master Puppeteer. Consider the following questions: How does class affect the characters in the story? How is class demonstrated? How rigid is the class system in feudal Japan? What types of struggles are evident because of class?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)