|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Kinshi introduce Jiro?
2. How does Okada react to Jiro's request?
3. What does Kinshi say the left-hand operators will do?
4. Who is Mochida?
5. Why does Jiro worry about his decision?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jiro almost attacked and who saves him?
2. What does Yoshida tell Jiro when Jiro presents himself to the man and how does Kinshi reassure Jiro?
3. How does Jiro help his father and how does this help his family?
4. Who are the other apprentices?
5. What does the Shogun do about Saburo?
6. Where do Jiro and his father go and spend their money, and who do they talk to there?
7. What is the basic plot of the play?
8. Who does Jiro meet at the theater and what does the person tell Jiro?
9. Who does Jiro find at the house when he gets home and what does Jiro learn from him?
10. What does Jiro decide to do and why does he make this decision?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Jiro and Kinshi. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Saburo and Kinshi. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Master Puppeteer help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Master Puppeteer is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Katherine Peterson.
2. What in Peterson's background may have helped him in writing The Master Puppeteer? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)