|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what country does Jiro live?
2. What does Yoshida do after discovering the celebration?
3. Who is Kinshi?
4. Where does Jiro sleep?
5. Where does Jiro go after talking with Taro?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who posts the roles for the new play and what is Jiro's role?
2. What does Jiro hope about his father and what is the outcome?
3. What does Kinshi steal for a celebration and what happens?
4. What do Saburo and his gang do one evening?
5. Where do Jiro and his father go and spend their money, and who do they talk to there?
6. What play does Okada finish and what do the apprentices worry about concerning the new play?
7. What does Jiro offer to about the new play and what is the outcome?
8. How does Jiro practice puppeteering skills?
9. What do the authorities and merchant's guild offer?
10. Who does Jiro meet at the theater and what does the person tell Jiro?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The samurai were military nobility who followed a strict code of honor called Bushido. This meant that they dedicated their fighting skills to their master and were supposed to serve him honorably, even to the extent of giving their life for his.
1. Do you think having such a strict code of honor could actually make a samurai act dishonorably? Why or why not? Use examples from The Master Puppeteer to support your reasoning.
2. Discuss, in depth, how fighting and dying for one master might affect a person's character and life. Use examples from The Master Puppeteer to support your reasoning.
3. After research, explain what is meant by code of honor in feudal Japan. What are some of the rules of the Japanese feudal code of honor? Use examples from The Master Puppeteer to support your reasoning.
4. How do you think American soldiers might feel about a code of honor based on the Japanese samurai code? Use examples from The Master Puppeteer to support your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Jiro and Kinshi. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Saburo and Kinshi. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Master Puppeteer help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)