|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jira ask Okada?
2. What happens to Jiro's mother when she goes to the shrine to get food?
3. Who is to control the snipe?
4. What does Jiro admire about the boy who is disciplined?
5. What does Kinshi admire?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jiro find when he goes into the storeroom and what happens as he trying to decide what to do?
2. Who does Jiro meet at the theater and what does the person tell Jiro?
3. How does Kinshi get out of his chores and what do the other boys do?
4. How does Okada respond to Jiro's question?
5. What do Saburo and his gang do one evening?
6. Who posts the roles for the new play and what is Jiro's role?
7. What is pinned on the door of the theater and how does Yoshida respond?
8. What happens when the boys are sewing and practicing later that night and how does Yoshida react?
9. What does Jiro admire about one of Yoshida's apprentices?
10. How does Jiro find his mother and Kinshi and get them free?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Master Puppeteer.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Master Puppeteer. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Master Puppeteer. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Katherine Peterson.
2. What in Peterson's background may have helped him in writing The Master Puppeteer? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
The Master Puppeteer belongs to the youth historical fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the youth historical fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a youth historical fiction and a historical novel mystery?
This section contains 3,302 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)