Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Hanji?
2. How does Okada react to Jiro's request?
3. What is said about Yoshida?
4. What is happening when Jiro gets to the theater?
5. What does Kinshi steal to celebrate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jiro discover a Samurai sword?
2. Describe the latest theft Saburo pulls off.
3. How does Jiro arrange the meeting with Okada?
4. What does Okada tell Jiro and how does Jiro react?
5. What does Jiro hope about his father and what is the outcome?
6. Who posts the roles for the new play and what is Jiro's role?
7. Describe the conversation between Okada and Jiro.
8. How does Kinshi get out of his chores and what do the other boys do?
9. What part is Kinshi assigned in the new play and what does Jiro learn as they go to get puppets for Kinshi to practice?
10. What does Yoshida tell Jiro when Jiro presents himself to the man and how does Kinshi reassure Jiro?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Master Puppeteer based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if The Master Puppeteer is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider The Master Puppeteer a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
The Master Puppeteer belongs to the youth historical fiction genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the youth historical fiction genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a youth historical fiction and a historical novel mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in The Master Puppeteer. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in The Master Puppeteer. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of class in The Master Puppeteer. Consider the following questions: How does class affect the characters in the story? How is class demonstrated? How rigid is the class system in feudal Japan? What types of struggles are evident because of class?
This section contains 3,270 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)