|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Yoshida?
2. What does Jiro say to Yoshida?
3. What is one reason Jiro has decided to do what he does?
4. Who is Okada?
5. What does Jiro do to prepare for his part in the new production?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kinshi perform when he takes over for Kwada one day?
2. What does Jiro hope about his father and what is the outcome?
3. Who are the other apprentices?
4. How is Jiro's family getting along?
5. Who does Jiro meet at the theater and what does the person tell Jiro?
6. What do Jiro and Kinshi get to do on stage during one performance?
7. What does Jiro admire about one of Yoshida's apprentices?
8. What is the basic plot of the play?
9. How do some of the attendees feel about the resemblance of Joman to Saburo?
10. How does Jiro being rude earn him an apprenticeship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Master Puppeteer, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in The Master Puppeteer. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Jiro and Kinshi. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Saburo and Kinshi. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in The Master Puppeteer help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)