|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yoshida tell the boys to get?
(b) Some sleep.
(c) Some rice.
(d) Some newly-made fish balls.
2. Where does Jiro decide to practice his part?
(a) The stable.
(b) Down by the river.
(c) In the upstairs storeroom.
(d) In the practice room.
3. What does Mochida explain to Jiro?
(a) The police have intimidated many would-be theater goers.
(b) Merchants are staying home to guard their wares.
(c) The police have said that nothing controversial may be shown at the theater.
(d) Saburo's gang has declared the theater off limits.
4. What does Joman's wife do after he goes to prison?
(a) Kills herself.
(b) Marries another man.
(c) Goes into a Buddhist convent.
(d) Grieves for years.
5. Why is Jiro irritable as Kinshi practices?
(a) He is jealous of Kinshi.
(b) He is worried about Hanji.
(c) He is worried about his mother.
(d) He is worried that Saburo is going to attack the theater again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mochida say when he grabs Jiro?
2. To whom does Jiro think it would be best to talk?
3. What does Jiro agree to do after the last performance of the day?
4. How is Yoshida after his play is shut down?
5. Where is the crest Jiro sees?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the assistant magistrate first tell Yoshida and what does the assistant magistrate later say?
2. What is the story that the puppeteer tells Jiro?
3. How does Yoshida react when his play is shut down and what does he decide to do?
4. How does Jiro manage to get Kinshi his role back in the play?
5. What does Jiro find when he goes into the storeroom and what happens as he trying to decide what to do?
6. What does Jiro conclude after seeing the Samurai sword?
7. How does Joman avoid being executed?
8. What is pinned on the door of the theater and how does Yoshida respond?
9. What part is Kinshi assigned in the new play and what does Jiro learn as they go to get puppets for Kinshi to practice?
10. What does Yoshida ask Jiro and then tell Jiro to do?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)