|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jiro ask Kinshi after the performance?
(a) To go with Jiro to see Jiro's mother.
(b) Not to go out again that night.
(c) If Kinshi is ill.
(d) To see if Yoshida will excuse Kenshi from the play.
2. How is the play doing as Spring rolls around?
(a) It has been banned by the Shogun.
(b) It is poorly attended.
(c) It is about to be retired.
(d) It is still successful.
3. How is Kinshi the next morning?
(d) Very depressed.
4. How does Yoshida praise the assistant magistrate?
(a) Saying assistant magistrate is very wily.
(b) Yoshida does not respond at all to the assistant magistrate.
(c) Saying assistant magistrate is very wise.
(d) Saying assistant magistrate is very noble.
5. What does Jiro realize about the puppeteer?
(a) It is Yoshida.
(b) It is Hanji.
(c) It is Okada.
(d) It is Toza.
6. What does Jiro explain about Yoshida?
(a) That Yoshida will probably make Jiro leave the theater.
(b) That he is afraid to confront Yoshida.
(c) What he has learned about Yoshida.
(d) That Yoshida saved him once.
7. What does the Samurai tell Yoshida?
(a) That Yoshida can make his own decision about whether to do the play or not.
(b) That the performance will be done in the town square.
(c) That there will be hidden soldiers in the audience.
(d) That the performance will not be allowed.
8. What happens after the play is done?
(a) The people stand and chant Saburo's name.
(b) Nothing out of the ordinary.
(c) The lights go out and a voice makes a statement.
(d) The soldiers start clubbing people.
9. What are the wealthy in the town saying?
(a) They will not trust the police again.
(b) The police are incompetent.
(c) The poor need to work harder.
(d) The poor do not deserve to eat.
10. What does Hanji give Jiro?
(a) A note from Okada.
(b) Some money.
(c) His fireman's coat.
(d) A bandana.
11. What does Yashida order Jiro to do?
(a) Practice to be the foot operator for Akoya's part.
(b) Leave and not come back.
(c) Go home and check on his mother.
(d) Go find Kanshi.
12. What does Kinshi say to Jiro about the available food at the theater?
(a) He thinks they should distribute the food to the poor.
(b) He thinks the food is stolen.
(c) He does not know where they get the food.
(d) It is wrong for them to have so much.
13. What does Jiro try to figure out?
(a) How to keep his mother safe.
(b) How to arrange a meeting with Saburo for Kinshi.
(c) How to find his father.
(d) How to keep Kinshi safe.
14. What is going to be the entrance fee for a special showing of "The Thief of the Tokaido"?
(a) Same as always.
(b) Two for one.
(d) Half price.
15. Where does Jiro decide to practice his part?
(a) In the upstairs storeroom.
(b) In the practice room.
(c) The stable.
(d) Down by the river.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joman's wife do after he goes to prison?
2. What have some people started doing at night?
3. What does Yoshida eventually decide to do?
4. What does Jiro say when he asks to speak to Okada?
5. Why is the merchant supposedly arrested?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)