|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jiro want his mother to do when he sees her in the audience?
(a) See his part in the play.
(b) Come backstage after the performance.
2. What does Jiro agree to do after the last performance of the day?
(a) Go and tell his mother to stay home that night.
(b) Ask Kenshi to see Okada.
(c) Go and warn the night rovers.
(d) Retrieve the sword.
3. Why does Jiro know he cannot turn in Yashida?
(a) It would be the end of food for the poor.
(b) It would harm his parents.
(c) It would leave him without a job.
(d) It would be a betrayal.
4. Where is the crest Jiro sees?
(a) On a dagger that is on the river bank.
(b) On a sword.
(c) Stamped on the barrel of rice.
(d) On the cape.
5. What does Mochida explain to Jiro?
(a) Merchants are staying home to guard their wares.
(b) The police have intimidated many would-be theater goers.
(c) The police have said that nothing controversial may be shown at the theater.
(d) Saburo's gang has declared the theater off limits.
6. How does Saburo's gang convince a merchant that the merchant is under arrest?
(a) The gang uses the clothing they stole at the play.
(b) They do not need to convince the merchant; they threaten him.
(c) They have forged papers.
(d) They have a false warrant tacked to the merchant's door.
7. What is pinned to the door?
(a) An arrest warrant.
(b) A message from Saburo.
(c) A man's scarf.
(d) The Shogun's proclamation.
8. Who is Hanji disguised as?
(a) A merchant.
(b) No one.
(c) A fireman.
(d) A policeman.
9. Why is Jiro irritable as Kinshi practices?
(a) He is worried that Saburo is going to attack the theater again.
(b) He is worried about his mother.
(c) He is jealous of Kinshi.
(d) He is worried about Hanji.
10. What does the man make the puppet do?
(b) Carry a letter.
(c) Look like the puppet is about to discover something really big.
(d) Look like the puppet is searching for someone.
11. What are the wealthy in the town saying?
(a) The poor need to work harder.
(b) The poor do not deserve to eat.
(c) The police are incompetent.
(d) They will not trust the police again.
12. What does Okada ask Jiro to do?
(a) Continue as if nothing has happened.
(b) Not say anything to Kenshi.
(c) Retrieve the Samurai sword.
(d) Go to an address and leave a note.
13. What does the girl who is being courted by a high-born suitor do?
(a) Puts dye on his shoes.
(b) Sticks a needle into his clothes.
(c) Looks through his pockets.
(d) Says she will die if he does not say where he lives.
14. How do the boys treat Jiro?
(a) Like an outsider.
(b) Like a lucky charm.
(c) Like a traitor.
(d) The same as always.
15. What does Jira say he will try to arrange for Kinshi?
(a) A bigger part in the next play.
(b) A meeting with Yashida.
(c) A way to keep his assigned job.
(d) A meeting with Saburo.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Yoshida praise the assistant magistrate?
2. What is the bird on the crest of the Samurai who visits Yoshida?
3. What does Jiro say when he asks to speak to Okada?
4. What does a fishmonger arrive to tell those at the theater?
5. What is Jiro shocked when the play opens that night?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)