|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Saburo's gang convince a merchant that the merchant is under arrest?
(a) The gang uses the clothing they stole at the play.
(b) They have a false warrant tacked to the merchant's door.
(c) They have forged papers.
(d) They do not need to convince the merchant; they threaten him.
2. Why is Jiro irritable as Kinshi practices?
(a) He is jealous of Kinshi.
(b) He is worried about Hanji.
(c) He is worried about his mother.
(d) He is worried that Saburo is going to attack the theater again.
3. Why dos Jiro run past Okada?
(a) He is afraid of what the man will do.
(b) He is needed in the theater.
(c) He hears his father yelling.
(d) He hears Kenshi screaming.
4. What does Jiro want his mother to do when he sees her in the audience?
(a) Come backstage after the performance.
(b) See his part in the play.
5. What do the other boys do for Kinshi?
(a) Keep him awake.
(b) Find him a better-fitting harness.
(c) There's nothing they can do for him.
(d) Cover for him.
6. Who is Hanji disguised as?
(a) No one.
(b) A policeman.
(c) A fireman.
(d) A merchant.
7. What happens after the play is done?
(a) The soldiers start clubbing people.
(b) The lights go out and a voice makes a statement.
(c) Nothing out of the ordinary.
(d) The people stand and chant Saburo's name.
8. What does Jiro discover when he sneaks into the storehouse?
(a) Hanji is there.
(b) Kenshi is there.
(c) Yoshida is there.
(d) The Samurai sword is gone.
9. Who is at the door one night when Jiro and Kinshi hear a banging sound?
(b) No one.
10. What does Mochida ask Jiro the next morning?
(a) Where Kanshi is.
(b) Why Kanshi fell asleep at practice the day before.
(c) If Kanshi is ill.
(d) Why Kanshi seems always tired.
11. What does Jiro find where he is preparing to practice?
(a) A barrel of rice.
(b) A Samaurai sword.
(c) A red cape.
(d) A dagger.
12. Why is the merchant supposedly arrested?
(a) For accepting bribes.
(b) For ties to Saburo.
(c) For bad scales.
(d) For cheating on his taxes.
13. What is going to be the entrance fee for a special showing of "The Thief of the Tokaido"?
(a) Half price.
(c) Same as always.
(d) Two for one.
14. What does the Samurai tell Yoshida?
(a) That the performance will be done in the town square.
(b) That the performance will not be allowed.
(c) That there will be hidden soldiers in the audience.
(d) That Yoshida can make his own decision about whether to do the play or not.
15. Who does Jiro think is Saburto?
(c) He is not sure.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jiro know he cannot turn in Yashida?
2. What does the puppet say about curiosity?
3. Why is Kinshi worried about his part in the next performance?
4. What does Jiro realize about the puppeteer?
5. What does Okada admit to Jiro?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)