|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jiro tell Okada?
(a) About Kinshi's night activities.
(b) About Kinshi's hopes.
(c) About his mother being beaten.
(d) About his father's disappearance.
2. What do the other boys do for Kinshi?
(a) There's nothing they can do for him.
(b) Keep him awake.
(c) Cover for him.
(d) Find him a better-fitting harness.
3. What does Yoshida eventually decide to do?
(a) Appeal to the Shogun.
(b) Defy the authorities.
(c) Appeal to the Emperor.
(d) Put on a play called The Battle of Dannoura.
4. How does Kinshi get out of his chores?
(a) He says he needs to practice.
(b) He says he is sick.
(c) He volunteers to deliver an invitation from Yoshida.
(d) He volunteers to go to market.
5. Who is Hanji disguised as?
(a) A fireman.
(b) A policeman.
(c) No one.
(d) A merchant.
6. Where does Kinshi say it is forbidden to go?
(a) In the stable's loft.
(b) In the cellar.
(c) In the upstairs storehouse.
(d) In the attic.
7. Why does Jiro not want to go to Yoshida?
(a) Jiro does not think Yoshida will care.
(b) Yoshida will be too angry to listen.
(c) Yoshida may punish Kenshi terribly.
(d) Yoshida may fire Jiro.
8. What does Mochida say when he grabs Jiro?
(a) He is needed to play Kenshi's role.
(b) Yoshida wants to speak to him.
(c) His father is outside in the courtyard.
(d) Kenshi needs him at the river.
9. What happens after the play is done?
(a) The soldiers start clubbing people.
(b) The people stand and chant Saburo's name.
(c) Nothing out of the ordinary.
(d) The lights go out and a voice makes a statement.
10. What does Joman's wife do after he goes to prison?
(a) Marries another man.
(b) Goes into a Buddhist convent.
(c) Grieves for years.
(d) Kills herself.
11. Where does Jiro decide to practice his part?
(a) Down by the river.
(b) In the practice room.
(c) The stable.
(d) In the upstairs storeroom.
12. How is the play doing as Spring rolls around?
(a) It is poorly attended.
(b) It has been banned by the Shogun.
(c) It is about to be retired.
(d) It is still successful.
13. Why does Jiro know he cannot turn in Yashida?
(a) It would be a betrayal.
(b) It would harm his parents.
(c) It would leave him without a job.
(d) It would be the end of food for the poor.
14. Why is the merchant supposedly arrested?
(a) For ties to Saburo.
(b) For cheating on his taxes.
(c) For accepting bribes.
(d) For bad scales.
15. How does Saburo's gang rob the merchant's house?
(a) They do so after putting the merchant in jail.
(b) They only rob the livestock.
(c) They do not rob the merchant after he gives them some money that is on his person.
(d) By forcing the occupants to vacate the buildings with a search warrant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the wealthy in the town saying?
2. Who is at the door one night when Jiro and Kinshi hear a banging sound?
3. What have some people started doing at night?
4. How do the boys decide to give Kinshi his role back?
5. What is the bird on the crest of the Samurai who visits Yoshida?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)