|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is pinned to the door?
(a) A message from Saburo.
(b) An arrest warrant.
(c) A man's scarf.
(d) The Shogun's proclamation.
2. Where does Jiro decide to practice his part?
(a) Down by the river.
(b) In the practice room.
(c) In the upstairs storeroom.
(d) The stable.
3. What is happening in the city when Jiro goes there after the performance?
(a) Hundreds of people are standing silently outside the Shogun's residence.
(d) Absolute silence.
4. Why is Jiro irritable as Kinshi practices?
(a) He is worried about Hanji.
(b) He is worried that Saburo is going to attack the theater again.
(c) He is worried about his mother.
(d) He is jealous of Kinshi.
5. How does Jiro respond to Yashida's questioning?
(a) Jiro tells the truth.
(b) Jiro starts crying.
(c) Jiro feigns ignorance.
(d) Jiro says Kanshi is taking medicine to Jiro's mother.
6. Why won't Kinshi allow Jiro to come with him at night?
(a) Jiro is too small.
(b) Kinshi works better alone.
(c) Jiro is too kind and would get hurt.
(d) Jiro needs to cover for Kinshi at the theater.
7. What does Jiro try to figure out?
(a) How to find his father.
(b) How to keep Kinshi safe.
(c) How to keep his mother safe.
(d) How to arrange a meeting with Saburo for Kinshi.
8. Why does Jiro not want to go to Yoshida?
(a) Jiro does not think Yoshida will care.
(b) Yoshida will be too angry to listen.
(c) Yoshida may fire Jiro.
(d) Yoshida may punish Kenshi terribly.
9. Who is the person coming up the storeroom stairs?
(a) Jiro does not know.
10. How do the boys decide to give Kinshi his role back?
(a) They do not see how they can do so.
(b) To appeal to Okada.
(c) A last-minute swap.
(d) To appeal to Yoshida.
11. How does Kinshi get out of his chores?
(a) He volunteers to deliver an invitation from Yoshida.
(b) He volunteers to go to market.
(c) He says he needs to practice.
(d) He says he is sick.
12. What does Okada ask Jiro?
(a) If Jiro would lay his life on the line for Kinshi.
(b) If Jiro believes in what Saburo is doing.
(c) If Jiro is tempted to turn in Yoshida.
(d) If Jiro believes in what Kinshi is doing.
13. What does Yashida order Jiro to do?
(a) Practice to be the foot operator for Akoya's part.
(b) Go find Kanshi.
(c) Go home and check on his mother.
(d) Leave and not come back.
14. Why does Jiro know he cannot turn in Yashida?
(a) It would be the end of food for the poor.
(b) It would be a betrayal.
(c) It would harm his parents.
(d) It would leave him without a job.
15. What does the puppet say about curiosity?
(a) That it is dishonorable to give in to one's curiosity.
(b) That it can lead to knowing things one does not wish to know
(c) That it can be very dangerous.
(d) That it is healthy up to a point.
Short Answer Questions
1. What awakens Jiro in the middle of the night?
2. Who is shouting for Yoshida at the gate?
3. Who is Hanji disguised as?
4. To whom does Jiro think it would be best to talk?
5. What does Hanji give Jiro?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)