|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the person coming up the storeroom stairs?
(c) Jiro does not know.
2. What does Jiro ask Kinshi after the performance?
(a) To go with Jiro to see Jiro's mother.
(b) Not to go out again that night.
(c) If Kinshi is ill.
(d) To see if Yoshida will excuse Kenshi from the play.
3. How is the play doing as Spring rolls around?
(a) It is about to be retired.
(b) It has been banned by the Shogun.
(c) It is poorly attended.
(d) It is still successful.
4. What does Mochida explain to Jiro?
(a) The police have intimidated many would-be theater goers.
(b) Merchants are staying home to guard their wares.
(c) The police have said that nothing controversial may be shown at the theater.
(d) Saburo's gang has declared the theater off limits.
5. What have some people started doing at night?
(a) Helping Saburo's gang.
(b) Setting fire to weathly men's homes.
(c) Wandering the streets and throwing stones at wealthy men's homes.
(d) Gathering in secret groups.
6. Who is shouting for Yoshida at the gate?
(a) No one.
(b) The police.
(c) The night rovers.
(d) Saburo's gang.
7. Where does Kinshi say it is forbidden to go?
(a) In the stable's loft.
(b) In the cellar.
(c) In the attic.
(d) In the upstairs storehouse.
8. What awakens Jiro in the middle of the night?
(a) Kinshi moving about.
(b) The sounds of a angry mob.
(c) Someone sobbing.
(d) A dark barking.
9. Where does Jiro decide to practice his part?
(a) In the practice room.
(b) In the upstairs storeroom.
(c) The stable.
(d) Down by the river.
10. Why is the merchant supposedly arrested?
(a) For accepting bribes.
(b) For ties to Saburo.
(c) For cheating on his taxes.
(d) For bad scales.
11. What does Jira say he will try to arrange for Kinshi?
(a) A meeting with Yashida.
(b) A way to keep his assigned job.
(c) A bigger part in the next play.
(d) A meeting with Saburo.
12. What does Okada admit to Jiro?
(a) Hanji is Saburo.
(b) Yoshida is Saburo.
(c) There is no Saburo.
(d) He is Saburo.
13. How does Kinshi get out of his chores?
(a) He volunteers to go to market.
(b) He volunteers to deliver an invitation from Yoshida.
(c) He says he is sick.
(d) He says he needs to practice.
14. What does the puppet say about curiosity?
(a) That it can lead to knowing things one does not wish to know
(b) That it is healthy up to a point.
(c) That it can be very dangerous.
(d) That it is dishonorable to give in to one's curiosity.
15. What does Hanji give Jiro?
(a) A bandana.
(b) A note from Okada.
(c) His fireman's coat.
(d) Some money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yoshida tell the boys to get?
2. Who is at the door one night when Jiro and Kinshi hear a banging sound?
3. What does Jiro discover when he sneaks into the storehouse?
4. What does Jiro reply to Okada's question?
5. What does Joman's wife do after he goes to prison?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)