|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yashida order Jiro to do?
(a) Leave and not come back.
(b) Go find Kanshi.
(c) Practice to be the foot operator for Akoya's part.
(d) Go home and check on his mother.
2. What does Kinshi say to Jiro about the available food at the theater?
(a) He does not know where they get the food.
(b) He thinks the food is stolen.
(c) He thinks they should distribute the food to the poor.
(d) It is wrong for them to have so much.
3. What is pinned to the door?
(a) An arrest warrant.
(b) A man's scarf.
(c) The Shogun's proclamation.
(d) A message from Saburo.
4. What does Okada ask Jiro to do?
(a) Retrieve the Samurai sword.
(b) Go to an address and leave a note.
(c) Continue as if nothing has happened.
(d) Not say anything to Kenshi.
5. What does the Samurai tell Yoshida?
(a) That Yoshida can make his own decision about whether to do the play or not.
(b) That the performance will not be allowed.
(c) That the performance will be done in the town square.
(d) That there will be hidden soldiers in the audience.
6. How does Kinshi get out of his chores?
(a) He says he needs to practice.
(b) He says he is sick.
(c) He volunteers to go to market.
(d) He volunteers to deliver an invitation from Yoshida.
7. What is the bird on the crest of the Samurai who visits Yoshida?
(a) A vulture.
(b) A hawk.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A heron.
8. What does Jiro agree to do after the last performance of the day?
(a) Retrieve the sword.
(b) Go and warn the night rovers.
(c) Ask Kenshi to see Okada.
(d) Go and tell his mother to stay home that night.
9. How is Kinshi the next morning?
(b) Very depressed.
10. What does Mochida explain to Jiro?
(a) The police have said that nothing controversial may be shown at the theater.
(b) Saburo's gang has declared the theater off limits.
(c) The police have intimidated many would-be theater goers.
(d) Merchants are staying home to guard their wares.
11. What does the girl who is being courted by a high-born suitor do?
(a) Puts dye on his shoes.
(b) Looks through his pockets.
(c) Sticks a needle into his clothes.
(d) Says she will die if he does not say where he lives.
12. Where does Jiro decide to practice his part?
(a) The stable.
(b) Down by the river.
(c) In the upstairs storeroom.
(d) In the practice room.
13. What does the man make the puppet do?
(a) Carry a letter.
(b) Look like the puppet is searching for someone.
(c) Look like the puppet is about to discover something really big.
14. How does Saburo's gang convince a merchant that the merchant is under arrest?
(a) They have forged papers.
(b) The gang uses the clothing they stole at the play.
(c) They do not need to convince the merchant; they threaten him.
(d) They have a false warrant tacked to the merchant's door.
15. What does Yoshida tell the boys to get?
(a) Some sleep.
(c) Some rice.
(d) Some newly-made fish balls.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Yoshida after his play is shut down?
2. What does a fishmonger arrive to tell those at the theater?
3. What does the puppet say about curiosity?
4. What does Jiro worry about concerning his mother?
5. What does Hanji give Jiro?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)