|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a fishmonger arrive to tell those at the theater?
(a) About the assistant magistrate losing his position.
(b) About the assistant magistrate losing his head.
(c) About the Emperor's response to the play.
(d) About Saburo's latest theft.
2. What does Jiro tell Okada?
(a) About his father's disappearance.
(b) About Kinshi's hopes.
(c) About his mother being beaten.
(d) About Kinshi's night activities.
3. How does Saburo's gang rob the merchant's house?
(a) They do not rob the merchant after he gives them some money that is on his person.
(b) By forcing the occupants to vacate the buildings with a search warrant.
(c) They only rob the livestock.
(d) They do so after putting the merchant in jail.
4. Why dos Jiro run past Okada?
(a) He hears his father yelling.
(b) He hears Kenshi screaming.
(c) He is needed in the theater.
(d) He is afraid of what the man will do.
5. How does Kinshi get out of his chores?
(a) He says he needs to practice.
(b) He says he is sick.
(c) He volunteers to go to market.
(d) He volunteers to deliver an invitation from Yoshida.
6. What awakens Jiro in the middle of the night?
(a) The sounds of a angry mob.
(b) Kinshi moving about.
(c) A dark barking.
(d) Someone sobbing.
7. Why is Jiro irritable as Kinshi practices?
(a) He is worried about his mother.
(b) He is worried that Saburo is going to attack the theater again.
(c) He is worried about Hanji.
(d) He is jealous of Kinshi.
8. Why won't Kinshi allow Jiro to come with him at night?
(a) Kinshi works better alone.
(b) Jiro is too small.
(c) Jiro needs to cover for Kinshi at the theater.
(d) Jiro is too kind and would get hurt.
9. What does Jiro try to figure out?
(a) How to keep Kinshi safe.
(b) How to arrange a meeting with Saburo for Kinshi.
(c) How to find his father.
(d) How to keep his mother safe.
10. Where does Jiro decide to practice his part?
(a) The stable.
(b) In the upstairs storeroom.
(c) In the practice room.
(d) Down by the river.
11. Where does Kinshi say it is forbidden to go?
(a) In the stable's loft.
(b) In the cellar.
(c) In the upstairs storehouse.
(d) In the attic.
12. What does the girl who is being courted by a high-born suitor do?
(a) Looks through his pockets.
(b) Sticks a needle into his clothes.
(c) Puts dye on his shoes.
(d) Says she will die if he does not say where he lives.
13. What does Okada ask Jiro?
(a) If Jiro would lay his life on the line for Kinshi.
(b) If Jiro is tempted to turn in Yoshida.
(c) If Jiro believes in what Saburo is doing.
(d) If Jiro believes in what Kinshi is doing.
14. What does Jira say he will try to arrange for Kinshi?
(a) A bigger part in the next play.
(b) A meeting with Yashida.
(c) A way to keep his assigned job.
(d) A meeting with Saburo.
15. How do the boys treat Jiro?
(a) The same as always.
(b) Like an outsider.
(c) Like a traitor.
(d) Like a lucky charm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jiro reply to Okada's question?
2. What does Jiro discover when he sneaks into the storehouse?
3. Why is Kinshi worried about his part in the next performance?
4. To whom does Jiro think it would be best to talk?
5. What does Jiro realize about the puppeteer?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)