|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the wealthy in the town saying?
(a) The poor need to work harder.
(b) The police are incompetent.
(c) The poor do not deserve to eat.
(d) They will not trust the police again.
2. Why won't Kinshi allow Jiro to come with him at night?
(a) Jiro is too small.
(b) Jiro is too kind and would get hurt.
(c) Kinshi works better alone.
(d) Jiro needs to cover for Kinshi at the theater.
3. How is Yoshida after his play is shut down?
4. What do the other boys do for Kinshi?
(a) Cover for him.
(b) Keep him awake.
(c) Find him a better-fitting harness.
(d) There's nothing they can do for him.
5. Why is Jiro irritable as Kinshi practices?
(a) He is jealous of Kinshi.
(b) He is worried about Hanji.
(c) He is worried that Saburo is going to attack the theater again.
(d) He is worried about his mother.
6. How does Saburo's gang convince a merchant that the merchant is under arrest?
(a) They have a false warrant tacked to the merchant's door.
(b) They have forged papers.
(c) They do not need to convince the merchant; they threaten him.
(d) The gang uses the clothing they stole at the play.
7. What does Jiro reply to Okada's question?
(a) That Jiro trust Kenshi completely.
(b) That Jiro could never hurt Kenshi.
(c) That Jiro believes in what Saburo is doing.
(d) That is not up to Jiro to judge.
8. What does Yoshida tell the boys to get?
(a) Some rice.
(c) Some sleep.
(d) Some newly-made fish balls.
9. What does Mochida ask Jiro the next morning?
(a) If Kanshi is ill.
(b) Where Kanshi is.
(c) Why Kanshi fell asleep at practice the day before.
(d) Why Kanshi seems always tired.
10. What does Mochida explain to Jiro?
(a) The police have said that nothing controversial may be shown at the theater.
(b) Merchants are staying home to guard their wares.
(c) The police have intimidated many would-be theater goers.
(d) Saburo's gang has declared the theater off limits.
11. What does Jira say he will try to arrange for Kinshi?
(a) A meeting with Yashida.
(b) A way to keep his assigned job.
(c) A bigger part in the next play.
(d) A meeting with Saburo.
12. What does Jiro explain about Yoshida?
(a) That Yoshida will probably make Jiro leave the theater.
(b) What he has learned about Yoshida.
(c) That Yoshida saved him once.
(d) That he is afraid to confront Yoshida.
13. What does Yoshida eventually decide to do?
(a) Put on a play called The Battle of Dannoura.
(b) Appeal to the Shogun.
(c) Defy the authorities.
(d) Appeal to the Emperor.
14. Why does Jiro know he cannot turn in Yashida?
(a) It would be the end of food for the poor.
(b) It would harm his parents.
(c) It would leave him without a job.
(d) It would be a betrayal.
15. How is Kinshi the next morning?
(d) Very depressed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is shouting for Yoshida at the gate?
2. What have some people started doing at night?
3. Who is Hanji disguised as?
4. What does Okada admit to Jiro?
5. Why does Jiro not want to go to Yoshida?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)