|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Saburo's gang rob the merchant's house?
(a) They only rob the livestock.
(b) They do not rob the merchant after he gives them some money that is on his person.
(c) By forcing the occupants to vacate the buildings with a search warrant.
(d) They do so after putting the merchant in jail.
2. Where does Jiro decide to practice his part?
(a) Down by the river.
(b) In the practice room.
(c) The stable.
(d) In the upstairs storeroom.
3. What does Jiro realize about the puppeteer?
(a) It is Okada.
(b) It is Toza.
(c) It is Yoshida.
(d) It is Hanji.
4. What does the puppet say about curiosity?
(a) That it is dishonorable to give in to one's curiosity.
(b) That it can lead to knowing things one does not wish to know
(c) That it is healthy up to a point.
(d) That it can be very dangerous.
5. What does the girl who is being courted by a high-born suitor do?
(a) Says she will die if he does not say where he lives.
(b) Looks through his pockets.
(c) Sticks a needle into his clothes.
(d) Puts dye on his shoes.
6. Who is Hanji disguised as?
(a) A policeman.
(b) A fireman.
(c) No one.
(d) A merchant.
7. What does Mochida ask Jiro the next morning?
(a) Why Kanshi seems always tired.
(b) Why Kanshi fell asleep at practice the day before.
(c) Where Kanshi is.
(d) If Kanshi is ill.
8. What does Jiro want his mother to do when he sees her in the audience?
(c) Come backstage after the performance.
(d) See his part in the play.
9. Why does Jiro not want to go to Yoshida?
(a) Jiro does not think Yoshida will care.
(b) Yoshida may fire Jiro.
(c) Yoshida will be too angry to listen.
(d) Yoshida may punish Kenshi terribly.
10. What does Okada ask Jiro to do?
(a) Continue as if nothing has happened.
(b) Go to an address and leave a note.
(c) Not say anything to Kenshi.
(d) Retrieve the Samurai sword.
11. Where does Kinshi say it is forbidden to go?
(a) In the attic.
(b) In the cellar.
(c) In the upstairs storehouse.
(d) In the stable's loft.
12. What does Hanji give Jiro?
(a) A note from Okada.
(b) A bandana.
(c) Some money.
(d) His fireman's coat.
13. What do the other boys do for Kinshi?
(a) Find him a better-fitting harness.
(b) Cover for him.
(c) Keep him awake.
(d) There's nothing they can do for him.
14. How is the play doing as Spring rolls around?
(a) It is still successful.
(b) It is poorly attended.
(c) It has been banned by the Shogun.
(d) It is about to be retired.
15. How does Yoshida react when he hears about what is pinned to the door?
(a) He tells them to burn the message.
(b) He tells them to take the message to the Shogun.
(c) He tells them to post the message in the courtyard.
(d) He tells them to ignore the message.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jiro irritable as Kinshi practices?
2. What does Jira say he will try to arrange for Kinshi?
3. Why won't Kinshi allow Jiro to come with him at night?
4. How is Kinshi the next morning?
5. What does Kinshi say he has to do?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)