|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joman's wife do after he goes to prison?
(a) Kills herself.
(b) Grieves for years.
(c) Goes into a Buddhist convent.
(d) Marries another man.
2. What does Kinshi say to Jiro about the available food at the theater?
(a) He does not know where they get the food.
(b) He thinks they should distribute the food to the poor.
(c) He thinks the food is stolen.
(d) It is wrong for them to have so much.
3. How is the play doing as Spring rolls around?
(a) It has been banned by the Shogun.
(b) It is poorly attended.
(c) It is about to be retired.
(d) It is still successful.
4. What does Jiro say to Mochida's question?
(a) Kanshi is sad.
(b) Kanshi has not been feeling well.
(c) Kanshi has been having nightmares.
(d) Kanshi went for an early morning walk.
5. What does the puppet say about curiosity?
(a) That it is dishonorable to give in to one's curiosity.
(b) That it is healthy up to a point.
(c) That it can lead to knowing things one does not wish to know
(d) That it can be very dangerous.
6. Where does Jiro decide to practice his part?
(a) The stable.
(b) Down by the river.
(c) In the practice room.
(d) In the upstairs storeroom.
7. What does Jiro agree to do after the last performance of the day?
(a) Go and warn the night rovers.
(b) Ask Kenshi to see Okada.
(c) Go and tell his mother to stay home that night.
(d) Retrieve the sword.
8. What does the man make the puppet do?
(a) Look like the puppet is about to discover something really big.
(c) Look like the puppet is searching for someone.
(d) Carry a letter.
9. Who is shouting for Yoshida at the gate?
(a) The night rovers.
(b) No one.
(c) Saburo's gang.
(d) The police.
10. What does Jira say he will try to arrange for Kinshi?
(a) A meeting with Yashida.
(b) A way to keep his assigned job.
(c) A bigger part in the next play.
(d) A meeting with Saburo.
11. What happens after the play is done?
(a) The people stand and chant Saburo's name.
(b) The lights go out and a voice makes a statement.
(c) Nothing out of the ordinary.
(d) The soldiers start clubbing people.
12. How does Kinshi get out of his chores?
(a) He volunteers to go to market.
(b) He says he needs to practice.
(c) He volunteers to deliver an invitation from Yoshida.
(d) He says he is sick.
13. Why does Jiro know he cannot turn in Yashida?
(a) It would be a betrayal.
(b) It would harm his parents.
(c) It would leave him without a job.
(d) It would be the end of food for the poor.
14. Why is Kinshi worried about his part in the next performance?
(a) He is not worried.
(b) He cannot seem to remember his lines.
(c) He has been assigned as foot operator for a difficult part.
(d) He has broken his toe.
15. What does the Samurai tell Yoshida?
(a) That Yoshida can make his own decision about whether to do the play or not.
(b) That the performance will be done in the town square.
(c) That there will be hidden soldiers in the audience.
(d) That the performance will not be allowed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jiro explain about Yoshida?
2. Where does Kinshi say it is forbidden to go?
3. What does Yoshida tell the boys to get?
4. What do the other boys do for Kinshi?
5. What is the bird on the crest of the Samurai who visits Yoshida?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)