|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is at the door one night when Jiro and Kinshi hear a banging sound?
(b) No one.
2. Who does Okada tell Tozo to send for?
(c) Jiro's mother.
3. What does Jiro say when he asks to speak to Okada?
(a) Jiro does not elaborate.
(b) It must happen that day.
(c) He will have to leave the theater if he cannot speak with Okada.
(d) It is a matter of life and death.
4. What does Jira say he will try to arrange for Kinshi?
(a) A way to keep his assigned job.
(b) A bigger part in the next play.
(c) A meeting with Yashida.
(d) A meeting with Saburo.
5. What does Kinshi say to Jiro about the available food at the theater?
(a) He thinks they should distribute the food to the poor.
(b) It is wrong for them to have so much.
(c) He thinks the food is stolen.
(d) He does not know where they get the food.
6. Who does Jiro think is Saburto?
(c) He is not sure.
7. What do the other boys do for Kinshi?
(a) Find him a better-fitting harness.
(b) Keep him awake.
(c) Cover for him.
(d) There's nothing they can do for him.
8. How does Yoshida react when he hears about what is pinned to the door?
(a) He tells them to post the message in the courtyard.
(b) He tells them to take the message to the Shogun.
(c) He tells them to burn the message.
(d) He tells them to ignore the message.
9. What does the girl who is being courted by a high-born suitor do?
(a) Looks through his pockets.
(b) Puts dye on his shoes.
(c) Says she will die if he does not say where he lives.
(d) Sticks a needle into his clothes.
10. Where does Jiro decide to practice his part?
(a) Down by the river.
(b) In the upstairs storeroom.
(c) In the practice room.
(d) The stable.
11. How does Saburo's gang convince a merchant that the merchant is under arrest?
(a) They have a false warrant tacked to the merchant's door.
(b) They do not need to convince the merchant; they threaten him.
(c) The gang uses the clothing they stole at the play.
(d) They have forged papers.
12. What is happening in the city when Jiro goes there after the performance?
(b) Absolute silence.
(d) Hundreds of people are standing silently outside the Shogun's residence.
13. What does the Samurai tell Yoshida?
(a) That Yoshida can make his own decision about whether to do the play or not.
(b) That the performance will not be allowed.
(c) That there will be hidden soldiers in the audience.
(d) That the performance will be done in the town square.
14. Where does Kinshi say it is forbidden to go?
(a) In the cellar.
(b) In the attic.
(c) In the stable's loft.
(d) In the upstairs storehouse.
15. What does Okada ask Jiro?
(a) If Jiro would lay his life on the line for Kinshi.
(b) If Jiro believes in what Saburo is doing.
(c) If Jiro believes in what Kinshi is doing.
(d) If Jiro is tempted to turn in Yoshida.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jiro tell Okada?
2. What does Jiro realize about the puppeteer?
3. How does Jiro respond to Yashida's questioning?
4. Who is shouting for Yoshida at the gate?
5. How is the play doing as Spring rolls around?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)