|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is shouting for Yoshida at the gate?
(a) The police.
(b) No one.
(c) Saburo's gang.
(d) The night rovers.
2. What does the man make the puppet do?
(a) Look like the puppet is about to discover something really big.
(c) Look like the puppet is searching for someone.
(d) Carry a letter.
3. Where does Kinshi say it is forbidden to go?
(a) In the cellar.
(b) In the attic.
(c) In the upstairs storehouse.
(d) In the stable's loft.
4. What is the bird on the crest of the Samurai who visits Yoshida?
(a) A hawk.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A vulture.
(d) A heron.
5. What does Jiro tell Okada?
(a) About Kinshi's hopes.
(b) About his mother being beaten.
(c) About his father's disappearance.
(d) About Kinshi's night activities.
6. What is Jiro shocked when the play opens that night?
(a) His mother is there with his father.
(b) There are few people in attendance.
(c) His brother is there.
(d) His father is there.
7. What does the puppet say about curiosity?
(a) That it can lead to knowing things one does not wish to know
(b) That it is healthy up to a point.
(c) That it is dishonorable to give in to one's curiosity.
(d) That it can be very dangerous.
8. What does Jiro find where he is preparing to practice?
(a) A red cape.
(b) A barrel of rice.
(c) A Samaurai sword.
(d) A dagger.
9. Who comes to take Jiro to Okada?
(d) No one.
10. What does the Samurai tell Yoshida?
(a) That there will be hidden soldiers in the audience.
(b) That the performance will not be allowed.
(c) That Yoshida can make his own decision about whether to do the play or not.
(d) That the performance will be done in the town square.
11. What does Mochida explain to Jiro?
(a) The police have said that nothing controversial may be shown at the theater.
(b) Merchants are staying home to guard their wares.
(c) The police have intimidated many would-be theater goers.
(d) Saburo's gang has declared the theater off limits.
12. Where does Jiro decide to practice his part?
(a) In the upstairs storeroom.
(b) Down by the river.
(c) The stable.
(d) In the practice room.
13. Why dos Jiro run past Okada?
(a) He hears his father yelling.
(b) He hears Kenshi screaming.
(c) He is needed in the theater.
(d) He is afraid of what the man will do.
14. What does Kinshi say to Jiro about the available food at the theater?
(a) He thinks the food is stolen.
(b) It is wrong for them to have so much.
(c) He thinks they should distribute the food to the poor.
(d) He does not know where they get the food.
15. What does Okada admit to Jiro?
(a) Yoshida is Saburo.
(b) There is no Saburo.
(c) Hanji is Saburo.
(d) He is Saburo.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the boys treat Jiro?
2. What does Jiro say when he asks to speak to Okada?
3. Why does Jiro not want to go to Yoshida?
4. What does the girl who is being courted by a high-born suitor do?
5. Who is the person coming up the storeroom stairs?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)