|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to the theater the next morning?
(d) Jiro's youngest brother.
2. What does Jiro decide to do on the New Year instead of celebrating with the others?
(a) Work overtime for some food for his mother.
(b) Go see his mother.
(d) Go to talk to his brother.
3. About what has Yoshida just sent word?
(a) He needs a special Empress puppet.
(b) He needs a whole set of children puppets.
(c) He does not need the new puppet Hanji is making.
(d) He needs several new puppets.
4. What list does Yoshida post?
(a) The rotation of cleaning and scrubbing duties.
(b) The boys' roles in the new play.
(c) The names of the expected attendees of the opening night of the new play.
(d) A list of new words in the play.
5. What is Joman's occupation?
(a) A potter.
(b) A samurai.
(c) A bandit.
(d) A scribe.
6. What does Kinshi say the left-hand operators will do?
(a) Try to mess up Jiro on his first day.
(b) Move the puppets towards the center of the stage.
(c) Pull the curtain while Jiro drops the set.
(d) Nod when it's time to pull the curtain.
7. How does Jiro's family make money?
(a) Selling puppets.
(b) Making calligraphy invitations.
(c) Spinning wool.
(d) Selling eggs.
8. What does Kinshi admire?
(a) Jiro leaving home voluntarily.
(b) His father's performance.
(c) One young girl in the audience.
(d) Jiro's dexterity.
9. For what are the boys preparing?
(a) The Emperor's birthday.
(b) Okada's birthday.
(c) The New Year.
(d) Yoshida's birthday.
10. Who is Saburo?
(a) The medicine man of the village.
(b) The mayor of the village.
(c) A notorious bandit.
(d) A blacksmith.
11. Who is Okada?
(a) The master painter.
(b) The stable hand.
(c) The master chanter.
(d) The cook.
12. Who is Hanji?
(a) Jiro's father.
(b) Jiro's sister.
(c) Jiro's grandmother.
(d) Jiro's brother.
13. What is Jiro chosen to hold on stage one day?
(a) A boat.
(b) A rocket.
(c) A clam.
(d) A basket.
14. What does Jiro think Yoshida does beautifully at the performance?
(a) The suicide scene.
(b) Moves the female puppet's fingers.
(c) The sword fight.
(d) The interview with the Emperor.
15. Who is Yoshida?
(a) Jiro's brother.
(b) The master puppeteer.
(c) A master potter.
(d) Jiro's uncle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jiro worried about his new duty?
2. What is offered for Saburo's capture?
3. In what disguise do Saburo and his crew pull off the robbery?
4. What does Jiro ask Mochida?
5. What will Jiro be able to do someday if he is employed properly?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)