|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many ryo are placed as a reward on Saburo's head?
2. What happens to the snipe?
(a) Its mechanism squeals.
(b) It gets caught in the clam.
(c) It falls off stage.
(d) It breaks.
3. Who wrote the play, "The Thief of the Tokaido"?
4. Why is Jiro worried about his new duty?
(a) He is not very tall.
(b) He trips the last time he had to do this job.
(c) His foot is still hurting from almost being attacked.
(d) It is a big responsibility and he is not sure he is ready.
5. How do the boys feel about Kinshi?
(a) They are all jealous of him.
(b) They all think he is a show off.
(c) They all hate him.
(d) They all love him.
6. What happens to Jiro's mother when she goes to the shrine to get food?
(a) She is given work in the Shogun's house.
(b) She is attacked on the way home.
(c) She is killed.
7. What does Yoshida do after discovering the celebration?
(a) Whips Jiro.
(b) Fires Jiro.
(c) Whips Kenshi.
(d) Joins in the celebration.
8. How does Jiro's family make money?
(a) Making calligraphy invitations.
(b) Selling eggs.
(c) Selling puppets.
(d) Spinning wool.
9. What list does Yoshida post?
(a) The boys' roles in the new play.
(b) The names of the expected attendees of the opening night of the new play.
(c) A list of new words in the play.
(d) The rotation of cleaning and scrubbing duties.
10. Who has fallen in love with Joman?
(b) Kinshi's aunt.
(c) Hanji's sister.
(d) No one.
11. Who is Kinshi?
(a) The son of Saburo.
(b) A beggar boy Jiro meets at the blacksmith's stable.
(c) The boy Jiro saw being disciplined.
(d) The blacksmith's son.
12. Who is Mochida?
(a) Yoshida's tailor.
(b) A kind man who oversees the apprentices.
(c) The head of the puppet's guild.
(d) The head of the blacksmith's guild.
13. Who does Joman disguise himself as?
(a) Joman's grandfather.
(b) Fusamu's old mother.
(d) The Shogun for whom he works.
14. What will Jiro be able to do someday if he is employed properly?
(a) Set up his own vegetable farm.
(b) Help his siblings.
(d) Give his family money.
15. What does Jiro offer to do for Kenshi?
(a) Tell Yoshida that Kenshi wants to talk with him.
(b) Play the snipe part for Kenshi to practice.
(c) Tell Yoshida how good Kenshi is.
(d) Steal a copy of the new play.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mochida's response to Jiro's question?
2. What does Jiro do to prepare for his part in the new production?
3. What does Okada tell Jiro to claim?
4. How does Jiro do in his part of the play?
5. What does Kinshi say he did the last time there was a new play?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)