|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jiro's part in the new play?
(a) Foot manipulator for one of the female puppets.
(b) Curtain raiser.
(c) Foot manipulator for one of the whale puppets.
(d) Snipe holder.
2. About whom do Jiro and Hanji talk with another man?
(a) A wool merchant.
(b) A cloth merchant.
(c) A new offcial.
(d) A rice merchant.
3. What is the Hanaza?
(a) The outdoor craft fair.
(b) The puppet theater.
(c) The community dining hall.
(d) The outdoor meeting place.
4. What is Kwada's job in the theater?
(a) Prop man.
(c) Foot operator.
(d) Costume designer.
5. What has Jiro learned about his mother?
(a) She has had another child.
(b) She is dying.
(c) She has returned home without Hanji.
(d) She wants to see Jiro.
6. How is Wada described?
(a) Ugly and fat.
(b) Thin and quick.
(d) Very smart.
7. What does Jiro admire about the boy who is disciplined?
(a) He found another way to move.
(b) He knew what to do for the master.
(c) He intimitdated another boy.
(d) He does not cry out.
8. What does Jiro find when he is stealing the text of the next play?
(a) A letter from Hanji to Yoshida.
(b) Nothing out of the ordinary.
(c) A letter from Yoshida to Saburo.
(d) A basket hat.
9. What is Taro doing when Jiro talks with him?
(a) Stealing some grapes.
(b) Writing out a bill of sale.
(c) Planting corn.
(d) Looking after his parents' house.
10. What is one reason Jiro has decided to do what he does?
(a) There will be one less mouth to feed at home.
(b) His father is very ill.
(c) His mother has been hounding him too much.
(d) He can learn blacksmithing and then set up a shop.
11. How does Jiro's family make money?
(a) Selling puppets.
(b) Making calligraphy invitations.
(c) Spinning wool.
(d) Selling eggs.
12. What does the visitor to the theater bring?
(b) A letter of demands.
(c) A note from Jiro's grandfather.
(d) Jiro's sleeping quilts.
13. What is Jiro chosen to hold on stage one day?
(a) A basket.
(b) A rocket.
(c) A boat.
(d) A clam.
14. What is Joman's occupation?
(a) A samurai.
(b) A scribe.
(c) A bandit.
(d) A potter.
15. To whom does Kinshi introduce Jiro?
(a) To the other apprentices.
(b) To Yoshida.
(c) To his dog.
(d) To his younger brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mochida?
2. Who is Okada?
3. Who offers the reward for Saburo's capture?
4. About what has Yoshida just sent word?
5. What does Yoshido say about Jiro?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)