|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Okada react to Jiro's request?
(a) He refuses to give Jiro a copy.
(b) He laughs and gives him a copy.
(c) He says he cannot release him.
(d) He says he will send someone to find out about Hinji.
2. What does Jiro hope about his father?
(a) He will recover from his bad fall.
(b) He will come to the performance.
(c) He will let Jiro come back home.
(d) He will get a job with Yoshida also.
3. What is happening when Jiro gets to the theater?
(a) Officials are trying to make Yoshida pay more taxes.
(b) There is a small fire.
(c) A performance is in progress.
(d) The sets are being changed.
4. How does Jiro's family make money?
(a) Selling eggs.
(b) Selling puppets.
(c) Making calligraphy invitations.
(d) Spinning wool.
5. What does Okada tell Jiro to claim?
(a) That Jiro is going to be allowed to control a puppet.
(b) That Jiro stole a copy of the play.
(c) That Okada is going to put Jiro in charge of the other boys.
(d) That Jiro has memorized the play just by listening to it.
6. For what are the boys preparing?
(a) The New Year.
(b) The Emperor's birthday.
(c) Okada's birthday.
(d) Yoshida's birthday.
7. Who has fallen in love with Joman?
(a) Hanji's sister.
(b) Kinshi's aunt.
(d) No one.
8. What does the person who calls him selfish say will be the result of Jiro joining the theater?
(a) Isako will die of grief.
(b) Jiro will fail.
(c) Hanji will become ill.
(d) Hanji will kill himself.
9. For what is Yoshida disciplining one of the boys?
(a) Mixing the clay too thin.
(b) Breaking a pot.
(c) Moving a puppet.
(d) Breaking a cycle.
10. Who is Kinshi?
(a) A beggar boy Jiro meets at the blacksmith's stable.
(b) The boy Jiro saw being disciplined.
(c) The son of Saburo.
(d) The blacksmith's son.
11. What does Jiro admire about the boy who is disciplined?
(a) He knew what to do for the master.
(b) He intimitdated another boy.
(c) He found another way to move.
(d) He does not cry out.
12. What is offered for Saburo's capture?
(a) Elevation to noble class.
(b) Some land.
(c) A large monetary reward.
13. What does Kinshi say he did the last time there was a new play?
(a) Changed some of the lines.
(b) Memorized all the lines.
(c) Stole Yoshida's personal copy.
(d) Suggested some new puppets for it.
14. What is Mochida's response to Jiro's question?
(a) Jiro may visit Hanji.
(b) Jiro has to work longer for a recommendation.
(c) There is no more work.
(d) The puppet is unbalanced.
15. What is Taro doing when Jiro talks with him?
(a) Stealing some grapes.
(b) Looking after his parents' house.
(c) Planting corn.
(d) Writing out a bill of sale.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jiro go after talking with Taro?
2. Who is Okada?
3. Who is Yoshida?
4. What does Jiro think Yoshida does beautifully at the performance?
5. Who does Joman disguise himself as?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)