|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kinshi admire?
(a) One young girl in the audience.
(b) Jiro leaving home voluntarily.
(c) His father's performance.
(d) Jiro's dexterity.
2. Who is Hanji?
(a) Jiro's grandmother.
(b) Jiro's sister.
(c) Jiro's father.
(d) Jiro's brother.
3. Where does Jiro visit Okada?
(a) In the stables.
(b) In his dressing room.
(c) In the bath house.
(d) In the kitchen.
4. What is Joman's occupation?
(a) A bandit.
(b) A scribe.
(c) A potter.
(d) A samurai.
5. With whom does Yoshida find fault when he watches the boys' practice?
6. How is Minoru described?
(a) Handsome and has a beautiful voice.
(b) Ugly and thin.
(c) There is no mention of a Minoru.
7. Who wrote the play, "The Thief of the Tokaido"?
8. Where are Hanji and Isako?
(a) Jiro's grandfather's place in the capitol.
(b) The big city.
(c) Jiro does not find out.
(d) Jiro's cousin's farm.
9. What does Jira ask Okada?
(a) To be released from his apprenticeship.
(b) To speak to Yoshida.
(c) For a copy of the play.
(d) To go once more to check on his father.
10. What does Jiro decide to do?
(a) Apprentice himself to the blacksmith.
(b) Go offer himself as an apprentice to Yoshidaq.
(c) Work a small plot of land near the forest.
(d) Go to the big city to find work.
11. Who has fallen in love with Joman?
(a) Hanji's sister.
(b) Kinshi's aunt.
(d) No one.
12. What is the state of Jiro's family?
(a) They have to send in more tax money.
(d) They have to move.
13. How many ryo are placed as a reward on Saburo's head?
14. What does Okada tell Jiro to claim?
(a) That Jiro stole a copy of the play.
(b) That Jiro is going to be allowed to control a puppet.
(c) That Jiro has memorized the play just by listening to it.
(d) That Okada is going to put Jiro in charge of the other boys.
15. What has Jiro learned about his mother?
(a) She has had another child.
(b) She has returned home without Hanji.
(c) She is dying.
(d) She wants to see Jiro.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jiro worry about his decision?
2. What list does Yoshida post?
3. What does Jiro decide to do on the New Year instead of celebrating with the others?
4. What is Taro doing when Jiro talks with him?
5. What is happening when Jiro gets to the theater?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)