|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jiro worry about his decision?
(a) He worries that his mother will miss him.
(b) He is of making his parents angry.
(c) He is afraid he will miss his brothers.
(d) He is afraid of failure.
2. Who does the character Joman resemble?
(d) The Shogun.
3. What does Jiro do that is rude?
(a) Refuses to shake Yoshida's hand.
(b) Does not remove his sandals in Yoshida's house.
(c) Does not allow his mother to speak.
(d) Interrupts his father.
4. What does Jiro think Yoshida does beautifully at the performance?
(a) The sword fight.
(b) Moves the female puppet's fingers.
(c) The interview with the Emperor.
(d) The suicide scene.
5. What is Joman's occupation?
(a) A bandit.
(b) A samurai.
(c) A scribe.
(d) A potter.
6. Who is Okada?
(a) The cook.
(b) The master painter.
(c) The master chanter.
(d) The stable hand.
7. Where are Hanji and Isako?
(a) Jiro's cousin's farm.
(b) Jiro's grandfather's place in the capitol.
(c) The big city.
(d) Jiro does not find out.
8. What is Jiro's part in the new play?
(a) Foot manipulator for one of the female puppets.
(b) Snipe holder.
(c) Foot manipulator for one of the whale puppets.
(d) Curtain raiser.
9. What does Kinshi say the left-hand operators will do?
(a) Try to mess up Jiro on his first day.
(b) Move the puppets towards the center of the stage.
(c) Nod when it's time to pull the curtain.
(d) Pull the curtain while Jiro drops the set.
10. For what is Yoshida disciplining one of the boys?
(a) Mixing the clay too thin.
(b) Moving a puppet.
(c) Breaking a cycle.
(d) Breaking a pot.
11. How do the boys feel about Kinshi?
(a) They all think he is a show off.
(b) They all hate him.
(c) They are all jealous of him.
(d) They all love him.
12. Why is Jiro worried about his new duty?
(a) He is not very tall.
(b) His foot is still hurting from almost being attacked.
(c) He trips the last time he had to do this job.
(d) It is a big responsibility and he is not sure he is ready.
13. What is Teiji's problem?
(a) He has several fingers missing.
(b) He has a tic in his face.
(c) He limps from a club foot.
(d) He stutters.
14. What does Jiro decide to do on the New Year instead of celebrating with the others?
(a) Go to talk to his brother.
(b) Work overtime for some food for his mother.
(c) Go see his mother.
15. What does the person who calls him selfish say will be the result of Jiro joining the theater?
(a) Jiro will fail.
(b) Hanji will become ill.
(c) Isako will die of grief.
(d) Hanji will kill himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jiro go after talking with Taro?
2. How is Jiro feeling?
3. Who does Joman disguise himself as?
4. About what has Yoshida just sent word?
5. How is Wada described?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)