|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jiro helping his father do?
(a) Sow rice seeds.
(b) Gather eggs.
(c) Make a new puppet.
(d) Shear sheep.
2. Who is Hanji?
(a) Jiro's brother.
(b) Jiro's father.
(c) Jiro's grandmother.
(d) Jiro's sister.
3. What is one reason Jiro has decided to do what he does?
(a) There will be one less mouth to feed at home.
(b) He can learn blacksmithing and then set up a shop.
(c) His mother has been hounding him too much.
(d) His father is very ill.
4. What does Isako not let Jiro do?
(a) Explain his reasons.
(b) Come home.
(c) Talk to Hanji.
(d) Walk her out of the theater.
5. What does Jiro do that is rude?
(a) Interrupts his father.
(b) Refuses to shake Yoshida's hand.
(c) Does not allow his mother to speak.
(d) Does not remove his sandals in Yoshida's house.
6. To whom does Kinshi introduce Jiro?
(a) To Yoshida.
(b) To the other apprentices.
(c) To his younger brother.
(d) To his dog.
7. What does Jiro ask Mochida?
(a) For more work.
(b) For help with a puppet Jiro is making.
(c) For permission to check on his father.
(d) For a short letter of introduction.
8. Where do Jiro and Hanji go?
(a) The bathhouse.
(b) The wool house.
(d) The butcher.
9. About what has Yoshida just sent word?
(a) He needs a whole set of children puppets.
(b) He needs several new puppets.
(c) He needs a special Empress puppet.
(d) He does not need the new puppet Hanji is making.
10. How does Jiro feel about himself in regards to his family?
(a) That they resent him being alive.
(b) That he should help his family more.
(c) That they believe in him.
(d) That he is just a nuisance.
11. What is the Hanaza?
(a) The puppet theater.
(b) The community dining hall.
(c) The outdoor meeting place.
(d) The outdoor craft fair.
12. Who is Kinshi?
(a) The boy Jiro saw being disciplined.
(b) The blacksmith's son.
(c) A beggar boy Jiro meets at the blacksmith's stable.
(d) The son of Saburo.
13. What is the situation in this country during this time?
(a) A famine.
(b) A civil war.
(c) A drought.
(d) A religious upheaval.
14. What tells Yoshida tell Jiro to do?
(a) Get ready for the performance.
(b) To go home.
(c) To sit in the corner quietly until after the performance.
(d) To watch the play once to understand the plot.
15. What does Jiro hope about his father?
(a) He will come to the performance.
(b) He will get a job with Yoshida also.
(c) He will let Jiro come back home.
(d) He will recover from his bad fall.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Jiro apprentice himself?
2. What does Kinshi say the left-hand operators will do?
3. What does Kinshi say he did the last time there was a new play?
4. How does Jiro's family make money?
5. Who wears baskets on their heads?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)