|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jira ask Okada?
(a) For a copy of the play.
(b) To be released from his apprenticeship.
(c) To go once more to check on his father.
(d) To speak to Yoshida.
2. What does Jiro ask Mochida?
(a) For permission to check on his father.
(b) For help with a puppet Jiro is making.
(c) For a short letter of introduction.
(d) For more work.
3. What is the state of Jiro's family?
(a) They have to move.
(d) They have to send in more tax money.
4. What is Jiro helping his father do?
(a) Shear sheep.
(b) Gather eggs.
(c) Make a new puppet.
(d) Sow rice seeds.
5. What does Isako not let Jiro do?
(a) Talk to Hanji.
(b) Come home.
(c) Walk her out of the theater.
(d) Explain his reasons.
6. Where are Hanji and Isako?
(a) Jiro's cousin's farm.
(b) Jiro does not find out.
(c) The big city.
(d) Jiro's grandfather's place in the capitol.
7. What is said about Yoshida?
(a) He has an audience with the Shogun.
(b) He is sick.
(c) He is sending his son to work for the Shogun.
(d) He is retiring and handing over the theater to Okada.
8. Where does Jiro go after talking with Taro?
(a) To the Hanaza.
(b) To the big city.
(c) To his cousin's farm.
(d) To the capitol.
9. What is Jiro's part in the new play?
(a) Foot manipulator for one of the whale puppets.
(b) Snipe holder.
(c) Foot manipulator for one of the female puppets.
(d) Curtain raiser.
10. What is Mochida's response to Jiro's question?
(a) There is no more work.
(b) Jiro has to work longer for a recommendation.
(c) Jiro may visit Hanji.
(d) The puppet is unbalanced.
11. Where does Jiro sleep?
(a) In the dressing room.
(b) In the barn.
(c) In with Okada.
(d) He goes home every day to sleep.
12. How is Wada described?
(a) Ugly and fat.
(b) Very smart.
(c) Thin and quick.
13. What does the visitor to the theater bring?
(a) Jiro's sleeping quilts.
(c) A note from Jiro's grandfather.
(d) A letter of demands.
14. Who offers the reward for Saburo's capture?
(a) The Samurai noble in the town.
(b) The authorities and the merchants' guild.
(c) No one.
(d) The Emperor.
15. What is Joman's occupation?
(a) A scribe.
(b) A bandit.
(c) A potter.
(d) A samurai.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jiro worry about Hanji?
2. Who tells Jiro he is selfish?
3. Who is Saburo?
4. How is Jiro feeling?
5. What is Jiro chosen to hold on stage one day?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)