|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jiro's family make money?
(a) Selling eggs.
(b) Selling puppets.
(c) Making calligraphy invitations.
(d) Spinning wool.
2. What is offered for Saburo's capture?
(a) Elevation to noble class.
(c) Some land.
(d) A large monetary reward.
3. Who is to control the snipe?
4. Who tells Jiro he is selfish?
(b) His sister.
(c) His grandmother.
(d) His mother.
5. What does Jiro keep doing?
(a) Making up songs in his mind.
(c) Making mistakes.
(d) Swatting at a bee.
6. Who is Taro?
(a) Jiro's cousin.
(b) Jiro's neighbor.
(c) The mean grain merchant.
(d) Another puppet apprentice.
7. Why does Fusamu go into fits of shrieking?
(a) A bandit accidentally kills her cat.
(b) To pretend her mother has died.
(c) Her brother is killed by one of the bandits.
(d) Her dog is killed by one of the soldiers.
8. What does the visitor to the theater bring?
(a) Jiro's sleeping quilts.
(b) A note from Jiro's grandfather.
(d) A letter of demands.
9. What is the situation in this country during this time?
(a) A civil war.
(b) A famine.
(c) A religious upheaval.
(d) A drought.
10. Who comes to the theater the next morning?
(b) Jiro's youngest brother.
11. Who is Yoshida?
(a) Jiro's brother.
(b) The master puppeteer.
(c) Jiro's uncle.
(d) A master potter.
12. What does Isako not let Jiro do?
(a) Come home.
(b) Explain his reasons.
(c) Walk her out of the theater.
(d) Talk to Hanji.
13. What does Yoshida tell Kinshi to do?
(a) Show Jiro how to run the turn mill.
(b) Repair several puppets.
(c) Operate the feet for the rest of the show.
(d) Apply for a different apprenticeship.
14. How does Jiro feel about himself in regards to his family?
(a) That they resent him being alive.
(b) That he should help his family more.
(c) That they believe in him.
(d) That he is just a nuisance.
15. What list does Yoshida post?
(a) The names of the expected attendees of the opening night of the new play.
(b) The boys' roles in the new play.
(c) A list of new words in the play.
(d) The rotation of cleaning and scrubbing duties.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jiro sleep?
2. Why is Jiro worried about his new duty?
3. What does Kinshi say the left-hand operators will do?
4. What does Jiro offer to do for Kenshi?
5. Who is Saburo?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)