Chapters 1-2, 'Son of Hanji' and 'The Feast'
• Jiro helps his father make puppets and though there is a famine they are better off than many.
• They can still make some money selling puppets but Jiro is still very hungry and keeps making mistakes.
• Jiro's mother is very frustrated with him. He and his father decide to use the last of their money visiting the bathhouse.
• There they talk with another man about a rich merchant who was robbed by the notorious bandit Saburo.
• Jiro and his father go to sell a puppet to Yoshida, the master puppeteer at the Hanaza, a puppet theater.
• Inside, Yoshida is beating one of the boys for moving a puppet's feet when they were supposed to be still.
• Yoshida offers food and Hanji, Jiro's father refuses but Jiro is too hungry to follow social etiquette. He accepts the food.
• Although Jiro's...
This section contains 2,413 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)