|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author states that Alexander was deeply affected by two things during his childhood - his love of Homer's epic poetry and the extreme and eccentric beliefs of whom?
(d) Da Vinci.
2. Wellington was eventually named the Commander-in-Chief of the British and ____________ forces, which sent him to Flanders.
3. What war did an uprising in Spain and Portugal against the French emperor later become?
(a) The European War.
(b) The English Civil War.
(c) The Spanish Civil War.
(d) The Peninsular War.
4. The most important battle of Wellington's life would turn out to be the __________ day battle at Waterloo.
5. The French were determined to throw a web of alliances over the principalities as a sign of allegiance to whom?
(a) The Moghuls.
(b) The Chinese.
(c) The Swedes.
(d) The Russians.
6. What was Alexander's preliminary goal during those years?
(a) To invade Greece.
(b) To invade the Roman Empire.
(c) To invade China.
(d) To invade Persia.
7. Awards and titles were also lavished on Wellington by whom?
(a) The French and the Spanish.
(b) The Portuguese and the French.
(c) The Spanish and Portuguese.
(d) The French and the Italians.
8. When did Wellington come alive in his military career?
(a) Before his military stint in India.
(b) After his military stint in India.
(c) After the Battle of Waterloo.
(d) While in military school.
9. After Philip died, it was clear that it was Alexander's time to assume power at the tender age of ___________.
10. Alexander wanted to go after and slay Darius, but what happened?
(a) Darius went into hiding.
(b) Darius escaped.
(c) He was called away just long enough for the defeated ruler to escape.
(d) He was injured.
11. Alexander paid a visit to the Oracle and it was said that the Oracle referred to Alexander as the son of whom?
12. Technically, the victory in battle meant that Alexander was now what?
(a) The ruler of Persia.
(b) The ruler of Macedonia.
(c) The ruler of the world.
(d) The ruler of Indo-Europe.
13. Wellington chose to make plans and do what?
(a) Whatever he could to avoid fighting a great battle.
(b) Ignore the plans.
(c) Change the plans frequently.
(d) Attack quickly without thinking.
14. Olympias and Philip were a good match - passionate, loving, and committed by _____________________.
(a) Choice and an arranged marriage.
(b) An arranged marriage, not by choice.
(c) Choice, not by an arranged marriage.
(d) Mutual hatred of the Persian emperor.
15. By 3:00 on Sunday the __________, the battle at Waterloo was in full swing.
Short Answer Questions
1. More widely believed, even if incorrectly, is what legend?
2. Where did Wellington attend school?
3. Alexander often used __________ to the point of detriment.
4. Like many royals, Alexander had a tutor. Alexander's tutor of __________ years also happened to be a brilliant student of Plato's, a man named Aristotle.
5. Philip had been married _________ times by the time he married OIympias and would marry another three times afterward, casting Olympias and the other wives aside as he tired of them.
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)