|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. It is surmised that both Wellington and Napoleon, uniquely adept at grasping higher learning concepts, may have been exposed to a classical learning technique that involved the use of _______________.
(b) Flash cards.
(d) Mnemonic devices.
2. Did Wellington have any sympathy for offenders?
(b) Yes, often.
(c) Yes, sometimes.
(d) Yes, always.
3. Alexander was the __________________ son of Philip II of Macedonia and Olympias.
4. Wellington was eventually named the Commander-in-Chief of the British and ____________ forces, which sent him to Flanders.
5. The closest tally of battles and sieges reached included _____________ battles and eight sieges, not counting those Wellington participated in as a subordinate.
6. Where did Wellington attend school?
7. One of the biggest benefits of Wellington's scarce idle time is what?
(a) Not much is known about the commander.
(b) The commander wrote a great deal.
(c) The commander never made mistakes.
(d) The commander could not get himself into trouble.
8. Alexander often used __________ to the point of detriment.
9. One of Wellington's aims upon his return home was to help save ______________, who had fallen into scandal.
(a) His brother.
(b) His father.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His sister.
10. During the early morning hours, Wellington took time to write his dispatch, which would later appear in its entirety where?
(a) In the London Chronicle.
(b) In the New York Times.
(c) In the Paris Post.
(d) In the London Times.
11. To what did the French set fire?
(a) A textiles plant.
(b) A large business.
(c) A chateau.
(d) A barn.
12. For how long did Alexander march?
(a) Five years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) One year.
(d) Twenty years.
13. Even with _________________ soldiers, Darius was unable to outsmart Alexander, who perfectly executed a plan to attack Darius from the rear rather than wait to face the ruler head on at Cilicia.
14. Alexander wanted to go after and slay Darius, but what happened?
(a) Darius escaped.
(b) He was called away just long enough for the defeated ruler to escape.
(c) Darius went into hiding.
(d) He was injured.
15. How long did Wellington spend in India?
(a) Thirteen years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Eight years.
(d) Four years.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ideas of Wellington impressed Castlereagh?
2. At age ___________, Alexander went to war under Philip's command for the first time.
3. The Macedonian army was different from that of the _______________ in that it was essentially a militia in which the citizens had the right to bear arms.
4. What war did an uprising in Spain and Portugal against the French emperor later become?
5. Like many royals, Alexander had a tutor. Alexander's tutor of __________ years also happened to be a brilliant student of Plato's, a man named Aristotle.
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)