|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Philip had been married _________ times by the time he married OIympias and would marry another three times afterward, casting Olympias and the other wives aside as he tired of them.
2. Once Wellington took the reins, he had participated in an average of how many battles per year, not counting the years taken off during peacetime or tending to other duties?
3. The author states that the only things that saved Wellington from sure death were his superior riding skills and the presence of __________________, his prize steed.
4. Wellington chose to make plans and do what?
(a) Ignore the plans.
(b) Whatever he could to avoid fighting a great battle.
(c) Attack quickly without thinking.
(d) Change the plans frequently.
5. What was Alexander's preliminary goal during those years?
(a) To invade Persia.
(b) To invade China.
(c) To invade Greece.
(d) To invade the Roman Empire.
6. The ___________________ love drama and the theatre.
7. It was ______ months later before Alexander and Darius met again.
8. One of the biggest benefits of Wellington's scarce idle time is what?
(a) The commander never made mistakes.
(b) Not much is known about the commander.
(c) The commander could not get himself into trouble.
(d) The commander wrote a great deal.
9. Did Aristotle have a long and irreversible impact on Alexander?
(c) Yes, but only at first.
(d) Yes, but not at first.
10. Wellington so impressed Castlereagh that the thirty-seven-year-old soldier was soon a trusted confidant and advisor on one military scheme after another. One of those schemes included keeping an eye on whose activities?
(a) King Richard's.
(c) Kaiser Wilhelm.
(d) George Washington's.
11. How much did Wellington leave to chance?
(b) Some small details.
(c) Almost everything.
(d) All aspects of battle.
12. When was Alexander born?
(a) July 365 BC.
(b) July 635 BC.
(c) July 356 BC.
(d) July 653 BC.
13. Wellington was well known for having _____________ routine, which is credited for much of his success in planning campaigns.
(a) An unvarying.
(b) An unusual.
(c) An often changing.
(d) An exciting.
14. What ideas of Wellington impressed Castlereagh?
(a) Protecting Portugal with naval power.
(b) Protecting France with naval power.
(c) Protecting Spain with naval power.
(d) Protecting Portugal with air power.
15. When did Wellington come alive in his military career?
(a) After his military stint in India.
(b) While in military school.
(c) After the Battle of Waterloo.
(d) Before his military stint in India.
Short Answer Questions
1. By 3:00 on Sunday the __________, the battle at Waterloo was in full swing.
2. The French were determined to throw a web of alliances over the principalities as a sign of allegiance to whom?
3. The Macedonian army was different from that of the _______________ in that it was essentially a militia in which the citizens had the right to bear arms.
4. One of Wellington's aims upon his return home was to help save ______________, who had fallen into scandal.
5. Where did Wellington attend school?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)