|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the Marquise during the attack?
(a) An enemy soldier tries to take her prisoner.
(b) The Marquise is used as a shield.
(c) Soldiers of the attacking country try to rape her.
(d) The Marquise is stabbed.
2. What does the Marquise's family hear about the Count as they try to decide how to thank him?
(a) That he was resonsible for the Marquise's attack.
(b) That is a famous womanizer.
(c) That he has been killed in battle.
(d) That he is at a nearby estate, injured.
3. What does the Marquise's mother try to get the Marquise to guess?
(a) The time and place at which her impregnation took place.
(b) The Marquise's mother's opinion of her pregnancy.
(c) The wishes of her deceased husband.
(d) The identity of the father of the baby.
4. How does the Count react after seeing the newspaper article?
5. How do the Count and the Marquise live until after the baby is born?
(a) They live together in the country.
(b) In separate houses.
(c) They live together at the Marquise's parents' house.
(d) The Count is stationed hours away and the Marquise stays with her parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Marquise intend to live her life after she leaves the family home?
2. What does the Marquise do after Count F saves her?
3. Why does the Marquise pack up her belongings, as well as her children's things?
4. What does the Marquise's brother tell her as she is leaving the house?
5. What place is the Marquise's father ordered to defend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens soon after the family hears of the Count's death?
2. What does the doctor tell the Marquise, and how does the Marquise react?
3. How does the Marquise's father react when he hears that the Marquise is with child?
4. What does the Marquise refuse to do before leaving the house?
5. What does the Marquise's mother do to prompt a reconciliation between the Marquise and her father?
6. How does the story end?
7. What kind of life does the Marquise decide to lead after she leaves the family home?
8. Why does the Count want to marry the Marquise, and how does she feel about the idea?
9. What does the Count tell the family, which surprises them?
10. What does the Count do after visiting the Marquise's family?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)