|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Count claim when he visits the family?
(a) That he is being sent to war.
(b) That his wife has recently died.
(c) That he has gone broke.
(d) That he is the father of the baby.
2. What happens to the Marquise's family home during the attack?
(a) It catches fire.
(b) It is used as a base for her countrymen.
(c) It is looted.
(d) It is used as a base for the enemies.
3. What does the Marquise's father reach for as she pleads her case?
(a) A match.
(b) A letter opener.
(c) A pistol.
(d) A newspaper.
4. What does the Marquise request when she writes to her parents?
(a) The Marquise requests that her parents never try to contact her again.
(b) The Marquise requests that her belongings be sent to her.
(c) The Marquise requests that her children be allowed to visit their grandfather on occasion.
(d) The Marquise requests that the father of the baby be sent to the house in V**.
5. According to the Count, what is the Marquise more of than the rest of them?
(a) She is more friendly than the rest of them.
(b) She is more desperate than the rest of them.
(c) She is a more moral person than the rest of them.
(d) She is more beautiful than the rest of them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Marquise and her children move in with her parents?
2. How does the Count feel about marrying the Marquise?
3. How does the Count shock the Marquise's brother?
4. What is the Marquise's given name?
5. Why does the Marquise call for a doctor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the story end?
2. What is surprising about the Count's visit?
3. What is the Marquise doing at the beginning of the story?
4. Why does the Marquise call for a doctor?
5. During dinner with the Marquise and her family, what does the Count tell them about?
6. How is the Marquise described?
7. What does the doctor tell the Marquise, and how does the Marquise react?
8. What happens while the family are trying to think of a way to show their gratitude to the Count?
9. What happens soon after the family hears of the Count's death?
10. What happens to the Marquise's family because of the war?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)