|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the Marquise's family home during the attack?
(a) It is used as a base for her countrymen.
(b) It is used as a base for the enemies.
(c) It catches fire.
(d) It is looted.
2. How do the Count and the Marquise live until after the baby is born?
(a) They live together at the Marquise's parents' house.
(b) In separate houses.
(c) The Count is stationed hours away and the Marquise stays with her parents.
(d) They live together in the country.
3. What does the Count tell the family about during dinner?
(a) His experiences during the war.
(b) His experiences during his recovery.
(c) An old friend who he plans to visit.
(d) His childhood.
4. What does the Marquise request when she writes to her parents?
(a) The Marquise requests that her children be allowed to visit their grandfather on occasion.
(b) The Marquise requests that her parents never try to contact her again.
(c) The Marquise requests that the father of the baby be sent to the house in V**.
(d) The Marquise requests that her belongings be sent to her.
5. How does "The Marquise of O-" conclude?
(a) The Marquise and the Count get married a second time and live happily.
(b) The Marquise becomes sick and abandons her children as she flees to the country.
(c) The Count and the Marquise are unable to get along and part ways quietly.
(d) The Count dies in combat and the Marquise moves in with her parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the ad about which the Marquise puts in the paper?
2. What does the Marquise's mother try to get the Marquise to guess?
3. How does the Count feel about marrying the Marquise?
4. What is the Marquise's father often referred to in the story?
5. What has the Marquise sworn never to do again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the Marquise's family because of the war?
2. What happens soon after the family hears of the Count's death?
3. How does the Count shock the Marquise's brother?
4. What does the Count share about his experiences since he saw the family last?
5. What does the Marquise refuse to do before leaving the house?
6. What kind of life does the Marquise decide to lead after she leaves the family home?
7. What is the Marquise doing at the beginning of the story?
8. What happens following the attack?
9. What does the doctor tell the Marquise, and how does the Marquise react?
10. Why does the Count want to marry the Marquise, and how does she feel about the idea?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)