|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the Marquise's family home during the attack?
(a) It is used as a base for her countrymen.
(b) It is used as a base for the enemies.
(c) It is looted.
(d) It catches fire.
2. How does "The Marquise of O-" conclude?
(a) The Marquise becomes sick and abandons her children as she flees to the country.
(b) The Count and the Marquise are unable to get along and part ways quietly.
(c) The Marquise and the Count get married a second time and live happily.
(d) The Count dies in combat and the Marquise moves in with her parents.
3. How does the Count shock the Marquise's brother?
(a) By telling him that he still intends to marry the Marquise.
(b) By telling him that he is a father.
(c) By telling him that he is married.
(d) By telling him that he is dying.
4. While the Count is away on his trip, what does the Marquise begin to suffer from?
(c) Her usual sickness.
(d) Fits of rage.
5. What does the Count claim when he visits the family?
(a) That he has gone broke.
(b) That he is being sent to war.
(c) That his wife has recently died.
(d) That he is the father of the baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the paperwork that the Count gives to the Marquise state?
2. What does the Marquise's mother claim she will do if the Marquise's father does not forgive his daughter?
3. What is the Marquise forced to do after she awakes following the attacks?
4. How many children is the Marquise raising?
5. What does the Marquise's father do willingly during the attack?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the story end?
2. How is the Marquise described?
3. Why does the Count want to marry the Marquise, and how does she feel about the idea?
4. What does the Count share about his experiences since he saw the family last?
5. What is surprising about the Count's visit?
6. What kind of life does the Marquise decide to lead after she leaves the family home?
7. What happens soon after the family hears of the Count's death?
8. What happens following the attack?
9. What does the Marquise refuse to do before leaving the house?
10. During dinner with the Marquise and her family, what does the Count tell them about?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)