|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Don's wife react to the news of her son?
(a) She faints.
(b) She becomes enraged.
(c) She silently weeps away her maternal grief.
(d) She attacks other survivors.
2. Who is Don Fernando?
(a) The priest.
(b) A traveling salesman.
(c) The leader of the group.
(d) An old man.
3. What did Josefa pray for after the earthquake?
(a) Jerónimo's soul.
(b) Her baby's soul.
4. After the earthquake, where do Jerónimo's legs carry him?
(a) In the same direction that the other survivors are going.
(b) Towards the sun's rays.
(c) Wherever a woman's dress flaps in the wind.
(d) To an old meeting place.
5. What is the name of Don Fernando's wife?
(a) Donna Elvira.
(b) Donna Natalia.
(c) Donna Adriana.
(d) Donna Ria.
6. Who lives at the place where Jerónimo and Josefa plan to go?
(a) Josefa's sister.
(b) Jerónimo's uncle.
(c) Jerónimo's brother and nephew.
(d) A close friend of Josefa's.
7. What kind of tree does the young family rest against on the night of the earthquake?
(a) An apple tree.
(b) A lemon tree.
(c) A pear tree.
(d) A pomegranate tree.
8. Where is this event taking place?
(a) In the city.
(b) On the beach.
(c) In the woods.
(d) In the next city over.
9. What does the priest blame the earthquake on?
(a) The moral depravity of the town.
(b) The Lord's mysterious ways.
(c) Those who do not practice religion.
(d) God testing them.
10. What happened to the convent where the baby was being cared for?
(a) It was looted.
(b) Nothing happened to it.
(c) It caught on fire.
(d) It collapsed immediately.
11. What does the priest make sure to point out?
(a) Jerónimo's and Josefa's circumstances.
(b) The importance of remembering the earthquake.
(c) Those who perished.
(d) His own survival and the survival of the church.
12. Where do they plan on going after the tremors stop?
(b) La Serena.
13. What were people doing when Jerónimo and Josefa awoke the morning after the earthquake?
(a) Planning a trip across the lake.
(b) Preparing breakfast.
(c) Gossiping about the young lovers.
(d) Tallying up the deceased.
14. What does Jerónimo do when he awakens after the earthquake?
(a) He looks for some water.
(b) He cleans himself off.
(c) He thanks God for his salvation.
(d) He tends to his injuries.
15. What was the capital of this country at this time?
(c) Punta Arenas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jerónimo about to do when the story begins?
2. Where does the earthquake take place?
3. Why was Josefa put in jail?
4. What does the crowd try to do after the man makes his announcement?
5. What reminds Jerónimo of Josefa after the earthquake?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)