|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Don Fernando?
(a) The leader of the group.
(b) An old man.
(c) The priest.
(d) A traveling salesman.
2. What does the priest make sure to point out?
(a) Those who perished.
(b) His own survival and the survival of the church.
(c) The importance of remembering the earthquake.
(d) Jerónimo's and Josefa's circumstances.
3. What had Josefa done after the earthquake?
(a) Josefa ran to the prison.
(b) Josefa collected supplies.
(c) Josefa ran to her parents' home.
(d) Josefa looked for her baby.
4. What reminds Jerónimo of Josefa after the earthquake?
(a) The ring on his finger.
(b) A cloud shaped like Josefa.
(c) A beautiful young woman who is dead on the street.
(d) The smell of lavender.
5. Where does Jerónimo collapse after the earthquake?
(a) In the convent.
(b) On a hillside.
(c) By a river.
(d) In the arms of a stranger.
6. What is the name of Don Fernando's wife?
(a) Donna Adriana.
(b) Donna Ria.
(c) Donna Natalia.
(d) Donna Elvira.
7. What were priests running through the streets yelling?
(a) That the end of the world had come.
(b) That the devil was near.
(c) That salvation was possible.
(d) That God was angry.
8. What happens to Don's baby?
(a) It is killed.
(b) It is stricken ill.
(c) It is beaten.
(d) It is taken away.
9. What was the capital of this country at this time?
(a) Punta Arenas.
10. How does the father of another baby describe the earthquake?
(a) "...the moment the earth was angry."
(b) "...the unforgettable force."
(c) "...devil's anger."
(d) "...that hour which made us all unhappy."
11. What does the group decide to attend?
(a) A previously-scheduled public performance.
(b) A church service.
(c) A town meeting.
(d) A group hunt.
12. What happens after Josefa helps the father?
(a) The father weeps.
(b) The survivors give blankets and medicine to the young couple.
(c) Josefa and Jerónimo are accepted into the group of survivors.
(d) The father gives Josefa food.
13. Why was Jerónimo fired from his job?
(a) He was rude to his boss.
(b) He was having a relationship with the boss's daughter.
(c) He stole from his boss.
(d) He was always late and never did his work properly.
14. Why do they want to go to this place after securing a loan?
(a) Jerónimo's relatives on his mother's side live there.
(b) Jerónimo has friends who live there.
(c) Josefa's aunt lives there.
(d) Josefa believes they will find peace there.
15. Where is Don Fernando's wife injured?
(a) Her stomach.
(b) Her neck.
(c) Her pelvis.
(d) Her feet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Jerónimo when the story begins?
2. What does Don ask the naval officer for?
3. How does the earthquake help Jerónimo?
4. How long is Jerónimo unconscious?
5. What does the priest blame the earthquake on?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)