|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Jerónimo fired from his job?
(a) He was always late and never did his work properly.
(b) He stole from his boss.
(c) He was rude to his boss.
(d) He was having a relationship with the boss's daughter.
2. What did Josefa pray for after the earthquake?
(b) Jerónimo's soul.
(c) Her baby's soul.
3. What were people doing when Jerónimo and Josefa awoke the morning after the earthquake?
(a) Tallying up the deceased.
(b) Planning a trip across the lake.
(c) Gossiping about the young lovers.
(d) Preparing breakfast.
4. What was the capital of this country at this time?
(c) Punta Arenas.
5. Where does Jerónimo find Josefa?
(a) Sitting peacefully on a hillside.
(b) Amongst the rubble.
(c) Near a stream.
(d) At the church.
6. Where does Josefa live?
(a) At a convent.
(b) In a large mansion.
(c) In a simple hut.
(d) In a nearby village.
7. What does Jerónimo ask the crowds of people escaping the city?
(a) If Josefa was executed.
(b) If Josefa is with her mother.
(c) If Josefa is looking for him.
(d) If they have seen Josefa.
8. What is the name of Jerónimo's and Josefa's baby?
9. Who do Jerónimo and Josefa rest with after the earthquake?
(a) Josefa's brother's family.
(b) A clergyman and some nuns.
(c) One family who also have a baby.
(d) A group of people who also escaped the city.
10. What is the name of the river which "rolled toward" Jerónimo?
(a) Calbuco River.
(b) Renegado River.
(c) Mapocho River.
(d) Dillo River.
11. What is Jerónimo's last name?
12. What does the crowd do to Jerónimo and Josefa in the end?
(a) They banish them.
(b) They kill them.
(c) They injure them.
(d) They kidnap them.
13. Where did Josefa go after the earthquake?
(a) The lake.
(b) To the field.
(c) A hill.
(d) The woods.
14. What does the priest blame the earthquake on?
(a) Those who do not practice religion.
(b) God testing them.
(c) The Lord's mysterious ways.
(d) The moral depravity of the town.
15. What do people believe of Josefa's fate?
(a) They believe she is never to be found.
(b) They believe she is injured.
(c) They believe she is dead.
(d) They believe she is alive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Don ask the naval officer for?
2. How does Don's wife react to the news of her son?
3. In what year does the earthquake in the story take place?
4. What reminds Jerónimo of Josefa after the earthquake?
5. Where do they plan on going after the tremors stop?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)