|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nationality was the author of "Marquise of O-"?
2. What does the Marquise's mother give the Marquise after her examination?
(a) Some money.
(b) Some luggage to fill with her belongings.
(c) A letter from her father.
(d) A hug.
3. What does the Marquise's father ask Count F after the attacks?
(a) He asks for the names of the men who attacked the Marquise.
(b) He asks about Count F's background and family.
(c) He asks for help with rebuilding his home.
(d) He asks for the name of the Count's commanding officer.
4. Why does the Marquise call for a doctor?
(a) Because her abdomen begins to swell.
(b) She has a mysterious rash on her arms and legs.
(c) Because she has trouble breathing.
(d) Because her feet ache.
5. What does the Marquise's family hear about the Count as they try to decide how to thank him?
(a) That he has been killed in battle.
(b) That he is at a nearby estate, injured.
(c) That he was resonsible for the Marquise's attack.
(d) That is a famous womanizer.
6. Why does the Marquise not believe the doctor when he says she is pregnant?
(a) The doctor has been wrong before.
(b) She does not have the symptoms of a pregnancy.
(c) She does not remember having relations with a man.
(d) She is barren.
7. What does the Count tell the family about during dinner?
(a) His experiences during the war.
(b) His experiences during his recovery.
(c) His childhood.
(d) An old friend who he plans to visit.
8. How does the family react when the Count arrives at their home?
(a) They are confused.
(b) They are relieved.
(c) They are indifferent.
(d) They are distraught.
9. After hearing the news of the Count, what does the Marquise start to feel?
(b) A restlessness that fails to cease.
(c) Giddiness and nausea.
(d) Severe pain in her side.
10. Who is the author of "The Marquise of O-"?
(a) Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
(b) Hermann Hesse.
(c) Friedrich Nietzsche.
(d) Heinrich von Kleist.
11. What does the Marquise request when she writes to her parents?
(a) The Marquise requests that her parents never try to contact her again.
(b) The Marquise requests that her children be allowed to visit their grandfather on occasion.
(c) The Marquise requests that her belongings be sent to her.
(d) The Marquise requests that the father of the baby be sent to the house in V**.
12. What happens to the Marquise during the attack?
(a) An enemy soldier tries to take her prisoner.
(b) The Marquise is stabbed.
(c) The Marquise is used as a shield.
(d) Soldiers of the attacking country try to rape her.
13. According to the Count, what is the Marquise more of than the rest of them?
(a) She is more beautiful than the rest of them.
(b) She is more friendly than the rest of them.
(c) She is more desperate than the rest of them.
(d) She is a more moral person than the rest of them.
14. How does the Count shock the Marquise's brother?
(a) By telling him that he is married.
(b) By telling him that he is dying.
(c) By telling him that he still intends to marry the Marquise.
(d) By telling him that he is a father.
15. Why does the Marquise pack up her belongings, as well as her children's things?
(a) She wishes to run her own household.
(b) She believes her father wants to kill her.
(c) Her cousin in the next town is in need of care.
(d) She feels shame in front of her parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Count see a vision of?
2. What day is the baby's father supposed to arrive?
3. What does the Marquise do after Count F saves her?
4. Why do the Marquise and her children move in with her parents?
5. What place is the Marquise's father ordered to defend?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)