|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Marquise's given name?
2. What did the vision remind the Count of?
(a) His mother's final words.
(b) His first love.
(d) A swan he knew as a child.
3. What does the Marquise's mother give the Marquise after her examination?
(a) Some money.
(b) A letter from her father.
(c) A hug.
(d) Some luggage to fill with her belongings.
4. What does the Marquise's father reach for as she pleads her case?
(a) A match.
(b) A pistol.
(c) A newspaper.
(d) A letter opener.
5. How do the Count and the Marquise live until after the baby is born?
(a) They live together in the country.
(b) In separate houses.
(c) The Count is stationed hours away and the Marquise stays with her parents.
(d) They live together at the Marquise's parents' house.
6. What country does the Marquise live in?
7. How does the Marquise react to the news about the Count?
(a) She is disappointed.
(b) She is distraught.
(c) She is indifferent.
(d) She is amused.
8. What does the Count tell the family about during dinner?
(a) An old friend who he plans to visit.
(b) His experiences during the war.
(c) His experiences during his recovery.
(d) His childhood.
9. According to the Count, what is the Marquise more of than the rest of them?
(a) She is more desperate than the rest of them.
(b) She is more friendly than the rest of them.
(c) She is a more moral person than the rest of them.
(d) She is more beautiful than the rest of them.
10. How does "The Marquise of O-" conclude?
(a) The Count dies in combat and the Marquise moves in with her parents.
(b) The Marquise and the Count get married a second time and live happily.
(c) The Count and the Marquise are unable to get along and part ways quietly.
(d) The Marquise becomes sick and abandons her children as she flees to the country.
11. What country is Count F from?
12. After hearing the news of the Count, what does the Marquise start to feel?
(a) Giddiness and nausea.
(c) Severe pain in her side.
(d) A restlessness that fails to cease.
13. What does the Marquise's mother do without her husband's permission?
(a) She meets up with the Count.
(b) She sends a letter to the Marquise.
(c) She sends money to her daughter.
(d) She visits her daughter.
14. Why does the Marquise pack up her belongings, as well as her children's things?
(a) Her cousin in the next town is in need of care.
(b) She believes her father wants to kill her.
(c) She feels shame in front of her parents.
(d) She wishes to run her own household.
15. Why does the Count want to marry the Marquise?
(a) To produce an heir to his fortune.
(b) To pacify his soul.
(c) To deal with his loneliness.
(d) To get a hold of her fortune.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the family try to persuade the Count to stay at the house?
2. Why does the Marquise call for a doctor?
3. What is the Marquise forced to do after she awakes following the attacks?
4. What does the Marquise's mother claim she will do if the Marquise's father does not forgive his daughter?
5. What does the family decide to do while the Count is away on his trip?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)