|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the family decide to do while the Count is away on his trip?
(a) Go on a trip themselves.
(b) Remodel the house.
(c) Make inquiries into his background.
(d) Marry off the Marquise.
2. What place is the Marquise's father ordered to defend?
(a) The citadel.
(b) The tower.
(c) The bridge.
(d) The government residence.
3. How does the Count locate the Marquise?
(a) He bribes the porter.
(b) He sneaks into the backyard.
(c) He waits until the Marquise goes for a walk.
(d) He breaks down the door.
4. Why does the Marquise call for a doctor?
(a) Because her feet ache.
(b) Because her abdomen begins to swell.
(c) She has a mysterious rash on her arms and legs.
(d) Because she has trouble breathing.
5. How does the Count react after seeing the newspaper article?
6. What does the Marquise's brother tell her as she is leaving the house?
(a) That she is a good person.
(b) That she will never be forgiven.
(c) That she must leave the children behind.
(d) That she is no longer welcome at the family home.
7. Where is the Count headed when he stops at the Marquise's home?
8. While the Count is away on his trip, what does the Marquise begin to suffer from?
(a) Fits of rage.
(c) Her usual sickness.
9. Why does the Marquise not believe the doctor when he says she is pregnant?
(a) The doctor has been wrong before.
(b) She does not remember having relations with a man.
(c) She does not have the symptoms of a pregnancy.
(d) She is barren.
10. What is the ad about which the Marquise puts in the paper?
(a) The ad is a public apology to the Marquise's father.
(b) The ad is asking for the father of her unborn baby to come forward.
(c) The ad is an admission of the Marquise's affair.
(d) The ad is seeking household staff.
11. How does "The Marquise of O-" conclude?
(a) The Count and the Marquise are unable to get along and part ways quietly.
(b) The Marquise and the Count get married a second time and live happily.
(c) The Marquise becomes sick and abandons her children as she flees to the country.
(d) The Count dies in combat and the Marquise moves in with her parents.
12. How does the family react when the Count arrives at their home?
(a) They are relieved.
(b) They are distraught.
(c) They are confused.
(d) They are indifferent.
13. How do the Count and the Marquise live until after the baby is born?
(a) In separate houses.
(b) They live together at the Marquise's parents' house.
(c) They live together in the country.
(d) The Count is stationed hours away and the Marquise stays with her parents.
14. What nationality was the author of "Marquise of O-"?
15. Why does the Count want to marry the Marquise?
(a) To get a hold of her fortune.
(b) To pacify his soul.
(c) To produce an heir to his fortune.
(d) To deal with his loneliness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country attacks the Marquise's country?
2. What does the Marquise wish to do when she wakes up after the attacks?
3. What did the vision remind the Count of?
4. What does the Marquise's mother try to get the Marquise to guess?
5. What does the Marquise's family hear about the Count as they try to decide how to thank him?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)