|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sellers say the religious movement in the 19th century originated?
2. What kind of eschatology did Jonathan Edwards and Samuel Hopkins preach?
3. How did Biddle ultimately make sure the Federal Bank would die, in Sellers's account?
4. On what grounds were people opposed to public schools?
5. How did internal trade change between 1820 and 1850?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Andrew Jackson's relationship with the Federal Bank?
2. What does Sellers say about the effects of the railroad on American culture?
3. What happened with the "Tariff of Abominations"?
4. What coalition formed to bring Jackson into power?
5. What balance does Sellers describe the country having struck during Jackson's administration?
6. Describe the beginning of the public school movement.
7. What was the states' rights issue in Georgia, and how was it resolved?
8. What was the result of the abolition of the Federal Bank?
9. What was Jackson's plan for bringing stability to the economy?
10. How were the reform movements applied across the classes? Were they applied to all classes equally?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of history is The Market Revolution? What are the rules for this kind of history, and how does it differ from other kinds of history? Describe Sellers's temperament and values as a historian.
Essay Topic 2
Where would you fall on the political spectrum during the market revolution? Whose policies would you have supported, and why, and how would you have mitigated the consequences of those policies? How would you have tried to create a different outcome?
Essay Topic 3
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)