|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to John Calhoun when Andrew Jackson formed his cabinet?
2. How does Sellers define Waldo Emerson's transcendentalism?
3. What did the Moderate Light churches begin to focus on, according to Sellers?
4. Which of these was NOT a problem Andrew Jackson saw in the National Bank?
5. How did internal trade change between 1820 and 1850?
Short Essay Questions
1. What coalition formed to bring Jackson into power?
2. How did the Republican party change after the "democratic thrashing" in 1828?
3. How did a particular movement ignite the mass democratic sentiment in 1828, according to Sellers?
4. What were the main parties reforming American religion, in Sellers's account?
5. What steps did Bank Chairman Biddle take to prevail against Andrew Jackson?
6. What happened with the "Tariff of Abominations"?
7. What balance does Sellers describe the country having struck during Jackson's administration?
8. What was Jackson's plan for bringing stability to the economy?
9. Describe the beginning of the public school movement.
10. What does Sellers say about the effects of the railroad on American culture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trace three places in Sellers's book where events during the market revolution of the early 1800s parallel current events. How do the parallels play out? Where are the differences?
Essay Topic 2
How would this book be different if it were told from a woman's perspective or with a focus on women's issues? What is missing from Sellers's account of the market revolution in terms of women's issues?
Essay Topic 3
Assess Karl Marx's statement that religion is the opium of the masses against Sellers's history of the development of American capitalism. Does Sellers endorse this view? Does he qualify it?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)