|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What avenue did the Moderate Light use for pushing its agenda?
2. What does Sellers say Mormonism resulted from?
3. Where does Sellers say the religious movement in the 19th century originated?
4. How did Biddle ultimately make sure the Federal Bank would die, in Sellers's account?
5. What was the purpose of Biddle's action?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conflict arose for labor in the North?
2. What forces took sides around slavery?
3. Describe the formation of Jackson's cabinet.
4. What was Andrew Jackson's relationship with the Federal Bank?
5. What happened with the "Tariff of Abominations"?
6. What was Jonathan Edwards's role in the reformation of Christianity in America?
7. What steps did Bank Chairman Biddle take to prevail against Andrew Jackson?
8. What were women's roles in the religious transformation of American culture?
9. How did the Republican party change after the "democratic thrashing" in 1828?
10. What does Sellers say was a factor that exacerbated male sexuality in the 1820s and 30s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where would you fall on the political spectrum during the market revolution? Whose policies would you have supported, and why, and how would you have mitigated the consequences of those policies? How would you have tried to create a different outcome?
Essay Topic 2
Argue for or against the statement that times were better in the 1830s than they are now. Support your argument with specific instances from the book and also from the present moment.
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate the value of a central federal bank, as evidenced by the events Sellers describes in The Market Revolution. What are the advantages and disadvantages? Would you argue in favor of or against a Federal Bank?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)