|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the purpose of Biddle's action?
2. What happened that workers began to unionize in the north?
3. What is the only way to cope the with economic stress of the market, according to Sellers?
4. How did Andrew Jackson change his stance with regard to the Indian removal issue in Georgia?
5. How did the changes in the public school system affect American culture?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sellers's argument about the role of sex in capitalism?
2. What conflict arose for labor in the North?
3. What coalition formed to bring Jackson into power?
4. What was the states' rights issue in Georgia, and how was it resolved?
5. What does Sellers say caused the religious transformation of the early 1800s in America?
6. How did the Republican party change after the "democratic thrashing" in 1828?
7. What forces took sides around slavery?
8. What steps did Bank Chairman Biddle take to prevail against Andrew Jackson?
9. What were women's roles in the religious transformation of American culture?
10. What happened with the "Tariff of Abominations"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Map today's political parties to the political parties in place in 1828 or in 1846, as the Whigs emerge from the ruins of the Republican party. What factions are still in the same party? What factions are new or have split or show new loyalties?
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
Assess the value of the proposition that because Sellers's account largely ignores women's issues, the history is untrustworthy.
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)