|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Andrew Jackson nominated for President?
2. How did consumerism change as a result of the financial crash?
3. Which interests did the Speaker of the House want to strength?
4. Who brought Thomas Jefferson to power?
5. What led to the expansion of trade routes, according to Sellers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was James Monroe's role in the development of American capitalism?
2. How did Andrew Jackson go about campaigning in the election of 1824, according to Sellers?
3. Describe the Missouri Compromise.
4. What was Martin Van Buren's importance in opposing the Republican party?
5. What was Henry Clay's role in the development of American capitalism?
6. What was John Calhoun's role in the development of American capitalism?
7. What were conditions like at the beginning of the period Sellers covers?
8. What came out of the period Sellers covers?
9. What happened when Andrew Jackson intervened against Spanish Florida?
10. What happened to debtors when the economy crashed, in Sellers's account?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argue for or against the statement that times were better in the 1830s than they are now. Support your argument with specific instances from the book and also from the present moment.
Essay Topic 2
How would this book be different if it were told from a woman's perspective or with a focus on women's issues? What is missing from Sellers's account of the market revolution in terms of women's issues?
Essay Topic 3
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)