|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the liberal capitalist morality like, which Sellers says was offended?
2. How many votes did Andrew Jackson win the runoff by?
3. How does Sellers characterize the ethic Jackson got from his family?
4. Whom did Andrew Jackson oppose in battle?
5. Why was Andrew Jackson censured under John Quincy Adams?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the outcome of the election of 1824.
2. How did elites create a favorable environment for themselves, in Sellers's account?
3. Who supported Thomas Jefferson's rise to power?
4. How did Andrew Jackson go about campaigning in the election of 1824, according to Sellers?
5. Describe the Missouri Compromise.
6. What does Sellers say about the spread of religion after the collapse of the market?
7. How did American politics change as a result of the economic crash?
8. What was the democratic stance on the money supply, as the Democrats started to come into opposition to the Republicans?
9. What was John Calhoun's role in the development of American capitalism?
10. What was the result of America's expansion, in Sellers's account?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Assess the value of the proposition that because Sellers's account largely ignores women's issues, the history is untrustworthy.
Essay Topic 2
Where would you fall on the political spectrum during the market revolution? Whose policies would you have supported, and why, and how would you have mitigated the consequences of those policies? How would you have tried to create a different outcome?
Essay Topic 3
Trace three places in Sellers's book where events during the market revolution of the early 1800s parallel current events. How do the parallels play out? Where are the differences?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)