|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what case was expansionism restrained?
2. What was John Taylor an advocate of?
3. What prevented Andrew Jackson's censure?
4. What does Sellers say the growth of American wealth resulted in?
5. How did liberal Democrats view Republican use of paper currency?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where else beside New York did democratic opposition to Republicans succeed?
2. What was the difference between Thomas Jefferson and James Madison?
3. What historical developments disturbed the equality between Madisonian and Jeffersonian forces?
4. What happened when Andrew Jackson intervened against Spanish Florida?
5. Describe the Missouri Compromise.
6. What happened to debtors when the economy crashed, in Sellers's account?
7. Describe the outcome of the election of 1824.
8. How did elites create a favorable environment for themselves, in Sellers's account?
9. What was the democratic stance on the money supply, as the Democrats started to come into opposition to the Republicans?
10. What came out of the period Sellers covers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the contributions that came from states-rights factions during the market revolution. Did they make America a better place, or did they enslave it to entrenched local powers and unethical traditions like slavery?
Essay Topic 2
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence?
Essay Topic 3
Argue for or against the statement that times were better in the 1830s than they are now. Support your argument with specific instances from the book and also from the present moment.
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)