|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which interests did the Speaker of the House want to strength?
2. What aspect of slavery offended liberal capitalist bourgeois morality, in Sellers' account?
3. What does Sellers say the Northern interests pushed for?
4. How does Sellers say James Monroe responded to the expansionism in his government?
5. Who became Speaker of the House under James Monroe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the result of America's expansion, in Sellers's account?
2. Where else beside New York did democratic opposition to Republicans succeed?
3. What does Sellers say about the spread of religion after the collapse of the market?
4. Describe the Missouri Compromise.
5. How did Andrew Jackson go about campaigning in the election of 1824, according to Sellers?
6. What role did religion play in the transformation of American culture, in Sellers's account?
7. What was the vision toward which new Democrats wanted to take the country?
8. What historical developments disturbed the equality between Madisonian and Jeffersonian forces?
9. What was Henry Clay's role in the development of American capitalism?
10. What was slavery's role in the development of democratic American capitalism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where would you fall on the political spectrum during the market revolution? Whose policies would you have supported, and why, and how would you have mitigated the consequences of those policies? How would you have tried to create a different outcome?
Essay Topic 2
Argue for or against the statement that times were better in the 1830s than they are now. Support your argument with specific instances from the book and also from the present moment.
Essay Topic 3
What were the southern arguments for preserving slavery? In what issues are these arguments still echoing today?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)