|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Jackson's belief about markets?
(a) They needed a strong central bank.
(b) They needed heavy regulation by the government.
(c) They tended to increase class inequality.
(d) They would regulate themselves.
2. What does Sellers say happened when northern manufacturers wanted to restrict imports with tariffs?
(a) The nation began to knit together.
(b) The religious reforms lost steam.
(c) Anarchic forces became more powerful.
(d) The national economy began to fracture.
3. What philosophy informs Sellers's chapter on the Second Great Awakening?
(a) Historical view of religion as an institution among institutions.
(b) Nietzsche an concept of morality as the product of class interest.
(c) Philosophical view of religion as meaning-making.
(d) Marxist concept of religion as a reaction to social trends.
4. What did the antinomians believe in?
(a) Received Christianity.
(b) Suppressing enthusiastic displays.
(c) Radical conversion experiences.
(d) Strict religious practice.
5. Who was Biddle?
(a) Republican Whip.
(b) Chairman of the Federal Bank.
(c) Speaker of the House.
(d) Secretary of Defense.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sellers contrast with the Unitarian movement?
2. What does Sellers say Mormonism resulted from?
3. What was making the problem of male sexual liberation more difficult, in Sellers's account?
4. What did the Great Awakening move away from, according to Sellers?
5. Where does Sellers situate Jonathan Edwards and Samuel Hopkins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sellers say was a factor that exacerbated male sexuality in the 1820s and 30s?
2. How were the reform movements applied across the classes? Were they applied to all classes equally?
3. How did a particular movement ignite the mass democratic sentiment in 1828, according to Sellers?
4. What balance does Sellers describe the country having struck during Jackson's administration?
5. What role does Sellers say racism played in the development of capitalism in the first half of the 19th century?
6. What did the Second Great Awakening reform in addition to sex?
7. What was the states' rights issue in Georgia, and how was it resolved?
8. What does Sellers say caused the religious transformation of the early 1800s in America?
9. What was Andrew Jackson's relationship with the Federal Bank?
10. How did the Republican party change after the "democratic thrashing" in 1828?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)