|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the desire of Northern manufacturers to restrict imports affect Southern planters?
(a) Raised the cost of labor for cotton processing.
(b) Raised production cotton costs.
(c) Lowered cotton production costs.
(d) Raised the cost of cotton distribution.
2. Who was Biddle?
(a) Republican Whip.
(b) Speaker of the House.
(c) Secretary of Defense.
(d) Chairman of the Federal Bank.
3. What was the cause that created regional tensions Jackson and Martin Van Buren had to quell?
(a) The Tariff of Abominations.
(c) Ending the international slave trade.
(d) Whiskey rebellion.
4. What is the only way to cope the with economic stress of the market, according to Sellers?
(a) Invent labor-saving devices to allow more free time.
(b) Return to a pastoral place as often as possible.
(c) Invest in the companies that make capitalism work for you.
(d) Internalize unhealthy coping mechanisms.
5. What were Unitarian elites trying to combine with the modern American capitalist economy?
(a) Romantic sentiment.
(b) Russian totalitarianism.
(d) European socialism.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did pre-marital sex have to be restricted?
2. What theory of Sellers's is expounded in Chapter 8, Ethos vs. Eros?
3. What avenue did the Moderate Light use for pushing its agenda?
4. What did the Great Awakening move away from, according to Sellers?
5. Who does Sellers say found New Light theology too radical?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sellers's argument about the role of sex in capitalism?
2. What were women's roles in the religious transformation of American culture?
3. What role does Sellers say racism played in the development of capitalism in the first half of the 19th century?
4. What happened with the "Tariff of Abominations"?
5. What steps did Bank Chairman Biddle take to prevail against Andrew Jackson?
6. What was Jonathan Edwards's role in the reformation of Christianity in America?
7. What was Andrew Jackson's relationship with the Federal Bank?
8. What did the Second Great Awakening reform in addition to sex?
9. Describe the formation of Jackson's cabinet.
10. What were the main parties reforming American religion, in Sellers's account?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)