|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did new organizations try to do as they arose during the 1830s, in Sellers's account?
(a) Expand into new territories before the federal government established rule of law there.
(b) Resolve the contradiction between democracy and capitalism.
(c) Distinguish between nationalists and merchants.
(d) Profit from the gap between democracy and capitalism.
2. What did South Carolina's stance threaten, in Jackson's eyes?
(a) The army.
(b) Peace west of the Appalachians.
(c) Trade with England.
(d) The Union.
3. Who followed Andrew Jackson as President?
(a) Martin Van Buren.
(c) John Calhoun.
(d) Henry Clay.
4. What step did the Treasury Department take after the economy started to react to the abolition of the Federal Bank?
(a) Subsidized westward expansion.
(b) Controlled the money supply.
(c) Raised tariffs.
(d) Borrowed money from Amsterdam.
5. What group did northern capitalists exploit, in Sellers's account?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sellers say found New Light theology too radical?
2. When did zeal for reform reach the lower classes, in Sellers's account?
3. What was the cause that created regional tensions Jackson and Martin Van Buren had to quell?
4. Where does Sellers situate Jonathan Edwards and Samuel Hopkins?
5. What was the result of increasing demands on northern manufacturers, according to Sellers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were women's roles in the religious transformation of American culture?
2. What forces took sides around slavery?
3. How were the reform movements applied across the classes? Were they applied to all classes equally?
4. What steps did Bank Chairman Biddle take to prevail against Andrew Jackson?
5. Describe the beginning of the public school movement.
6. Describe the formation of Jackson's cabinet.
7. What does Sellers say about the effects of the railroad on American culture?
8. What were the main parties reforming American religion, in Sellers's account?
9. What happened with the "Tariff of Abominations"?
10. What was the result of the abolition of the Federal Bank?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)