|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13, The Great Contradiction.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did new organizations try to do as they arose during the 1830s, in Sellers's account?
(a) Resolve the contradiction between democracy and capitalism.
(b) Distinguish between nationalists and merchants.
(c) Expand into new territories before the federal government established rule of law there.
(d) Profit from the gap between democracy and capitalism.
2. What does Sellers attribute Jackson's rise to?
(d) Economic disaffection.
3. How long did the order that came out of the Jacksonian era last, according to Sellers?
(a) Until the present.
(b) Until the Civil War.
(c) Until the Great War.
(d) Until World War II.
4. Where did reformers look for a model of how society could be?
(a) Government structures from England.
(b) Utopian theories.
(c) New forms of radical democratic institutions.
(d) The institutions that were formed in the French Revolution.
5. On what grounds were people opposed to public schools?
(c) Discrimination against females.
(d) Racist discrimination.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was James Madison's effect on Thomas Jefferson's pro-land positions?
2. What force does Sellers say created political pressure from the South?
3. What did the Speaker of the House under James Monroe advocate?
4. What did Polk institute in his presidency?
5. What theory of Sellers's is expounded in Chapter 8, Ethos vs. Eros?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)