|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What English custom does Anna teach Nur?
2. What talent does Mabrouka have?
3. What puzzles Amal about Isabel's experience at the shrine?
4. What is "'Al-Mar'ah al-Jadidah?"
5. Which character does Isabel blame for putting the missing tapestry in her bag?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sharif's motivation and behavior change by Chapter 29?
2. How does the "Entente cordiale" affect Sharif?
3. How does Cromer react to Anna's decision to marry Sharif?
4. Why does Amal long to be with Anna after the bombing at the Mugama' Building?
5. How does Anna's story affect Amal's future?
6. How does Amal honor her ancestors once her research is complete?
7. Why is 'Omar concerned about Isabel's pregnancy?
8. Why does Anna's wedding take three days to finalize?
9. How does Amal react to Isabel's story about her experience at the shrine?
10. What is the subject of "'Al-Mar'ah al-Jadidah"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the romantic triangle between Jasmine, 'Omar, and Isabel affects each character's development. What alerts 'Omar to the possibility of incest? What emotional and social repercussions may arise from his affair with both women? By the end of the novel, how is Little Sharif's heritage established?
Essay Topic 2
How does prejudice affect the characters in the novel? How does Anna's relationship with Layla and Sharif affect her relationship with other Europeans? How does having an English wife expose Sharif to prejudice? Does prejudice play a role in the lives of the characters living in 1997? If so, how? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Tareq and Amal's relationship. How does Tareq both offend and assist Amal? What expectations does each character have for the future of their relationship? How do politics affect the outcome of their relationship?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)