|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Prince Yusuf Kamal's favorite saying?
2. What incident sparks a bloody shootout between British troops and the fellaheen?
3. Why does Anna wish to leave Egypt in Chapter 17?
4. Which official is al-Wardani accused of murdering?
5. In Chapter 23, where does Sharif fear his father may soon go?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tareq help Amal and the fellaheen in Chapter 26?
2. How does the Zionist movement affect the Egyptian characters in the book?
3. What fear does Sharif have for Nur's future?
4. Why does Anna consider returning to England in Chapter 17?
5. Why does Anna feel her baby is in the balance against the ills of the world?
6. Why does 'Omar refuse to continue his relationship with Isabel in Chapter 22?
7. How does Tareq offer to help Amal in Chapter 21?
8. Why do Anna and Sharif argue in Chapter 22?
9. How does Anna's story affect Amal's future?
10. Why does Amal fear for 'Omar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Anna's marriage to Edward with her marriage to Sharif. Describe the type of relationship each man has with Anna during each marriage, including each couple's communication skills, physical attraction, and emotional support. How much is Anna involved in each man's business affairs?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Egypt's government in the early 20th century with its government in the late 20th century. How did the political climate and subsequent events in the early 20th century affect the political climate and events in the late 20th century? What freedoms were earned in the late 20th century due to the efforts of men like Sharif in the early 20th century?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the effect colonialism had on Egypt in the early 20th century. Which characters in the novel are proponents of colonialism, and why? Which characters are opponents of colonialism, and why? How do Sharif and Anna attempt to end the British occupation and what is the result of their efforts?
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)