|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Sir Charles' views on the occupation of Egypt?
2. Who is Sharif?e
3. Which friend of Amal's is carrying her fifth child in Chapter 8?
4. How does Anna dress on the train to Suez?
5. Where does Jasmine live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationships between Egyptian Christians and Muslims in the early 20th century.
2. How is 'Omar described at the beginning of the book?
3. Why are the schools and clinic in Tawasi closed in Chapter 11?
4. How does Anna and Sharif's relationship change at St. Catherine's monastery?
5. Describe how Amal and 'Omar became separated from their Egyptian heritage.
6. Why does Isabel bring a trunk to Amal?
7. What happened to Sharif's first marriage?
8. What are Sir Charles' views of colonialism?
9. What fears does Deena have about the Israelis?
10. Why does Anna visit Egypt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the contents of Isabel's trunk affect the lives of those who read her journals? How do Anna's documents clarify both Isabel and Anna's heritage? What questions or problems do Anna's documents raise for Isabel and Anna?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the effect Egypt has on Isabel. How does Egyptian culture and politics affect her character? How does her relationship with Amal affect her attitude towards her Egyptian heritage?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Anna's marriage to Edward with her marriage to Sharif. Describe the type of relationship each man has with Anna during each marriage, including each couple's communication skills, physical attraction, and emotional support. How much is Anna involved in each man's business affairs?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)