|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "An End of a Beginning", what does Isabel find in a drawer as she unpacks?
2. What does Anna decide to do at the end of Chapter 7?
3. How does Anna disguise herself as she travels to the Mameluke tombs?
4. Which character receives a letter from Anna describing her meeting with Layla?
5. Where does Anna sleep when she reaches the Sinai desert?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Sir Charles' views of colonialism?
2. How does Egyptian culture affect Anna?
3. What happened to Sharif's first marriage?
4. How does Anna's appearance contribute to her kidnapping in Chapter 10?
5. How is Amal related to Isabel?
6. How does Anna's appearance change as she travels to Sinai?
7. How does the scenery of Egypt affect Anna?
8. Why does Anna visit Egypt?
9. How are Amal and Isabel similar?
10. Describe how Amal and 'Omar became separated from their Egyptian heritage.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does prejudice affect the characters in the novel? How does Anna's relationship with Layla and Sharif affect her relationship with other Europeans? How does having an English wife expose Sharif to prejudice? Does prejudice play a role in the lives of the characters living in 1997? If so, how? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
How do the contents of Isabel's trunk affect the lives of those who read her journals? How do Anna's documents clarify both Isabel and Anna's heritage? What questions or problems do Anna's documents raise for Isabel and Anna?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the rise of Zionism in the early 20th century and how it affects the characters in the novel. What fears do Sharif and his contemporaries have about the Zionist movement? How does history confirm or negate those fears? How does Zionism affect the distribution of Sharif's descendants, and ultimately, their cultural heritage?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)