|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Anna go to Alexandria in Chapter 6?
2. What does the black column in the ancient church that Anna visits represent?
3. What separates Egyptian women from men in the ballroom?
4. What is torn down to modernize Egypt?
5. What game are Professor Yusuf and Mahgoub al-Tilmisani playing in the Atelier 'am Ghazzali?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Amal and Isabel similar?
2. Why does Anna visit Egypt?
3. What are Sir Charles' views of colonialism?
4. How does Egyptian culture affect Anna?
5. How does the scenery of Egypt affect Anna?
6. What does Anna plan to do once she is released by her abductors?
7. What political goals does Sharif strive towards?
8. What happened to Sharif's first marriage?
9. In the early 20th century, how do the roles of men and women differ in Egypt?
10. How does Anna and Sharif's relationship change at St. Catherine's monastery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the effect colonialism had on Egypt in the early 20th century. Which characters in the novel are proponents of colonialism, and why? Which characters are opponents of colonialism, and why? How do Sharif and Anna attempt to end the British occupation and what is the result of their efforts?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Tareq and Amal's relationship. How does Tareq both offend and assist Amal? What expectations does each character have for the future of their relationship? How do politics affect the outcome of their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the romantic triangle between Jasmine, 'Omar, and Isabel affects each character's development. What alerts 'Omar to the possibility of incest? What emotional and social repercussions may arise from his affair with both women? By the end of the novel, how is Little Sharif's heritage established?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)