|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Sharif's first marriage last?
2. Where is Amal's house located?
3. While on their way to Amal's house, what do Amal and Isabel see that frightens them?
4. What city does Anna visit with Lady Caroline Burke in January of 1900?
5. What would Isabel like to create using Anna's journals?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Amal and 'Omar became separated from their Egyptian heritage.
2. How does Jasmine shock Isabel in Chapter 5?
3. Describe Egypt's government in the early 20th century.
4. How does Anna's appearance change as she travels to Sinai?
5. Describe the relationships between Egyptian Christians and Muslims in the early 20th century.
6. Why does Anna visit Rome in January of 1900?
7. How does Isabel react to the events she experiences on her trip to Tawasi?
8. What request do the women of Tawasi make of Isabel?
9. How does Anna and Sharif's relationship change at St. Catherine's monastery?
10. How does the scenery of Egypt affect Anna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Egyptian culture affect Anna throughout the novel? What adaptations does Anna have to make while traveling through Egypt? How does the religious and political climate of Egypt differ from Anna's traditional British upbringing? What British traditions and customs does Anna have to change when she becomes an Egyptian wife?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Egypt's government in the early 20th century with its government in the late 20th century. How did the political climate and subsequent events in the early 20th century affect the political climate and events in the late 20th century? What freedoms were earned in the late 20th century due to the efforts of men like Sharif in the early 20th century?
Essay Topic 3
How do the contents of Isabel's trunk affect the lives of those who read her journals? How do Anna's documents clarify both Isabel and Anna's heritage? What questions or problems do Anna's documents raise for Isabel and Anna?
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)