|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mu'allaqah mean?
2. While at the Atelier 'am Ghazzali, what empire does Arwa compare to the United States?
(a) The British Empire.
(b) The Ottoman Empire.
(c) The Persian Empire.
(d) The Ancient Roman Empire.
3. Where are Anna's captors sent to sleep?
(a) In the yard.
(b) In a shrine.
(c) In the kitchen.
(d) In the stables.
4. Who is Sharif?e
(a) Layla's husband.
(b) Layla's brother.
(c) Layla's father.
(d) Layla's uncle.
5. Who is Armand Demange?
(a) Head of the Mustafa family.
(b) A Frenchman Anna meets on the train to Suez.
(c) The French identity Anna wants to assume as she travels to Sinai.
(d) A policeman in Cairo.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Edward in Chapter 3?
2. What does the black column in the ancient church that Anna visits represent?
3. How long did Sharif's first marriage last?
4. Why did 'Urabi Basha lead a revolt?
5. Which character helps Anna learn Arabic?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the early 20th century, how do the roles of men and women differ in Egypt?
2. How does Anna and Sharif's relationship change at St. Catherine's monastery?
3. What political goals does Sharif strive towards?
4. What happened to Sharif's first marriage?
5. How are Amal and Isabel similar?
6. How does Tareq offend Amal?
7. How does Anna's appearance change as she travels to Sinai?
8. Why does Isabel bring a trunk to Amal?
9. What request do the women of Tawasi make of Isabel?
10. How does Jasmine shock Isabel in Chapter 5?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)