|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what offense does Diotima accuse Ulrich in Chapter 101?
2. How does Ulrich respond during the demonstrations in Chapter 120?
3. What is Diotima's reaction when Ulrich discusses the relationship between herself and Arnheim in Chapter 101?
4. When Moosbrugger's trial reached the courts, what type of issue did it become?
5. Why doesn't Ulrich get to see Diotima when he goes to visit her in Chapter 121?
Essay Topic 1
Ulrich's destination at the end of the novel is not revealed. Why did the author choose to end the novel this way? How do you, as a reader, feel about this ending, and why? In literary terms, was this ending effective? What point is the author trying to make with this ending?
Essay Topic 2
Nationality is an important concept in this novel. Several characters are identified by their nationality, and all of the characters have a strong sense of patriotic pride. Why is nationality so important? Which characters feel the strongest regarding their nationalities? Would contemporary readers have shared this strong sense of national pride? Is this something that has changed between the time the novel was written and now?
Essay Topic 3
Ulrich has relationships with several women throughout the course of the novel. Some are platonic, but some are not. How does Ulrich view women? How does he interact with them? What generalizations does he make that affect the way he treats them? Does he treat his female friends differently from his male friends?
This section contains 1,408 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)