Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what offense does Diotima accuse Ulrich in Chapter 101?
2. What point of view does the author use in Chapter 119 to relate the thoughts and feelings of Ulrich and Gerda?
3. What is one of the main reasons Walter doesn't trust Ulrich?
4. The people wish that there were a living generation to experience what, according to Chapter 108?
5. How does Gerda learn of Arnheim's ulterior motives in Chapter 119?
Essay Topic 1
The author states that the importance of a book is judged by its sales. Do you agree? What does he mean by a book's "importance"? Does a book have an inherent value that is separate from its economic value? If so, how should that value be measured? Is this situation different now than it was when this book was written?
Essay Topic 2
Ulrich is described by Clarisse in terms of the novel's title. He is the "man without qualities." What does Clarisse mean by this? Why is Ulrich described this way? Is it possible for someone to be completely without qualities? Do you agree with this description of Ulrich?
Essay Topic 3
Ulrich's destination at the end of the novel is not revealed. Why did the author choose to end the novel this way? How do you, as a reader, feel about this ending, and why? In literary terms, was this ending effective? What point is the author trying to make with this ending?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)