Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what offense does Diotima accuse Ulrich in Chapter 101?
2. What point of view does the author use in Chapter 119 to relate the thoughts and feelings of Ulrich and Gerda?
3. What is one of the main reasons Walter doesn't trust Ulrich?
4. The people wish that there were a living generation to experience what, according to Chapter 108?
5. How does Gerda learn of Arnheim's ulterior motives in Chapter 119?
Essay Topic 1
Anti-Semitism is an important concept in this novel. Which of the main characters were at some point affected by anti-Semitism? How did it affect them? How did it change their outlook or their position in life?
Essay Topic 2
The author assumes that readers will be familiar with the Kakanians, and therefore the term is never really explained. From the context, what can you infer about what this term means? Who are the Kakanians? What is the area referred to as Kakania? What is its relationship with Austria?
Essay Topic 3
Arnheim, Ulrich, and others all have different attitudes toward material wealth and what it means. Why is the significance of wealth so subjective? Why do rich and poor have different attitudes toward it? How does Arnheim's attitude toward wealth differ as a result of being born into a family with money, and why? Do you think our attitudes toward wealth in modern society are different from when the book was written?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)