|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Soliman have extra money in Chapter 104?
2. Which individual is not mentioned by Ulrich as one of his long-term friends in Chapter 103?
3. What is the relationship between Ulrich and Diotima?
4. Who expresses concern in Chapter 107, about Arnheim's relationship with Diotima?
5. What is the purpose of the laws regarding children and slaves, according to the information in Chapter 113?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nationality is an important concept in this novel. Several characters are identified by their nationality, and all of the characters have a strong sense of patriotic pride. Why is nationality so important? Which characters feel the strongest regarding their nationalities? Would contemporary readers have shared this strong sense of national pride? Is this something that has changed between the time the novel was written and now?
Essay Topic 2
Diotima and her husband are at the pinnacle of the middle class, but they are still middle class. Why does she still have the privilege of associating with wealthy people like Arnheim? How does her unique position affect her attitude toward those with whom she associates, and why? How is she viewed by other aristocrats who either have more money, or made it by investing or inheriting it, and not by working for a living?
Essay Topic 3
The author assumes that readers will be familiar with the Kakanians, and therefore the term is never really explained. From the context, what can you infer about what this term means? Who are the Kakanians? What is the area referred to as Kakania? What is its relationship with Austria?
This section contains 1,378 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)