|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bonadea feel about her husband?
2. Who expresses concern in Chapter 107, about Arnheim's relationship with Diotima?
3. What two things does the General compare when talking to Ulrich in Chapter 100?
4. How does Diotima's husband feel about the revelations regarding Arnheim in Chapter 116?
5. Why does Soliman have extra money in Chapter 104?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Ulrich encounter in Chapter 122, and how does he respond?
2. What do Ulrich and Arnheim say about Moosbrugger in Chapter 121?
3. What is happening politically in Chapter 120?
4. What is Count Leinsdorf concerned about in Chapter 107?
5. What information is given by the General in Chapter 116?
6. What is revealed about Arnheim in Chapter 116?
7. Who is Bonadea, and what is her history with Ulrich?
8. What do Walter and Clarisse fight about in Chapter 118?
9. What happens between Rachel and Soliman in Chapter 104?
10. What information is presented in Chapter 102 regarding Hans Sepp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author points out the importance of timeliness for success in business. Why is timeliness so crucial to an idea's marketability? How does Arnheim take advantage of this concept in ways that others don't? What happens to great ideas if they don't surface at the proper time, and why? Why is the execution of ideas such a difficult skill, and why do so few people possess it?
Essay Topic 2
Ulrich and Gerda almost have an affair, but because they feel pressured, not because either of them really wants to. What message regarding social pressure is the author trying to convey with this interaction? Who was pressuring Ulrich and Gerda? What initially caused them to want to have an affair? What caused them to change their minds? What ramifications might this affair have had, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Ulrich's destination at the end of the novel is not revealed. Why did the author choose to end the novel this way? How do you, as a reader, feel about this ending, and why? In literary terms, was this ending effective? What point is the author trying to make with this ending?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)