|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What changes about Rachel as a result of her relationship with Soliman in Chapter 104?
2. Why does Ulrich attempt to sleep with Gerda in Chapter 119?
3. What does Arnheim ask Diotima in Chapter 105?
4. Who initiated the affair between Ulrich and Bonadea?
5. What idea does Ulrich have regarding life in Chapter 120?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Walter and Clarisse fight about in Chapter 118?
2. What does the narrator say about children and servants in Chapter 113?
3. Who is Bonadea, and what is her history with Ulrich?
4. What happens to Bonadea in Chapter 115?
5. What is said about the Kakanians in Chapter 108?
6. What happens between Rachel and Soliman in Chapter 104?
7. What does Diotima do with Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 114?
8. What is Count Leinsdorf concerned about in Chapter 107?
9. How do outsiders relate to Moosbrugger, and why are they interested in him, according to the information presented in Chapter 110?
10. What does Gerda do with the information she gains in Chapter 119, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ulrich has relationships with several women throughout the course of the novel. Some are platonic, but some are not. How does Ulrich view women? How does he interact with them? What generalizations does he make that affect the way he treats them? Does he treat his female friends differently from his male friends?
Essay Topic 2
The author states that the importance of a book is judged by its sales. Do you agree? What does he mean by a book's "importance"? Does a book have an inherent value that is separate from its economic value? If so, how should that value be measured? Is this situation different now than it was when this book was written?
Essay Topic 3
Ulrich and General Stumm have several conversations about the subjective value of intellect. Why does General Stumm value intellect so highly? Why does Ulrich feel that he values it too highly? Do you agree? Is there any objective way to determine the value of intellect?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)