|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What societal problem is present in the novel for the first time in Chapter 120?
2. What does Arnheim do for the first time in Chapter 116?
3. What do Ulrich and Arnheim decide regarding Moosbrugger in Chapter 121?
4. What type of person is Ulrich in terms of his relationships?
5. During the protests in Chapter 120, Arnheim is viewed as a representative of what country?
Essay Topic 1
Soliman and Rachel are in a similar position, yet they handle themselves very differently. How do Rachel and Soliman's attitudes toward their employers and their situations differ, and why? How does Soliman influence Rachel? What message is the author trying to convey through these two characters?
Essay Topic 2
Ulrich's destination at the end of the novel is not revealed. Why did the author choose to end the novel this way? How do you, as a reader, feel about this ending, and why? In literary terms, was this ending effective? What point is the author trying to make with this ending?
Essay Topic 3
Ulrich has relationships with several women throughout the course of the novel. Some are platonic, but some are not. How does Ulrich view women? How does he interact with them? What generalizations does he make that affect the way he treats them? Does he treat his female friends differently from his male friends?
This section contains 1,401 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)