|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the protests in Chapter 120, Arnheim is viewed as a representative of what country?
2. Who are the Kakanians?
3. What does Ulrich notice about his own behavior in Chapter 103?
4. What happens between Gerda and Ulrich in Chapter 119?
5. What is the concept of "diminished responsibility," as defined in Chapter 110?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information is given by the General in Chapter 116?
2. What does the narrator say about children and servants in Chapter 113?
3. What idea does Ulrich have at the end of Chapter 120?
4. What is the author trying to demonstrate through Ulrich and Gerda's actions in Chapter 119?
5. What comparison does General Stumm make between libraries and warfare in Chapter 100?
6. What is revealed about Arnheim in Chapter 116?
7. How was Ulrich working against Arnheim, as described in Chapter 112?
8. How do outsiders relate to Moosbrugger, and why are they interested in him, according to the information presented in Chapter 110?
9. What do Diotima and Ulrich discuss in Chapter 101?
10. What concept does Arnheim contemplate in Chapter 106, and how does he feel about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Arnheim, Ulrich, and others all have different attitudes toward material wealth and what it means. Why is the significance of wealth so subjective? Why do rich and poor have different attitudes toward it? How does Arnheim's attitude toward wealth differ as a result of being born into a family with money, and why? Do you think our attitudes toward wealth in modern society are different from when the book was written?
Essay Topic 2
Ulrich has relationships with several women throughout the course of the novel. Some are platonic, but some are not. How does Ulrich view women? How does he interact with them? What generalizations does he make that affect the way he treats them? Does he treat his female friends differently from his male friends?
Essay Topic 3
Ulrich's relationship with Gerda is a strange one. How do they feel about one another? Why have they never been intimate? Why do they feel sometimes as if they ought to be intimate with one another? What happens when they try to take their relationship to that level, and why? How do other people view their relationship with one another?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)