Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what offense does Diotima accuse Ulrich in Chapter 101?
2. What point of view does the author use in Chapter 119 to relate the thoughts and feelings of Ulrich and Gerda?
3. What is one of the main reasons Walter doesn't trust Ulrich?
4. The people wish that there were a living generation to experience what, according to Chapter 108?
5. How does Gerda learn of Arnheim's ulterior motives in Chapter 119?
Diotima and her husband are at the pinnacle of the middle class, but they are still middle class. Why does she still have the privilege of associating with wealthy people like Arnheim? How does her unique position affect her attitude toward those with whom she associates, and why? How is she viewed by other aristocrats who either have more money, or made it by investing or inheriting it, and not by working for a living?
Nationality is an important concept in this novel. Several characters are identified by their nationality, and all of the characters have a strong sense of patriotic pride. Why is nationality so important? Which characters feel the strongest regarding their nationalities? Would contemporary readers have shared this strong sense of national pride? Is this something that has changed between the time the novel was written and now?
Soliman and Rachel are in a similar position, yet they handle themselves very differently. How do Rachel and Soliman's attitudes toward their employers and their situations differ, and why? How does Soliman influence Rachel? What message is the author trying to convey through these two characters?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)