|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is said about Diotima in Chapter 108?
2. What does Arnheim do for the first time in Chapter 116?
3. What country is mentioned with regard to the challenge of keeping diverse forces united in Chapter 116?
4. Who is giving a speech in Chapter 116?
5. What concept is being showcased in Chapter 119?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening politically in Chapter 120?
2. What happens to Bonadea in Chapter 115?
3. Who is Bonadea, and what is her history with Ulrich?
4. What information is presented in Chapter 102 regarding Hans Sepp?
5. What idea does Ulrich have at the end of Chapter 120?
6. What information does Gerda gain in Chapter 119, and how?
7. What changes in Chapter 117 for Rachel?
8. What comparison does General Stumm make between libraries and warfare in Chapter 100?
9. How do outsiders relate to Moosbrugger, and why are they interested in him, according to the information presented in Chapter 110?
10. What do Diotima and Ulrich discuss in Chapter 101?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ulrich's destination at the end of the novel is not revealed. Why did the author choose to end the novel this way? How do you, as a reader, feel about this ending, and why? In literary terms, was this ending effective? What point is the author trying to make with this ending?
Essay Topic 2
The author weighs in on the legal status of children and slaves as property of their parents and owners, respectively. Why were these laws put in place? What purpose were they intended to serve? When do these laws fail, and what is done in those cases? How have these laws changed since the book was written, and why? Do you think the author would approve of these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Ulrich and General Stumm have several conversations about the subjective value of intellect. Why does General Stumm value intellect so highly? Why does Ulrich feel that he values it too highly? Do you agree? Is there any objective way to determine the value of intellect?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)