|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Rachel and Soliman in Chapter 104?
2. Of what offense does Diotima accuse Ulrich in Chapter 101?
3. Why does Gerda decide to tell the person she tells in Chapter 119?
4. What does Arnheim believe about moral and material wealth?
5. What changes about Rachel as a result of her relationship with Soliman in Chapter 104?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Gerda gain in Chapter 119, and how?
2. What is happening politically in Chapter 120?
3. Who does Ulrich encounter in Chapter 122, and how does he respond?
4. What do Walter and Clarisse fight about in Chapter 118?
5. What do Ulrich and Arnheim say about Moosbrugger in Chapter 121?
6. What happens between Ulrich and Gerda in Chapter 119?
7. What happens to Bonadea in Chapter 115?
8. What does Gerda do with the information she gains in Chapter 119, and why?
9. What do Diotima and Ulrich discuss in Chapter 101?
10. What is said about the Kakanians in Chapter 108?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ulrich is described by Clarisse in terms of the novel's title. He is the "man without qualities." What does Clarisse mean by this? Why is Ulrich described this way? Is it possible for someone to be completely without qualities? Do you agree with this description of Ulrich?
Essay Topic 2
The author assumes that readers will be familiar with the Kakanians, and therefore the term is never really explained. From the context, what can you infer about what this term means? Who are the Kakanians? What is the area referred to as Kakania? What is its relationship with Austria?
Essay Topic 3
Ulrich has relationships with several women throughout the course of the novel. Some are platonic, but some are not. How does Ulrich view women? How does he interact with them? What generalizations does he make that affect the way he treats them? Does he treat his female friends differently from his male friends?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)