Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what offense does Diotima accuse Ulrich in Chapter 101?
2. What point of view does the author use in Chapter 119 to relate the thoughts and feelings of Ulrich and Gerda?
3. What is one of the main reasons Walter doesn't trust Ulrich?
4. The people wish that there were a living generation to experience what, according to Chapter 108?
5. How does Gerda learn of Arnheim's ulterior motives in Chapter 119?
Essay Topic 1
Ulrich is described by Clarisse in terms of the novel's title. He is the "man without qualities." What does Clarisse mean by this? Why is Ulrich described this way? Is it possible for someone to be completely without qualities? Do you agree with this description of Ulrich?
Essay Topic 2
Ulrich and General Stumm have several conversations about the subjective value of intellect. Why does General Stumm value intellect so highly? Why does Ulrich feel that he values it too highly? Do you agree? Is there any objective way to determine the value of intellect?
Essay Topic 3
Nationality is an important concept in this novel. Several characters are identified by their nationality, and all of the characters have a strong sense of patriotic pride. Why is nationality so important? Which characters feel the strongest regarding their nationalities? Would contemporary readers have shared this strong sense of national pride? Is this something that has changed between the time the novel was written and now?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)