|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Rachel and Soliman in Chapter 104?
2. What is the relationship between Ulrich and Diotima?
3. What is Rachel's main concern at the end of Chapter 117?
4. Who are the Kakanians?
5. Arnheim is revealed in Chapter 116 to be acting as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comparison does General Stumm make between libraries and warfare in Chapter 100?
2. What does Ulrich realize about himself in Chapter 103?
3. How was Ulrich working against Arnheim, as described in Chapter 112?
4. What happens between Ulrich and Gerda in Chapter 119?
5. Who is Bonadea, and what is her history with Ulrich?
6. What do Ulrich and Arnheim say about Moosbrugger in Chapter 121?
7. What happens between Rachel and Soliman in Chapter 104?
8. What idea does Ulrich have at the end of Chapter 120?
9. What does Gerda do with the information she gains in Chapter 119, and why?
10. What is said about the Kakanians in Chapter 108?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author states that the importance of a book is judged by its sales. Do you agree? What does he mean by a book's "importance"? Does a book have an inherent value that is separate from its economic value? If so, how should that value be measured? Is this situation different now than it was when this book was written?
Essay Topic 2
The author assumes that readers will be familiar with the Kakanians, and therefore the term is never really explained. From the context, what can you infer about what this term means? Who are the Kakanians? What is the area referred to as Kakania? What is its relationship with Austria?
Essay Topic 3
Ulrich's destination at the end of the novel is not revealed. Why did the author choose to end the novel this way? How do you, as a reader, feel about this ending, and why? In literary terms, was this ending effective? What point is the author trying to make with this ending?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)