|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Gerda?
2. How does Ulrich accidentally address the General, in Chapter 85?
3. When did Arnheim do the majority of his traveling?
4. Which ancient philosopher is the topic of Chapter 77?
5. With whom does Soliman fall in love in Chapter 79?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the author's digression in relation to the forces of nature in Chapter 75?
2. What point does the author make in Chapter 88 about the value of books?
3. What information is revealed about Arnheim's family and past in Chapters 89 and 90?
4. What theory does Ulrich develop in Chapter 91?
5. Who is Goethe, and how does Arnheim feel about him as described in Chapter 96?
6. Who is Aunt Jane, and what is her history as outlined in Chapter 99?
7. What does Clarisse do in Chapter 82 that embarrasses Ulrich?
8. Who is Count Leinsdorf, and how is he described in Chapter 76?
9. What is Ulrich's relationship with Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 81?
10. What is revealed about Georg in Chapter 97?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At several points in the novel, the author refers to the relationship between humans and nature, which have a profound impact on one another. What impact does man have on nature? And nature on man? Has this relationship changed, since the novel was written? If so, how? Do you think the author would have had the same attitude if he had lived during our time?
Essay Topic 2
Ulrich and Gerda almost have an affair, but because they feel pressured, not because either of them really wants to. What message regarding social pressure is the author trying to convey with this interaction? Who was pressuring Ulrich and Gerda? What initially caused them to want to have an affair? What caused them to change their minds? What ramifications might this affair have had, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Anti-Semitism is an important concept in this novel. Which of the main characters were at some point affected by anti-Semitism? How did it affect them? How did it change their outlook or their position in life?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)