|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of corporation does Arnheim's family own and run?
2. What relationship is mentioned by the author in Chapter 96?
3. What important concept is introduced in Chapter 99?
4. What is Klementine's reaction to the topic Ulrich introduces in Chapter 73?
5. What is one of the main ideas brought into Diotima's circle of intellectuals in Chapter 89?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ulrich and General Stumm think about intellect, as revealed by their conversation in Chapter 85?
2. Who is Count Leinsdorf, and how is he described in Chapter 76?
3. What point does the author make in Chapter 77, using an ancient Grecian philosopher as an example to back up his argument?
4. What does Clarisse do in Chapter 82 that embarrasses Ulrich?
5. Does Arnheim do what the author thinks would be best for him in Chapter 86?
6. How did Soliman meet Rachel?
7. What theory does Ulrich develop in Chapter 91?
8. What do Ulrich and Gerda's parents talk about in Chapter 73?
9. What situation regarding an invitation develops in Chapter 80?
10. What information is given about Gerda in Chapter 73?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Arnheim, Ulrich, and others all have different attitudes toward material wealth and what it means. Why is the significance of wealth so subjective? Why do rich and poor have different attitudes toward it? How does Arnheim's attitude toward wealth differ as a result of being born into a family with money, and why? Do you think our attitudes toward wealth in modern society are different from when the book was written?
Essay Topic 2
Soliman and Rachel are in a similar position, yet they handle themselves very differently. How do Rachel and Soliman's attitudes toward their employers and their situations differ, and why? How does Soliman influence Rachel? What message is the author trying to convey through these two characters?
Essay Topic 3
Ulrich and Diotima have several discussions regarding personality and its repression. What happens when an individual's personality or parts of it is repressed? Why does Ulrich suppress parts of his personality? What effect has it had on him as a person, and why? Why do he and Diotima have such different views on this topic?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)