|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author in Chapter 92, what belief is commonly held by rich people?
2. What effect does Arnheim's family business have on his relationship with General Stumm in Chapter 89?
3. What artistic movement was often criticized by Diotima's group?
4. According to Arnheim in Chapter 92, what group of people frequently gave him the most trouble?
5. What relationship does Arnheim use as an example to illustrate the importance of the concept he brings up in Chapter 96?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Arnheim do what the author thinks would be best for him in Chapter 86?
2. What does the author say in Chapter 77 about losing one's sense of reality?
3. What point does the author make in Chapter 88 about the value of books?
4. Who is Goethe, and how does Arnheim feel about him as described in Chapter 96?
5. According to the narrator in Chapter 92, why is Arnheim different from many rich people?
6. What is the author's digression in relation to the forces of nature in Chapter 75?
7. What is Diotima's psychological situation in Chapter 94?
8. What does Clarisse do in Chapter 82 that embarrasses Ulrich?
9. What information is revealed about Arnheim's family and past in Chapters 89 and 90?
10. How did Soliman meet Rachel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ulrich has relationships with several women throughout the course of the novel. Some are platonic, but some are not. How does Ulrich view women? How does he interact with them? What generalizations does he make that affect the way he treats them? Does he treat his female friends differently from his male friends?
Essay Topic 2
All of the main characters are involved in politics on some level. What does the Collateral Campaign do? What is its goal? What is the difference between practical and ideological politics? Which is more useful, and why? What are some of the major political issues at hand, and how do the main characters feel about them? What is each character's role in influencing politics on a local and national level?
Essay Topic 3
Ulrich and Diotima have several discussions regarding personality and its repression. What happens when an individual's personality or parts of it is repressed? Why does Ulrich suppress parts of his personality? What effect has it had on him as a person, and why? Why do he and Diotima have such different views on this topic?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)