Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ulrich's relationship with Gerda, as described in Chapter 74?
2. What is discussed regarding Diotima in Chapter 93?
3. Which countries does Diotima specifically dislike?
4. How did Diotima feel when the individual who received the invitation in Chapter 80 arrived at her home?
5. What mistaken idea does Arnheim possess in Chapter 92?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clarisse realize about the "man without qualities" in Chapter 97?
2. What do Ulrich and General Stumm say about Diotima in Chapter 85?
3. Does Arnheim do what the author thinks would be best for him in Chapter 86?
4. What comparison does General Stumm make between libraries and warfare in Chapter 100?
5. How did Moosbrugger plead on the several occasions that he went before the judges as outlined in Chapter 86?
6. What information is given by the General in Chapter 116?
7. What is the status of Diotima and Arnheim's relationship in Chapter 105?
8. What idea does Ulrich have at the end of Chapter 120?
9. What does the author say in Chapter 77 about losing one's sense of reality?
10. What is Ulrich's last encounter with Clarisse in Chapter 123?
Essay Topic 1
Ulrich and Diotima have several discussions regarding personality and its repression. What happens when an individual's personality or parts of it is repressed? Why does Ulrich suppress parts of his personality? What effect has it had on him as a person, and why? Why do he and Diotima have such different views on this topic?
Essay Topic 2
The author points out the importance of timeliness for success in business. Why is timeliness so crucial to an idea's marketability? How does Arnheim take advantage of this concept in ways that others don't? What happens to great ideas if they don't surface at the proper time, and why? Why is the execution of ideas such a difficult skill, and why do so few people possess it?
Essay Topic 3
Soliman and Rachel are in a similar position, yet they handle themselves very differently. How do Rachel and Soliman's attitudes toward their employers and their situations differ, and why? How does Soliman influence Rachel? What message is the author trying to convey through these two characters?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)