|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the general rule stated in Chapter 92, regarding people with ideas?
2. Ulrich urges General Stumm to do what, in Chapter 84?
3. According to the author in Chapter 85, how does Nature create unity?
4. What is Ulrich doing in Chapter 84 as part of his service to the Count?
5. What did Arnheim explain to Diotima in Chapter 76?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Goethe, and how does Arnheim feel about him as described in Chapter 96?
2. Who is Aunt Jane, and what is her history as outlined in Chapter 99?
3. How did Moosbrugger plead on the several occasions that he went before the judges as outlined in Chapter 86?
4. What is the difference in the way rich people and poor people view wealth, according to the narrator's statements in Chapter 92?
5. What was the course of the General's career development as outlined in Chapter 80?
6. What theory does Ulrich develop in Chapter 91?
7. What situation regarding an invitation develops in Chapter 80?
8. What do Ulrich and General Stumm say about Diotima in Chapter 85?
9. What does Clarisse do in Chapter 82 that embarrasses Ulrich?
10. What does Clarisse realize about the "man without qualities" in Chapter 97?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author points out the importance of timeliness for success in business. Why is timeliness so crucial to an idea's marketability? How does Arnheim take advantage of this concept in ways that others don't? What happens to great ideas if they don't surface at the proper time, and why? Why is the execution of ideas such a difficult skill, and why do so few people possess it?
Essay Topic 2
Arnheim, Ulrich, and others all have different attitudes toward material wealth and what it means. Why is the significance of wealth so subjective? Why do rich and poor have different attitudes toward it? How does Arnheim's attitude toward wealth differ as a result of being born into a family with money, and why? Do you think our attitudes toward wealth in modern society are different from when the book was written?
Essay Topic 3
Ulrich and Diotima have several discussions regarding personality and its repression. What happens when an individual's personality or parts of it is repressed? Why does Ulrich suppress parts of his personality? What effect has it had on him as a person, and why? Why do he and Diotima have such different views on this topic?
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)