|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Arnheim do the majority of his traveling?
2. What important concept is introduced in Chapter 99?
3. How is Count Leinsdorf addressed?
4. Who is Count Leinsdorf?
5. How old is Gerda?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Arnheim do what the author thinks would be best for him in Chapter 86?
2. What theory does Ulrich develop in Chapter 91?
3. What information is revealed about Arnheim's family and past in Chapters 89 and 90?
4. What is the difference in the way rich people and poor people view wealth, according to the narrator's statements in Chapter 92?
5. What is revealed about Georg in Chapter 97?
6. What does the author say in Chapter 77 about losing one's sense of reality?
7. What situation regarding an invitation develops in Chapter 80?
8. What point does the author make in Chapter 88 about the value of books?
9. Who is Goethe, and how does Arnheim feel about him as described in Chapter 96?
10. According to the narrator in Chapter 92, why is Arnheim different from many rich people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ulrich's relationship with Gerda is a strange one. How do they feel about one another? Why have they never been intimate? Why do they feel sometimes as if they ought to be intimate with one another? What happens when they try to take their relationship to that level, and why? How do other people view their relationship with one another?
Essay Topic 2
The author states that the importance of a book is judged by its sales. Do you agree? What does he mean by a book's "importance"? Does a book have an inherent value that is separate from its economic value? If so, how should that value be measured? Is this situation different now than it was when this book was written?
Essay Topic 3
Ulrich and Diotima have several discussions regarding personality and its repression. What happens when an individual's personality or parts of it is repressed? Why does Ulrich suppress parts of his personality? What effect has it had on him as a person, and why? Why do he and Diotima have such different views on this topic?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)