|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arnheim end up doing in Chapter 86?
2. What is Diotima's opinion of working life as stated in Chapter 93?
3. What type of corporation does Arnheim's family own and run?
4. How does Ulrich accidentally address the General, in Chapter 85?
5. Which character from the previous volume is reintroduced in Chapter 74?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Diotima's psychological situation in Chapter 94?
2. What is Ulrich and Gerda's relationship like as explained in Chapter 74?
3. What does the author say in Chapter 77 about losing one's sense of reality?
4. What are some of the ideological debates going on in the Collateral Campaign in Chapter 89?
5. How did Soliman meet Rachel?
6. Does Arnheim do what the author thinks would be best for him in Chapter 86?
7. What was the course of the General's career development as outlined in Chapter 80?
8. Who is Count Leinsdorf, and how is he described in Chapter 76?
9. What information is revealed about Arnheim's family and past in Chapters 89 and 90?
10. What do Ulrich and General Stumm say about Diotima in Chapter 85?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author points out the importance of timeliness for success in business. Why is timeliness so crucial to an idea's marketability? How does Arnheim take advantage of this concept in ways that others don't? What happens to great ideas if they don't surface at the proper time, and why? Why is the execution of ideas such a difficult skill, and why do so few people possess it?
Essay Topic 2
Ulrich and General Stumm have several conversations about the subjective value of intellect. Why does General Stumm value intellect so highly? Why does Ulrich feel that he values it too highly? Do you agree? Is there any objective way to determine the value of intellect?
Essay Topic 3
Ulrich's destination at the end of the novel is not revealed. Why did the author choose to end the novel this way? How do you, as a reader, feel about this ending, and why? In literary terms, was this ending effective? What point is the author trying to make with this ending?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)