|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the topic of the letter that Clarisse wrote to Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 82?
2. Which ancient philosopher is the topic of Chapter 77?
3. How are Arnheim and Diotima's activities viewed in Chapter 89?
4. Which German is mentioned in Chapter 96 as being one of the greats who arose from a class of prosperous tradesmen?
5. What is the collective title for Arnheim and Diotima's activities?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the narrator in Chapter 92, why is Arnheim different from many rich people?
2. What do Ulrich and General Stumm think about intellect, as revealed by their conversation in Chapter 85?
3. How is the relationship between Diotima and Arnheim described in Chapter 93?
4. What information is given about Gerda in Chapter 73?
5. What point does the author make in Chapter 88 about the value of books?
6. What do Ulrich and General Stumm say about Diotima in Chapter 85?
7. Who is Goethe, and how does Arnheim feel about him as described in Chapter 96?
8. Who is Count Leinsdorf, and how is he described in Chapter 76?
9. What theory does Ulrich develop in Chapter 91?
10. How did Soliman meet Rachel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diotima and her husband are at the pinnacle of the middle class, but they are still middle class. Why does she still have the privilege of associating with wealthy people like Arnheim? How does her unique position affect her attitude toward those with whom she associates, and why? How is she viewed by other aristocrats who either have more money, or made it by investing or inheriting it, and not by working for a living?
Essay Topic 2
Soliman and Rachel are in a similar position, yet they handle themselves very differently. How do Rachel and Soliman's attitudes toward their employers and their situations differ, and why? How does Soliman influence Rachel? What message is the author trying to convey through these two characters?
Essay Topic 3
All of the main characters are involved in politics on some level. What does the Collateral Campaign do? What is its goal? What is the difference between practical and ideological politics? Which is more useful, and why? What are some of the major political issues at hand, and how do the main characters feel about them? What is each character's role in influencing politics on a local and national level?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)