|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Soliman fall in love in Chapter 79?
2. How did Diotima feel when the individual who received the invitation in Chapter 80 arrived at her home?
3. According to Arnheim in Chapter 92, what group of people frequently gave him the most trouble?
4. What is mysterious about Diotima's invitation in Chapter 80?
5. What is the General's response to Ulrich's assertion that he values intellect too highly in Chapter 85?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Goethe, and how does Arnheim feel about him as described in Chapter 96?
2. Who is Aunt Jane, and what is her history as outlined in Chapter 99?
3. What was the course of the General's career development as outlined in Chapter 80?
4. How did Soliman meet Rachel?
5. What information is revealed about Arnheim's family and past in Chapters 89 and 90?
6. How is the relationship between Diotima and Arnheim described in Chapter 93?
7. What does Clarisse realize about the "man without qualities" in Chapter 97?
8. What is revealed about Georg in Chapter 97?
9. What is Ulrich and Gerda's relationship like as explained in Chapter 74?
10. What point does the author make in Chapter 77, using an ancient Grecian philosopher as an example to back up his argument?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This novel was written in the early 20th century, yet many of its themes are still pertinent in today's society. How would today's readers interpret some of these issues differently? What are some significant changes that have occurred since the novel was written which would affect the way readers interpret it? What are some ideas or themes which are no longer relevant, and why aren't they?
Essay Topic 2
Anti-Semitism is an important concept in this novel. Which of the main characters were at some point affected by anti-Semitism? How did it affect them? How did it change their outlook or their position in life?
Essay Topic 3
All of the main characters are involved in politics on some level. What does the Collateral Campaign do? What is its goal? What is the difference between practical and ideological politics? Which is more useful, and why? What are some of the major political issues at hand, and how do the main characters feel about them? What is each character's role in influencing politics on a local and national level?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)