Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ulrich's relationship with Gerda, as described in Chapter 74?
2. What is discussed regarding Diotima in Chapter 93?
3. Which countries does Diotima specifically dislike?
4. How did Diotima feel when the individual who received the invitation in Chapter 80 arrived at her home?
5. What mistaken idea does Arnheim possess in Chapter 92?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clarisse realize about the "man without qualities" in Chapter 97?
2. What do Ulrich and General Stumm say about Diotima in Chapter 85?
3. Does Arnheim do what the author thinks would be best for him in Chapter 86?
4. What comparison does General Stumm make between libraries and warfare in Chapter 100?
5. How did Moosbrugger plead on the several occasions that he went before the judges as outlined in Chapter 86?
6. What information is given by the General in Chapter 116?
7. What is the status of Diotima and Arnheim's relationship in Chapter 105?
8. What idea does Ulrich have at the end of Chapter 120?
9. What does the author say in Chapter 77 about losing one's sense of reality?
10. What is Ulrich's last encounter with Clarisse in Chapter 123?
The author weighs in on the legal status of children and slaves as property of their parents and owners, respectively. Why were these laws put in place? What purpose were they intended to serve? When do these laws fail, and what is done in those cases? How have these laws changed since the book was written, and why? Do you think the author would approve of these changes?
Soliman and Rachel are in a similar position, yet they handle themselves very differently. How do Rachel and Soliman's attitudes toward their employers and their situations differ, and why? How does Soliman influence Rachel? What message is the author trying to convey through these two characters?
Ulrich is described by Clarisse in terms of the novel's title. He is the "man without qualities." What does Clarisse mean by this? Why is Ulrich described this way? Is it possible for someone to be completely without qualities? Do you agree with this description of Ulrich?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)