|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Arnheim say in Chapter 94, which made Diotima realize her feelings for him?
2. How are Arnheim and Diotima's activities viewed in Chapter 89?
3. What type of corporation does Arnheim's family own and run?
4. Why was the General promoted to staff officer?
5. How is Diotima described?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Diotima and Ulrich discuss in Chapter 101?
2. What point does the author make in Chapter 77, using an ancient Grecian philosopher as an example to back up his argument?
3. What does Clarisse do in Chapter 82 that embarrasses Ulrich?
4. What was the course of the General's career development as outlined in Chapter 80?
5. What is the author trying to demonstrate through Ulrich and Gerda's actions in Chapter 119?
6. What does Ulrich do on the final day of the novel?
7. What information does Gerda gain in Chapter 119, and how?
8. What happens between Rachel and Soliman in Chapter 104?
9. How do outsiders relate to Moosbrugger, and why are they interested in him, according to the information presented in Chapter 110?
10. What is Ulrich's last encounter with Clarisse in Chapter 123?
Essay Topic 1
Ulrich and General Stumm have several conversations about the subjective value of intellect. Why does General Stumm value intellect so highly? Why does Ulrich feel that he values it too highly? Do you agree? Is there any objective way to determine the value of intellect?
Essay Topic 2
Ulrich and Diotima have several discussions regarding personality and its repression. What happens when an individual's personality or parts of it is repressed? Why does Ulrich suppress parts of his personality? What effect has it had on him as a person, and why? Why do he and Diotima have such different views on this topic?
Essay Topic 3
The author weighs in on the legal status of children and slaves as property of their parents and owners, respectively. Why were these laws put in place? What purpose were they intended to serve? When do these laws fail, and what is done in those cases? How have these laws changed since the book was written, and why? Do you think the author would approve of these changes?
This section contains 2,059 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)