|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the information presented in Chapter 92, what does money do?
2. To what type of individual does the author compare the General to describe his attitude toward his work?
3. What did Diotima discuss with Arnheim in Chapter 76?
4. Ulrich urges General Stumm to do what, in Chapter 84?
5. What is the general rule stated in Chapter 92, regarding people with ideas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information is revealed about Arnheim's family and past in Chapters 89 and 90?
2. What point does the author make in Chapter 88 about the value of books?
3. What situation regarding an invitation develops in Chapter 80?
4. Who is Goethe, and how does Arnheim feel about him as described in Chapter 96?
5. What is Ulrich's relationship with Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 81?
6. According to the narrator in Chapter 92, why is Arnheim different from many rich people?
7. What do Ulrich and Gerda's parents talk about in Chapter 73?
8. How did Soliman meet Rachel?
9. What is the difference in the way rich people and poor people view wealth, according to the narrator's statements in Chapter 92?
10. What does Clarisse do in Chapter 82 that embarrasses Ulrich?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ulrich's relationship with Gerda is a strange one. How do they feel about one another? Why have they never been intimate? Why do they feel sometimes as if they ought to be intimate with one another? What happens when they try to take their relationship to that level, and why? How do other people view their relationship with one another?
Essay Topic 2
Ulrich is described by Clarisse in terms of the novel's title. He is the "man without qualities." What does Clarisse mean by this? Why is Ulrich described this way? Is it possible for someone to be completely without qualities? Do you agree with this description of Ulrich?
Essay Topic 3
All of the main characters are involved in politics on some level. What does the Collateral Campaign do? What is its goal? What is the difference between practical and ideological politics? Which is more useful, and why? What are some of the major political issues at hand, and how do the main characters feel about them? What is each character's role in influencing politics on a local and national level?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)