|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What example does the author use in Chapter 74 to describe the power of natural forces?
2. One of the Count's acquaintances is mentioned in Chapter 84 as supporting what type of establishment?
3. What does Clarisse realize about her husband in Chapter 97?
4. What is mysterious about Diotima's invitation in Chapter 80?
5. Which countries does Diotima specifically dislike?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theory does Ulrich develop in Chapter 91?
2. What does Clarisse do in Chapter 82 that embarrasses Ulrich?
3. How did Soliman meet Rachel?
4. How is the relationship between Diotima and Arnheim described in Chapter 93?
5. Who is Count Leinsdorf, and how is he described in Chapter 76?
6. What is Diotima's psychological situation in Chapter 94?
7. Who is Aunt Jane, and what is her history as outlined in Chapter 99?
8. What do Ulrich and General Stumm think about intellect, as revealed by their conversation in Chapter 85?
9. What are some of the ideological debates going on in the Collateral Campaign in Chapter 89?
10. What do Ulrich and General Stumm say about Diotima in Chapter 85?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At several points in the novel, the author refers to the relationship between humans and nature, which have a profound impact on one another. What impact does man have on nature? And nature on man? Has this relationship changed, since the novel was written? If so, how? Do you think the author would have had the same attitude if he had lived during our time?
Essay Topic 2
Ulrich is described by Clarisse in terms of the novel's title. He is the "man without qualities." What does Clarisse mean by this? Why is Ulrich described this way? Is it possible for someone to be completely without qualities? Do you agree with this description of Ulrich?
Essay Topic 3
Ulrich's relationship with Gerda is a strange one. How do they feel about one another? Why have they never been intimate? Why do they feel sometimes as if they ought to be intimate with one another? What happens when they try to take their relationship to that level, and why? How do other people view their relationship with one another?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)