|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arnheim end up doing in Chapter 86?
2. The author claims that the General suffered from becoming repeatedly infatuated with what types of women?
3. What is one of the main ideas brought into Diotima's circle of intellectuals in Chapter 89?
4. What does Clarisse realize about her husband in Chapter 97?
5. According to the information given in Chapter 96, what creates a calm temperament?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the narrator in Chapter 92, why is Arnheim different from many rich people?
2. What point does the author make in Chapter 77, using an ancient Grecian philosopher as an example to back up his argument?
3. What does Clarisse realize about the "man without qualities" in Chapter 97?
4. What information is revealed about Arnheim's family and past in Chapters 89 and 90?
5. What situation regarding an invitation develops in Chapter 80?
6. What is the difference in the way rich people and poor people view wealth, according to the narrator's statements in Chapter 92?
7. What is the author's digression in relation to the forces of nature in Chapter 75?
8. Who is Count Leinsdorf, and how is he described in Chapter 76?
9. What was the course of the General's career development as outlined in Chapter 80?
10. What is revealed about Georg in Chapter 97?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Arnheim, Ulrich, and others all have different attitudes toward material wealth and what it means. Why is the significance of wealth so subjective? Why do rich and poor have different attitudes toward it? How does Arnheim's attitude toward wealth differ as a result of being born into a family with money, and why? Do you think our attitudes toward wealth in modern society are different from when the book was written?
Essay Topic 2
All of the main characters are involved in politics on some level. What does the Collateral Campaign do? What is its goal? What is the difference between practical and ideological politics? Which is more useful, and why? What are some of the major political issues at hand, and how do the main characters feel about them? What is each character's role in influencing politics on a local and national level?
Essay Topic 3
The author points out the importance of timeliness for success in business. Why is timeliness so crucial to an idea's marketability? How does Arnheim take advantage of this concept in ways that others don't? What happens to great ideas if they don't surface at the proper time, and why? Why is the execution of ideas such a difficult skill, and why do so few people possess it?
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)