|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect does Arnheim's family business have on his relationship with General Stumm in Chapter 89?
2. What is Leo's reaction to the topic Ulrich introduces in Chapter 73?
3. What did Arnheim say in Chapter 94, which made Diotima realize her feelings for him?
4. Arnheim mentions in Chapter 96 the importance of what?
5. In Chapter 81, how often does Ulrich meet with Count Leinsdorf?
Short Essay Questions
1. What point does the author make in Chapter 88 about the value of books?
2. What does Clarisse do in Chapter 82 that embarrasses Ulrich?
3. What is Diotima's psychological situation in Chapter 94?
4. Who is Aunt Jane, and what is her history as outlined in Chapter 99?
5. What is the author's digression in relation to the forces of nature in Chapter 75?
6. What do Ulrich and General Stumm think about intellect, as revealed by their conversation in Chapter 85?
7. How did Moosbrugger plead on the several occasions that he went before the judges as outlined in Chapter 86?
8. What do Ulrich and General Stumm say about Diotima in Chapter 85?
9. What information is given about Gerda in Chapter 73?
10. Who is Count Leinsdorf, and how is he described in Chapter 76?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ulrich and Diotima have several discussions regarding personality and its repression. What happens when an individual's personality or parts of it is repressed? Why does Ulrich suppress parts of his personality? What effect has it had on him as a person, and why? Why do he and Diotima have such different views on this topic?
Essay Topic 2
Arnheim, Ulrich, and others all have different attitudes toward material wealth and what it means. Why is the significance of wealth so subjective? Why do rich and poor have different attitudes toward it? How does Arnheim's attitude toward wealth differ as a result of being born into a family with money, and why? Do you think our attitudes toward wealth in modern society are different from when the book was written?
Essay Topic 3
Ulrich's relationship with Gerda is a strange one. How do they feel about one another? Why have they never been intimate? Why do they feel sometimes as if they ought to be intimate with one another? What happens when they try to take their relationship to that level, and why? How do other people view their relationship with one another?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)