|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes infatuated with Diotima in Chapter 85?
2. Why is there a conflict between Walter and Ulrich, according to Clarisse?
3. What did Diotima discuss with Arnheim in Chapter 76?
4. What does Clarisse realize about her husband in Chapter 97?
5. What important concept is introduced in Chapter 99?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the course of the General's career development as outlined in Chapter 80?
2. What information is given about Gerda in Chapter 73?
3. What point does the author make in Chapter 88 about the value of books?
4. What are some of the ideological debates going on in the Collateral Campaign in Chapter 89?
5. What information is revealed about Arnheim's family and past in Chapters 89 and 90?
6. What point does the author make in Chapter 77, using an ancient Grecian philosopher as an example to back up his argument?
7. Who is Aunt Jane, and what is her history as outlined in Chapter 99?
8. What do Ulrich and Gerda's parents talk about in Chapter 73?
9. What do Ulrich and General Stumm say about Diotima in Chapter 85?
10. What situation regarding an invitation develops in Chapter 80?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ulrich has relationships with several women throughout the course of the novel. Some are platonic, but some are not. How does Ulrich view women? How does he interact with them? What generalizations does he make that affect the way he treats them? Does he treat his female friends differently from his male friends?
Essay Topic 2
At several points in the novel, the author refers to the relationship between humans and nature, which have a profound impact on one another. What impact does man have on nature? And nature on man? Has this relationship changed, since the novel was written? If so, how? Do you think the author would have had the same attitude if he had lived during our time?
Essay Topic 3
Ulrich is described by Clarisse in terms of the novel's title. He is the "man without qualities." What does Clarisse mean by this? Why is Ulrich described this way? Is it possible for someone to be completely without qualities? Do you agree with this description of Ulrich?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)