|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ulrich notice about his own behavior in Chapter 103?
(a) He is unable to conform to societal standards that he doesn't think are justified.
(b) His behavior used to be inconsistent, but he has been working on that, and getting better.
(c) There have been inconsistencies in his behavior throughout his life, and that probably won't change.
(d) He can be very manipulative when he wants to be and has no intention of changing that.
2. Where are Rachel and Soliman in Chapter 104?
(a) At a hotel.
(b) At a party which their employers have attended.
(c) At Rache's house.
(d) At Soliman's house.
3. Why does Bonadea take an interest in Moosbrugger's welfare in Chapter 115?
(a) She feels maternal toward him because he is much younger.
(b) Her motives are never explicitly stated.
(c) She sees a picture of him, and finds him attractive.
(d) She has a gut feeling that he is innocent.
4. Who expresses concern in Chapter 107, about Arnheim's relationship with Diotima?
(a) General Stumm.
(c) Count Leinsdorf.
(d) Diotima's husband.
5. Why does Ulrich decide not to write a book in Chapter 103?
(a) No one seems interested in his ideas.
(b) He doesn't think he is intelligent enough to do it.
(c) A woman gave birth to him, not an ink well.
(d) He doesn't know how to get it published.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Rachel and Soliman find it difficult to be together in Chapter 117?
2. For whom does Rachel work?
3. How does General Stumm's relationship with Ulrich develop?
4. Why isn't Ulrich surprised by the relationship that Arnheim and Diotima have?
5. Where does General Stumm take Ulrich, in Chapter 100?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the author trying to demonstrate through Ulrich and Gerda's actions in Chapter 119?
2. What does Gerda do with the information she gains in Chapter 119, and why?
3. What do Ulrich and Arnheim say about Moosbrugger in Chapter 121?
4. What is happening politically in Chapter 120?
5. What changes in Chapter 117 for Rachel?
6. What does the narrator say about children and servants in Chapter 113?
7. What is the status of Diotima and Arnheim's relationship in Chapter 105?
8. Who does Ulrich encounter in Chapter 122, and how does he respond?
9. What information is given by the General in Chapter 116?
10. What is Count Leinsdorf concerned about in Chapter 107?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)