|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ulrich feel about Clarisse?
(a) He has never thought about her in a romantic way.
(b) He is attracted to her and fervently wishes he could convince her to sleep with him.
(c) He is not attracted to her in the slightest.
(d) He is attracted to her at times, but is comfortable with the idea that nothing is going to happen between them.
2. How does Gerda learn of Arnheim's ulterior motives in Chapter 119?
(a) By reading his mail.
(b) By eavesdropping on his conversations.
(c) From her father.
(d) From Diotima.
3. What idea does Ulrich have regarding life in Chapter 120?
(a) A person can do well in their life, but for that to happen they must give up a degree of control.
(b) It is only possible to succeed in life if you maintain as much control over your life as possible.
(c) It is nearly impossible for a person to succeed in life because the odds are against them.
(d) Most people don't know how to succeed, which is why they fail.
4. Ulrich notices in Chapter 122 that Arnheim refers to Goethe in what way?
(a) As an authority figure when Arnheim needs the support.
(b) As someone who, Arnheim feels, represents the spirit of his campaign.
(c) As an example of a talented person who didn't know how to properly execute his ideas.
(d) As an example of a person who knew how to execute ideas, but who didn't have much talent.
5. Who is the gathered crowd protesting in Chapter 120?
(c) Count Leinsdorf.
(d) The General.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does General Stumm's relationship with Ulrich develop?
2. What does Count Leinsdorf advise Diotima to study in Chapter 114?
3. What changes about Rachel as a result of her relationship with Soliman in Chapter 104?
4. Why isn't Ulrich surprised by the relationship that Arnheim and Diotima have?
5. What country is mentioned with regard to the challenge of keeping diverse forces united in Chapter 116?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is said about the Kakanians in Chapter 108?
2. What information does Gerda gain in Chapter 119, and how?
3. What is revealed about Arnheim in Chapter 116?
4. What information is given by the General in Chapter 116?
5. What does Ulrich realize about himself in Chapter 103?
6. What does the narrator say about children and servants in Chapter 113?
7. What happens between Ulrich and Gerda in Chapter 119?
8. What information is presented in Chapter 102 regarding Hans Sepp?
9. What do Diotima and Ulrich discuss in Chapter 101?
10. What do Ulrich and Arnheim say about Moosbrugger in Chapter 121?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)