|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What idea does Ulrich have regarding life in Chapter 120?
(a) A person can do well in their life, but for that to happen they must give up a degree of control.
(b) It is nearly impossible for a person to succeed in life because the odds are against them.
(c) It is only possible to succeed in life if you maintain as much control over your life as possible.
(d) Most people don't know how to succeed, which is why they fail.
2. How is the Collateral Campaign viewed as of Chapter 116?
(a) As a place to make business connections.
(b) As a diversion for Diotima.
(c) As an aristocratic hobby.
(d) As having great political significance.
3. What did Ulrich do to offend Arnheim in Chapter 112?
(a) Spoke too directly with him.
(b) Related his disgust with a political figure, whom Arnheim supported.
(c) Showed up late to one of his parties.
(d) Presumed to criticize Arnheim's sense of fashion.
4. What is the main interest outsiders seem to show in Moosbrugger, according to the information presented in Chapter 110?
(a) Whether he was really guilty of committing a crime.
(b) Whether he is crazy.
(c) Whether he can be rehabilitated.
(d) Whether he feels remorse for his crime.
5. What does Bonadea do to maintain a semblance of decorum and discretion as described in Chapter 109?
(a) Attempts to hide her drinking habit, even from those who know her best.
(b) Cleverly and desperately hides the fact that she is living well beyond her means.
(c) Attends functions with her husband, and plays the part of the dutiful wife, even though they can't stand one another.
(d) Deceives people about the true nature of her married life and her extramarital affairs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does General Stumm take Ulrich, in Chapter 100?
2. What societal problem is present in the novel for the first time in Chapter 120?
3. Of what offense does Diotima accuse Ulrich in Chapter 101?
4. What is the ultimate result of Ulrich and Gerda's interactions in Chapter 119?
5. What is said about Diotima in Chapter 108?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Diotima do with Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 114?
2. What happens to Bonadea in Chapter 115?
3. What comparison does General Stumm make between libraries and warfare in Chapter 100?
4. What is the author trying to demonstrate through Ulrich and Gerda's actions in Chapter 119?
5. What information is presented in Chapter 102 regarding Hans Sepp?
6. What do Diotima and Ulrich discuss in Chapter 101?
7. What idea does Ulrich have at the end of Chapter 120?
8. What do Walter and Clarisse fight about in Chapter 118?
9. How do outsiders relate to Moosbrugger, and why are they interested in him, according to the information presented in Chapter 110?
10. What changes in Chapter 117 for Rachel?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)