|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gerda learn of Arnheim's ulterior motives in Chapter 119?
(a) From Diotima.
(b) By reading his mail.
(c) By eavesdropping on his conversations.
(d) From her father.
2. Arnheim is convinced in Chapter 112 that Ulrich is doing what?
(a) Trying to sabotage Arnheim's business ventures.
(b) Trying to push Arnheim away from Diotima, so that he can be with her.
(c) Speaking poorly of Arnheim to others, including Diotima.
(d) Using Arnheim as a means to garner favor with Count Leinsdorf.
3. What does Arnheim do for the first time in Chapter 116?
(a) Makes reference to the current delicate political situation.
(b) Speaks to everyone in attendance, men and women alike, as equals.
(c) Speaks for the Germans as if he is one and not as an outsider.
(d) Sits through an entire meeting without saying a word.
4. Why does Ulrich attempt to sleep with Gerda in Chapter 119?
(a) He doesn't really want to but feels obligated to.
(b) He wants to ruin her relationship with her fiance.
(c) He wants to be able to blackmail her later.
(d) He has been attracted to her for years.
5. Why doesn't Ulrich get to see Diotima when he goes to visit her in Chapter 121?
(a) She is not in.
(b) She is visiting with someone else.
(c) She is ill.
(d) Her husband won't let her see anyone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the concept of "diminished responsibility," as defined in Chapter 110?
2. Ulrich notices in Chapter 122 that Arnheim refers to Goethe in what way?
3. What point of view does the author use in Chapter 119 to relate the thoughts and feelings of Ulrich and Gerda?
4. What is the result of the position of the child and servant, according to the author in Chapter 113?
5. When Moosbrugger's trial reached the courts, what type of issue did it become?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is said about the Kakanians in Chapter 108?
2. What information is presented in Chapter 102 regarding Hans Sepp?
3. What happens between Rachel and Soliman in Chapter 104?
4. Who does Ulrich encounter in Chapter 122, and how does he respond?
5. What information does Gerda gain in Chapter 119, and how?
6. What is Count Leinsdorf concerned about in Chapter 107?
7. What idea does Ulrich have at the end of Chapter 120?
8. How was Ulrich working against Arnheim, as described in Chapter 112?
9. What comparison does General Stumm make between libraries and warfare in Chapter 100?
10. What is the concept of "diminished responsibility" as outlined in Chapter 111?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)