|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the Kakanians?
(a) Austrians who emigrated to the countries surrounding Austria.
(b) Refugees who fled to Austria during World War I.
(c) People from a mountainous range north of Austria.
(d) The author never expressly defines the term.
2. During the protests in Chapter 120, Arnheim is viewed as a representative of what country?
3. What societal problem is present in the novel for the first time in Chapter 120?
(a) Political unrest.
4. Why isn't Ulrich surprised by the relationship that Arnheim and Diotima have?
(a) Arnheim had told Ulrich about his plan to woo Diotima.
(b) He never understood why her husband tolerated Arnheim's attentions toward her.
(c) Arnheim had all the same qualities that caused Diotima to fall in love with her husband.
(d) Diotima had a propensity for becoming infatuated with men she couldn't have.
5. Who expresses concern in Chapter 107, about Arnheim's relationship with Diotima?
(b) Diotima's husband.
(c) Count Leinsdorf.
(d) General Stumm.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chapter 113, what is the position of the child and servant?
2. Who initiated the affair between Ulrich and Bonadea?
3. Why does Bonadea take an interest in Moosbrugger's welfare in Chapter 115?
4. Arnheim is revealed in Chapter 116 to be acting as what?
5. Arnheim is convinced in Chapter 112 that Ulrich is doing what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ulrich and Arnheim say about Moosbrugger in Chapter 121?
2. What do Walter and Clarisse fight about in Chapter 118?
3. What information does Gerda gain in Chapter 119, and how?
4. What happens between Rachel and Soliman in Chapter 104?
5. What is the concept of "diminished responsibility" as outlined in Chapter 111?
6. What concept does Arnheim contemplate in Chapter 106, and how does he feel about it?
7. How do outsiders relate to Moosbrugger, and why are they interested in him, according to the information presented in Chapter 110?
8. What information is presented in Chapter 102 regarding Hans Sepp?
9. Who does Ulrich encounter in Chapter 122, and how does he respond?
10. What is said about the Kakanians in Chapter 108?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)