|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What idea does Ulrich have regarding life in Chapter 120?
(a) Most people don't know how to succeed, which is why they fail.
(b) A person can do well in their life, but for that to happen they must give up a degree of control.
(c) It is only possible to succeed in life if you maintain as much control over your life as possible.
(d) It is nearly impossible for a person to succeed in life because the odds are against them.
2. What does Ulrich notice about his own behavior in Chapter 103?
(a) His behavior used to be inconsistent, but he has been working on that, and getting better.
(b) He can be very manipulative when he wants to be and has no intention of changing that.
(c) He is unable to conform to societal standards that he doesn't think are justified.
(d) There have been inconsistencies in his behavior throughout his life, and that probably won't change.
3. What does Arnheim do for the first time in Chapter 116?
(a) Speaks to everyone in attendance, men and women alike, as equals.
(b) Sits through an entire meeting without saying a word.
(c) Makes reference to the current delicate political situation.
(d) Speaks for the Germans as if he is one and not as an outsider.
4. To whom does Gerda go with her knowledge of Arnheim's motives in Chapter 119?
5. Where are Rachel and Soliman in Chapter 104?
(a) At a party which their employers have attended.
(b) At Rache's house.
(c) At a hotel.
(d) At Soliman's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country is mentioned with regard to the challenge of keeping diverse forces united in Chapter 116?
2. According to the author in Chapter 116, there is sometimes a relationship between what two concepts?
3. What is said about Diotima in Chapter 108?
4. What is the purpose of the laws regarding children and slaves, according to the information in Chapter 113?
5. What does Bonadea do to maintain a semblance of decorum and discretion as described in Chapter 109?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is said about the Kakanians in Chapter 108?
2. What concept does Arnheim contemplate in Chapter 106, and how does he feel about it?
3. What is the status of Diotima and Arnheim's relationship in Chapter 105?
4. Who does Ulrich encounter in Chapter 122, and how does he respond?
5. What happens between Rachel and Soliman in Chapter 104?
6. What do Ulrich and Arnheim say about Moosbrugger in Chapter 121?
7. Who is Bonadea, and what is her history with Ulrich?
8. What changes in Chapter 117 for Rachel?
9. What information is given by the General in Chapter 116?
10. What idea does Ulrich have at the end of Chapter 120?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)