|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Ulrich and Arnheim talk about in Chapter 121?
(b) Count Leinsdorf.
(c) Galician oil fields.
(d) The Kakanians.
2. What is said about Diotima in Chapter 108?
(a) She is credited with having an interest in the concept of redemption.
(b) She is praised for maintaining an appropriate, nonsexual relationship with Arnheim, despite her feelings for him.
(c) She is praised for her involvement in social service.
(d) She is criticized for allowing herself to fall in love with another man.
3. Which individual is not mentioned by Ulrich as one of his long-term friends in Chapter 103?
4. How does Ulrich feel about his relationship with Arnheim in Chapter 112?
(a) Arnheim wants to have a relationship with him, but he doesn't want one.
(b) They are quite close, and trust one another.
(c) Ulrich feels that Arnheim is just using him.
(d) It is odd, at best.
5. Who are the Kakanians?
(a) The author never expressly defines the term.
(b) Austrians who emigrated to the countries surrounding Austria.
(c) Refugees who fled to Austria during World War I.
(d) People from a mountainous range north of Austria.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what ailment is Bonadea suffering in Chapter 115?
2. What is the concept of "diminished responsibility," as defined in Chapter 110?
3. What does Ulrich do when he encounters a prostitute in Chapter 122?
4. What do Ulrich and Arnheim decide regarding Moosbrugger in Chapter 121?
5. How does Ulrich respond during the demonstrations in Chapter 120?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between Rachel and Soliman in Chapter 104?
2. What information is presented in Chapter 102 regarding Hans Sepp?
3. What does the narrator say about children and servants in Chapter 113?
4. What does Ulrich realize about himself in Chapter 103?
5. What is said about the Kakanians in Chapter 108?
6. What do Walter and Clarisse fight about in Chapter 118?
7. What information does Gerda gain in Chapter 119, and how?
8. What do Ulrich and Arnheim say about Moosbrugger in Chapter 121?
9. What changes in Chapter 117 for Rachel?
10. What is the concept of "diminished responsibility" as outlined in Chapter 111?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)