|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One of the Count's acquaintances is mentioned in Chapter 84 as supporting what type of establishment?
(a) An orphanage.
(b) A library.
(c) A hospital.
(d) A sanitarium.
2. According to Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 81 what concept is not useful to humanity?
(b) Practical politics.
(d) Ideological politics.
3. How are Arnheim and Diotima's activities viewed in Chapter 89?
(a) They are resented by the lower classes.
(b) They are viewed as appropriate and effective.
(c) They are looked down upon by the higher classes.
(d) They are viewed as being unintentionally presumptuous.
4. What was the General's attitude toward his job as time went on?
(a) He became disillusioned with the reality of military life.
(b) He held on to it, not out of any real interest, but for the sake of job security.
(c) He still enjoyed his work and cared a great deal about his performance.
(d) He became hungry for power as time went on.
5. Who is Moosbrugger?
(a) A prosperous businessman.
(b) A hobo and a beggar.
(c) A businessman who was successful but has fallen on hard times.
(d) A murderer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clarisse realize about her husband in Chapter 97?
2. What does Ulrich begin to suspect in Chapter 91?
3. Which individual is mentioned as being one of the author's influences in Chapter 91?
4. The author claims that the General suffered from becoming repeatedly infatuated with what types of women?
5. Which German is mentioned in Chapter 96 as being one of the greats who arose from a class of prosperous tradesmen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Soliman meet Rachel?
2. What point does the author make in Chapter 77, using an ancient Grecian philosopher as an example to back up his argument?
3. What information is revealed about Arnheim's family and past in Chapters 89 and 90?
4. What is the difference in the way rich people and poor people view wealth, according to the narrator's statements in Chapter 92?
5. What situation regarding an invitation develops in Chapter 80?
6. What do Ulrich and General Stumm say about Diotima in Chapter 85?
7. According to the narrator in Chapter 92, why is Arnheim different from many rich people?
8. What do Ulrich and General Stumm think about intellect, as revealed by their conversation in Chapter 85?
9. What is Ulrich's relationship with Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 81?
10. What does Clarisse do in Chapter 82 that embarrasses Ulrich?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)