|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ulrich's relationship with Gerda, as described in Chapter 74?
(a) They were merely acquaintances.
(b) They were close and sometimes intimate.
(c) They were once in love but had fallen out of love.
(d) They were close but had never fallen in love.
2. What is discussed regarding Diotima in Chapter 93?
(a) The liking she has taken to Ulrich.
(b) Her mentoring of Clarissa.
(c) The fact that her relationship with Arnheim has remained completely nonsexual.
(d) Her inappropriate relationship with Arnheim.
3. Which countries does Diotima specifically dislike?
(a) Austria and Germany.
(b) Austria and Denmark.
(c) Prussia and Germany.
(d) Germany and Austria.
4. How did Diotima feel when the individual who received the invitation in Chapter 80 arrived at her home?
5. What mistaken idea does Arnheim possess in Chapter 92?
(a) It is his wealth that impresses people and not his personal qualities.
(b) That people are interested in him as a person and not in his wealth.
(c) He could continue to associate with the same people even if he were not rich.
(d) Diotima values him only for his wealth and financial contributions to her cause.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the collective title for Arnheim and Diotima's activities?
2. What is Ulrich doing in Chapter 84 as part of his service to the Count?
3. What type of corporation does Arnheim's family own and run?
4. How does Diotima feel about adultery in Chapter 94?
5. What approach does the individual funding the project in Chapter 84 choose not to employ?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clarisse realize about the "man without qualities" in Chapter 97?
2. What do Ulrich and General Stumm say about Diotima in Chapter 85?
3. Does Arnheim do what the author thinks would be best for him in Chapter 86?
4. What comparison does General Stumm make between libraries and warfare in Chapter 100?
5. How did Moosbrugger plead on the several occasions that he went before the judges as outlined in Chapter 86?
6. What information is given by the General in Chapter 116?
7. What is the status of Diotima and Arnheim's relationship in Chapter 105?
8. What idea does Ulrich have at the end of Chapter 120?
9. What does the author say in Chapter 77 about losing one's sense of reality?
10. What is Ulrich's last encounter with Clarisse in Chapter 123?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)