|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Count Leinsdorf?
(a) Gerda's brother-in-law.
(b) Ulrich's uncle.
(c) An acquaintance of Leo and Klementine.
(d) One of Diotima's best friends.
2. What does Clarisse think is the main difference between the two men she compares in Chapter 97?
(a) One is compassionate, and the other is not.
(b) One is successful, and the other is not.
(c) One is musical, and the other is not.
(d) One is in love with her, and the other is not.
3. According to the author, why are some writers' situations strange?
(a) They are unable to relate to others.
(b) They have been too far removed from the outside world.
(c) Their brains work differently than other peoples' do.
(d) They think their art is great, when others don't.
4. How are Arnheim and Diotima's activities viewed in Chapter 89?
(a) They are viewed as being unintentionally presumptuous.
(b) They are viewed as appropriate and effective.
(c) They are looked down upon by the higher classes.
(d) They are resented by the lower classes.
5. To what type of individual does the author compare the General to describe his attitude toward his work?
(a) A well-supported wife of twenty or thirty years.
(b) A young man who inherits his father's business.
(c) An ambitious politician.
(d) A field laborer who knows no other work.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 81 what concept is not useful to humanity?
2. Which countries does Diotima specifically dislike?
3. What do Ulrich and Klementine discuss in Chapter 73?
4. Which two people admit to liking Ulrich in Chapter 93?
5. The author claims that the General suffered from becoming repeatedly infatuated with what types of women?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the narrator in Chapter 92, why is Arnheim different from many rich people?
2. What is the author's digression in relation to the forces of nature in Chapter 75?
3. What was the course of the General's career development as outlined in Chapter 80?
4. What situation regarding an invitation develops in Chapter 80?
5. What do Ulrich and General Stumm say about Diotima in Chapter 85?
6. What does the author say in Chapter 77 about losing one's sense of reality?
7. What information is revealed about Arnheim's family and past in Chapters 89 and 90?
8. What point does the author make in Chapter 77, using an ancient Grecian philosopher as an example to back up his argument?
9. What is Diotima's psychological situation in Chapter 94?
10. What theory does Ulrich develop in Chapter 91?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)