|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, what would have been the best course of action for Arnheim in Chapter 86?
(a) To maintain only a casual acquaintance with Diotima.
(b) To make it clear to the General that he was Diotima's first choice.
(c) To choose not to involve himself in Diotima's acquaintance with the General.
(d) To stop visiting Diotima and stay away from her.
2. What did Arnheim say in Chapter 94, which made Diotima realize her feelings for him?
(a) He flattered her immensely and told her that of all her virtues her intellect was the most valuable.
(b) He told her about his decision to fund the orphanage with his own money.
(c) He talked about the perception of reality and how the concept should be abolished.
(d) He conveyed to her his depth of feeling for her husband and how he valued their friendship.
3. What approach does the individual funding the project in Chapter 84 choose not to employ?
(a) An interdenominational establishment.
(b) Using his involvement in the project to boost his political career.
(c) Asking aristocrats for charitable donations.
(d) Funding the project with all of his own money.
4. The author claims that the General suffered from becoming repeatedly infatuated with what types of women?
(a) Greedy ones.
(b) Promiscuous ones.
(c) Intimidating ones.
(d) Attractive but unintelligent ones.
5. What mistaken idea does Arnheim possess in Chapter 92?
(a) That people are interested in him as a person and not in his wealth.
(b) It is his wealth that impresses people and not his personal qualities.
(c) Diotima values him only for his wealth and financial contributions to her cause.
(d) He could continue to associate with the same people even if he were not rich.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ulrich accidentally address the General, in Chapter 85?
2. What type of corporation does Arnheim's family own and run?
3. Arnheim mentions in Chapter 96 the importance of what?
4. Who visits Diotima in Chapter 75?
5. Who are Gerda's parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the course of the General's career development as outlined in Chapter 80?
2. What information is revealed about Arnheim's family and past in Chapters 89 and 90?
3. What do Ulrich and General Stumm say about Diotima in Chapter 85?
4. What point does the author make in Chapter 88 about the value of books?
5. What does Clarisse realize about the "man without qualities" in Chapter 97?
6. What does the author say in Chapter 77 about losing one's sense of reality?
7. What is Ulrich's relationship with Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 81?
8. What is revealed about Georg in Chapter 97?
9. What situation regarding an invitation develops in Chapter 80?
10. How did Soliman meet Rachel?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)