|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ulrich accidentally address the General, in Chapter 85?
(d) "Your Highness."
2. According to the information given in Chapter 96, what creates a calm temperament?
(a) One tendency, which is peaceful because it doesn't know anything else.
(b) Two different tendencies, which are constantly battling but are evenly matched.
(c) One tendency, which is peaceful because it has no competition.
(d) Two different tendencies, which peacefully coexist.
3. Who becomes infatuated with Diotima in Chapter 85?
(a) General Stumm.
(c) Count Leinsdorf.
4. How does Diotima feel about adultery in Chapter 94?
(a) She has already committed adultery, and sees no problem with it.
(b) She wouldn't commit adultery herself, but understands why other women might.
(c) She is repulsed by it, and would never entertain the thought.
(d) She has found herself seriously considering it.
5. What was difficult about Aunt Jane's life as she is introduced in Chapter 99?
(a) She attended functions with people she abhorred simply because it was her duty as a wife.
(b) She was pregnant several times, but all ended in miscarriage.
(c) She raised her stepchildren after her husband abandoned them all.
(d) She lost all her money but still tried to associate with people from her old circles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is mysterious about Diotima's invitation in Chapter 80?
2. What question does Ulrich ask regarding Gerda's upcoming marriage in Chapter 73?
3. What did Arnheim explain to Diotima in Chapter 76?
4. Who is Moosbrugger?
5. What question regarding businessmen does Arnheim explore in Chapter 96?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Diotima's psychological situation in Chapter 94?
2. What are some of the ideological debates going on in the Collateral Campaign in Chapter 89?
3. What theory does Ulrich develop in Chapter 91?
4. What do Ulrich and General Stumm say about Diotima in Chapter 85?
5. Who is Count Leinsdorf, and how is he described in Chapter 76?
6. What was the course of the General's career development as outlined in Chapter 80?
7. What do Ulrich and Gerda's parents talk about in Chapter 73?
8. What point does the author make in Chapter 77, using an ancient Grecian philosopher as an example to back up his argument?
9. What information is given about Gerda in Chapter 73?
10. Who is Aunt Jane, and what is her history as outlined in Chapter 99?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)