|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ulrich doing in Chapter 84 as part of his service to the Count?
(a) Tending to the Count's stables.
(b) Sorting a pile of mail.
(c) Caring for the Count's garden.
(d) Cleaning the Count's house.
2. What effect does Arnheim's family business have on his relationship with General Stumm in Chapter 89?
(a) It makes them respect but still distrust one another.
(b) It creates an even greater rift between them.
(c) It has no effect on their relationship.
(d) It leads them to realize that they have some surprising things in common.
3. Which countries does Diotima specifically dislike?
(a) Prussia and Germany.
(b) Austria and Denmark.
(c) Austria and Germany.
(d) Germany and Austria.
4. What do Ulrich and Klementine discuss in Chapter 73?
(a) Leo's hopes for a promotion.
(b) The upcoming war.
(d) Ulrich's love for Gerda.
5. What mistaken idea does Arnheim possess in Chapter 92?
(a) That people are interested in him as a person and not in his wealth.
(b) Diotima values him only for his wealth and financial contributions to her cause.
(c) It is his wealth that impresses people and not his personal qualities.
(d) He could continue to associate with the same people even if he were not rich.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Diotima feel about adultery in Chapter 94?
2. How does Ulrich accidentally address the General, in Chapter 85?
3. What type of corporation does Arnheim's family own and run?
4. What relationship is mentioned by the author in Chapter 96?
5. Who visits Diotima in Chapter 75?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the author's digression in relation to the forces of nature in Chapter 75?
2. Who is Goethe, and how does Arnheim feel about him as described in Chapter 96?
3. Who is Aunt Jane, and what is her history as outlined in Chapter 99?
4. What do Ulrich and Gerda's parents talk about in Chapter 73?
5. What is Ulrich's relationship with Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 81?
6. What point does the author make in Chapter 77, using an ancient Grecian philosopher as an example to back up his argument?
7. What situation regarding an invitation develops in Chapter 80?
8. What is Ulrich and Gerda's relationship like as explained in Chapter 74?
9. According to the narrator in Chapter 92, why is Arnheim different from many rich people?
10. What point does the author make in Chapter 88 about the value of books?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)