|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Arnheim say in Chapter 94, which made Diotima realize her feelings for him?
(a) He flattered her immensely and told her that of all her virtues her intellect was the most valuable.
(b) He conveyed to her his depth of feeling for her husband and how he valued their friendship.
(c) He talked about the perception of reality and how the concept should be abolished.
(d) He told her about his decision to fund the orphanage with his own money.
2. What was difficult about Aunt Jane's life as she is introduced in Chapter 99?
(a) She attended functions with people she abhorred simply because it was her duty as a wife.
(b) She lost all her money but still tried to associate with people from her old circles.
(c) She was pregnant several times, but all ended in miscarriage.
(d) She raised her stepchildren after her husband abandoned them all.
3. Why is there a conflict between Walter and Ulrich, according to Clarisse?
(a) Walter wants to be the Count's favorite.
(b) Walter is jealous of Ulrich's success.
(c) Walter is in love with Clarisse.
(d) Ulrich is jealous of Walter's wealth.
4. According to Arnheim in Chapter 92, what group of people frequently gave him the most trouble?
(a) People who suddenly came into great quantities of money.
(b) The intelligentsia.
(c) The wealthy.
(d) The poor.
5. What is mysterious about Diotima's invitation in Chapter 80?
(a) It was originally addressed to someone else.
(b) It was delivered by hand, instead of in the mail.
(c) The writing looks as if it may not be hers.
(d) It sounds more urgent than it should.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Gerda's parents?
2. Who is Count Leinsdorf?
3. What question regarding businessmen does Arnheim explore in Chapter 96?
4. One of the Count's acquaintances is mentioned in Chapter 84 as supporting what type of establishment?
5. What might be the result if the philosopher mentioned in Chapter 77 were to do what the author suggests?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ulrich and Gerda's parents talk about in Chapter 73?
2. What does the author say in Chapter 77 about losing one's sense of reality?
3. What do Ulrich and General Stumm say about Diotima in Chapter 85?
4. What point does the author make in Chapter 77, using an ancient Grecian philosopher as an example to back up his argument?
5. What are some of the ideological debates going on in the Collateral Campaign in Chapter 89?
6. What information is revealed about Arnheim's family and past in Chapters 89 and 90?
7. What is Ulrich's relationship with Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 81?
8. How is the relationship between Diotima and Arnheim described in Chapter 93?
9. What is revealed about Georg in Chapter 97?
10. What does Clarisse do in Chapter 82 that embarrasses Ulrich?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)