|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ulrich urges General Stumm to do what, in Chapter 84?
(a) Take the opportunity to invest in a new business.
(b) Not take thinking so seriously.
(c) Tell Diotima how he feels about her.
(d) Retire from his military career to pursue one that he enjoys.
2. What relationship does Arnheim use as an example to illustrate the importance of the concept he brings up in Chapter 96?
(a) A horse and his rider.
(b) A boat and its captain.
(c) A dog and his master.
(d) A house and its owner.
3. What relationship is mentioned by the author in Chapter 96?
(a) The relationship between church and state.
(b) The relationship between science and emotion.
(c) The relationship between jealousy and insecurity.
(d) The relationship between science and the Church.
4. Arnheim mentions in Chapter 96 the importance of what?
5. What is one of the main ideas brought into Diotima's circle of intellectuals in Chapter 89?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Leo's reaction to the topic Ulrich introduces in Chapter 73?
2. What was the topic of the letter that Clarisse wrote to Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 82?
3. How are Arnheim and Diotima's activities viewed in Chapter 89?
4. The author claims that the General suffered from becoming repeatedly infatuated with what types of women?
5. What question regarding businessmen does Arnheim explore in Chapter 96?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ulrich and Gerda's relationship like as explained in Chapter 74?
2. What are some of the ideological debates going on in the Collateral Campaign in Chapter 89?
3. What is the author's digression in relation to the forces of nature in Chapter 75?
4. What do Ulrich and Gerda's parents talk about in Chapter 73?
5. Who is Count Leinsdorf, and how is he described in Chapter 76?
6. What does Clarisse realize about the "man without qualities" in Chapter 97?
7. Who is Goethe, and how does Arnheim feel about him as described in Chapter 96?
8. How did Soliman meet Rachel?
9. What is the difference in the way rich people and poor people view wealth, according to the narrator's statements in Chapter 92?
10. What do Ulrich and General Stumm say about Diotima in Chapter 85?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)