|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what type of individual does the author compare the General to describe his attitude toward his work?
(a) A field laborer who knows no other work.
(b) A young man who inherits his father's business.
(c) An ambitious politician.
(d) A well-supported wife of twenty or thirty years.
2. What might be the result if the philosopher mentioned in Chapter 77 were to do what the author suggests?
(a) He would be able to change the course of history.
(b) He would usher in a new era of philosophy and politics.
(c) He would be laughed at.
(d) He would easily get a writing job.
3. In Chapter 85, the General expresses to Ulrich his disappointment in what?
(a) Diotima's affection for Arnheim.
(b) Ulrich's close association with the Count.
(c) The recent lack of advancement in his career.
(d) Ulrich's choice of a wife.
4. What is Klementine's reaction to the topic Ulrich introduces in Chapter 73?
(a) She is too timid to express an opinion.
(b) She dislikes it but doesn't get particularly worked up about it.
(c) She is anxiously hoping it will come to pass.
(d) She doesn't know how she feels about it.
5. Which countries does Diotima specifically dislike?
(a) Germany and Austria.
(b) Austria and Denmark.
(c) Prussia and Germany.
(d) Austria and Germany.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Soliman?
2. With whom does Soliman fall in love in Chapter 79?
3. What does Clarisse think is the main difference between the two men she compares in Chapter 97?
4. What example does the author use in Chapter 74 to describe the power of natural forces?
5. What is Leo's reaction to the topic Ulrich introduces in Chapter 73?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the relationship between Diotima and Arnheim described in Chapter 93?
2. What does Clarisse realize about the "man without qualities" in Chapter 97?
3. What are some of the ideological debates going on in the Collateral Campaign in Chapter 89?
4. What is the difference in the way rich people and poor people view wealth, according to the narrator's statements in Chapter 92?
5. Who is Aunt Jane, and what is her history as outlined in Chapter 99?
6. What is the author's digression in relation to the forces of nature in Chapter 75?
7. What is Ulrich and Gerda's relationship like as explained in Chapter 74?
8. What theory does Ulrich develop in Chapter 91?
9. How did Soliman meet Rachel?
10. What point does the author make in Chapter 88 about the value of books?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)