|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, what would have been the best course of action for Arnheim in Chapter 86?
(a) To stop visiting Diotima and stay away from her.
(b) To maintain only a casual acquaintance with Diotima.
(c) To make it clear to the General that he was Diotima's first choice.
(d) To choose not to involve himself in Diotima's acquaintance with the General.
2. How old is Gerda?
3. What do Ulrich and Klementine discuss in Chapter 73?
(a) Leo's hopes for a promotion.
(b) Ulrich's love for Gerda.
(c) The upcoming war.
4. Who is Soliman?
(a) An African boy who was adopted by an Austrian family.
(b) Diotima's nephew.
(c) An African businessman, working in Austria.
(d) A poor enslaved boy, who is lucky enough to work for a very wealthy family.
5. Clarisse compares Moosbrugger to "the man without" what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which German is mentioned in Chapter 96 as being one of the greats who arose from a class of prosperous tradesmen?
2. How is Count Leinsdorf addressed?
3. What is Ulrich doing in Chapter 84 as part of his service to the Count?
4. How was Diotima's invitation in Chapter 80 received?
5. In Chapter 81, how often does Ulrich meet with Count Leinsdorf?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the author's digression in relation to the forces of nature in Chapter 75?
2. What changes in Chapter 117 for Rachel?
3. What is revealed about Georg in Chapter 97?
4. What theory does Ulrich develop in Chapter 91?
5. What information is given by the General in Chapter 116?
6. What do Ulrich and General Stumm say about Diotima in Chapter 85?
7. What point does the author make in Chapter 88 about the value of books?
8. What concept does Arnheim contemplate in Chapter 106, and how does he feel about it?
9. What does the narrator say about children and servants in Chapter 113?
10. What are some of the ideological debates going on in the Collateral Campaign in Chapter 89?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)