|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the General's attitude toward his job as time went on?
(a) He became disillusioned with the reality of military life.
(b) He became hungry for power as time went on.
(c) He still enjoyed his work and cared a great deal about his performance.
(d) He held on to it, not out of any real interest, but for the sake of job security.
2. What question does Ulrich ask regarding Gerda's upcoming marriage in Chapter 73?
(a) Why she is getting married so young.
(b) What she hopes to gain from her union.
(c) Whether her fiance has much of a future.
(d) Whether they think she will be happy.
3. In Chapter 81, how often does Ulrich meet with Count Leinsdorf?
(a) Once a month.
(b) Once a week.
(c) Twice a week.
(d) Three times a week.
4. What does Ulrich begin to suspect in Chapter 91?
(a) There is some reason why Diotima's husband is so tolerant of her affection for Arnheim.
(b) Count Leinsdorf is beginning to fall for Diotima as well.
(c) General Stumm is planning to murder Arnheim.
(d) Arnheim and Diotima are secretly having an affair.
5. What is Ulrich doing in Chapter 84 as part of his service to the Count?
(a) Cleaning the Count's house.
(b) Sorting a pile of mail.
(c) Caring for the Count's garden.
(d) Tending to the Count's stables.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the importance of a book determined, according to the author?
2. Of what nationality is Arnheim?
3. Who visits Diotima in Chapter 75?
4. What did Arnheim say in Chapter 94, which made Diotima realize her feelings for him?
5. What does Clarisse think is the main difference between the two men she compares in Chapter 97?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theory does Ulrich develop in Chapter 91?
2. What is the difference in the way rich people and poor people view wealth, according to the narrator's statements in Chapter 92?
3. What is Ulrich and Gerda's relationship like as explained in Chapter 74?
4. What was the course of the General's career development as outlined in Chapter 80?
5. What is Ulrich's relationship with Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 81?
6. What do Ulrich and General Stumm say about Diotima in Chapter 85?
7. According to the narrator in Chapter 92, why is Arnheim different from many rich people?
8. What information is revealed about Arnheim's family and past in Chapters 89 and 90?
9. What does the author say in Chapter 77 about losing one's sense of reality?
10. What are some of the ideological debates going on in the Collateral Campaign in Chapter 89?
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)