|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who receives an invitation from Diotima in Chapter 80?
(a) A lesser general.
(b) The Czar.
(c) The Permanent Secretary.
(d) A local politician.
2. How does Ulrich accidentally address the General, in Chapter 85?
(c) "Your Highness."
3. When did Arnheim do the majority of his traveling?
(a) Before World War I.
(b) During World War I.
(c) During World War II.
(d) After World War I.
4. Who is Moosbrugger?
(a) A businessman who was successful but has fallen on hard times.
(b) A hobo and a beggar.
(c) A murderer.
(d) A prosperous businessman.
5. What is Klementine's reaction to the topic Ulrich introduces in Chapter 73?
(a) She dislikes it but doesn't get particularly worked up about it.
(b) She is too timid to express an opinion.
(c) She is anxiously hoping it will come to pass.
(d) She doesn't know how she feels about it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are rich people often troubled by other peoples' reaction to their wealth?
2. To what type of individual does the author compare the General to describe his attitude toward his work?
3. To whom is Gerda engaged?
4. Which German is mentioned in Chapter 96 as being one of the greats who arose from a class of prosperous tradesmen?
5. Who are Gerda's parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clarisse do in Chapter 82 that embarrasses Ulrich?
2. What is Ulrich's relationship with Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 81?
3. Does Arnheim do what the author thinks would be best for him in Chapter 86?
4. According to the narrator in Chapter 92, why is Arnheim different from many rich people?
5. What theory does Ulrich develop in Chapter 91?
6. What is the difference in the way rich people and poor people view wealth, according to the narrator's statements in Chapter 92?
7. What information is revealed about Arnheim's family and past in Chapters 89 and 90?
8. Who is Aunt Jane, and what is her history as outlined in Chapter 99?
9. What is Ulrich and Gerda's relationship like as explained in Chapter 74?
10. What is Diotima's psychological situation in Chapter 94?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)