|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 85, the General expresses to Ulrich his disappointment in what?
(a) Ulrich's close association with the Count.
(b) Diotima's affection for Arnheim.
(c) The recent lack of advancement in his career.
(d) Ulrich's choice of a wife.
2. Clarisse compares Moosbrugger to "the man without" what?
3. According to the information presented in Chapter 92, what does money do?
(a) It will always increase when it is handled well.
(b) It is an unpredictable thing, and there is no telling whether it will increase or decrease.
(c) It often decreases in spite of being handled well.
(d) It sometimes increases, even when it isn't handled well.
4. Who receives an invitation from Diotima in Chapter 80?
(a) A local politician.
(b) The Permanent Secretary.
(c) The Czar.
(d) A lesser general.
5. Which German is mentioned in Chapter 96 as being one of the greats who arose from a class of prosperous tradesmen?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Diotima feel when the individual who received the invitation in Chapter 80 arrived at her home?
2. What did Diotima discuss with Arnheim in Chapter 76?
3. The author suggests in Chapter 77 that an ancient philosopher could do what?
4. What effect does Arnheim's family business have on his relationship with General Stumm in Chapter 89?
5. According to the author in Chapter 85, how does Nature create unity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author say in Chapter 77 about losing one's sense of reality?
2. What do Ulrich and General Stumm say about Diotima in Chapter 85?
3. What is Ulrich and Gerda's relationship like as explained in Chapter 74?
4. What is Ulrich's relationship with Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 81?
5. According to the narrator in Chapter 92, why is Arnheim different from many rich people?
6. What information is revealed about Arnheim's family and past in Chapters 89 and 90?
7. Who is Aunt Jane, and what is her history as outlined in Chapter 99?
8. Who is Count Leinsdorf, and how is he described in Chapter 76?
9. How did Moosbrugger plead on the several occasions that he went before the judges as outlined in Chapter 86?
10. What are some of the ideological debates going on in the Collateral Campaign in Chapter 89?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)