|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the topic of the letter that Clarisse wrote to Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 82?
(a) Starting her own salon, with the Count's permission and funding.
(b) Allowing Ulrich to take advantage of the Count's political connections.
(c) Creating a Nietzsche Year.
(d) Purchasing one of the Count's properties.
2. With whom does Soliman fall in love in Chapter 79?
3. What relationship does Arnheim use as an example to illustrate the importance of the concept he brings up in Chapter 96?
(a) A house and its owner.
(b) A boat and its captain.
(c) A horse and his rider.
(d) A dog and his master.
4. How is Diotima described?
(a) Good-looking and intelligent, but arrogant and snobbish.
(b) Good-looking, but not very intelligent.
(c) Intelligent and polite, but not very good-looking.
(d) Very good-looking, polite, and intelligent.
5. What might be the result if the philosopher mentioned in Chapter 77 were to do what the author suggests?
(a) He would be laughed at.
(b) He would easily get a writing job.
(c) He would usher in a new era of philosophy and politics.
(d) He would be able to change the course of history.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arnheim end up doing in Chapter 86?
2. Who is Count Leinsdorf?
3. Of what nationality is Arnheim?
4. What does Clarisse realize about her husband in Chapter 97?
5. How does Diotima feel about adultery in Chapter 94?
Short Essay Questions
1. What point does the author make in Chapter 77, using an ancient Grecian philosopher as an example to back up his argument?
2. What is the author's digression in relation to the forces of nature in Chapter 75?
3. What does Clarisse do in Chapter 82 that embarrasses Ulrich?
4. Who is Count Leinsdorf, and how is he described in Chapter 76?
5. How is the relationship between Diotima and Arnheim described in Chapter 93?
6. How did Moosbrugger plead on the several occasions that he went before the judges as outlined in Chapter 86?
7. What is Diotima's psychological situation in Chapter 94?
8. What does Clarisse realize about the "man without qualities" in Chapter 97?
9. What situation regarding an invitation develops in Chapter 80?
10. What do Ulrich and General Stumm think about intellect, as revealed by their conversation in Chapter 85?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)