|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the main ideas brought into Diotima's circle of intellectuals in Chapter 89?
2. Which ancient philosopher is the topic of Chapter 77?
3. Clarisse compares Moosbrugger to "the man without" what?
4. What is mysterious about Diotima's invitation in Chapter 80?
(a) It was originally addressed to someone else.
(b) The writing looks as if it may not be hers.
(c) It was delivered by hand, instead of in the mail.
(d) It sounds more urgent than it should.
5. What relationship does Arnheim use as an example to illustrate the importance of the concept he brings up in Chapter 96?
(a) A horse and his rider.
(b) A dog and his master.
(c) A boat and its captain.
(d) A house and its owner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ulrich doing in Chapter 84 as part of his service to the Count?
2. How was Diotima's invitation in Chapter 80 received?
3. What is the general rule stated in Chapter 92, regarding people with ideas?
4. In Chapter 81, how often does Ulrich meet with Count Leinsdorf?
5. What was the topic of the letter that Clarisse wrote to Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 82?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ulrich and Gerda's parents talk about in Chapter 73?
2. What theory does Ulrich develop in Chapter 91?
3. How did Moosbrugger plead on the several occasions that he went before the judges as outlined in Chapter 86?
4. What is the difference in the way rich people and poor people view wealth, according to the narrator's statements in Chapter 92?
5. Does Arnheim do what the author thinks would be best for him in Chapter 86?
6. How is the relationship between Diotima and Arnheim described in Chapter 93?
7. What is the author's digression in relation to the forces of nature in Chapter 75?
8. What is Ulrich's relationship with Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 81?
9. What does Clarisse realize about the "man without qualities" in Chapter 97?
10. According to the narrator in Chapter 92, why is Arnheim different from many rich people?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)