|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what nationality is Arnheim?
2. With whom does Soliman fall in love in Chapter 79?
3. What was the General's attitude toward his job as time went on?
(a) He held on to it, not out of any real interest, but for the sake of job security.
(b) He became hungry for power as time went on.
(c) He still enjoyed his work and cared a great deal about his performance.
(d) He became disillusioned with the reality of military life.
4. Which German is mentioned in Chapter 96 as being one of the greats who arose from a class of prosperous tradesmen?
5. How is Count Leinsdorf addressed?
(a) His Lordship.
(b) His Excellency.
(c) His Highness.
(d) His Majesty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ulrich doing in Chapter 84 as part of his service to the Count?
2. When did Arnheim do the majority of his traveling?
3. What did Arnheim explain to Diotima in Chapter 76?
4. Which individual is mentioned as being one of the author's influences in Chapter 91?
5. How did Diotima feel when the individual who received the invitation in Chapter 80 arrived at her home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clarisse do in Chapter 82 that embarrasses Ulrich?
2. How did Moosbrugger plead on the several occasions that he went before the judges as outlined in Chapter 86?
3. What does Clarisse realize about the "man without qualities" in Chapter 97?
4. What is the author's digression in relation to the forces of nature in Chapter 75?
5. Who is Count Leinsdorf, and how is he described in Chapter 76?
6. What was the course of the General's career development as outlined in Chapter 80?
7. What is Ulrich and Gerda's relationship like as explained in Chapter 74?
8. What information is revealed about Arnheim's family and past in Chapters 89 and 90?
9. How did Soliman meet Rachel?
10. What do Ulrich and General Stumm say about Diotima in Chapter 85?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)