|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which individual is mentioned as being one of the author's influences in Chapter 91?
(a) Charles Dickens.
(b) Josef Stalin.
(c) Niccolo Machiavelli.
(d) Immanuel Kant.
2. How is Count Leinsdorf addressed?
(a) His Excellency.
(b) His Highness.
(c) His Lordship.
(d) His Majesty.
3. What is Klementine's reaction to the topic Ulrich introduces in Chapter 73?
(a) She doesn't know how she feels about it.
(b) She is too timid to express an opinion.
(c) She dislikes it but doesn't get particularly worked up about it.
(d) She is anxiously hoping it will come to pass.
4. Which countries does Diotima specifically dislike?
(a) Prussia and Germany.
(b) Germany and Austria.
(c) Austria and Germany.
(d) Austria and Denmark.
5. Which two people admit to liking Ulrich in Chapter 93?
(a) General Stumm and Permanent Secretary Tuzzi.
(b) General Stumm and Arnheim.
(c) Arnheim and Diotima.
(d) Arnheim and Permanent Secretary Tuzzi.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ulrich urges General Stumm to do what, in Chapter 84?
2. One of the Count's acquaintances is mentioned in Chapter 84 as supporting what type of establishment?
3. According to the author, what would have been the best course of action for Arnheim in Chapter 86?
4. How did Diotima feel when the individual who received the invitation in Chapter 80 arrived at her home?
5. In Chapter 81, how often does Ulrich meet with Count Leinsdorf?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ulrich and General Stumm think about intellect, as revealed by their conversation in Chapter 85?
2. What is Ulrich's relationship with Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 81?
3. What information is revealed about Arnheim's family and past in Chapters 89 and 90?
4. What is the difference in the way rich people and poor people view wealth, according to the narrator's statements in Chapter 92?
5. Does Arnheim do what the author thinks would be best for him in Chapter 86?
6. What is the author's digression in relation to the forces of nature in Chapter 75?
7. What is Diotima's psychological situation in Chapter 94?
8. Who is Goethe, and how does Arnheim feel about him as described in Chapter 96?
9. What does Clarisse realize about the "man without qualities" in Chapter 97?
10. What information is given about Gerda in Chapter 73?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)