|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Diotima described?
(a) Good-looking and intelligent, but arrogant and snobbish.
(b) Good-looking, but not very intelligent.
(c) Very good-looking, polite, and intelligent.
(d) Intelligent and polite, but not very good-looking.
2. How does Ulrich accidentally address the General, in Chapter 85?
(a) "Your Highness."
3. According to the author in Chapter 92, what belief is commonly held by rich people?
(a) That money has no real value, and a person's life can't be measured by it.
(b) That poor people are poor because they are lazy.
(c) That families who have been rich for generations are somehow better than those who just came into money.
(d) That being rich is not as much of a privilege as poor people
4. What might be the result if the philosopher mentioned in Chapter 77 were to do what the author suggests?
(a) He would easily get a writing job.
(b) He would be laughed at.
(c) He would usher in a new era of philosophy and politics.
(d) He would be able to change the course of history.
5. How did Diotima feel when the individual who received the invitation in Chapter 80 arrived at her home?
Short Answer Questions
1. Clarisse compares Moosbrugger to "the man without" what?
2. Which German is mentioned in Chapter 96 as being one of the greats who arose from a class of prosperous tradesmen?
3. In Chapter 85, the General expresses to Ulrich his disappointment in what?
4. According to the information given in Chapter 96, what creates a calm temperament?
5. What was difficult about Aunt Jane's life as she is introduced in Chapter 99?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clarisse realize about the "man without qualities" in Chapter 97?
2. What is revealed about Georg in Chapter 97?
3. What information is given about Gerda in Chapter 73?
4. What is Ulrich's relationship with Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 81?
5. What is Ulrich and Gerda's relationship like as explained in Chapter 74?
6. What is the author's digression in relation to the forces of nature in Chapter 75?
7. What theory does Ulrich develop in Chapter 91?
8. What do Ulrich and General Stumm think about intellect, as revealed by their conversation in Chapter 85?
9. What are some of the ideological debates going on in the Collateral Campaign in Chapter 89?
10. How did Moosbrugger plead on the several occasions that he went before the judges as outlined in Chapter 86?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)