|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ulrich urges General Stumm to do what, in Chapter 84?
(a) Tell Diotima how he feels about her.
(b) Not take thinking so seriously.
(c) Take the opportunity to invest in a new business.
(d) Retire from his military career to pursue one that he enjoys.
2. What is one of the main ideas brought into Diotima's circle of intellectuals in Chapter 89?
3. What question does Ulrich ask regarding Gerda's upcoming marriage in Chapter 73?
(a) Why she is getting married so young.
(b) Whether her fiance has much of a future.
(c) What she hopes to gain from her union.
(d) Whether they think she will be happy.
4. What is the general rule stated in Chapter 92, regarding people with ideas?
(a) The people with ideas are often reluctant to allow others to execute those ideas for them.
(b) There are plenty of people who can execute ideas, but only a few can do it well.
(c) There are more people who can execute ideas than there are people with ideas.
(d) There are more people with ideas than there are people who can execute those ideas.
5. What happens when a book becomes important enough, according to the author?
(a) It is deemed worthy of certain kinds of attention.
(b) It becomes a best-seller.
(c) It is referenced in other literary works.
(d) It goes into the canon of literary classics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Count's major source of wealth?
2. Which German is mentioned in Chapter 96 as being one of the greats who arose from a class of prosperous tradesmen?
3. The author suggests in Chapter 77 that an ancient philosopher could do what?
4. With whom does Soliman fall in love in Chapter 79?
5. What might be the result if the philosopher mentioned in Chapter 77 were to do what the author suggests?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference in the way rich people and poor people view wealth, according to the narrator's statements in Chapter 92?
2. How did Moosbrugger plead on the several occasions that he went before the judges as outlined in Chapter 86?
3. What is Diotima's psychological situation in Chapter 94?
4. What is the author's digression in relation to the forces of nature in Chapter 75?
5. What theory does Ulrich develop in Chapter 91?
6. What does Clarisse do in Chapter 82 that embarrasses Ulrich?
7. Who is Goethe, and how does Arnheim feel about him as described in Chapter 96?
8. How did Soliman meet Rachel?
9. What do Ulrich and Gerda's parents talk about in Chapter 73?
10. What does Clarisse realize about the "man without qualities" in Chapter 97?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)