|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which countries does Diotima specifically dislike?
(a) Austria and Germany.
(b) Germany and Austria.
(c) Austria and Denmark.
(d) Prussia and Germany.
2. How is Count Leinsdorf addressed?
(a) His Highness.
(b) His Excellency.
(c) His Majesty.
(d) His Lordship.
3. Why are rich people often troubled by other peoples' reaction to their wealth?
(a) They want to be valued for reasons other than their wealth.
(b) They don't want other people to take advantage of them and steal their money.
(c) They believe others should work for their money, not ask rich people to give it to them.
(d) They don't understand the emphasis placed on material wealth by poor people.
4. One of the Count's acquaintances is mentioned in Chapter 84 as supporting what type of establishment?
(a) A hospital.
(b) An orphanage.
(c) A sanitarium.
(d) A library.
5. What did Diotima discuss with Arnheim in Chapter 76?
(a) The Count's marital situation.
(c) Her complaints about the Count.
(d) Her husband's political future.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 81 what concept is not useful to humanity?
2. What relationship does Arnheim use as an example to illustrate the importance of the concept he brings up in Chapter 96?
3. When did Arnheim do the majority of his traveling?
4. Clarisse compares Moosbrugger to "the man without" what?
5. According to the author in Chapter 85, how does Nature create unity?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the narrator in Chapter 92, why is Arnheim different from many rich people?
2. What is Diotima's psychological situation in Chapter 94?
3. What are some of the ideological debates going on in the Collateral Campaign in Chapter 89?
4. How did Soliman meet Rachel?
5. What does the author say in Chapter 77 about losing one's sense of reality?
6. What does Clarisse do in Chapter 82 that embarrasses Ulrich?
7. Who is Count Leinsdorf, and how is he described in Chapter 76?
8. What situation regarding an invitation develops in Chapter 80?
9. Does Arnheim do what the author thinks would be best for him in Chapter 86?
10. What information is given about Gerda in Chapter 73?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)