|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Diotima described?
(a) Good-looking and intelligent, but arrogant and snobbish.
(b) Very good-looking, polite, and intelligent.
(c) Intelligent and polite, but not very good-looking.
(d) Good-looking, but not very intelligent.
2. According to the author in Chapter 85, how does Nature create unity?
(a) By creating all life from the same basic materials.
(b) By creating specialized roles for everyone and everything.
(c) By combining opposites.
(d) By smoothing over differences.
3. According to Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 81 what concept is not useful to humanity?
(c) Ideological politics.
(d) Practical politics.
4. What question does Ulrich ask regarding Gerda's upcoming marriage in Chapter 73?
(a) Why she is getting married so young.
(b) Whether they think she will be happy.
(c) Whether her fiance has much of a future.
(d) What she hopes to gain from her union.
5. How does Diotima feel about adultery in Chapter 94?
(a) She has found herself seriously considering it.
(b) She wouldn't commit adultery herself, but understands why other women might.
(c) She has already committed adultery, and sees no problem with it.
(d) She is repulsed by it, and would never entertain the thought.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author claims that the General suffered from becoming repeatedly infatuated with what types of women?
2. According to the information given in Chapter 96, what creates a calm temperament?
3. Who receives an invitation from Diotima in Chapter 80?
4. Who is Moosbrugger?
5. What effect does Arnheim's family business have on his relationship with General Stumm in Chapter 89?
Short Essay Questions
1. What point does the author make in Chapter 88 about the value of books?
2. What information is given about Gerda in Chapter 73?
3. What information is revealed about Arnheim's family and past in Chapters 89 and 90?
4. How did Soliman meet Rachel?
5. What are some of the ideological debates going on in the Collateral Campaign in Chapter 89?
6. What do Ulrich and General Stumm say about Diotima in Chapter 85?
7. Does Arnheim do what the author thinks would be best for him in Chapter 86?
8. What does Clarisse do in Chapter 82 that embarrasses Ulrich?
9. Who is Goethe, and how does Arnheim feel about him as described in Chapter 96?
10. What situation regarding an invitation develops in Chapter 80?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)