|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom is Gerda engaged?
2. What was the topic of the letter that Clarisse wrote to Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 82?
(a) Creating a Nietzsche Year.
(b) Starting her own salon, with the Count's permission and funding.
(c) Allowing Ulrich to take advantage of the Count's political connections.
(d) Purchasing one of the Count's properties.
3. According to Arnheim in Chapter 92, what group of people frequently gave him the most trouble?
(a) The intelligentsia.
(b) The poor.
(c) The wealthy.
(d) People who suddenly came into great quantities of money.
4. What is the general rule stated in Chapter 92, regarding people with ideas?
(a) There are plenty of people who can execute ideas, but only a few can do it well.
(b) There are more people with ideas than there are people who can execute those ideas.
(c) There are more people who can execute ideas than there are people with ideas.
(d) The people with ideas are often reluctant to allow others to execute those ideas for them.
5. According to the author in Chapter 92, what belief is commonly held by rich people?
(a) That families who have been rich for generations are somehow better than those who just came into money.
(b) That money has no real value, and a person's life can't be measured by it.
(c) That poor people are poor because they are lazy.
(d) That being rich is not as much of a privilege as poor people
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes infatuated with Diotima in Chapter 85?
2. According to the author, what would have been the best course of action for Arnheim in Chapter 86?
3. In Chapter 85, the General expresses to Ulrich his disappointment in what?
4. What is Leo's reaction to the topic Ulrich introduces in Chapter 73?
5. Who visits Diotima in Chapter 75?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ulrich and General Stumm think about intellect, as revealed by their conversation in Chapter 85?
2. What does the author say in Chapter 77 about losing one's sense of reality?
3. How is the relationship between Diotima and Arnheim described in Chapter 93?
4. What information is revealed about Arnheim's family and past in Chapters 89 and 90?
5. What are some of the ideological debates going on in the Collateral Campaign in Chapter 89?
6. What is Ulrich and Gerda's relationship like as explained in Chapter 74?
7. What is the difference in the way rich people and poor people view wealth, according to the narrator's statements in Chapter 92?
8. Who is Aunt Jane, and what is her history as outlined in Chapter 99?
9. What information is given about Gerda in Chapter 73?
10. What point does the author make in Chapter 88 about the value of books?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)