|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ulrich urges General Stumm to do what, in Chapter 84?
(a) Retire from his military career to pursue one that he enjoys.
(b) Take the opportunity to invest in a new business.
(c) Not take thinking so seriously.
(d) Tell Diotima how he feels about her.
2. Who are Gerda's parents?
(a) Hans and Diotima.
(b) Ulrich and Klementine.
(c) Ulrich and Diotima.
(d) Leo and Klementine.
3. What type of corporation does Arnheim's family own and run?
(a) A munitions manufacturing facility.
(b) A collective of land-owners.
(c) A shovel-making business.
(d) A bank and lending facility.
4. Which character from the previous volume is reintroduced in Chapter 74?
5. What might be the result if the philosopher mentioned in Chapter 77 were to do what the author suggests?
(a) He would be able to change the course of history.
(b) He would be laughed at.
(c) He would easily get a writing job.
(d) He would usher in a new era of philosophy and politics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What example does the author use in Chapter 74 to describe the power of natural forces?
2. What does Clarisse think is the main difference between the two men she compares in Chapter 97?
3. Why was the General promoted to staff officer?
4. Who becomes infatuated with Diotima in Chapter 85?
5. What effect does Arnheim's family business have on his relationship with General Stumm in Chapter 89?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Arnheim do what the author thinks would be best for him in Chapter 86?
2. Who is Aunt Jane, and what is her history as outlined in Chapter 99?
3. What information is given about Gerda in Chapter 73?
4. What do Ulrich and General Stumm think about intellect, as revealed by their conversation in Chapter 85?
5. What is Diotima's psychological situation in Chapter 94?
6. How did Soliman meet Rachel?
7. What is Ulrich and Gerda's relationship like as explained in Chapter 74?
8. What situation regarding an invitation develops in Chapter 80?
9. Who is Goethe, and how does Arnheim feel about him as described in Chapter 96?
10. What does Clarisse do in Chapter 82 that embarrasses Ulrich?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)