|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Leo's reaction to the topic Ulrich introduces in Chapter 73?
(a) He is undecided.
(b) He doesn't express an opinion either way.
(c) He passionately opposes it.
(d) He dislikes it but doesn't get worked up about it.
2. According to Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 81 what concept is not useful to humanity?
(a) Ideological politics.
(c) Practical politics.
3. How does the author describe Clarisse?
(a) A conservative patriot.
(b) A sexy intellectual.
(c) Attractive, but not particularly intelligent.
(d) Intelligent, but not particularly attractive.
4. Who becomes infatuated with Diotima in Chapter 85?
(c) General Stumm.
(d) Count Leinsdorf.
5. According to the information presented in Chapter 92, what does money do?
(a) It is an unpredictable thing, and there is no telling whether it will increase or decrease.
(b) It often decreases in spite of being handled well.
(c) It sometimes increases, even when it isn't handled well.
(d) It will always increase when it is handled well.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Moosbrugger?
2. Arnheim has traveled extensively in what areas of the world?
3. Who are Gerda's parents?
4. What happens when a book becomes important enough, according to the author?
5. What did Diotima discuss with Arnheim in Chapter 76?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theory does Ulrich develop in Chapter 91?
2. What do Ulrich and General Stumm think about intellect, as revealed by their conversation in Chapter 85?
3. How was Ulrich working against Arnheim, as described in Chapter 112?
4. Does Arnheim do what the author thinks would be best for him in Chapter 86?
5. Who is Aunt Jane, and what is her history as outlined in Chapter 99?
6. What do Diotima and Ulrich discuss in Chapter 101?
7. What is happening politically in Chapter 120?
8. What point does the author make in Chapter 77, using an ancient Grecian philosopher as an example to back up his argument?
9. What information is presented in Chapter 102 regarding Hans Sepp?
10. What does Clarisse realize about the "man without qualities" in Chapter 97?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)