|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, what would have been the best course of action for Arnheim in Chapter 86?
(a) To choose not to involve himself in Diotima's acquaintance with the General.
(b) To maintain only a casual acquaintance with Diotima.
(c) To stop visiting Diotima and stay away from her.
(d) To make it clear to the General that he was Diotima's first choice.
2. What example does the author use in Chapter 74 to describe the power of natural forces?
(a) The Moon's orbit around the Earth.
(b) The unstoppable power of tornadoes and hurricanes.
(c) The way some animals mate for life.
(d) The Moon's effect on the tides.
3. To whom is Gerda engaged?
4. What did Diotima discuss with Arnheim in Chapter 76?
(b) Her complaints about the Count.
(c) The Count's marital situation.
(d) Her husband's political future.
5. According to the information presented in Chapter 92, what does money do?
(a) It often decreases in spite of being handled well.
(b) It is an unpredictable thing, and there is no telling whether it will increase or decrease.
(c) It sometimes increases, even when it isn't handled well.
(d) It will always increase when it is handled well.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 81, how often does Ulrich meet with Count Leinsdorf?
2. What is the General's response to Ulrich's assertion that he values intellect too highly in Chapter 85?
3. What is the Count's major source of wealth?
4. What is Ulrich doing in Chapter 84 as part of his service to the Count?
5. How does Diotima feel about adultery in Chapter 94?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference in the way rich people and poor people view wealth, according to the narrator's statements in Chapter 92?
2. What do Ulrich and Gerda's parents talk about in Chapter 73?
3. How did Moosbrugger plead on the several occasions that he went before the judges as outlined in Chapter 86?
4. What was the course of the General's career development as outlined in Chapter 80?
5. What does Clarisse do in Chapter 82 that embarrasses Ulrich?
6. Who is Aunt Jane, and what is her history as outlined in Chapter 99?
7. How did Soliman meet Rachel?
8. What point does the author make in Chapter 88 about the value of books?
9. What is Ulrich's relationship with Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 81?
10. What do Ulrich and General Stumm think about intellect, as revealed by their conversation in Chapter 85?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)