|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is there a conflict between Walter and Ulrich, according to Clarisse?
(a) Walter is in love with Clarisse.
(b) Walter wants to be the Count's favorite.
(c) Ulrich is jealous of Walter's wealth.
(d) Walter is jealous of Ulrich's success.
2. What does Arnheim end up doing in Chapter 86?
(a) He decides to take a step back and maintain only a casual acquaintance with Diotima.
(b) Arranging to remain as Diotima's guest for an even longer period.
(c) He decides not to involve himself in Diotima's relationship with the General.
(d) He takes the General aside and talks to him about his infatuation with Diotima.
3. What important concept is introduced in Chapter 99?
4. How old is Gerda?
5. What might be the result if the philosopher mentioned in Chapter 77 were to do what the author suggests?
(a) He would be able to change the course of history.
(b) He would easily get a writing job.
(c) He would be laughed at.
(d) He would usher in a new era of philosophy and politics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Ulrich ask regarding Gerda's upcoming marriage in Chapter 73?
2. What was difficult about Aunt Jane's life as she is introduced in Chapter 99?
3. What is the General's response to Ulrich's assertion that he values intellect too highly in Chapter 85?
4. According to the information given in Chapter 96, what creates a calm temperament?
5. In Chapter 85, the General expresses to Ulrich his disappointment in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What point does the author make in Chapter 77, using an ancient Grecian philosopher as an example to back up his argument?
2. Does Arnheim do what the author thinks would be best for him in Chapter 86?
3. What do Ulrich and General Stumm say about Diotima in Chapter 85?
4. What was the course of the General's career development as outlined in Chapter 80?
5. What do Ulrich and Gerda's parents talk about in Chapter 73?
6. What does Clarisse realize about the "man without qualities" in Chapter 97?
7. What do Ulrich and General Stumm think about intellect, as revealed by their conversation in Chapter 85?
8. Who is Aunt Jane, and what is her history as outlined in Chapter 99?
9. Who is Count Leinsdorf, and how is he described in Chapter 76?
10. What information is revealed about Arnheim's family and past in Chapters 89 and 90?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)