|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What relationship does Arnheim use as an example to illustrate the importance of the concept he brings up in Chapter 96?
(a) A horse and his rider.
(b) A house and its owner.
(c) A dog and his master.
(d) A boat and its captain.
2. What is Ulrich's relationship with Gerda, as described in Chapter 74?
(a) They were once in love but had fallen out of love.
(b) They were merely acquaintances.
(c) They were close and sometimes intimate.
(d) They were close but had never fallen in love.
3. Which ancient philosopher is the topic of Chapter 77?
4. With whom does Soliman fall in love in Chapter 79?
5. What is Klementine's reaction to the topic Ulrich introduces in Chapter 73?
(a) She is anxiously hoping it will come to pass.
(b) She doesn't know how she feels about it.
(c) She dislikes it but doesn't get particularly worked up about it.
(d) She is too timid to express an opinion.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author in Chapter 92, what belief is commonly held by rich people?
2. What does Clarisse realize about her husband in Chapter 97?
3. Of what nationality is Arnheim?
4. What was the General's attitude toward his job as time went on?
5. What question regarding businessmen does Arnheim explore in Chapter 96?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ulrich and General Stumm think about intellect, as revealed by their conversation in Chapter 85?
2. What does the narrator say about children and servants in Chapter 113?
3. What does Ulrich realize about himself in Chapter 103?
4. What is said about the Kakanians in Chapter 108?
5. What is Count Leinsdorf concerned about in Chapter 107?
6. What information is given by the General in Chapter 116?
7. What theory does Ulrich develop in Chapter 91?
8. What is Ulrich's relationship with his father, and how does it change in Chapter 123?
9. What does Clarisse realize about the "man without qualities" in Chapter 97?
10. What is the concept of "diminished responsibility" as outlined in Chapter 111?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)