|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 81, how often does Ulrich meet with Count Leinsdorf?
(a) Once a month.
(b) Twice a week.
(c) Once a week.
(d) Three times a week.
2. What relationship is mentioned by the author in Chapter 96?
(a) The relationship between church and state.
(b) The relationship between jealousy and insecurity.
(c) The relationship between science and the Church.
(d) The relationship between science and emotion.
3. How does Ulrich accidentally address the General, in Chapter 85?
(b) "Your Highness."
4. Ulrich urges General Stumm to do what, in Chapter 84?
(a) Retire from his military career to pursue one that he enjoys.
(b) Tell Diotima how he feels about her.
(c) Take the opportunity to invest in a new business.
(d) Not take thinking so seriously.
5. What is the General's response to Ulrich's assertion that he values intellect too highly in Chapter 85?
(a) He has found too much anti-intellectualism in the soldiers' mess halls over the years.
(b) He values intellect only when it is combined with other virtues.
(c) He is accustomed to being around intellectuals, so stupid people bore him.
(d) He doesn't value intellect more than anyone else, but he appreciates it more.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was difficult about Aunt Jane's life as she is introduced in Chapter 99?
2. Why are rich people often troubled by other peoples' reaction to their wealth?
3. What example does the author use in Chapter 74 to describe the power of natural forces?
4. Which countries does Diotima specifically dislike?
5. What question does Ulrich ask regarding Gerda's upcoming marriage in Chapter 73?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Count Leinsdorf, and how is he described in Chapter 76?
2. How did Moosbrugger plead on the several occasions that he went before the judges as outlined in Chapter 86?
3. What idea does Ulrich have at the end of Chapter 120?
4. How do outsiders relate to Moosbrugger, and why are they interested in him, according to the information presented in Chapter 110?
5. According to the narrator in Chapter 92, why is Arnheim different from many rich people?
6. What is revealed about Arnheim in Chapter 116?
7. How did Soliman meet Rachel?
8. Who is Aunt Jane, and what is her history as outlined in Chapter 99?
9. What does Clarisse do in Chapter 82 that embarrasses Ulrich?
10. What does the author say in Chapter 77 about losing one's sense of reality?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)