|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Arnheim do the majority of his traveling?
(a) During World War II.
(b) After World War I.
(c) During World War I.
(d) Before World War I.
2. What question does Ulrich ask regarding Gerda's upcoming marriage in Chapter 73?
(a) Whether they think she will be happy.
(b) Whether her fiance has much of a future.
(c) What she hopes to gain from her union.
(d) Why she is getting married so young.
3. What is the general rule stated in Chapter 92, regarding people with ideas?
(a) The people with ideas are often reluctant to allow others to execute those ideas for them.
(b) There are plenty of people who can execute ideas, but only a few can do it well.
(c) There are more people who can execute ideas than there are people with ideas.
(d) There are more people with ideas than there are people who can execute those ideas.
4. What does Clarisse think is the main difference between the two men she compares in Chapter 97?
(a) One is in love with her, and the other is not.
(b) One is musical, and the other is not.
(c) One is compassionate, and the other is not.
(d) One is successful, and the other is not.
5. One of the Count's acquaintances is mentioned in Chapter 84 as supporting what type of establishment?
(a) A library.
(b) An orphanage.
(c) A hospital.
(d) A sanitarium.
6. Which two people admit to liking Ulrich in Chapter 93?
(a) Arnheim and Permanent Secretary Tuzzi.
(b) Arnheim and Diotima.
(c) General Stumm and Arnheim.
(d) General Stumm and Permanent Secretary Tuzzi.
7. According to the author in Chapter 85, how does Nature create unity?
(a) By smoothing over differences.
(b) By combining opposites.
(c) By creating all life from the same basic materials.
(d) By creating specialized roles for everyone and everything.
8. What was difficult about Aunt Jane's life as she is introduced in Chapter 99?
(a) She lost all her money but still tried to associate with people from her old circles.
(b) She raised her stepchildren after her husband abandoned them all.
(c) She attended functions with people she abhorred simply because it was her duty as a wife.
(d) She was pregnant several times, but all ended in miscarriage.
9. What type of corporation does Arnheim's family own and run?
(a) A munitions manufacturing facility.
(b) A bank and lending facility.
(c) A collective of land-owners.
(d) A shovel-making business.
10. Ulrich urges General Stumm to do what, in Chapter 84?
(a) Tell Diotima how he feels about her.
(b) Take the opportunity to invest in a new business.
(c) Not take thinking so seriously.
(d) Retire from his military career to pursue one that he enjoys.
11. What do Ulrich and Klementine discuss in Chapter 73?
(a) Ulrich's love for Gerda.
(b) Leo's hopes for a promotion.
(d) The upcoming war.
12. What is the General's response to Ulrich's assertion that he values intellect too highly in Chapter 85?
(a) He has found too much anti-intellectualism in the soldiers' mess halls over the years.
(b) He values intellect only when it is combined with other virtues.
(c) He doesn't value intellect more than anyone else, but he appreciates it more.
(d) He is accustomed to being around intellectuals, so stupid people bore him.
13. What is Leo's reaction to the topic Ulrich introduces in Chapter 73?
(a) He doesn't express an opinion either way.
(b) He dislikes it but doesn't get worked up about it.
(c) He passionately opposes it.
(d) He is undecided.
14. According to Arnheim in Chapter 92, what group of people frequently gave him the most trouble?
(a) People who suddenly came into great quantities of money.
(b) The intelligentsia.
(c) The poor.
(d) The wealthy.
15. How old is Gerda?
Short Answer Questions
1. What question regarding businessmen does Arnheim explore in Chapter 96?
2. According to the information given in Chapter 96, what creates a calm temperament?
3. What happens when a book becomes important enough, according to the author?
4. What artistic movement was often criticized by Diotima's group?
5. How did Diotima feel when the individual who received the invitation in Chapter 80 arrived at her home?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)