|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One of the Count's acquaintances is mentioned in Chapter 84 as supporting what type of establishment?
(a) An orphanage.
(b) A hospital.
(c) A library.
(d) A sanitarium.
2. What did Arnheim say in Chapter 94, which made Diotima realize her feelings for him?
(a) He talked about the perception of reality and how the concept should be abolished.
(b) He flattered her immensely and told her that of all her virtues her intellect was the most valuable.
(c) He conveyed to her his depth of feeling for her husband and how he valued their friendship.
(d) He told her about his decision to fund the orphanage with his own money.
3. The author suggests in Chapter 77 that an ancient philosopher could do what?
(a) Go to a newspaper and prove his identity to the editors.
(b) Change the worldview of the most influential people.
(c) Host his own salon.
(d) Discuss political strategy with world leaders.
4. According to the author in Chapter 92, what belief is commonly held by rich people?
(a) That poor people are poor because they are lazy.
(b) That families who have been rich for generations are somehow better than those who just came into money.
(c) That money has no real value, and a person's life can't be measured by it.
(d) That being rich is not as much of a privilege as poor people
5. What did Arnheim explain to Diotima in Chapter 76?
(a) Diotima's husband can't better his position without the Count's blessings.
(b) Some of the Count's characteristics are a natural byproduct of his status.
(c) The Count is severely opposed to anti-Semitism and actively works against it.
(d) Diotima doesn't have the social stature to question the Count.
6. Which two people admit to liking Ulrich in Chapter 93?
(a) General Stumm and Permanent Secretary Tuzzi.
(b) Arnheim and Permanent Secretary Tuzzi.
(c) Arnheim and Diotima.
(d) General Stumm and Arnheim.
7. According to Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 81 what concept is not useful to humanity?
(a) Ideological politics.
(c) Practical politics.
8. What effect does Arnheim's family business have on his relationship with General Stumm in Chapter 89?
(a) It leads them to realize that they have some surprising things in common.
(b) It makes them respect but still distrust one another.
(c) It has no effect on their relationship.
(d) It creates an even greater rift between them.
9. To whom is Gerda engaged?
10. How is Diotima described?
(a) Good-looking, but not very intelligent.
(b) Very good-looking, polite, and intelligent.
(c) Good-looking and intelligent, but arrogant and snobbish.
(d) Intelligent and polite, but not very good-looking.
11. In Chapter 85, the General expresses to Ulrich his disappointment in what?
(a) Ulrich's choice of a wife.
(b) Ulrich's close association with the Count.
(c) The recent lack of advancement in his career.
(d) Diotima's affection for Arnheim.
12. In Chapter 81, how often does Ulrich meet with Count Leinsdorf?
(a) Once a week.
(b) Once a month.
(c) Twice a week.
(d) Three times a week.
13. What is the General's response to Ulrich's assertion that he values intellect too highly in Chapter 85?
(a) He values intellect only when it is combined with other virtues.
(b) He is accustomed to being around intellectuals, so stupid people bore him.
(c) He doesn't value intellect more than anyone else, but he appreciates it more.
(d) He has found too much anti-intellectualism in the soldiers' mess halls over the years.
14. Why is there a conflict between Walter and Ulrich, according to Clarisse?
(a) Walter wants to be the Count's favorite.
(b) Walter is jealous of Ulrich's success.
(c) Walter is in love with Clarisse.
(d) Ulrich is jealous of Walter's wealth.
15. According to Arnheim in Chapter 92, what group of people frequently gave him the most trouble?
(a) The poor.
(b) The intelligentsia.
(c) People who suddenly came into great quantities of money.
(d) The wealthy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Diotima discuss with Arnheim in Chapter 76?
2. Ulrich urges General Stumm to do what, in Chapter 84?
3. What is Ulrich doing in Chapter 84 as part of his service to the Count?
4. What does Arnheim end up doing in Chapter 86?
5. What important concept is introduced in Chapter 99?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)