|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Arnheim in Chapter 92, what group of people frequently gave him the most trouble?
(a) The poor.
(b) People who suddenly came into great quantities of money.
(c) The intelligentsia.
(d) The wealthy.
2. What is the Count's major source of wealth?
(a) An inheritance.
(b) Slave labor.
(c) Land ownership.
(d) Stocks and bonds.
3. Arnheim mentions in Chapter 96 the importance of what?
4. What was difficult about Aunt Jane's life as she is introduced in Chapter 99?
(a) She raised her stepchildren after her husband abandoned them all.
(b) She attended functions with people she abhorred simply because it was her duty as a wife.
(c) She was pregnant several times, but all ended in miscarriage.
(d) She lost all her money but still tried to associate with people from her old circles.
5. What type of corporation does Arnheim's family own and run?
(a) A collective of land-owners.
(b) A bank and lending facility.
(c) A shovel-making business.
(d) A munitions manufacturing facility.
6. What is discussed regarding Diotima in Chapter 93?
(a) The liking she has taken to Ulrich.
(b) The fact that her relationship with Arnheim has remained completely nonsexual.
(c) Her inappropriate relationship with Arnheim.
(d) Her mentoring of Clarissa.
7. What question does Ulrich ask regarding Gerda's upcoming marriage in Chapter 73?
(a) Why she is getting married so young.
(b) What she hopes to gain from her union.
(c) Whether her fiance has much of a future.
(d) Whether they think she will be happy.
8. With whom does Soliman fall in love in Chapter 79?
9. Clarisse compares Moosbrugger to "the man without" what?
10. Why was the General promoted to staff officer?
(a) He showed himself to be extremely dedicated and patriotic.
(b) The others had noticed he was something of a philosopher.
(c) He went above and beyond the call of duty.
(d) He had military connections.
11. How is Count Leinsdorf addressed?
(a) His Lordship.
(b) His Highness.
(c) His Majesty.
(d) His Excellency.
12. One of the Count's acquaintances is mentioned in Chapter 84 as supporting what type of establishment?
(a) An orphanage.
(b) A hospital.
(c) A library.
(d) A sanitarium.
13. What example does the author use in Chapter 74 to describe the power of natural forces?
(a) The unstoppable power of tornadoes and hurricanes.
(b) The Moon's effect on the tides.
(c) The Moon's orbit around the Earth.
(d) The way some animals mate for life.
14. Which ancient philosopher is the topic of Chapter 77?
15. In Chapter 85, the General expresses to Ulrich his disappointment in what?
(a) Diotima's affection for Arnheim.
(b) Ulrich's choice of a wife.
(c) The recent lack of advancement in his career.
(d) Ulrich's close association with the Count.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the information presented in Chapter 92, what does money do?
2. What relationship is mentioned by the author in Chapter 96?
3. According to the author, what would have been the best course of action for Arnheim in Chapter 86?
4. What was the topic of the letter that Clarisse wrote to Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 82?
5. Which character from the previous volume is reintroduced in Chapter 74?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)