Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ulrich's relationship with Gerda, as described in Chapter 74?
(a) They were merely acquaintances.
(b) They were close and sometimes intimate.
(c) They were once in love but had fallen out of love.
(d) They were close but had never fallen in love.
2. What is discussed regarding Diotima in Chapter 93?
(a) The liking she has taken to Ulrich.
(b) Her mentoring of Clarissa.
(c) The fact that her relationship with Arnheim has remained completely nonsexual.
(d) Her inappropriate relationship with Arnheim.
3. Which countries does Diotima specifically dislike?
(a) Austria and Germany.
(b) Austria and Denmark.
(c) Prussia and Germany.
(d) Germany and Austria.
4. How did Diotima feel when the individual who received the invitation in Chapter 80 arrived at her home?
5. What mistaken idea does Arnheim possess in Chapter 92?
(a) It is his wealth that impresses people and not his personal qualities.
(b) That people are interested in him as a person and not in his wealth.
(c) He could continue to associate with the same people even if he were not rich.
(d) Diotima values him only for his wealth and financial contributions to her cause.
6. What is the collective title for Arnheim and Diotima's activities?
(a) The Coalition of Concerned Intellectuals.
(b) The Collateral Campaign.
(c) The Aristocratic Collective.
(d) The Creative Coalition.
7. What is Ulrich doing in Chapter 84 as part of his service to the Count?
(a) Sorting a pile of mail.
(b) Cleaning the Count's house.
(c) Caring for the Count's garden.
(d) Tending to the Count's stables.
8. What type of corporation does Arnheim's family own and run?
(a) A shovel-making business.
(b) A munitions manufacturing facility.
(c) A collective of land-owners.
(d) A bank and lending facility.
9. How does Diotima feel about adultery in Chapter 94?
(a) She wouldn't commit adultery herself, but understands why other women might.
(b) She has found herself seriously considering it.
(c) She is repulsed by it, and would never entertain the thought.
(d) She has already committed adultery, and sees no problem with it.
10. What approach does the individual funding the project in Chapter 84 choose not to employ?
(a) Using his involvement in the project to boost his political career.
(b) An interdenominational establishment.
(c) Funding the project with all of his own money.
(d) Asking aristocrats for charitable donations.
11. The author claims that the General suffered from becoming repeatedly infatuated with what types of women?
(a) Intimidating ones.
(b) Attractive but unintelligent ones.
(c) Promiscuous ones.
(d) Greedy ones.
12. What is Diotima's opinion of working life as stated in Chapter 93?
(a) It builds an individual's character, and as such it is an extremely valuable experience.
(b) It is a necessary evil for many, which the rich are happy to avoid.
(c) It can wipe out someone's personality unless it is so well suited to them that they identify with it.
(d) She declines to give an opinion of working life because she has never experienced it.
13. What was the topic of the letter that Clarisse wrote to Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 82?
(a) Purchasing one of the Count's properties.
(b) Creating a Nietzsche Year.
(c) Starting her own salon, with the Count's permission and funding.
(d) Allowing Ulrich to take advantage of the Count's political connections.
14. Who visits Diotima in Chapter 75?
(a) A general.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A politician.
(d) A policeman.
15. How is Diotima described?
(a) Intelligent and polite, but not very good-looking.
(b) Very good-looking, polite, and intelligent.
(c) Good-looking and intelligent, but arrogant and snobbish.
(d) Good-looking, but not very intelligent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What artistic movement was often criticized by Diotima's group?
2. According to the author, why are some writers' situations strange?
3. According to the author in Chapter 85, how does Nature create unity?
4. To whom is Gerda engaged?
5. In Chapter 85, the General expresses to Ulrich his disappointment in what?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)