|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Count Leinsdorf?
(a) An acquaintance of Leo and Klementine.
(b) One of Diotima's best friends.
(c) Ulrich's uncle.
(d) Gerda's brother-in-law.
2. Clarisse compares Moosbrugger to "the man without" what?
3. How are Arnheim and Diotima's activities viewed in Chapter 89?
(a) They are viewed as being unintentionally presumptuous.
(b) They are viewed as appropriate and effective.
(c) They are looked down upon by the higher classes.
(d) They are resented by the lower classes.
4. How does the author describe Clarisse?
(a) A conservative patriot.
(b) A sexy intellectual.
(c) Intelligent, but not particularly attractive.
(d) Attractive, but not particularly intelligent.
5. According to Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 81 what concept is not useful to humanity?
(a) Practical politics.
(d) Ideological politics.
6. How did Diotima feel when the individual who received the invitation in Chapter 80 arrived at her home?
7. Why was the General promoted to staff officer?
(a) He showed himself to be extremely dedicated and patriotic.
(b) The others had noticed he was something of a philosopher.
(c) He went above and beyond the call of duty.
(d) He had military connections.
8. One of the Count's acquaintances is mentioned in Chapter 84 as supporting what type of establishment?
(a) A sanitarium.
(b) A hospital.
(c) An orphanage.
(d) A library.
9. What is the Count's major source of wealth?
(a) Slave labor.
(b) An inheritance.
(c) Stocks and bonds.
(d) Land ownership.
10. What example does the author use in Chapter 74 to describe the power of natural forces?
(a) The Moon's effect on the tides.
(b) The unstoppable power of tornadoes and hurricanes.
(c) The way some animals mate for life.
(d) The Moon's orbit around the Earth.
11. With whom does Soliman fall in love in Chapter 79?
12. How old is Gerda?
13. What is discussed regarding Diotima in Chapter 93?
(a) Her mentoring of Clarissa.
(b) Her inappropriate relationship with Arnheim.
(c) The fact that her relationship with Arnheim has remained completely nonsexual.
(d) The liking she has taken to Ulrich.
14. What does Clarisse think is the main difference between the two men she compares in Chapter 97?
(a) One is in love with her, and the other is not.
(b) One is musical, and the other is not.
(c) One is successful, and the other is not.
(d) One is compassionate, and the other is not.
15. What was the General's attitude toward his job as time went on?
(a) He held on to it, not out of any real interest, but for the sake of job security.
(b) He still enjoyed his work and cared a great deal about his performance.
(c) He became hungry for power as time went on.
(d) He became disillusioned with the reality of military life.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Diotima's invitation in Chapter 80 received?
2. What is Diotima's opinion of working life as stated in Chapter 93?
3. Which ancient philosopher is the topic of Chapter 77?
4. According to the author in Chapter 92, what belief is commonly held by rich people?
5. What is Klementine's reaction to the topic Ulrich introduces in Chapter 73?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)