|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the General's attitude toward his job as time went on?
(a) He held on to it, not out of any real interest, but for the sake of job security.
(b) He became hungry for power as time went on.
(c) He became disillusioned with the reality of military life.
(d) He still enjoyed his work and cared a great deal about his performance.
2. What is the General's response to Ulrich's assertion that he values intellect too highly in Chapter 85?
(a) He doesn't value intellect more than anyone else, but he appreciates it more.
(b) He values intellect only when it is combined with other virtues.
(c) He is accustomed to being around intellectuals, so stupid people bore him.
(d) He has found too much anti-intellectualism in the soldiers' mess halls over the years.
3. Who is Count Leinsdorf?
(a) One of Diotima's best friends.
(b) An acquaintance of Leo and Klementine.
(c) Gerda's brother-in-law.
(d) Ulrich's uncle.
4. What is Klementine's reaction to the topic Ulrich introduces in Chapter 73?
(a) She is too timid to express an opinion.
(b) She dislikes it but doesn't get particularly worked up about it.
(c) She is anxiously hoping it will come to pass.
(d) She doesn't know how she feels about it.
5. Why was the General promoted to staff officer?
(a) He went above and beyond the call of duty.
(b) He had military connections.
(c) The others had noticed he was something of a philosopher.
(d) He showed himself to be extremely dedicated and patriotic.
6. What effect does Arnheim's family business have on his relationship with General Stumm in Chapter 89?
(a) It makes them respect but still distrust one another.
(b) It creates an even greater rift between them.
(c) It leads them to realize that they have some surprising things in common.
(d) It has no effect on their relationship.
7. What relationship is mentioned by the author in Chapter 96?
(a) The relationship between jealousy and insecurity.
(b) The relationship between science and the Church.
(c) The relationship between church and state.
(d) The relationship between science and emotion.
8. What is the general rule stated in Chapter 92, regarding people with ideas?
(a) The people with ideas are often reluctant to allow others to execute those ideas for them.
(b) There are more people with ideas than there are people who can execute those ideas.
(c) There are more people who can execute ideas than there are people with ideas.
(d) There are plenty of people who can execute ideas, but only a few can do it well.
9. What mistaken idea does Arnheim possess in Chapter 92?
(a) Diotima values him only for his wealth and financial contributions to her cause.
(b) He could continue to associate with the same people even if he were not rich.
(c) It is his wealth that impresses people and not his personal qualities.
(d) That people are interested in him as a person and not in his wealth.
10. How does Ulrich accidentally address the General, in Chapter 85?
(c) "Your Highness."
11. What important concept is introduced in Chapter 99?
12. Arnheim has traveled extensively in what areas of the world?
(a) Europe and Asia.
(b) Africa and Asia.
(c) America and Australia.
(d) Europe and America.
13. Ulrich urges General Stumm to do what, in Chapter 84?
(a) Retire from his military career to pursue one that he enjoys.
(b) Tell Diotima how he feels about her.
(c) Not take thinking so seriously.
(d) Take the opportunity to invest in a new business.
14. Why is there a conflict between Walter and Ulrich, according to Clarisse?
(a) Walter is in love with Clarisse.
(b) Walter wants to be the Count's favorite.
(c) Walter is jealous of Ulrich's success.
(d) Ulrich is jealous of Walter's wealth.
15. What is one of the main ideas brought into Diotima's circle of intellectuals in Chapter 89?
Short Answer Questions
1. The author claims that the General suffered from becoming repeatedly infatuated with what types of women?
2. Who visits Diotima in Chapter 75?
3. What is discussed regarding Diotima in Chapter 93?
4. According to the information presented in Chapter 92, what does money do?
5. What is Leo's reaction to the topic Ulrich introduces in Chapter 73?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)