|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who becomes infatuated with Diotima in Chapter 85?
(a) Count Leinsdorf.
(c) General Stumm.
2. What is the Count's major source of wealth?
(a) An inheritance.
(b) Land ownership.
(c) Stocks and bonds.
(d) Slave labor.
3. Why is there a conflict between Walter and Ulrich, according to Clarisse?
(a) Walter is jealous of Ulrich's success.
(b) Walter wants to be the Count's favorite.
(c) Ulrich is jealous of Walter's wealth.
(d) Walter is in love with Clarisse.
4. What question does Ulrich ask regarding Gerda's upcoming marriage in Chapter 73?
(a) What she hopes to gain from her union.
(b) Why she is getting married so young.
(c) Whether her fiance has much of a future.
(d) Whether they think she will be happy.
5. Which countries does Diotima specifically dislike?
(a) Prussia and Germany.
(b) Germany and Austria.
(c) Austria and Denmark.
(d) Austria and Germany.
6. What relationship does Arnheim use as an example to illustrate the importance of the concept he brings up in Chapter 96?
(a) A house and its owner.
(b) A dog and his master.
(c) A horse and his rider.
(d) A boat and its captain.
7. Who is Soliman?
(a) An African boy who was adopted by an Austrian family.
(b) A poor enslaved boy, who is lucky enough to work for a very wealthy family.
(c) An African businessman, working in Austria.
(d) Diotima's nephew.
8. In Chapter 85, the General expresses to Ulrich his disappointment in what?
(a) Ulrich's choice of a wife.
(b) The recent lack of advancement in his career.
(c) Ulrich's close association with the Count.
(d) Diotima's affection for Arnheim.
9. Which individual is mentioned as being one of the author's influences in Chapter 91?
(a) Immanuel Kant.
(b) Josef Stalin.
(c) Charles Dickens.
(d) Niccolo Machiavelli.
10. What is Ulrich's relationship with Gerda, as described in Chapter 74?
(a) They were merely acquaintances.
(b) They were close but had never fallen in love.
(c) They were close and sometimes intimate.
(d) They were once in love but had fallen out of love.
11. According to the information presented in Chapter 92, what does money do?
(a) It sometimes increases, even when it isn't handled well.
(b) It will always increase when it is handled well.
(c) It is an unpredictable thing, and there is no telling whether it will increase or decrease.
(d) It often decreases in spite of being handled well.
12. Who is Moosbrugger?
(a) A murderer.
(b) A businessman who was successful but has fallen on hard times.
(c) A hobo and a beggar.
(d) A prosperous businessman.
13. According to Arnheim in Chapter 92, what group of people frequently gave him the most trouble?
(a) People who suddenly came into great quantities of money.
(b) The wealthy.
(c) The poor.
(d) The intelligentsia.
14. What did Diotima discuss with Arnheim in Chapter 76?
(a) Her complaints about the Count.
(b) Her husband's political future.
(c) The Count's marital situation.
15. How is Diotima described?
(a) Good-looking, but not very intelligent.
(b) Very good-looking, polite, and intelligent.
(c) Good-looking and intelligent, but arrogant and snobbish.
(d) Intelligent and polite, but not very good-looking.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Leo's reaction to the topic Ulrich introduces in Chapter 73?
2. How does Ulrich accidentally address the General, in Chapter 85?
3. How does Diotima feel about adultery in Chapter 94?
4. Of what nationality is Arnheim?
5. What does Clarisse realize about her husband in Chapter 97?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)