|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clarisse realize about her husband in Chapter 97?
(a) He is no longer in love with her.
(b) He is afraid of her.
(c) He was never in love with her.
(d) She is afraid of him.
2. What did Arnheim explain to Diotima in Chapter 76?
(a) Diotima's husband can't better his position without the Count's blessings.
(b) Diotima doesn't have the social stature to question the Count.
(c) Some of the Count's characteristics are a natural byproduct of his status.
(d) The Count is severely opposed to anti-Semitism and actively works against it.
3. Who is Soliman?
(a) An African boy who was adopted by an Austrian family.
(b) Diotima's nephew.
(c) A poor enslaved boy, who is lucky enough to work for a very wealthy family.
(d) An African businessman, working in Austria.
4. What might be the result if the philosopher mentioned in Chapter 77 were to do what the author suggests?
(a) He would be laughed at.
(b) He would easily get a writing job.
(c) He would usher in a new era of philosophy and politics.
(d) He would be able to change the course of history.
5. What was the General's attitude toward his job as time went on?
(a) He still enjoyed his work and cared a great deal about his performance.
(b) He became hungry for power as time went on.
(c) He became disillusioned with the reality of military life.
(d) He held on to it, not out of any real interest, but for the sake of job security.
6. How does the author describe Clarisse?
(a) A conservative patriot.
(b) A sexy intellectual.
(c) Intelligent, but not particularly attractive.
(d) Attractive, but not particularly intelligent.
7. What example does the author use in Chapter 74 to describe the power of natural forces?
(a) The unstoppable power of tornadoes and hurricanes.
(b) The Moon's orbit around the Earth.
(c) The Moon's effect on the tides.
(d) The way some animals mate for life.
8. What artistic movement was often criticized by Diotima's group?
9. Who are Gerda's parents?
(a) Ulrich and Klementine.
(b) Ulrich and Diotima.
(c) Leo and Klementine.
(d) Hans and Diotima.
10. The author claims that the General suffered from becoming repeatedly infatuated with what types of women?
(a) Attractive but unintelligent ones.
(b) Promiscuous ones.
(c) Intimidating ones.
(d) Greedy ones.
11. How did Diotima feel when the individual who received the invitation in Chapter 80 arrived at her home?
12. Which ancient philosopher is the topic of Chapter 77?
13. Arnheim mentions in Chapter 96 the importance of what?
14. What did Arnheim say in Chapter 94, which made Diotima realize her feelings for him?
(a) He flattered her immensely and told her that of all her virtues her intellect was the most valuable.
(b) He talked about the perception of reality and how the concept should be abolished.
(c) He conveyed to her his depth of feeling for her husband and how he valued their friendship.
(d) He told her about his decision to fund the orphanage with his own money.
15. How does Ulrich accidentally address the General, in Chapter 85?
(d) "Your Highness."
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of corporation does Arnheim's family own and run?
2. Who becomes infatuated with Diotima in Chapter 85?
3. To what type of individual does the author compare the General to describe his attitude toward his work?
4. Which individual is mentioned as being one of the author's influences in Chapter 91?
5. What approach does the individual funding the project in Chapter 84 choose not to employ?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)