|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the information presented in Chapter 92, what does money do?
(a) It will always increase when it is handled well.
(b) It is an unpredictable thing, and there is no telling whether it will increase or decrease.
(c) It sometimes increases, even when it isn't handled well.
(d) It often decreases in spite of being handled well.
2. What is discussed regarding Diotima in Chapter 93?
(a) Her mentoring of Clarissa.
(b) The liking she has taken to Ulrich.
(c) Her inappropriate relationship with Arnheim.
(d) The fact that her relationship with Arnheim has remained completely nonsexual.
3. What example does the author use in Chapter 74 to describe the power of natural forces?
(a) The unstoppable power of tornadoes and hurricanes.
(b) The Moon's effect on the tides.
(c) The way some animals mate for life.
(d) The Moon's orbit around the Earth.
4. Who visits Diotima in Chapter 75?
(a) A general.
(b) A politician.
(c) A policeman.
(d) A lawyer.
5. What mistaken idea does Arnheim possess in Chapter 92?
(a) He could continue to associate with the same people even if he were not rich.
(b) That people are interested in him as a person and not in his wealth.
(c) Diotima values him only for his wealth and financial contributions to her cause.
(d) It is his wealth that impresses people and not his personal qualities.
6. What is the general rule stated in Chapter 92, regarding people with ideas?
(a) The people with ideas are often reluctant to allow others to execute those ideas for them.
(b) There are more people with ideas than there are people who can execute those ideas.
(c) There are more people who can execute ideas than there are people with ideas.
(d) There are plenty of people who can execute ideas, but only a few can do it well.
7. The author suggests in Chapter 77 that an ancient philosopher could do what?
(a) Go to a newspaper and prove his identity to the editors.
(b) Host his own salon.
(c) Discuss political strategy with world leaders.
(d) Change the worldview of the most influential people.
8. According to the author in Chapter 92, what belief is commonly held by rich people?
(a) That money has no real value, and a person's life can't be measured by it.
(b) That being rich is not as much of a privilege as poor people
(c) That families who have been rich for generations are somehow better than those who just came into money.
(d) That poor people are poor because they are lazy.
9. How does the author describe Clarisse?
(a) A conservative patriot.
(b) Attractive, but not particularly intelligent.
(c) A sexy intellectual.
(d) Intelligent, but not particularly attractive.
10. What was the General's attitude toward his job as time went on?
(a) He became disillusioned with the reality of military life.
(b) He still enjoyed his work and cared a great deal about his performance.
(c) He became hungry for power as time went on.
(d) He held on to it, not out of any real interest, but for the sake of job security.
11. What might be the result if the philosopher mentioned in Chapter 77 were to do what the author suggests?
(a) He would easily get a writing job.
(b) He would be able to change the course of history.
(c) He would usher in a new era of philosophy and politics.
(d) He would be laughed at.
12. Who is Moosbrugger?
(a) A businessman who was successful but has fallen on hard times.
(b) A prosperous businessman.
(c) A murderer.
(d) A hobo and a beggar.
13. Ulrich urges General Stumm to do what, in Chapter 84?
(a) Take the opportunity to invest in a new business.
(b) Not take thinking so seriously.
(c) Tell Diotima how he feels about her.
(d) Retire from his military career to pursue one that he enjoys.
14. Which German is mentioned in Chapter 96 as being one of the greats who arose from a class of prosperous tradesmen?
15. One of the Count's acquaintances is mentioned in Chapter 84 as supporting what type of establishment?
(a) An orphanage.
(b) A library.
(c) A hospital.
(d) A sanitarium.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Diotima described?
2. What is one of the main ideas brought into Diotima's circle of intellectuals in Chapter 89?
3. Who is Soliman?
4. Which countries does Diotima specifically dislike?
5. Of what nationality is Arnheim?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)