|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was difficult about Aunt Jane's life as she is introduced in Chapter 99?
(a) She raised her stepchildren after her husband abandoned them all.
(b) She was pregnant several times, but all ended in miscarriage.
(c) She attended functions with people she abhorred simply because it was her duty as a wife.
(d) She lost all her money but still tried to associate with people from her old circles.
2. What is mysterious about Diotima's invitation in Chapter 80?
(a) The writing looks as if it may not be hers.
(b) It was delivered by hand, instead of in the mail.
(c) It sounds more urgent than it should.
(d) It was originally addressed to someone else.
3. How is Diotima described?
(a) Intelligent and polite, but not very good-looking.
(b) Very good-looking, polite, and intelligent.
(c) Good-looking, but not very intelligent.
(d) Good-looking and intelligent, but arrogant and snobbish.
4. Who visits Diotima in Chapter 75?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A general.
(c) A politician.
(d) A policeman.
5. In Chapter 81, how often does Ulrich meet with Count Leinsdorf?
(a) Twice a week.
(b) Once a month.
(c) Once a week.
(d) Three times a week.
6. What relationship is mentioned by the author in Chapter 96?
(a) The relationship between jealousy and insecurity.
(b) The relationship between science and the Church.
(c) The relationship between science and emotion.
(d) The relationship between church and state.
7. What approach does the individual funding the project in Chapter 84 choose not to employ?
(a) Asking aristocrats for charitable donations.
(b) Using his involvement in the project to boost his political career.
(c) Funding the project with all of his own money.
(d) An interdenominational establishment.
8. In Chapter 85, the General expresses to Ulrich his disappointment in what?
(a) The recent lack of advancement in his career.
(b) Ulrich's choice of a wife.
(c) Ulrich's close association with the Count.
(d) Diotima's affection for Arnheim.
9. Why are rich people often troubled by other peoples' reaction to their wealth?
(a) They don't want other people to take advantage of them and steal their money.
(b) They don't understand the emphasis placed on material wealth by poor people.
(c) They want to be valued for reasons other than their wealth.
(d) They believe others should work for their money, not ask rich people to give it to them.
10. How was Diotima's invitation in Chapter 80 received?
(a) He didn't want to go, but felt obligated to.
(b) He was thrilled to receive it.
(c) He was intrigued by it.
(d) He didn't understand why it was sent.
11. According to the author in Chapter 92, what belief is commonly held by rich people?
(a) That money has no real value, and a person's life can't be measured by it.
(b) That families who have been rich for generations are somehow better than those who just came into money.
(c) That poor people are poor because they are lazy.
(d) That being rich is not as much of a privilege as poor people
12. According to the author in Chapter 85, how does Nature create unity?
(a) By combining opposites.
(b) By smoothing over differences.
(c) By creating specialized roles for everyone and everything.
(d) By creating all life from the same basic materials.
13. Which character from the previous volume is reintroduced in Chapter 74?
14. To whom is Gerda engaged?
15. Who is Count Leinsdorf?
(a) Gerda's brother-in-law.
(b) An acquaintance of Leo and Klementine.
(c) Ulrich's uncle.
(d) One of Diotima's best friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ulrich and Klementine discuss in Chapter 73?
2. What is Diotima's opinion of working life as stated in Chapter 93?
3. What is the Count's major source of wealth?
4. What question does Ulrich ask regarding Gerda's upcoming marriage in Chapter 73?
5. Arnheim mentions in Chapter 96 the importance of what?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)