|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Count Leinsdorf addressed?
(a) His Excellency.
(b) His Highness.
(c) His Lordship.
(d) His Majesty.
2. What question does Ulrich ask regarding Gerda's upcoming marriage in Chapter 73?
(a) Whether her fiance has much of a future.
(b) Whether they think she will be happy.
(c) Why she is getting married so young.
(d) What she hopes to gain from her union.
3. How is Diotima described?
(a) Good-looking and intelligent, but arrogant and snobbish.
(b) Good-looking, but not very intelligent.
(c) Intelligent and polite, but not very good-looking.
(d) Very good-looking, polite, and intelligent.
4. How does Diotima feel about adultery in Chapter 94?
(a) She has found herself seriously considering it.
(b) She wouldn't commit adultery herself, but understands why other women might.
(c) She has already committed adultery, and sees no problem with it.
(d) She is repulsed by it, and would never entertain the thought.
5. What was the topic of the letter that Clarisse wrote to Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 82?
(a) Allowing Ulrich to take advantage of the Count's political connections.
(b) Purchasing one of the Count's properties.
(c) Starting her own salon, with the Count's permission and funding.
(d) Creating a Nietzsche Year.
6. Which two people admit to liking Ulrich in Chapter 93?
(a) General Stumm and Permanent Secretary Tuzzi.
(b) Arnheim and Diotima.
(c) Arnheim and Permanent Secretary Tuzzi.
(d) General Stumm and Arnheim.
7. According to the author in Chapter 92, what belief is commonly held by rich people?
(a) That money has no real value, and a person's life can't be measured by it.
(b) That families who have been rich for generations are somehow better than those who just came into money.
(c) That being rich is not as much of a privilege as poor people
(d) That poor people are poor because they are lazy.
8. Arnheim has traveled extensively in what areas of the world?
(a) Europe and America.
(b) Africa and Asia.
(c) Europe and Asia.
(d) America and Australia.
9. What is one of the main ideas brought into Diotima's circle of intellectuals in Chapter 89?
10. The author claims that the General suffered from becoming repeatedly infatuated with what types of women?
(a) Promiscuous ones.
(b) Greedy ones.
(c) Attractive but unintelligent ones.
(d) Intimidating ones.
11. What does Clarisse realize about her husband in Chapter 97?
(a) She is afraid of him.
(b) He is no longer in love with her.
(c) He was never in love with her.
(d) He is afraid of her.
12. Which ancient philosopher is the topic of Chapter 77?
13. What is the collective title for Arnheim and Diotima's activities?
(a) The Aristocratic Collective.
(b) The Coalition of Concerned Intellectuals.
(c) The Collateral Campaign.
(d) The Creative Coalition.
14. What type of corporation does Arnheim's family own and run?
(a) A bank and lending facility.
(b) A shovel-making business.
(c) A collective of land-owners.
(d) A munitions manufacturing facility.
15. What is discussed regarding Diotima in Chapter 93?
(a) The liking she has taken to Ulrich.
(b) Her inappropriate relationship with Arnheim.
(c) The fact that her relationship with Arnheim has remained completely nonsexual.
(d) Her mentoring of Clarissa.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Arnheim explain to Diotima in Chapter 76?
2. With whom does Soliman fall in love in Chapter 79?
3. According to Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 81 what concept is not useful to humanity?
4. How is the importance of a book determined, according to the author?
5. According to the information given in Chapter 96, what creates a calm temperament?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)