|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What mistaken idea does Arnheim possess in Chapter 92?
(a) That people are interested in him as a person and not in his wealth.
(b) It is his wealth that impresses people and not his personal qualities.
(c) He could continue to associate with the same people even if he were not rich.
(d) Diotima values him only for his wealth and financial contributions to her cause.
2. Who is Moosbrugger?
(a) A hobo and a beggar.
(b) A prosperous businessman.
(c) A businessman who was successful but has fallen on hard times.
(d) A murderer.
3. What is the collective title for Arnheim and Diotima's activities?
(a) The Collateral Campaign.
(b) The Aristocratic Collective.
(c) The Creative Coalition.
(d) The Coalition of Concerned Intellectuals.
4. What was the General's attitude toward his job as time went on?
(a) He held on to it, not out of any real interest, but for the sake of job security.
(b) He still enjoyed his work and cared a great deal about his performance.
(c) He became hungry for power as time went on.
(d) He became disillusioned with the reality of military life.
5. When did Arnheim do the majority of his traveling?
(a) During World War II.
(b) Before World War I.
(c) After World War I.
(d) During World War I.
6. What example does the author use in Chapter 74 to describe the power of natural forces?
(a) The Moon's effect on the tides.
(b) The way some animals mate for life.
(c) The Moon's orbit around the Earth.
(d) The unstoppable power of tornadoes and hurricanes.
7. Which ancient philosopher is the topic of Chapter 77?
8. What did Arnheim say in Chapter 94, which made Diotima realize her feelings for him?
(a) He conveyed to her his depth of feeling for her husband and how he valued their friendship.
(b) He told her about his decision to fund the orphanage with his own money.
(c) He flattered her immensely and told her that of all her virtues her intellect was the most valuable.
(d) He talked about the perception of reality and how the concept should be abolished.
9. Which countries does Diotima specifically dislike?
(a) Austria and Denmark.
(b) Austria and Germany.
(c) Germany and Austria.
(d) Prussia and Germany.
10. According to Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 81 what concept is not useful to humanity?
(b) Ideological politics.
(d) Practical politics.
11. What type of corporation does Arnheim's family own and run?
(a) A collective of land-owners.
(b) A bank and lending facility.
(c) A shovel-making business.
(d) A munitions manufacturing facility.
12. What effect does Arnheim's family business have on his relationship with General Stumm in Chapter 89?
(a) It makes them respect but still distrust one another.
(b) It leads them to realize that they have some surprising things in common.
(c) It has no effect on their relationship.
(d) It creates an even greater rift between them.
13. How old is Gerda?
14. How does the author describe Clarisse?
(a) Attractive, but not particularly intelligent.
(b) A sexy intellectual.
(c) A conservative patriot.
(d) Intelligent, but not particularly attractive.
15. Ulrich urges General Stumm to do what, in Chapter 84?
(a) Take the opportunity to invest in a new business.
(b) Not take thinking so seriously.
(c) Retire from his military career to pursue one that he enjoys.
(d) Tell Diotima how he feels about her.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 85, the General expresses to Ulrich his disappointment in what?
2. What is mysterious about Diotima's invitation in Chapter 80?
3. Which German is mentioned in Chapter 96 as being one of the greats who arose from a class of prosperous tradesmen?
4. How are Arnheim and Diotima's activities viewed in Chapter 89?
5. What is the Count's major source of wealth?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)