|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Gerda?
2. Arnheim has traveled extensively in what areas of the world?
(a) Africa and Asia.
(b) Europe and Asia.
(c) America and Australia.
(d) Europe and America.
3. How is the importance of a book determined, according to the author?
(a) By its impact on popular culture.
(b) By its sales.
(c) By the popularity of its writer.
(d) By its critical reviews.
4. According to Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 81 what concept is not useful to humanity?
(a) Ideological politics.
(d) Practical politics.
5. How did Diotima feel when the individual who received the invitation in Chapter 80 arrived at her home?
6. What question does Ulrich ask regarding Gerda's upcoming marriage in Chapter 73?
(a) Whether her fiance has much of a future.
(b) What she hopes to gain from her union.
(c) Whether they think she will be happy.
(d) Why she is getting married so young.
7. How was Diotima's invitation in Chapter 80 received?
(a) He was intrigued by it.
(b) He didn't understand why it was sent.
(c) He was thrilled to receive it.
(d) He didn't want to go, but felt obligated to.
8. According to the author in Chapter 92, what belief is commonly held by rich people?
(a) That money has no real value, and a person's life can't be measured by it.
(b) That being rich is not as much of a privilege as poor people
(c) That poor people are poor because they are lazy.
(d) That families who have been rich for generations are somehow better than those who just came into money.
9. What is mysterious about Diotima's invitation in Chapter 80?
(a) It sounds more urgent than it should.
(b) It was delivered by hand, instead of in the mail.
(c) It was originally addressed to someone else.
(d) The writing looks as if it may not be hers.
10. According to the author in Chapter 85, how does Nature create unity?
(a) By combining opposites.
(b) By creating specialized roles for everyone and everything.
(c) By creating all life from the same basic materials.
(d) By smoothing over differences.
11. What mistaken idea does Arnheim possess in Chapter 92?
(a) Diotima values him only for his wealth and financial contributions to her cause.
(b) He could continue to associate with the same people even if he were not rich.
(c) That people are interested in him as a person and not in his wealth.
(d) It is his wealth that impresses people and not his personal qualities.
12. What is the General's response to Ulrich's assertion that he values intellect too highly in Chapter 85?
(a) He is accustomed to being around intellectuals, so stupid people bore him.
(b) He values intellect only when it is combined with other virtues.
(c) He doesn't value intellect more than anyone else, but he appreciates it more.
(d) He has found too much anti-intellectualism in the soldiers' mess halls over the years.
13. What is discussed regarding Diotima in Chapter 93?
(a) Her inappropriate relationship with Arnheim.
(b) The fact that her relationship with Arnheim has remained completely nonsexual.
(c) The liking she has taken to Ulrich.
(d) Her mentoring of Clarissa.
14. Who are Gerda's parents?
(a) Ulrich and Klementine.
(b) Hans and Diotima.
(c) Leo and Klementine.
(d) Ulrich and Diotima.
15. Which character from the previous volume is reintroduced in Chapter 74?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which countries does Diotima specifically dislike?
2. Of what nationality is Arnheim?
3. In Chapter 85, the General expresses to Ulrich his disappointment in what?
4. What does Arnheim end up doing in Chapter 86?
5. Who visits Diotima in Chapter 75?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)