|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the author describe Clarisse?
(a) Intelligent, but not particularly attractive.
(b) A conservative patriot.
(c) A sexy intellectual.
(d) Attractive, but not particularly intelligent.
2. What happens when a book becomes important enough, according to the author?
(a) It is referenced in other literary works.
(b) It goes into the canon of literary classics.
(c) It is deemed worthy of certain kinds of attention.
(d) It becomes a best-seller.
3. What artistic movement was often criticized by Diotima's group?
4. What type of corporation does Arnheim's family own and run?
(a) A shovel-making business.
(b) A munitions manufacturing facility.
(c) A collective of land-owners.
(d) A bank and lending facility.
5. How old is Gerda?
6. According to the author in Chapter 92, what belief is commonly held by rich people?
(a) That being rich is not as much of a privilege as poor people
(b) That families who have been rich for generations are somehow better than those who just came into money.
(c) That poor people are poor because they are lazy.
(d) That money has no real value, and a person's life can't be measured by it.
7. What does Clarisse think is the main difference between the two men she compares in Chapter 97?
(a) One is successful, and the other is not.
(b) One is in love with her, and the other is not.
(c) One is musical, and the other is not.
(d) One is compassionate, and the other is not.
8. Which two people admit to liking Ulrich in Chapter 93?
(a) Arnheim and Permanent Secretary Tuzzi.
(b) General Stumm and Arnheim.
(c) Arnheim and Diotima.
(d) General Stumm and Permanent Secretary Tuzzi.
9. Who are Gerda's parents?
(a) Ulrich and Klementine.
(b) Ulrich and Diotima.
(c) Leo and Klementine.
(d) Hans and Diotima.
10. What is Ulrich's relationship with Gerda, as described in Chapter 74?
(a) They were once in love but had fallen out of love.
(b) They were close and sometimes intimate.
(c) They were close but had never fallen in love.
(d) They were merely acquaintances.
11. What does Ulrich begin to suspect in Chapter 91?
(a) There is some reason why Diotima's husband is so tolerant of her affection for Arnheim.
(b) General Stumm is planning to murder Arnheim.
(c) Count Leinsdorf is beginning to fall for Diotima as well.
(d) Arnheim and Diotima are secretly having an affair.
12. What question regarding businessmen does Arnheim explore in Chapter 96?
(a) What businesses are the most profitable.
(b) What effect their careers have on their family lives.
(c) What makes them successful.
(d) Where most businessmen choose to reside, and why.
13. What is Ulrich doing in Chapter 84 as part of his service to the Count?
(a) Caring for the Count's garden.
(b) Cleaning the Count's house.
(c) Tending to the Count's stables.
(d) Sorting a pile of mail.
14. According to Arnheim in Chapter 92, what group of people frequently gave him the most trouble?
(a) The wealthy.
(b) The poor.
(c) The intelligentsia.
(d) People who suddenly came into great quantities of money.
15. How is the importance of a book determined, according to the author?
(a) By its impact on popular culture.
(b) By its sales.
(c) By its critical reviews.
(d) By the popularity of its writer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the collective title for Arnheim and Diotima's activities?
2. What is the general rule stated in Chapter 92, regarding people with ideas?
3. Why was the General promoted to staff officer?
4. Who is Soliman?
5. The author suggests in Chapter 77 that an ancient philosopher could do what?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)