|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What question does Ulrich ask regarding Gerda's upcoming marriage in Chapter 73?
(a) Whether they think she will be happy.
(b) Whether her fiance has much of a future.
(c) Why she is getting married so young.
(d) What she hopes to gain from her union.
2. What is one of the main ideas brought into Diotima's circle of intellectuals in Chapter 89?
3. What mistaken idea does Arnheim possess in Chapter 92?
(a) It is his wealth that impresses people and not his personal qualities.
(b) Diotima values him only for his wealth and financial contributions to her cause.
(c) That people are interested in him as a person and not in his wealth.
(d) He could continue to associate with the same people even if he were not rich.
4. What is mysterious about Diotima's invitation in Chapter 80?
(a) It sounds more urgent than it should.
(b) The writing looks as if it may not be hers.
(c) It was originally addressed to someone else.
(d) It was delivered by hand, instead of in the mail.
5. What is the collective title for Arnheim and Diotima's activities?
(a) The Creative Coalition.
(b) The Collateral Campaign.
(c) The Coalition of Concerned Intellectuals.
(d) The Aristocratic Collective.
6. What example does the author use in Chapter 74 to describe the power of natural forces?
(a) The way some animals mate for life.
(b) The Moon's effect on the tides.
(c) The Moon's orbit around the Earth.
(d) The unstoppable power of tornadoes and hurricanes.
7. To whom is Gerda engaged?
8. According to the author in Chapter 92, what belief is commonly held by rich people?
(a) That poor people are poor because they are lazy.
(b) That money has no real value, and a person's life can't be measured by it.
(c) That being rich is not as much of a privilege as poor people
(d) That families who have been rich for generations are somehow better than those who just came into money.
9. What artistic movement was often criticized by Diotima's group?
10. Which individual is mentioned as being one of the author's influences in Chapter 91?
(a) Immanuel Kant.
(b) Niccolo Machiavelli.
(c) Josef Stalin.
(d) Charles Dickens.
11. Who are Gerda's parents?
(a) Leo and Klementine.
(b) Hans and Diotima.
(c) Ulrich and Diotima.
(d) Ulrich and Klementine.
12. What does Clarisse realize about her husband in Chapter 97?
(a) He was never in love with her.
(b) She is afraid of him.
(c) He is no longer in love with her.
(d) He is afraid of her.
13. Why are rich people often troubled by other peoples' reaction to their wealth?
(a) They don't understand the emphasis placed on material wealth by poor people.
(b) They believe others should work for their money, not ask rich people to give it to them.
(c) They don't want other people to take advantage of them and steal their money.
(d) They want to be valued for reasons other than their wealth.
14. What is Ulrich doing in Chapter 84 as part of his service to the Count?
(a) Caring for the Count's garden.
(b) Sorting a pile of mail.
(c) Cleaning the Count's house.
(d) Tending to the Count's stables.
15. What does Clarisse think is the main difference between the two men she compares in Chapter 97?
(a) One is in love with her, and the other is not.
(b) One is musical, and the other is not.
(c) One is compassionate, and the other is not.
(d) One is successful, and the other is not.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Arnheim say in Chapter 94, which made Diotima realize her feelings for him?
2. Which countries does Diotima specifically dislike?
3. What is the General's response to Ulrich's assertion that he values intellect too highly in Chapter 85?
4. What is the Count's major source of wealth?
5. What important concept is introduced in Chapter 99?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)