|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Arnheim say in Chapter 94, which made Diotima realize her feelings for him?
(a) He told her about his decision to fund the orphanage with his own money.
(b) He conveyed to her his depth of feeling for her husband and how he valued their friendship.
(c) He talked about the perception of reality and how the concept should be abolished.
(d) He flattered her immensely and told her that of all her virtues her intellect was the most valuable.
2. Arnheim has traveled extensively in what areas of the world?
(a) Africa and Asia.
(b) Europe and Asia.
(c) America and Australia.
(d) Europe and America.
3. In Chapter 85, the General expresses to Ulrich his disappointment in what?
(a) Ulrich's choice of a wife.
(b) Diotima's affection for Arnheim.
(c) Ulrich's close association with the Count.
(d) The recent lack of advancement in his career.
4. With whom does Soliman fall in love in Chapter 79?
5. What is Ulrich doing in Chapter 84 as part of his service to the Count?
(a) Cleaning the Count's house.
(b) Tending to the Count's stables.
(c) Sorting a pile of mail.
(d) Caring for the Count's garden.
6. Who becomes infatuated with Diotima in Chapter 85?
(a) General Stumm.
(c) Count Leinsdorf.
7. Which two people admit to liking Ulrich in Chapter 93?
(a) Arnheim and Permanent Secretary Tuzzi.
(b) General Stumm and Permanent Secretary Tuzzi.
(c) General Stumm and Arnheim.
(d) Arnheim and Diotima.
8. How does Ulrich accidentally address the General, in Chapter 85?
(c) "Your Highness."
9. What is Klementine's reaction to the topic Ulrich introduces in Chapter 73?
(a) She dislikes it but doesn't get particularly worked up about it.
(b) She doesn't know how she feels about it.
(c) She is anxiously hoping it will come to pass.
(d) She is too timid to express an opinion.
10. What effect does Arnheim's family business have on his relationship with General Stumm in Chapter 89?
(a) It has no effect on their relationship.
(b) It makes them respect but still distrust one another.
(c) It creates an even greater rift between them.
(d) It leads them to realize that they have some surprising things in common.
11. Which individual is mentioned as being one of the author's influences in Chapter 91?
(a) Charles Dickens.
(b) Immanuel Kant.
(c) Niccolo Machiavelli.
(d) Josef Stalin.
12. Who are Gerda's parents?
(a) Ulrich and Klementine.
(b) Hans and Diotima.
(c) Ulrich and Diotima.
(d) Leo and Klementine.
13. Who is Moosbrugger?
(a) A prosperous businessman.
(b) A murderer.
(c) A hobo and a beggar.
(d) A businessman who was successful but has fallen on hard times.
14. To what type of individual does the author compare the General to describe his attitude toward his work?
(a) A young man who inherits his father's business.
(b) A field laborer who knows no other work.
(c) A well-supported wife of twenty or thirty years.
(d) An ambitious politician.
15. How does Diotima feel about adultery in Chapter 94?
(a) She has already committed adultery, and sees no problem with it.
(b) She has found herself seriously considering it.
(c) She wouldn't commit adultery herself, but understands why other women might.
(d) She is repulsed by it, and would never entertain the thought.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when a book becomes important enough, according to the author?
2. Who receives an invitation from Diotima in Chapter 80?
3. According to the information given in Chapter 96, what creates a calm temperament?
4. What is one of the main ideas brought into Diotima's circle of intellectuals in Chapter 89?
5. What relationship does Arnheim use as an example to illustrate the importance of the concept he brings up in Chapter 96?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)