|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Diotima discuss with Arnheim in Chapter 76?
(b) Her husband's political future.
(c) The Count's marital situation.
(d) Her complaints about the Count.
2. What relationship is mentioned by the author in Chapter 96?
(a) The relationship between jealousy and insecurity.
(b) The relationship between science and emotion.
(c) The relationship between science and the Church.
(d) The relationship between church and state.
3. What was difficult about Aunt Jane's life as she is introduced in Chapter 99?
(a) She attended functions with people she abhorred simply because it was her duty as a wife.
(b) She was pregnant several times, but all ended in miscarriage.
(c) She raised her stepchildren after her husband abandoned them all.
(d) She lost all her money but still tried to associate with people from her old circles.
4. Arnheim mentions in Chapter 96 the importance of what?
5. What question regarding businessmen does Arnheim explore in Chapter 96?
(a) Where most businessmen choose to reside, and why.
(b) What makes them successful.
(c) What effect their careers have on their family lives.
(d) What businesses are the most profitable.
6. What is one of the main ideas brought into Diotima's circle of intellectuals in Chapter 89?
7. How did Diotima feel when the individual who received the invitation in Chapter 80 arrived at her home?
8. To what type of individual does the author compare the General to describe his attitude toward his work?
(a) A well-supported wife of twenty or thirty years.
(b) A young man who inherits his father's business.
(c) A field laborer who knows no other work.
(d) An ambitious politician.
9. Which countries does Diotima specifically dislike?
(a) Germany and Austria.
(b) Austria and Germany.
(c) Prussia and Germany.
(d) Austria and Denmark.
10. Ulrich urges General Stumm to do what, in Chapter 84?
(a) Not take thinking so seriously.
(b) Take the opportunity to invest in a new business.
(c) Tell Diotima how he feels about her.
(d) Retire from his military career to pursue one that he enjoys.
11. Who is Count Leinsdorf?
(a) One of Diotima's best friends.
(b) Ulrich's uncle.
(c) An acquaintance of Leo and Klementine.
(d) Gerda's brother-in-law.
12. How are Arnheim and Diotima's activities viewed in Chapter 89?
(a) They are viewed as appropriate and effective.
(b) They are viewed as being unintentionally presumptuous.
(c) They are looked down upon by the higher classes.
(d) They are resented by the lower classes.
13. Why is there a conflict between Walter and Ulrich, according to Clarisse?
(a) Ulrich is jealous of Walter's wealth.
(b) Walter is jealous of Ulrich's success.
(c) Walter is in love with Clarisse.
(d) Walter wants to be the Count's favorite.
14. What artistic movement was often criticized by Diotima's group?
15. What is the General's response to Ulrich's assertion that he values intellect too highly in Chapter 85?
(a) He doesn't value intellect more than anyone else, but he appreciates it more.
(b) He has found too much anti-intellectualism in the soldiers' mess halls over the years.
(c) He is accustomed to being around intellectuals, so stupid people bore him.
(d) He values intellect only when it is combined with other virtues.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Soliman fall in love in Chapter 79?
2. According to the author, what would have been the best course of action for Arnheim in Chapter 86?
3. Why are rich people often troubled by other peoples' reaction to their wealth?
4. What does Arnheim end up doing in Chapter 86?
5. The author suggests in Chapter 77 that an ancient philosopher could do what?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)