|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are Arnheim and Diotima's activities viewed in Chapter 89?
(a) They are resented by the lower classes.
(b) They are viewed as being unintentionally presumptuous.
(c) They are looked down upon by the higher classes.
(d) They are viewed as appropriate and effective.
2. How does Diotima feel about adultery in Chapter 94?
(a) She has found herself seriously considering it.
(b) She has already committed adultery, and sees no problem with it.
(c) She wouldn't commit adultery herself, but understands why other women might.
(d) She is repulsed by it, and would never entertain the thought.
3. How is Diotima described?
(a) Good-looking and intelligent, but arrogant and snobbish.
(b) Good-looking, but not very intelligent.
(c) Very good-looking, polite, and intelligent.
(d) Intelligent and polite, but not very good-looking.
4. According to Arnheim in Chapter 92, what group of people frequently gave him the most trouble?
(a) The poor.
(b) The wealthy.
(c) People who suddenly came into great quantities of money.
(d) The intelligentsia.
5. Ulrich urges General Stumm to do what, in Chapter 84?
(a) Not take thinking so seriously.
(b) Take the opportunity to invest in a new business.
(c) Retire from his military career to pursue one that he enjoys.
(d) Tell Diotima how he feels about her.
6. How was Diotima's invitation in Chapter 80 received?
(a) He was thrilled to receive it.
(b) He didn't want to go, but felt obligated to.
(c) He was intrigued by it.
(d) He didn't understand why it was sent.
7. How does the author describe Clarisse?
(a) A sexy intellectual.
(b) Intelligent, but not particularly attractive.
(c) Attractive, but not particularly intelligent.
(d) A conservative patriot.
8. According to the author, why are some writers' situations strange?
(a) They think their art is great, when others don't.
(b) They are unable to relate to others.
(c) They have been too far removed from the outside world.
(d) Their brains work differently than other peoples' do.
9. What is discussed regarding Diotima in Chapter 93?
(a) Her mentoring of Clarissa.
(b) Her inappropriate relationship with Arnheim.
(c) The liking she has taken to Ulrich.
(d) The fact that her relationship with Arnheim has remained completely nonsexual.
10. Which two people admit to liking Ulrich in Chapter 93?
(a) Arnheim and Diotima.
(b) General Stumm and Arnheim.
(c) Arnheim and Permanent Secretary Tuzzi.
(d) General Stumm and Permanent Secretary Tuzzi.
11. What is the Count's major source of wealth?
(a) Stocks and bonds.
(b) An inheritance.
(c) Slave labor.
(d) Land ownership.
12. How did Diotima feel when the individual who received the invitation in Chapter 80 arrived at her home?
13. Clarisse compares Moosbrugger to "the man without" what?
14. Who is Soliman?
(a) An African businessman, working in Austria.
(b) Diotima's nephew.
(c) A poor enslaved boy, who is lucky enough to work for a very wealthy family.
(d) An African boy who was adopted by an Austrian family.
15. To whom is Gerda engaged?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ulrich's relationship with Gerda, as described in Chapter 74?
2. The author suggests in Chapter 77 that an ancient philosopher could do what?
3. What was the topic of the letter that Clarisse wrote to Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 82?
4. Which countries does Diotima specifically dislike?
5. According to the information presented in Chapter 92, what does money do?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)