|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Diotima feel when the individual who received the invitation in Chapter 80 arrived at her home?
2. Who visits Diotima in Chapter 75?
(a) A politician.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A general.
(d) A policeman.
3. What does Clarisse realize about her husband in Chapter 97?
(a) He is afraid of her.
(b) She is afraid of him.
(c) He is no longer in love with her.
(d) He was never in love with her.
4. Why was the General promoted to staff officer?
(a) The others had noticed he was something of a philosopher.
(b) He went above and beyond the call of duty.
(c) He showed himself to be extremely dedicated and patriotic.
(d) He had military connections.
5. According to the author, what would have been the best course of action for Arnheim in Chapter 86?
(a) To choose not to involve himself in Diotima's acquaintance with the General.
(b) To stop visiting Diotima and stay away from her.
(c) To make it clear to the General that he was Diotima's first choice.
(d) To maintain only a casual acquaintance with Diotima.
6. Arnheim mentions in Chapter 96 the importance of what?
7. Which ancient philosopher is the topic of Chapter 77?
8. Clarisse compares Moosbrugger to "the man without" what?
9. What was difficult about Aunt Jane's life as she is introduced in Chapter 99?
(a) She raised her stepchildren after her husband abandoned them all.
(b) She lost all her money but still tried to associate with people from her old circles.
(c) She attended functions with people she abhorred simply because it was her duty as a wife.
(d) She was pregnant several times, but all ended in miscarriage.
10. What is mysterious about Diotima's invitation in Chapter 80?
(a) It sounds more urgent than it should.
(b) It was delivered by hand, instead of in the mail.
(c) The writing looks as if it may not be hers.
(d) It was originally addressed to someone else.
11. What did Arnheim explain to Diotima in Chapter 76?
(a) Diotima's husband can't better his position without the Count's blessings.
(b) Some of the Count's characteristics are a natural byproduct of his status.
(c) The Count is severely opposed to anti-Semitism and actively works against it.
(d) Diotima doesn't have the social stature to question the Count.
12. What was the General's attitude toward his job as time went on?
(a) He held on to it, not out of any real interest, but for the sake of job security.
(b) He became disillusioned with the reality of military life.
(c) He still enjoyed his work and cared a great deal about his performance.
(d) He became hungry for power as time went on.
13. Who is Moosbrugger?
(a) A businessman who was successful but has fallen on hard times.
(b) A hobo and a beggar.
(c) A murderer.
(d) A prosperous businessman.
14. According to Arnheim in Chapter 92, what group of people frequently gave him the most trouble?
(a) The intelligentsia.
(b) People who suddenly came into great quantities of money.
(c) The wealthy.
(d) The poor.
15. What example does the author use in Chapter 74 to describe the power of natural forces?
(a) The unstoppable power of tornadoes and hurricanes.
(b) The Moon's orbit around the Earth.
(c) The Moon's effect on the tides.
(d) The way some animals mate for life.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which countries does Diotima specifically dislike?
2. According to the author in Chapter 92, what belief is commonly held by rich people?
3. What did Diotima discuss with Arnheim in Chapter 76?
4. Which character from the previous volume is reintroduced in Chapter 74?
5. To whom is Gerda engaged?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)