|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What artistic movement was often criticized by Diotima's group?
2. How does Ulrich accidentally address the General, in Chapter 85?
(b) "Your Highness."
3. According to Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 81 what concept is not useful to humanity?
(a) Ideological politics.
(b) Practical politics.
4. Ulrich urges General Stumm to do what, in Chapter 84?
(a) Retire from his military career to pursue one that he enjoys.
(b) Take the opportunity to invest in a new business.
(c) Tell Diotima how he feels about her.
(d) Not take thinking so seriously.
5. Which individual is mentioned as being one of the author's influences in Chapter 91?
(a) Charles Dickens.
(b) Immanuel Kant.
(c) Josef Stalin.
(d) Niccolo Machiavelli.
6. What relationship is mentioned by the author in Chapter 96?
(a) The relationship between science and emotion.
(b) The relationship between jealousy and insecurity.
(c) The relationship between church and state.
(d) The relationship between science and the Church.
7. According to the author, why are some writers' situations strange?
(a) Their brains work differently than other peoples' do.
(b) They have been too far removed from the outside world.
(c) They are unable to relate to others.
(d) They think their art is great, when others don't.
8. The author claims that the General suffered from becoming repeatedly infatuated with what types of women?
(a) Intimidating ones.
(b) Promiscuous ones.
(c) Attractive but unintelligent ones.
(d) Greedy ones.
9. Arnheim has traveled extensively in what areas of the world?
(a) America and Australia.
(b) Africa and Asia.
(c) Europe and Asia.
(d) Europe and America.
10. Who becomes infatuated with Diotima in Chapter 85?
(a) Count Leinsdorf.
(d) General Stumm.
11. According to the author in Chapter 85, how does Nature create unity?
(a) By combining opposites.
(b) By creating specialized roles for everyone and everything.
(c) By smoothing over differences.
(d) By creating all life from the same basic materials.
12. What is Diotima's opinion of working life as stated in Chapter 93?
(a) It can wipe out someone's personality unless it is so well suited to them that they identify with it.
(b) It builds an individual's character, and as such it is an extremely valuable experience.
(c) It is a necessary evil for many, which the rich are happy to avoid.
(d) She declines to give an opinion of working life because she has never experienced it.
13. What did Diotima discuss with Arnheim in Chapter 76?
(b) Her husband's political future.
(c) Her complaints about the Count.
(d) The Count's marital situation.
14. Who is Soliman?
(a) An African businessman, working in Austria.
(b) A poor enslaved boy, who is lucky enough to work for a very wealthy family.
(c) An African boy who was adopted by an Austrian family.
(d) Diotima's nephew.
15. What is discussed regarding Diotima in Chapter 93?
(a) The fact that her relationship with Arnheim has remained completely nonsexual.
(b) Her mentoring of Clarissa.
(c) The liking she has taken to Ulrich.
(d) Her inappropriate relationship with Arnheim.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Diotima described?
2. How was Diotima's invitation in Chapter 80 received?
3. How did Diotima feel when the individual who received the invitation in Chapter 80 arrived at her home?
4. According to the author in Chapter 92, what belief is commonly held by rich people?
5. What important concept is introduced in Chapter 99?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)