|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is mysterious about Diotima's invitation in Chapter 80?
(a) It was delivered by hand, instead of in the mail.
(b) It sounds more urgent than it should.
(c) It was originally addressed to someone else.
(d) The writing looks as if it may not be hers.
2. The author claims that the General suffered from becoming repeatedly infatuated with what types of women?
(a) Intimidating ones.
(b) Greedy ones.
(c) Promiscuous ones.
(d) Attractive but unintelligent ones.
3. How old is Gerda?
4. Who receives an invitation from Diotima in Chapter 80?
(a) A lesser general.
(b) The Czar.
(c) A local politician.
(d) The Permanent Secretary.
5. Why are rich people often troubled by other peoples' reaction to their wealth?
(a) They believe others should work for their money, not ask rich people to give it to them.
(b) They want to be valued for reasons other than their wealth.
(c) They don't understand the emphasis placed on material wealth by poor people.
(d) They don't want other people to take advantage of them and steal their money.
6. Who is Count Leinsdorf?
(a) An acquaintance of Leo and Klementine.
(b) One of Diotima's best friends.
(c) Gerda's brother-in-law.
(d) Ulrich's uncle.
7. Which character from the previous volume is reintroduced in Chapter 74?
8. In Chapter 85, the General expresses to Ulrich his disappointment in what?
(a) Ulrich's close association with the Count.
(b) Ulrich's choice of a wife.
(c) Diotima's affection for Arnheim.
(d) The recent lack of advancement in his career.
9. How does Ulrich accidentally address the General, in Chapter 85?
(d) "Your Highness."
10. How is the importance of a book determined, according to the author?
(a) By its impact on popular culture.
(b) By its sales.
(c) By its critical reviews.
(d) By the popularity of its writer.
11. According to the author in Chapter 92, what belief is commonly held by rich people?
(a) That being rich is not as much of a privilege as poor people
(b) That families who have been rich for generations are somehow better than those who just came into money.
(c) That money has no real value, and a person's life can't be measured by it.
(d) That poor people are poor because they are lazy.
12. How did Diotima feel when the individual who received the invitation in Chapter 80 arrived at her home?
13. How are Arnheim and Diotima's activities viewed in Chapter 89?
(a) They are viewed as being unintentionally presumptuous.
(b) They are looked down upon by the higher classes.
(c) They are resented by the lower classes.
(d) They are viewed as appropriate and effective.
14. To whom is Gerda engaged?
15. What was the topic of the letter that Clarisse wrote to Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 82?
(a) Creating a Nietzsche Year.
(b) Purchasing one of the Count's properties.
(c) Allowing Ulrich to take advantage of the Count's political connections.
(d) Starting her own salon, with the Count's permission and funding.
Short Answer Questions
1. Arnheim has traveled extensively in what areas of the world?
2. What artistic movement was often criticized by Diotima's group?
3. What is the collective title for Arnheim and Diotima's activities?
4. Who becomes infatuated with Diotima in Chapter 85?
5. Who is Soliman?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)