|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What might be the result if the philosopher mentioned in Chapter 77 were to do what the author suggests?
(a) He would usher in a new era of philosophy and politics.
(b) He would be able to change the course of history.
(c) He would be laughed at.
(d) He would easily get a writing job.
2. Of what nationality is Arnheim?
3. Which character from the previous volume is reintroduced in Chapter 74?
4. What does Clarisse realize about her husband in Chapter 97?
(a) He is no longer in love with her.
(b) He is afraid of her.
(c) He was never in love with her.
(d) She is afraid of him.
5. With whom does Soliman fall in love in Chapter 79?
6. Ulrich urges General Stumm to do what, in Chapter 84?
(a) Tell Diotima how he feels about her.
(b) Not take thinking so seriously.
(c) Retire from his military career to pursue one that he enjoys.
(d) Take the opportunity to invest in a new business.
7. What was the topic of the letter that Clarisse wrote to Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 82?
(a) Purchasing one of the Count's properties.
(b) Allowing Ulrich to take advantage of the Count's political connections.
(c) Starting her own salon, with the Count's permission and funding.
(d) Creating a Nietzsche Year.
8. How is the importance of a book determined, according to the author?
(a) By the popularity of its writer.
(b) By its sales.
(c) By its impact on popular culture.
(d) By its critical reviews.
9. What question does Ulrich ask regarding Gerda's upcoming marriage in Chapter 73?
(a) Why she is getting married so young.
(b) Whether they think she will be happy.
(c) What she hopes to gain from her union.
(d) Whether her fiance has much of a future.
10. What relationship does Arnheim use as an example to illustrate the importance of the concept he brings up in Chapter 96?
(a) A horse and his rider.
(b) A boat and its captain.
(c) A house and its owner.
(d) A dog and his master.
11. How does Ulrich accidentally address the General, in Chapter 85?
(d) "Your Highness."
12. How is Diotima described?
(a) Good-looking, but not very intelligent.
(b) Intelligent and polite, but not very good-looking.
(c) Very good-looking, polite, and intelligent.
(d) Good-looking and intelligent, but arrogant and snobbish.
13. What is Ulrich doing in Chapter 84 as part of his service to the Count?
(a) Caring for the Count's garden.
(b) Tending to the Count's stables.
(c) Cleaning the Count's house.
(d) Sorting a pile of mail.
14. The author suggests in Chapter 77 that an ancient philosopher could do what?
(a) Discuss political strategy with world leaders.
(b) Host his own salon.
(c) Change the worldview of the most influential people.
(d) Go to a newspaper and prove his identity to the editors.
15. What is one of the main ideas brought into Diotima's circle of intellectuals in Chapter 89?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which individual is mentioned as being one of the author's influences in Chapter 91?
2. What was difficult about Aunt Jane's life as she is introduced in Chapter 99?
3. What example does the author use in Chapter 74 to describe the power of natural forces?
4. Which countries does Diotima specifically dislike?
5. According to the information presented in Chapter 92, what does money do?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)