|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are Arnheim and Diotima's activities viewed in Chapter 89?
(a) They are resented by the lower classes.
(b) They are viewed as being unintentionally presumptuous.
(c) They are looked down upon by the higher classes.
(d) They are viewed as appropriate and effective.
2. What was the topic of the letter that Clarisse wrote to Count Leinsdorf in Chapter 82?
(a) Starting her own salon, with the Count's permission and funding.
(b) Allowing Ulrich to take advantage of the Count's political connections.
(c) Creating a Nietzsche Year.
(d) Purchasing one of the Count's properties.
3. What effect does Arnheim's family business have on his relationship with General Stumm in Chapter 89?
(a) It has no effect on their relationship.
(b) It makes them respect but still distrust one another.
(c) It leads them to realize that they have some surprising things in common.
(d) It creates an even greater rift between them.
4. What was difficult about Aunt Jane's life as she is introduced in Chapter 99?
(a) She was pregnant several times, but all ended in miscarriage.
(b) She lost all her money but still tried to associate with people from her old circles.
(c) She attended functions with people she abhorred simply because it was her duty as a wife.
(d) She raised her stepchildren after her husband abandoned them all.
5. What is the Count's major source of wealth?
(a) Land ownership.
(b) Stocks and bonds.
(c) An inheritance.
(d) Slave labor.
6. What did Arnheim explain to Diotima in Chapter 76?
(a) Some of the Count's characteristics are a natural byproduct of his status.
(b) Diotima's husband can't better his position without the Count's blessings.
(c) Diotima doesn't have the social stature to question the Count.
(d) The Count is severely opposed to anti-Semitism and actively works against it.
7. According to the author, why are some writers' situations strange?
(a) They have been too far removed from the outside world.
(b) They think their art is great, when others don't.
(c) They are unable to relate to others.
(d) Their brains work differently than other peoples' do.
8. What did Arnheim say in Chapter 94, which made Diotima realize her feelings for him?
(a) He flattered her immensely and told her that of all her virtues her intellect was the most valuable.
(b) He talked about the perception of reality and how the concept should be abolished.
(c) He told her about his decision to fund the orphanage with his own money.
(d) He conveyed to her his depth of feeling for her husband and how he valued their friendship.
9. What is Diotima's opinion of working life as stated in Chapter 93?
(a) It can wipe out someone's personality unless it is so well suited to them that they identify with it.
(b) She declines to give an opinion of working life because she has never experienced it.
(c) It is a necessary evil for many, which the rich are happy to avoid.
(d) It builds an individual's character, and as such it is an extremely valuable experience.
10. Which individual is mentioned as being one of the author's influences in Chapter 91?
(a) Charles Dickens.
(b) Immanuel Kant.
(c) Niccolo Machiavelli.
(d) Josef Stalin.
11. Who is Moosbrugger?
(a) A businessman who was successful but has fallen on hard times.
(b) A murderer.
(c) A hobo and a beggar.
(d) A prosperous businessman.
12. What question regarding businessmen does Arnheim explore in Chapter 96?
(a) Where most businessmen choose to reside, and why.
(b) What makes them successful.
(c) What businesses are the most profitable.
(d) What effect their careers have on their family lives.
13. What relationship is mentioned by the author in Chapter 96?
(a) The relationship between jealousy and insecurity.
(b) The relationship between science and the Church.
(c) The relationship between church and state.
(d) The relationship between science and emotion.
14. According to the information given in Chapter 96, what creates a calm temperament?
(a) One tendency, which is peaceful because it has no competition.
(b) Two different tendencies, which are constantly battling but are evenly matched.
(c) One tendency, which is peaceful because it doesn't know anything else.
(d) Two different tendencies, which peacefully coexist.
15. Who becomes infatuated with Diotima in Chapter 85?
(b) General Stumm.
(d) Count Leinsdorf.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits Diotima in Chapter 75?
2. What is discussed regarding Diotima in Chapter 93?
3. According to the information presented in Chapter 92, what does money do?
4. Clarisse compares Moosbrugger to "the man without" what?
5. What type of corporation does Arnheim's family own and run?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)