|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15, Chapter 123.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is General Stumm's reason for recommending a certain author to Ulrich in Chapter 100?
(a) Many intellectuals with whom Stumm associated had read this author, and Ulrich needed to be able to discuss his works with them.
(b) The author's point of view was very different from Ulrich's, and General Stumm wanted him to consider the opposing viewpoint.
(c) The author explored the limitations of intellect and perception, something which Ulrich is interested in exploring.
(d) The author was a relative of General Stumm's, and he was trying to drum up business for him.
2. Ulrich notices in Chapter 122 that Arnheim refers to Goethe in what way?
(a) As someone who, Arnheim feels, represents the spirit of his campaign.
(b) As an example of a talented person who didn't know how to properly execute his ideas.
(c) As an example of a person who knew how to execute ideas, but who didn't have much talent.
(d) As an authority figure when Arnheim needs the support.
3. What author does General Stumm recommend to Ulrich in Chapter 100?
4. How is the importance of a book determined, according to the author?
(a) By its impact on popular culture.
(b) By its critical reviews.
(c) By the popularity of its writer.
(d) By its sales.
5. How did Gerda meet Hans Sepp?
(a) He was the brother of one of her good friends.
(b) He was an officer in the military, and she met him at a military function.
(c) He was a tutor hired by Gerda's father.
(d) He was one of Gerda's father's employees.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ulrich begin to suspect in Chapter 91?
2. According to the information presented in Chapter 92, what does money do?
3. Why are rich people often troubled by other peoples' reaction to their wealth?
4. What is Clarisse's response to the telegram Ulrich receives in Chapter 123?
5. According to the information given in Chapter 96, what creates a calm temperament?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)