|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Chapters 116 - 119.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author in Chapter 116, what is the main thing that is holding Ulrich back?
(a) His social status.
(b) He suppresses parts of his personality.
(c) He is not as intelligent as he tries to make people believe he is.
(d) His wife.
2. What is the General's response to Ulrich's assertion that he values intellect too highly in Chapter 85?
(a) He has found too much anti-intellectualism in the soldiers' mess halls over the years.
(b) He doesn't value intellect more than anyone else, but he appreciates it more.
(c) He is accustomed to being around intellectuals, so stupid people bore him.
(d) He values intellect only when it is combined with other virtues.
3. According to the author, what would have been the best course of action for Arnheim in Chapter 86?
(a) To stop visiting Diotima and stay away from her.
(b) To choose not to involve himself in Diotima's acquaintance with the General.
(c) To make it clear to the General that he was Diotima's first choice.
(d) To maintain only a casual acquaintance with Diotima.
4. What two things does the General compare when talking to Ulrich in Chapter 100?
(a) Schools and libraries.
(b) Politics and school.
(c) Warfare and politics.
(d) Warfare and libraries.
5. What does Ulrich notice about his own behavior in Chapter 103?
(a) His behavior used to be inconsistent, but he has been working on that, and getting better.
(b) He is unable to conform to societal standards that he doesn't think are justified.
(c) He can be very manipulative when he wants to be and has no intention of changing that.
(d) There have been inconsistencies in his behavior throughout his life, and that probably won't change.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arnheim do for the first time in Chapter 116?
2. How is the Collateral Campaign viewed as of Chapter 116?
3. What is the relationship between Ulrich and Diotima?
4. Why does Ulrich decide not to write a book in Chapter 103?
5. What is Rachel's main concern at the end of Chapter 117?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)