Book I, Chapters 1-9
• In Book 1, Chapters 1-9, we learn of the Makioka sisters, four daughters with a fledgling Japanese fortune in Osaka, Japan.
• The family business is run by Tsuruko's husband Tatsuo.
• Tsuruko is the oldest of the sisters and Tatsuo took the Makioka name to run the company.
• Sachiko and Taeko are talking about introducing a suitor to Yukiko who is already 30 and is unwed.
• Taeko, the youngest sister wants her older sister to marry so she can marry her lover Okubata as Japanese tradition requires that the older sister marry first.
• Taeko once wanted to elope with Okubata, but returned home without marrying him.
• It is reported that Yukiko runs off, which makes it difficult for Yukiko to find a suitor.
• Taeko is a successful doll maker.
• Yukiko and her niece Etsuko are devoted to each other.
• Mrs. Itani is finally able to have...
This section contains 1,653 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)