* In Book 1, Chapters 1-9, we learn of the Makioka sisters, four daughters with a fledgling Japanese fortune in Osaka, Japan.
* The family business is run by Tsuruko's husband Tatsuo.
* Tsuruko is the oldest of the sisters and Tatsuo took the Makioka name to run the company.
* Sachiko and Taeko are talking about introducing a suitor to Yukiko who is already 30 and is unwed.
* Taeko, the youngest sister wants her older sister to marry so she can marry her lover Okubata as Japanese tradition requires that the older sister marry first.
* Taeko once wanted to elope with Okubata, but returned home without marrying him.
* It is reported that Yukiko runs off, which makes it difficult for Yukiko to find a suitor.
* Taeko is a successful doll maker.
* Yukiko and her niece Etsuko are devoted to each other.
* Mrs. Itani is finally able to have Sachiko...
This section contains 1,638 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)