|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Smitz greets Anita and her companions at his front door, what is unusual about his appearance?
2. Who pages Anita while she is at Williams' house, to say he has found Jason?
3. Following the encounter between Anita, Gretchen, and Louie, what transformation does Louie undergo while unconscious?
4. After Anita leaves Washington University, what does Gretchen do?
5. In Kaspar's basement, who is put into a cage with Richard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kaspar's motive for betraying his fellow lycanthropes by supplying them to hunters for sport?
2. Until being separated from Richard by Anita during an argument in Anita's apartment, why does Jean-Claude refuse to leave Anita's apartment until Anita kisses him?
3. What is Kaspar's role in Raina's porn movies?
4. Following Gretchen's actions near Washington University, how does Jean-Claude punish Gretchen for disobeying his orders?
5. After Anita separates Richard and Jean-Claude during an argument in her apartment, why does Jean-Claude ultimately laugh and gloat, content to depart without a kiss from Anita?
6. After Anita announces her engagement, what is significant about the arrival of Raina and Gabriel at the office of Jean-Claude?
7. What happens to Louie when he comes to the aid of Anita near Washington University?
8. How does Raina ultimately convince Smitz to admit that he killed his wife?
9. In Jean-Claude's office, what does Raina do in an attempt to make Anita jealous?
10. What does Gretchen do to Anita after Anita leaves Washington University, and what is her motivation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the scene in which Louie rescues Anita from Gretchen, then Anita rescues Louie from Gretchen, and, most importantly, Anita nurtures and protects the unconscious and vulnerable wererat as he changes back into his human form. How does this scene serve to cement a fragile yet important connection between humans and preternatural creatures in the novel's world?
Essay Topic 2
Why, throughout most of "The Lunatic Cafe," does Anita resent any attempt by Richard to protect her? Why, near the end of the novel, is Anita grateful when Richard tries to rescue her from Jason?
Essay Topic 3
How do events early in "The Lunatic Cafe" foreshadow the events that follow? Does the end flow logically from the beginning, or does the end come as a surprise?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)