|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Kaspar give for being cursed as a swan?
2. In Anita's apartment, what happens when Anita touches Richard and Jean-Claude to separate them?
3. What explanation does Jean-Claude offer for not coming to Anita's aid against Gabriel at Guilty Pleasures?
4. After learning that Louie is missing, Anita realizes that Elvira is what sort of preternatural creature?
5. Near the end of the novel, Titus and Aikensen are shown to be guilty of what crime?
Short Essay Questions
1. Following Gretchen's actions near Washington University, how does Jean-Claude punish Gretchen for disobeying his orders?
2. How does Richard try to save Anita while they are in Kaspar's basement?
3. How does Raina ultimately convince Smitz to admit that he killed his wife?
4. What happens to Louie when he comes to the aid of Anita near Washington University?
5. During an argument in Anita's apartment, what happens when Anita attempts to separate Richard and Jean-Claude?
6. When Anita notices something familiar about Gabriel, why is this significant?
7. Why does Anita try to dissuade Richard from accompanying her to the nature center, following a call from Williams?
8. What is Kaspar's role in Raina's porn movies?
9. Until being separated from Richard by Anita during an argument in Anita's apartment, why does Jean-Claude refuse to leave Anita's apartment until Anita kisses him?
10. After Anita finds the body of Williams, what does Kaspar say to Anita during a phone call?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do events early in "The Lunatic Cafe" foreshadow the events that follow? Does the end flow logically from the beginning, or does the end come as a surprise?
Essay Topic 2
What are the religious undertones present in "The Lunatic Cafe?" Is the cross-wearing Anita likely to be a Christian? Why or why not? Is the belief in preternatural creatures incompatible with a belief in God?
Essay Topic 3
What techniques does the author employ, to build suspense as the story develops, to provide a reasonable number of clues, and to avoid giving away the ending too early in the story? Is the novel successful as a thriller?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)