|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What explanation does Jean-Claude offer for not coming to Anita's aid against Gabriel at Guilty Pleasures?
2. What reason does Kaspar give for betraying other preternatural creatures?
3. Following the encounter between Anita, Gretchen, and Louie, what transformation does Louie undergo while unconscious?
4. At the home of Williams, Anita finds the bodies of Williams and how many others?
5. What two things cause lycanthropes to change form faster?
Short Essay Questions
1. As explained by Anita in Jean-Claude's office, how do Anita's feelings for Richard compare with her feelings for Jean-Claude?
2. Why does Anita try to dissuade Richard from accompanying her to the nature center, following a call from Williams?
3. After Anita announces her engagement, what is significant about the arrival of Raina and Gabriel at the office of Jean-Claude?
4. Following the arrest of Elvira, why does Williams call Anita on the phone?
5. What happens to Louie when he comes to the aid of Anita near Washington University?
6. Near Washington University, how does Anita help Louie after he suffers injuries?
7. How does Richard try to save Anita while they are in Kaspar's basement?
8. What does Gretchen do to Anita after Anita leaves Washington University, and what is her motivation?
9. Near the end of the novel, who is placed in the two cages in Kaspar's basement?
10. How does Gabriel respond to pain, first from his silver earrings and then from the silver knife Anita uses to slice his stomach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the numerous creative ways that the preternatural creatures in "The Lunatic Cafe" manage to assimilate themselves into the human population of St. Louis. Why do the preternatural creatures choose to stay hidden, rather than work together to take over modern civilization?
Essay Topic 2
What techniques does the author use to interweave lycanthropic and vampiric lore into her story, gradually and unobtrusively? How do Laurell K. Hamilton's werecreatures and vampires differ from others you have "met" in books or movies?
Essay Topic 3
What techniques does the author employ, to build suspense as the story develops, to provide a reasonable number of clues, and to avoid giving away the ending too early in the story? Is the novel successful as a thriller?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)