|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of preternatural creature is Gretchen?
2. At the home of his friend Williams, what urge does Richard fight against?
3. After Kaspar confesses to his crimes, who is found in a cage in Kaspar's basement?
4. Who calls Anita in the middle of the night regarding a skin found in the river?
5. In Kaspar's basement, who is put into a cage with Richard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Near the end of the novel, who is placed in the two cages in Kaspar's basement?
2. After Anita announces her engagement, what is significant about the arrival of Raina and Gabriel at the office of Jean-Claude?
3. After Anita separates Richard and Jean-Claude during an argument in her apartment, why does Jean-Claude ultimately laugh and gloat, content to depart without a kiss from Anita?
4. Following the arrest of Elvira, why does Williams call Anita on the phone?
5. What is Kaspar's motive for betraying his fellow lycanthropes by supplying them to hunters for sport?
6. Describe the creature whose skin is found in a river in Jefferson County.
7. When Richard and Stephen arrive to help Anita and Louie, why does Stephen offer to drive Anita to Guilty Pleasures?
8. As explained by Anita in Jean-Claude's office, how do Anita's feelings for Richard compare with her feelings for Jean-Claude?
9. Why does Anita try to dissuade Richard from accompanying her to the nature center, following a call from Williams?
10. Near Washington University, how does Anita help Louie after he suffers injuries?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Burt and Dolph, Anita's two bosses, interact with her in the course of the novel? What point is the author making about women in the work force by Anita's disparate attitudes toward the two men?
Essay Topic 2
What techniques does the author use to interweave lycanthropic and vampiric lore into her story, gradually and unobtrusively? How do Laurell K. Hamilton's werecreatures and vampires differ from others you have "met" in books or movies?
Essay Topic 3
What are the primary motivations of Raina, an important antagonist in the novel, as the plot develops? What are her motivations in toying with Jean-Claude and Anita's attraction for each other? What are her motivations in manipulating the werecreatures in Marcus' pack? Why does she choose to produce pornographic movies?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)