|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Kaspar give for being cursed as a swan?
2. When Anita puts her arm in the river, who grabs her?
3. The morning after Jean-Claude visited Anita's apartment, Ronnie calls Anita to discuss what new evidence in the Smitz case?
4. Who calls Anita in the middle of the night regarding a skin found in the river?
5. What explanation does Smitz offer for his appearance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Louie when he comes to the aid of Anita near Washington University?
2. After Anita finds the body of Williams, what does Kaspar say to Anita during a phone call?
3. How does Richard try to save Anita while they are in Kaspar's basement?
4. Until being separated from Richard by Anita during an argument in Anita's apartment, why does Jean-Claude refuse to leave Anita's apartment until Anita kisses him?
5. Near Washington University, how does Anita help Louie after he suffers injuries?
6. As explained by Anita in Jean-Claude's office, how do Anita's feelings for Richard compare with her feelings for Jean-Claude?
7. The day after Richard and Jean-Claude argued in Anita's apartment, Ronnie calls Anita to share what evidence regarding the Smitz case?
8. How does Gabriel respond to pain, first from his silver earrings and then from the silver knife Anita uses to slice his stomach?
9. Why did Elvira and other witches skin the naga?
10. What is Kaspar's role in Raina's porn movies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why, throughout most of "The Lunatic Cafe," does Anita resent any attempt by Richard to protect her? Why, near the end of the novel, is Anita grateful when Richard tries to rescue her from Jason?
Essay Topic 2
How do events early in "The Lunatic Cafe" foreshadow the events that follow? Does the end flow logically from the beginning, or does the end come as a surprise?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the scene in which Louie rescues Anita from Gretchen, then Anita rescues Louie from Gretchen, and, most importantly, Anita nurtures and protects the unconscious and vulnerable wererat as he changes back into his human form. How does this scene serve to cement a fragile yet important connection between humans and preternatural creatures in the novel's world?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)