|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Near the end of the novel, Titus and Aikensen are shown to be guilty of what crime?
2. After leaving Williams' house, where does Anita encounter Titus and Aikensen?
3. What sort of strange sound does Williams report hearing on his owl recording?
4. At Guilty Pleasures, what does Raina say Jean-Claude has promised to her?
5. Following the encounter between Anita, Gretchen, and Louie, what transformation does Louie undergo while unconscious?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Anita notices something familiar about Gabriel, why is this significant?
2. Why did Elvira and other witches skin the naga?
3. After Anita announces her engagement, what is significant about the arrival of Raina and Gabriel at the office of Jean-Claude?
4. Why does Anita try to dissuade Richard from accompanying her to the nature center, following a call from Williams?
5. Following the arrest of Elvira, why does Williams call Anita on the phone?
6. When Richard and Stephen arrive to help Anita and Louie, why does Stephen offer to drive Anita to Guilty Pleasures?
7. During an argument in Anita's apartment, what happens when Anita attempts to separate Richard and Jean-Claude?
8. The day after Richard and Jean-Claude argued in Anita's apartment, Ronnie calls Anita to share what evidence regarding the Smitz case?
9. What is Kaspar's role in Raina's porn movies?
10. Following Gretchen's actions near Washington University, how does Jean-Claude punish Gretchen for disobeying his orders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use settings to enhance the mood and further the plot in "The Lunatic Cafe?" Are the fictional settings described as convincingly as the settings that actually exist in St. Louis (The Fox Theatre and Washington University)?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the corruption of some police officers, as depicted in the novel. What leads some officers, such as Titus and Aikensen, to corruption, while others travel the path of what is right?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the numerous crimes solved by Anita during the course of the novel. For each, consider any major incorrect theories Anita might have held, and detail the important clue that led her to the correct conclusion.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)