|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Smitz greets Anita and her companions at his front door, what is unusual about his appearance?
2. Who falls in the river where the skin was found?
3. After someone falls in the river, what does Anita conclude?
4. Who kisses Jean-Claude and drapes herself around him at Guilty Pleasures?
5. Jean-Claude gives which vampire a choice between appearing in Raina's films or going into a coffin, at Guilty Pleasures?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gretchen do to Anita after Anita leaves Washington University, and what is her motivation?
2. Until being separated from Richard by Anita during an argument in Anita's apartment, why does Jean-Claude refuse to leave Anita's apartment until Anita kisses him?
3. Near the end of the novel, who is placed in the two cages in Kaspar's basement?
4. What is Kaspar's motive for betraying his fellow lycanthropes by supplying them to hunters for sport?
5. When Richard and Stephen arrive to help Anita and Louie, why does Stephen offer to drive Anita to Guilty Pleasures?
6. What happens to Louie when he comes to the aid of Anita near Washington University?
7. How does Richard try to save Anita while they are in Kaspar's basement?
8. Following Gretchen's actions near Washington University, how does Jean-Claude punish Gretchen for disobeying his orders?
9. When Anita notices something familiar about Gabriel, why is this significant?
10. How does Gabriel respond to pain, first from his silver earrings and then from the silver knife Anita uses to slice his stomach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the scene in which Louie rescues Anita from Gretchen, then Anita rescues Louie from Gretchen, and, most importantly, Anita nurtures and protects the unconscious and vulnerable wererat as he changes back into his human form. How does this scene serve to cement a fragile yet important connection between humans and preternatural creatures in the novel's world?
Essay Topic 2
Why, throughout most of "The Lunatic Cafe," does Anita resent any attempt by Richard to protect her? Why, near the end of the novel, is Anita grateful when Richard tries to rescue her from Jason?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the numerous crimes solved by Anita during the course of the novel. For each, consider any major incorrect theories Anita might have held, and detail the important clue that led her to the correct conclusion.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)