|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While at the hospital, Anita receives a call from Richard informing her that Louie is missing after supposedly meeting with whom?
2. Following the encounter between Anita, Gretchen, and Louie, why does Gretchen want Anita to visit Guilty Pleasures?
3. After Elvira was arrested, who is found in Elvira's basement?
4. What item does Anita refuse to give up at the entrance of Guilty Pleasures?
5. When Anita puts her arm in the river, who grabs her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Following the arrest of Elvira, why does Williams call Anita on the phone?
2. The day after Richard and Jean-Claude argued in Anita's apartment, Ronnie calls Anita to share what evidence regarding the Smitz case?
3. During an argument in Anita's apartment, what happens when Anita attempts to separate Richard and Jean-Claude?
4. Describe the creature whose skin is found in a river in Jefferson County.
5. After Anita separates Richard and Jean-Claude during an argument in her apartment, why does Jean-Claude ultimately laugh and gloat, content to depart without a kiss from Anita?
6. Near the end of the novel, who is placed in the two cages in Kaspar's basement?
7. When Anita notices something familiar about Gabriel, why is this significant?
8. How does Richard try to save Anita while they are in Kaspar's basement?
9. Following Gretchen's actions near Washington University, how does Jean-Claude punish Gretchen for disobeying his orders?
10. After Anita finds the body of Williams, what does Kaspar say to Anita during a phone call?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What techniques does the author employ, to build suspense as the story develops, to provide a reasonable number of clues, and to avoid giving away the ending too early in the story? Is the novel successful as a thriller?
Essay Topic 2
What are the religious undertones present in "The Lunatic Cafe?" Is the cross-wearing Anita likely to be a Christian? Why or why not? Is the belief in preternatural creatures incompatible with a belief in God?
Essay Topic 3
What are the primary motivations of Raina, an important antagonist in the novel, as the plot develops? What are her motivations in toying with Jean-Claude and Anita's attraction for each other? What are her motivations in manipulating the werecreatures in Marcus' pack? Why does she choose to produce pornographic movies?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)