|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Anita and her companions question Smitz, who threatens him, causing him to admit that he killed his wife?
2. After Anita leaves Washington University, what does Louie do to help Anita?
3. After leaving Williams' house, where does Anita encounter Titus and Aikensen?
4. At the home of Williams, Anita finds the bodies of Williams and how many others?
5. How does Anita prove to the police officers at Elvira's house that the creature who attacked Zerbrowski was not a lycanthrope?
Short Essay Questions
1. During an argument in Anita's apartment, what happens when Anita attempts to separate Richard and Jean-Claude?
2. Following Gretchen's actions near Washington University, how does Jean-Claude punish Gretchen for disobeying his orders?
3. The day after Richard and Jean-Claude argued in Anita's apartment, Ronnie calls Anita to share what evidence regarding the Smitz case?
4. Following the arrest of Elvira, why does Williams call Anita on the phone?
5. Near Washington University, how does Anita help Louie after he suffers injuries?
6. What happens to Louie when he comes to the aid of Anita near Washington University?
7. As explained by Anita in Jean-Claude's office, how do Anita's feelings for Richard compare with her feelings for Jean-Claude?
8. Near the end of the novel, who is placed in the two cages in Kaspar's basement?
9. After Anita announces her engagement, what is significant about the arrival of Raina and Gabriel at the office of Jean-Claude?
10. Why did Elvira and other witches skin the naga?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What techniques does the author use to interweave lycanthropic and vampiric lore into her story, gradually and unobtrusively? How do Laurell K. Hamilton's werecreatures and vampires differ from others you have "met" in books or movies?
Essay Topic 2
What comparisons can be made between protagonist Anita and the evil Kaspar, in their strong need to overcompensate for their perceived shortcomings? Why is Anita's method of coping better than Kaspar's?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the mechanics of dominance in a wolf pack. Why does Richard challenge Marcus for the position of pack leader, then defeat Marcus, and ultimately refuse to kill Marcus and assume his rightful position?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)