|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers to be hunted in exchange for Anita's release from a cage in Kaspar's basement?
2. What is Stephen's primary job at Guilty Pleasures?
3. In Kaspar's basement, who is put into a cage with Richard?
4. For what reason does Edward frequently follow Anita throughout the course of "The Lunatic Cafe?"
5. When Smitz greets Anita and her companions at his front door, what is unusual about his appearance?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Richard and Stephen arrive to help Anita and Louie, why does Stephen offer to drive Anita to Guilty Pleasures?
2. How does Gabriel respond to pain, first from his silver earrings and then from the silver knife Anita uses to slice his stomach?
3. What happens to Louie when he comes to the aid of Anita near Washington University?
4. After Anita separates Richard and Jean-Claude during an argument in her apartment, why does Jean-Claude ultimately laugh and gloat, content to depart without a kiss from Anita?
5. How does Raina ultimately convince Smitz to admit that he killed his wife?
6. Near Washington University, how does Anita help Louie after he suffers injuries?
7. Why does Anita try to dissuade Richard from accompanying her to the nature center, following a call from Williams?
8. Near the end of the novel, who is placed in the two cages in Kaspar's basement?
9. In Jean-Claude's office, what does Raina do in an attempt to make Anita jealous?
10. During an argument in Anita's apartment, what happens when Anita attempts to separate Richard and Jean-Claude?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the scene in which Louie rescues Anita from Gretchen, then Anita rescues Louie from Gretchen, and, most importantly, Anita nurtures and protects the unconscious and vulnerable wererat as he changes back into his human form. How does this scene serve to cement a fragile yet important connection between humans and preternatural creatures in the novel's world?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the mechanics of dominance in a wolf pack. Why does Richard challenge Marcus for the position of pack leader, then defeat Marcus, and ultimately refuse to kill Marcus and assume his rightful position?
Essay Topic 3
Does the author succeed in describing pornography without crossing the line into creating pornography? Why does the author choose to include pornographic scenes? How does the pornographic video further plot development or assist with character development?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)