|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the paramedics do for the creature who grabbed Anita's arm from the river?
2. What motivation does Gabriel offer for his willingness to assist Anita in questioning Smitz?
3. After Anita leaves Washington University, what does Gretchen do?
4. What description does the naga provide from his hospital bed to help identify the individuals who skinned him?
5. What part does Kaspar play in the production of Raina's films?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gabriel respond to pain, first from his silver earrings and then from the silver knife Anita uses to slice his stomach?
2. After Anita announces her engagement, what is significant about the arrival of Raina and Gabriel at the office of Jean-Claude?
3. Until being separated from Richard by Anita during an argument in Anita's apartment, why does Jean-Claude refuse to leave Anita's apartment until Anita kisses him?
4. Why did Elvira and other witches skin the naga?
5. Near Washington University, how does Anita help Louie after he suffers injuries?
6. In Jean-Claude's office, what does Raina do in an attempt to make Anita jealous?
7. Following the arrest of Elvira, why does Williams call Anita on the phone?
8. How does Raina ultimately convince Smitz to admit that he killed his wife?
9. What happens to Louie when he comes to the aid of Anita near Washington University?
10. What is Kaspar's role in Raina's porn movies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the main theme of "The Lunatic Cafe?" How do the actions of Anita, the protagonist, serve to uphold this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the numerous crimes solved by Anita during the course of the novel. For each, consider any major incorrect theories Anita might have held, and detail the important clue that led her to the correct conclusion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the mechanics of dominance in a wolf pack. Why does Richard challenge Marcus for the position of pack leader, then defeat Marcus, and ultimately refuse to kill Marcus and assume his rightful position?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)