|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jean-Claude gives which vampire a choice between appearing in Raina's films or going into a coffin, at Guilty Pleasures?
2. What sort of strange sound does Williams report hearing on his owl recording?
3. Who agrees to drive Anita to the hospital from Smitz' house?
4. While at the hospital, Anita receives a call from Richard informing her that Louie is missing after supposedly meeting with whom?
5. After someone falls in the river, what does Anita conclude?
Short Essay Questions
1. As explained by Anita in Jean-Claude's office, how do Anita's feelings for Richard compare with her feelings for Jean-Claude?
2. The day after Richard and Jean-Claude argued in Anita's apartment, Ronnie calls Anita to share what evidence regarding the Smitz case?
3. Near the end of the novel, who is placed in the two cages in Kaspar's basement?
4. How does Raina ultimately convince Smitz to admit that he killed his wife?
5. After Anita separates Richard and Jean-Claude during an argument in her apartment, why does Jean-Claude ultimately laugh and gloat, content to depart without a kiss from Anita?
6. How does Gabriel respond to pain, first from his silver earrings and then from the silver knife Anita uses to slice his stomach?
7. During an argument in Anita's apartment, what happens when Anita attempts to separate Richard and Jean-Claude?
8. How does Richard try to save Anita while they are in Kaspar's basement?
9. Following Gretchen's actions near Washington University, how does Jean-Claude punish Gretchen for disobeying his orders?
10. Near Washington University, how does Anita help Louie after he suffers injuries?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What techniques does the author employ, to build suspense as the story develops, to provide a reasonable number of clues, and to avoid giving away the ending too early in the story? Is the novel successful as a thriller?
Essay Topic 2
What are the primary motivations of Raina, an important antagonist in the novel, as the plot develops? What are her motivations in toying with Jean-Claude and Anita's attraction for each other? What are her motivations in manipulating the werecreatures in Marcus' pack? Why does she choose to produce pornographic movies?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the scene in which Louie rescues Anita from Gretchen, then Anita rescues Louie from Gretchen, and, most importantly, Anita nurtures and protects the unconscious and vulnerable wererat as he changes back into his human form. How does this scene serve to cement a fragile yet important connection between humans and preternatural creatures in the novel's world?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)