|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of preternatural creature is Richard?
2. What is the relationship between Anita and Ronnie?
3. What is the occupation of Louie?
4. What musical do Anita and Richard see at the theater?
5. During Anita's meeting with Marcus and other shapeshifters, what explanation does Marcus offer for Anita's presence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Anita's boyfriend, Richard.
2. Why is Anita hesitant to date Jean-Claude?
3. What are the positions within the wolf pack of Marcus, Raina, and Alfred?
4. How does Rafael save Anita from Jason, and who is holding Anita and nibbling her neck?
5. The morning after Anita shot Alfred, what do Anita and Ronnie do?
6. Write a brief synopsis of the video Edward shows to Anita at Edward's hotel. Please keep the description appropriate for a classroom audience.
7. Why does Anita leave Richard and Jean-Claude at the theater without saying goodbye?
8. When Anita arrives home from the crime scene involving a dead hunter, who is waiting for her and why?
9. During the meeting between Marcus, Anita, and the pack, what statement first sparks an argument?
10. Describe Gretchen, the person who attacks Anita after she leaves The Fox.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the religious undertones present in "The Lunatic Cafe?" Is the cross-wearing Anita likely to be a Christian? Why or why not? Is the belief in preternatural creatures incompatible with a belief in God?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use settings to enhance the mood and further the plot in "The Lunatic Cafe?" Are the fictional settings described as convincingly as the settings that actually exist in St. Louis (The Fox Theatre and Washington University)?
Essay Topic 3
Early in the novel, Anita kills Alfred in self-defense. Later Anita kills Aikensen for revenge, if not self-defense. Why does Richard show such disapproval for her actions? Is this related to his unwillingness to kill Marcus and take over leadership of his pack?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)