|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests that Alfred should disarm Anita, after she pulls a weapon?
2. Early in the novel, which character wishes to win the heart of Anita?
3. In the movie Edward shows to Anita, what is unusual about the first man seen?
4. Why is Smitz unwilling to go to the police for help?
5. Early in the novel, at which theater do Anita and Richard meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Anita work, and what sort of work does she do?
2. Describe Gretchen, the person who attacks Anita after she leaves The Fox.
3. Why does Marcus state that he is just as responsible for Alfred's death as Anita, after Anita shoots Alfred?
4. Why does Kaspar wish to hire Anita?
5. What does Gretchen attempt to do to the minds of a police officer and Anita near The Fox?
6. Why does Elvira wish to hire Anita?
7. What happens to Anita when she arrives at the crime scene with the dead hunter?
8. When Anita and Kaspar meet to discuss the missing lycanthropes, why is Anita unable to get more information from Kaspar than was already available in Marcus' file?
9. During their meeting at Washington University, what request and/or advice does Louie give to Anita regarding Richard?
10. Describe Louie, who Anita meets at Washington University the morning after viewing Edward's video.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use settings to enhance the mood and further the plot in "The Lunatic Cafe?" Are the fictional settings described as convincingly as the settings that actually exist in St. Louis (The Fox Theatre and Washington University)?
Essay Topic 2
Does the author succeed in describing pornography without crossing the line into creating pornography? Why does the author choose to include pornographic scenes? How does the pornographic video further plot development or assist with character development?
Essay Topic 3
What techniques does the author use to interweave lycanthropic and vampiric lore into her story, gradually and unobtrusively? How do Laurell K. Hamilton's werecreatures and vampires differ from others you have "met" in books or movies?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)