|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city does "The Lunatic Cafe" take place?
2. What is the first name of Smitz's wife?
3. Early in the novel, at which theater do Anita and Richard meet?
4. What theory does Sheriff Titus offer, regarding the crime scene to which Anita has been called after the theater performance?
5. When a death might involve some sort of preternatural creature, what is standard operation procedure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gretchen attempt to do to the minds of a police officer and Anita near The Fox?
2. During the meeting between Marcus, Anita, and the pack, what statement first sparks an argument?
3. When Anita arrives home from the crime scene involving a dead hunter, who is waiting for her and why?
4. Describe Gretchen, the person who attacks Anita after she leaves The Fox.
5. What theory does Titus propose regarding the body at the crime scene?
6. After Anita shoots and kills Alfred, what do most of the lycanthropes in the meeting do?
7. After Anita returns home from the meeting where she shot Alfred, what do she and Edward discuss on the phone?
8. The morning after Anita shot Alfred, what do Anita and Ronnie do?
9. What weapon does Alfred find when he searches Anita in a room near the Lunatic Cafe, and what weapon does he fail to find?
10. Why does Elvira wish to hire Anita?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use settings to enhance the mood and further the plot in "The Lunatic Cafe?" Are the fictional settings described as convincingly as the settings that actually exist in St. Louis (The Fox Theatre and Washington University)?
Essay Topic 2
What techniques does the author employ, to build suspense as the story develops, to provide a reasonable number of clues, and to avoid giving away the ending too early in the story? Is the novel successful as a thriller?
Essay Topic 3
What is the main theme of "The Lunatic Cafe?" How do the actions of Anita, the protagonist, serve to uphold this theme?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)