|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What theory does Sheriff Titus offer, regarding the crime scene to which Anita has been called after the theater performance?
2. What sort of preternatural creature is Raina?
3. What musical do Anita and Richard see at the theater?
4. When Alfred searches Anita in the room near the cafe, what does he fail to remove?
5. How old is Anita?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the positions within the wolf pack of Marcus, Raina, and Alfred?
2. Describe Gretchen, the person who attacks Anita after she leaves The Fox.
3. During their meeting at Washington University, what request and/or advice does Louie give to Anita regarding Richard?
4. Why is Anita worried when she learns that Richard has a Rodgers and Hammerstein collection?
5. Why does Anita leave Richard and Jean-Claude at the theater without saying goodbye?
6. What happens to Anita when she arrives at the crime scene with the dead hunter?
7. After Anita and Richard see "Guys and Dolls," what does Jean-Claude say that causes Anita to become angry with Richard?
8. Why does George Smitz hesitate to go to the police for help in finding his missing wife?
9. Why does Kaspar wish to hire Anita?
10. What weapon does Alfred find when he searches Anita in a room near the Lunatic Cafe, and what weapon does he fail to find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism of the swan skin sent to Anita by Edward near the end of the novel. Why does Anita approve of the skin, and why does boyfriend Richard disapprove? Is this a suitable "final resting place" for Kaspar?
Essay Topic 2
What techniques does the author employ, to build suspense as the story develops, to provide a reasonable number of clues, and to avoid giving away the ending too early in the story? Is the novel successful as a thriller?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the numerous creative ways that the preternatural creatures in "The Lunatic Cafe" manage to assimilate themselves into the human population of St. Louis. Why do the preternatural creatures choose to stay hidden, rather than work together to take over modern civilization?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)