|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Gretchen?
2. Why doesn't Gretchen's special power affect Anita?
3. After Anita kills a shapeshifter, who is the one shapeshifter in the meeting who is not drawn to the scent of blood?
4. After viewing Edward's movie, why does Anita retire to the bathroom while Edward finishes his steak dinner?
5. Early in the novel, why does Smitz wish to hire Anita?
Short Essay Questions
1. During the meeting between Marcus, Anita, and the pack, what statement first sparks an argument?
2. At the Lunatic Cafe, who does Raina threaten and why?
3. Why does Anita leave Richard and Jean-Claude at the theater without saying goodbye?
4. After Anita and Richard see "Guys and Dolls," what does Jean-Claude say that causes Anita to become angry with Richard?
5. Why does Kaspar wish to hire Anita?
6. The morning after Anita shot Alfred, what do Anita and Ronnie do?
7. Describe Louie, who Anita meets at Washington University the morning after viewing Edward's video.
8. What happens to Anita when she arrives at the crime scene with the dead hunter?
9. When Anita arrives home from the crime scene involving a dead hunter, who is waiting for her and why?
10. Write a brief synopsis of the video Edward shows to Anita at Edward's hotel. Please keep the description appropriate for a classroom audience.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the main theme of "The Lunatic Cafe?" How do the actions of Anita, the protagonist, serve to uphold this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the mechanics of dominance in a wolf pack. Why does Richard challenge Marcus for the position of pack leader, then defeat Marcus, and ultimately refuse to kill Marcus and assume his rightful position?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of the swan skin sent to Anita by Edward near the end of the novel. Why does Anita approve of the skin, and why does boyfriend Richard disapprove? Is this a suitable "final resting place" for Kaspar?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)