|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of preternatural creature is Rafael?
2. What musical do Anita and Richard see at the theater?
3. After Anita's meeting with Elvira, Burt explains that Kaspar wants to hire Anita for what reason?
4. What is the first name of Smitz's wife?
5. After Anita leaves Richard and Jean-Claude near the theater, what special power does Gretchen exhibit?
Short Essay Questions
1. While Anita is near the theater, talking with Richard and Jean-Claude, why does Dolph page Anita?
2. When Anita arrives home from the crime scene involving a dead hunter, who is waiting for her and why?
3. What weapon does Alfred find when he searches Anita in a room near the Lunatic Cafe, and what weapon does he fail to find?
4. Why is Anita worried when she learns that Richard has a Rodgers and Hammerstein collection?
5. What does Gretchen attempt to do to the minds of a police officer and Anita near The Fox?
6. Why does Kaspar wish to hire Anita?
7. At the Lunatic Cafe, who does Raina threaten and why?
8. Where does Anita work, and what sort of work does she do?
9. Describe Anita's boyfriend, Richard.
10. When Anita and Kaspar meet to discuss the missing lycanthropes, why is Anita unable to get more information from Kaspar than was already available in Marcus' file?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the scene in which Louie rescues Anita from Gretchen, then Anita rescues Louie from Gretchen, and, most importantly, Anita nurtures and protects the unconscious and vulnerable wererat as he changes back into his human form. How does this scene serve to cement a fragile yet important connection between humans and preternatural creatures in the novel's world?
Essay Topic 2
What techniques does the author employ, to build suspense as the story develops, to provide a reasonable number of clues, and to avoid giving away the ending too early in the story? Is the novel successful as a thriller?
Essay Topic 3
How do Burt and Dolph, Anita's two bosses, interact with her in the course of the novel? What point is the author making about women in the work force by Anita's disparate attitudes toward the two men?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)