Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first name of Smitz's wife?
2. During a meeting between Anita and Kaspar, how is Kaspar's conversation limited?
3. When Anita and Richard meet for dinner after Anita's meeting with Kaspar, what sort of food do the two eat?
4. By what descriptive title is Anita known?
5. During a phone conversation between Anita and Edward, following Anita's meeting with Marcus and the shapeshifters, what does Edward say he would like to show to Anita?
Short Essay Questions
1. The morning after Anita shot Alfred, what do Anita and Ronnie do?
2. During an argument in Anita's apartment, what happens when Anita attempts to separate Richard and Jean-Claude?
3. Describe Louie, who Anita meets at Washington University the morning after viewing Edward's video.
4. Near the end of the novel, what is in the package that Edward sends to Anita?
5. Why does Marcus state that he is just as responsible for Alfred's death as Anita, after Anita shoots Alfred?
6. During their meeting at Washington University, what request and/or advice does Louie give to Anita regarding Richard?
7. What does Gretchen do to Anita after Anita leaves Washington University, and what is her motivation?
8. While Anita is near the theater, talking with Richard and Jean-Claude, why does Dolph page Anita?
9. How does Gabriel respond to pain, first from his silver earrings and then from the silver knife Anita uses to slice his stomach?
10. After Anita and Edward leave Kaspar's basement, what does Richard do?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of dark humor in the novel. Please reference at least three examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the numerous creative ways that the preternatural creatures in "The Lunatic Cafe" manage to assimilate themselves into the human population of St. Louis. Why do the preternatural creatures choose to stay hidden, rather than work together to take over modern civilization?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the numerous crimes solved by Anita during the course of the novel. For each, consider any major incorrect theories Anita might have held, and detail the important clue that led her to the correct conclusion.
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)