|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What memento does Fenerman give Abigail and Jack in the hospital?
2. After Ruth and Ray become a couple again, what is the status of Ruana's relationship with Ray's father?
3. What does Abigail do with Buckley during her clandestine meeting with Fenerman after Mr. Harvey's house has been broken into?
4. Who is the last person in the Salmon family to think that Mr. Harvey had something to do with Susie's death?
5. What items does Mr. Harvey remember stealing from memorials and graves with his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ruth a celebrity in Susie's heaven?
2. As the neighbors are gathering for Susie's one-year memorial, what does Lindsey ask of her mother?
3. What leads Grandma Lynn to believe that Mr. Harvey is involved in Susie's killing?
4. How does Susie know her way around Hal's bike shop?
5. Why is Lindsey so angry with her mother when she returns from California to see Jack in the hospital?
6. What does Samuel promise to do with the abandoned house he and Lindsey take shelter in after their college graduation?
7. Why does Mr. Harvey feel he has to leave town after Lindsey breaks into his house?
8. What conflict does Mr. Harvey feel about reporting that his house has been broken into?
9. While eating apple pie that Ruana brought to the Salmon family, what do Samuel and Lindsey learn about the house they want to fix up?
10. What is the first memory Mr. Harvey has of killing someone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Detective Fenerman and the police department play a significant role in the story in The Lovely Bones, even if that role is made significant by their inaction. Discuss 1) how an author can use authority figures in a text, 2) how/if an author relies upon an inherent trust between the reader and authority figures, and 3) at least three ways the relationship between a reader and a text's authority figures can be manipulated (positively or negatively) in a story line.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Susie remain in her heaven for so long? Make sure to discuss at least three reasons why, as well as what was eventually needed for her to leave. Use specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Beginning fairly early in the novel, several characters claim to see Susie's ghost. Name two of these characters; discuss the circumstances of when, how, and where they see Susie; and describe how these early "sightings" can be interpreted as foreshadowing Susie's reappearance at the end of the novel.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)