|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ray end up studying as a career?
2. When Susie sees Mr. Harvey's victims visiting him, what are they wearing?
3. What family secret does Grandma Lynn confess to Abigail during their walk after Thanksgiving dinner?
4. Where does Mr. Harvey suggest Susie might have been killed when speaking to the police after Lindsey breaks into his house?
5. Why is the sinkhole going to be filled?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is bothering Jack while he is helping Lindsey learn how to shave her legs?
2. Why does Mr. Harvey feel he has to leave town after Lindsey breaks into his house?
3. What can Susie physically feel that lets her know she is in Ruth's body?
4. What does Susie realize, while watching from her heaven, about her family after she has entered (and left) Ruth's body?
5. What does Samuel promise to do with the abandoned house he and Lindsey take shelter in after their college graduation?
6. What symptoms send Jack to the hospital after Buckley confronts him about dealing with Susie's death?
7. How does Susie know her way around Hal's bike shop?
8. What leads Grandma Lynn to believe that Mr. Harvey is involved in Susie's killing?
9. When Jack and Abigail confess that they both see Susie, how do they react?
10. As the neighbors are gathering for Susie's one-year memorial, what does Lindsey ask of her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in The Lovely Bones come of age throughout the novel. In a well argued essay, discuss 1) whether or not Susie can ever come of age, or if she will forever be the ghost of a 14-year-old girl, and 2) if she does come of age, when and how it happens in the text.
Essay Topic 2
Ruth's relationship with Susie after Susie's death is in strong contrast to the relationship they had while Susie was still alive. Is the reader supposed to believe that Ruth has some kind of spiritual connection with Susie after she dies? Or is the reader supposed to believe that Ruth's connection with Susie is completely in her own mind? Use at least three specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 12, Franny reminds Susie that her family can only move on when Susie lets them go. Discuss when exactly, if at all, this happens in The Lovely Bones, making sure to use specific examples from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)