|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Harper love the Alice in Wonderland skit?
2. What is Georgie doing when he is hounded to take off his shirt?
3. Why does Mr. Collier start writing a story?
4. Who allows Georgie to have a special tutor?
5. What do the boys plan with the gift from the Judge?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Collier spark Georgie's interest in learning to read?
2. How does Georgie save the play?
3. Why is Georgie so fond of Robin?
4. Why does Georgie tell Mr. Collier he never learned how to read?
5. Why is Alice in Wonderland Mrs. Harper's favorite skit in the play?
6. What makes Georgie punch one of the other boys at the school?
7. Why does Georgie refuse to join the drama class?
8. Why is Georgie allowed to continue attending the boys' school?
9. What does Georgie do after hearing all the stories at the over-nighter?
10. Why does Mr. Collier know how to teach Georgie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Irene Hunt have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Steve was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence- however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)