|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bryson think will be the downfall of Detroit?
2. Why does Bryson consider going back to Connecticut?
3. The trash and poverty makes Philadelphia feel like more of a ______ to Bryson.
4. How does Bryson get around paying the entrance fee to Colonial Williamsburg?
5. Bryson goes on a tangent comparing the American health care system to _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Bryson sympathetic to impoverished people? Why or why not?
2. Has Bryson had good or bad experiences with strippers? What prompted this thought?
3. In Bryson's opinion, how is poverty relative?
4. What does Bryson feel about Philadelphia having the affect of a big city?
5. Why does Bryson have a problem with the Vanderbilts?
6. Why is Bryson relieved to be back in Iowa?
7. How does Bryson recognize long distance travelers?
8. How does Bryson feel after visiting Gettysburg? Why?
9. How does Bryson know how to socially categorize Hal and Lucia?
10. How does Bryson imagine he should act in New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bryson is more drawn to small towns rather than big cities. Discuss Bryson's stance and opinion on development in America.
Essay Topic 2
Through many of Bryson's stops on his journey, he compares his experiences as a child to those as an adult. Discuss Bryson's relationship and resistance to change--whether it be change in himself or in his environment. Is Bryson able to distinguish internal and external change?
Essay Topic 3
Bryson becomes very afraid in several cities and towns in America, thinking he is in imminent danger. Discuss the source of Bryson's fear, what about his background encourages it, and how it affects his travels and our journey with him.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)