|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bryson thinks the houses in Maine are _____.
2. Bryson goes on a tangent comparing the American health care system to _______.
3. How does Bryson feel about New York as an adult?
4. What does Bryson realize he won't find in Maine?
5. Why does Bryson want to go to the hotel calling for "proper attire"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Bryson sympathetic to impoverished people? Why or why not?
2. What is the unspoken connection with travelers?
3. Why is Bryson relieved to be back in Iowa?
4. Why is Bryson concerned about Detroit?
5. Are the people of Roanoke, VA amiable to discussing the Melungeons? Why or why not?
6. How does Bryson know how to socially categorize Hal and Lucia?
7. Does Bryson have an "authentic" New England experience?
8. What does Bryson feel about Philadelphia having the affect of a big city?
9. What revelation about poverty does Bryson have in Vermont?
10. How does Bryson recognize long distance travelers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What initiated Bryson's urge to travel was his desire to "be somewhere." However, what inspired this trip was tied to the death of his father and his desire to revisit youth. Discuss Bryson's complex relationship with home.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the final portrait of "America" Bryson has painted by the conclusion of his journey.
Essay Topic 3
Bryson regularly points out instances of segregation and bigotry, yet has some biases himself. Discuss Bryson's stance on bigotry and how he defines it.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)