|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bryson tell the waitress he has just gotten out of prison for?
2. What is the Mississippi police officer trying to ask Bryson in his thick accent?
3. What pop-culture medium does Bryson claim paints southerners in a bad light?
4. What awes Bryson about Savannah?
5. After being the only white man in a restaurant in Alabama, Bryson feels _____ to get back on the highway.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the most fun Bryson can have in Carbondale?
2. Why does Bryson draw ties to movies? How does this aid the narrative?
3. Why is the south like a foreign country to Bryson?
4. What, in Bryson's opinion, is good about being from Des Moines?
5. What are Bryson's feelings about Mississippi? Why does he feel this way?
6. What inspired Bryson's trip?
7. How does Bryson feel about signs and billboards?
8. What effect does Bryson's visit to Ripley's Believe It Or Not museum have on him?
9. What is the greatest barrier Bryson faces in southern towns?
10. In Bryson's opinion, why do Farmers lose their limbs easily?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bryson is scathingly critical of many people and places he encounters throughout "Lost Continent." Discuss Bryson's critical nature: how does it impact our view of America? Why is he so critical?
Essay Topic 2
Bryson's journey is a personal one. Dissect claims Bryson makes about himself and others versus what his actions,etc. say is true.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the final portrait of "America" Bryson has painted by the conclusion of his journey.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)