|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bryson observe has "eaten" Carbondale?
2. Why has Bryson never seen the "Ripley's Believe It Or Not Museum"?
3. Bryson and his siblings used to poke matches into apples or boiled eggs until they resembled a _______.
4. In contrast to Britain, Bryson finds that Iowa has ______ color.
5. What does Bryson say is a relative term similar to a "scenic route" on a map?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the south like a foreign country to Bryson?
2. Why does Bryson draw ties to movies? How does this aid the narrative?
3. What is disappointing about the Mississippi to Bryson?
4. How does Bryson feel about signs and billboards?
5. Does Bryson view his grandparents critically or endearingly? How does he portray them?
6. Do people ever get out of Des Moines, according to Bryson? Why or why not?
7. How does Bryson generalize towns from his youth?
8. How does Auburn, AL prompt more of Bryson's criticisms of youth?
9. How is Tuskegee, AL a trip back in time for Bryson?
10. In Bryson's opinion, why do Farmers lose their limbs easily?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bryson is more drawn to small towns rather than big cities. Discuss Bryson's stance and opinion on development in America.
Essay Topic 2
Bryson becomes very afraid in several cities and towns in America, thinking he is in imminent danger. Discuss the source of Bryson's fear, what about his background encourages it, and how it affects his travels and our journey with him.
Essay Topic 3
Bryson frequently refers back to issues of money: either in that he is bitter against wealthy people, inconvenienced to pay entrance fees, or perturbed by the impoverished. Discuss Bryson's relationship with wealth and poverty.
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)