|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Bryson forced to eat in Carbondale?
(c) Pizza Hut.
(d) A hot dog stand.
2. Bryson declares that Tupelo is _______.
(d) Too small.
3. As a child, what did Bryson always think about Pella?
(a) That it was unnecessary.
(b) It was for poor people.
(c) It was ficticious.
(d) That it was atypical.
4. Why does Bryson rename the eerie town "Dullard"?
(a) To avoid confrontation from the people for his criticism.
(b) He thought the actual name didn't reflect the town.
(c) Because it is its real name.
(d) The town was founded by a man named "Dullard."
5. What does Bryson claim is good about Des Moines in comparison the rest of Iowa?
(a) It has a nicer scenery.
(b) It's less expensive.
(c) It is wealthier and better educated.
(d) Famous people pass through.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bryson believe his grandparents would do while awaiting the family's arrival?
2. Why does the Dullard barmaid compliment Bryson on his good English?
3. In Oxford, what is the young woman trying to tell Bryson when she says "make the skyaya"?
4. Bryson feels that Columbus has pieces of _______.
5. What is the effect Charleston has on Bryson?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the effect of Bryson's "disturbed and erratic" childhood?
2. What is the greatest barrier Bryson faces in southern towns?
3. Does Bryson view his grandparents critically or endearingly? How does he portray them?
4. Why does Bryson like Charleston, SC?
5. What do Bryson's expectations in revisiting his grandparents' home say about him?
6. What, in Bryson's opinion, is good about being from Des Moines?
7. Why was Abe Lincoln's home more fun for Bryson and his generation that it is for the youth of today?
8. Do people ever get out of Des Moines, according to Bryson? Why or why not?
9. How is Tuskegee, AL a trip back in time for Bryson?
10. What effect does Bryson's visit to Ripley's Believe It Or Not museum have on him?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)