|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bryson believe women are good at operating Mount Vernon?
(a) Because they are very attentive
(b) Because they know how to finish things.
(c) Because they are fair with prices.
(d) Because they are good at decorating.
2. What does Bryson wish this era would allow him to do to beggars?
(a) Strike them with a stick.
(b) Teach them to steal.
(c) Take them home and care for them.
(d) Enslave them.
3. There are a large number of ______ buried in the Peacham cemetery.
4. Why doesn't Bryson mind bad service in restaurants?
(a) He was a bad waiter himself.
(b) He feels better about leaving a tip.
(c) He just doesn't care about the little things.
(d) He has peace and quiet.
5. The trash and poverty makes Philadelphia feel like more of a ______ to Bryson.
(a) Third-world country.
(b) Big city.
6. How does Bryson get to New York?
(a) He bokes.
(b) He rents a car.
(c) He takes the bus.
(d) He flies.
7. When the hotel owner in Littleton promises Bryson a good room, what is Bryson thinking?
(a) That "good" is relative.
(b) He doubts it.
(c) The man is going to kill him.
(d) He's glad to have finally found an honest man.
8. Who are the Melungeons?
(a) A group of religious extremists.
(b) Descendents of the settlers of Roanoke.
(c) A common name for local police.
(d) A family Bryson knew as a child.
9. What does Bryson do while visiting Hal and Lucia?
(a) Tells stories.
(d) Visits other friends.
10. Who would Bryson terrorize in the park at Gettysburg?
(c) His parents.
11. Why are the waiters in the restaurant in Cooperstown eager for Bryson to leave?
(a) They don't like him.
(b) They're having a secret meeting.
(c) They want to close.
(d) They know he won't tip.
12. Why did Bryson's father choose to walk through the park at Gettysburg?
(a) He didn't care about the rest of Gettysburg.
(b) He had fond memories of it.
(c) It was free of charge.
(d) It was peaceful.
13. What do the imaginary business cards Bryson wants to hand out to New Yorkers say?
(a) "The end is near!"
(b) "Will you go to prom with me?"
(c) "Thank you for not killing me."
(d) "Thank you for not smoking."
14. What is Bryson's opinion of Gettysburg?
(a) It's not well maintained.
(b) It's not as fun as he remembers.
(c) It's out-dated.
(d) It's too touristy.
15. Why does Bryson visit the Eisenhower home?
(a) He has fond memories there.
(b) He never saw it when he was younger.
(c) It's the only thing open in the area.
(d) He feels guilty for not getting anything from his visit to Gettysburg.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the settlers of Roanoke, VA?
2. What does Bryson think the Smithsonian is lacking today?
3. What does Bryson realize he won't find in Maine?
4. Why are the Melungeons shunned?
5. Bryson eats all his food in Cape Cod with _____.
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)