|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bryson observe about the cemetery in Peacham?
(a) It's very small.
(b) It's very large for a small town.
(c) It's like a public park.
(d) The headstones are new.
2. What tourists are crowding Cape Cod?
(a) Celebrity watchers.
(b) Columbus Day visitors.
(c) Elderly couples.
(d) Fourth of July visitors.
3. Where do Bryson and his brother eat on their visit?
(a) A French restaurant.
(c) A bar.
(d) Amish Country.
4. Why does Bryson smile at everyone in Littleton?
(a) To scare them.
(b) Because it's polite.
(c) Because he's in a good mood.
(d) To stay on their good-side.
5. Bryson observes that the businesses in Cape Cod are all aimed at getting tourists to _____.
(a) Stay longer.
(b) Spend money.
(d) Buy property.
6. The trash and poverty makes Philadelphia feel like more of a ______ to Bryson.
(a) Big city.
(c) Third-world country.
7. What does Bryson wish this era would allow him to do to beggars?
(a) Take them home and care for them.
(b) Teach them to steal.
(c) Strike them with a stick.
(d) Enslave them.
8. How is Philadelphia better than Bryson remembers from his childhood?
(a) The mayor renamed the streets.
(b) It's built a new suburb.
(c) It's not as much fun.
(d) The ghettos aren't as bad.
9. What does Bryson's friend, James Horner, observe about American youth today?
(a) They dress funny.
(b) They are intellectually younger.
(c) They don't care about the environment.
(d) They want to be famous.
10. Why is Mackinac City closed down?
(a) There's been a crime.
(b) It's winter.
(c) There's been an earthquake.
(d) They're bankrupt.
11. What does Bryson remember about Delaware?
(a) How he lost his retainer there once.
(b) The smell.
(c) The people.
(d) Hardly anything.
12. Bryson eats all his food in Cape Cod with _____.
(a) An elderly couple.
(c) A fork and knife.
13. Why does Bryson tune in to a Canadian radio station?
(a) He wants to know the weather up there.
(b) His friend is being interviewed.
(c) There is no useful information on American ones.
(d) They listen to better music.
14. Bryson thinks the houses in Maine are _____.
(c) Too tall.
15. How does Bryson get around paying the entrance fee to Colonial Williamsburg?
(a) He sneaks in.
(b) He knows someone at the ticket office.
(c) He walks in rather than taking the shuttle bus.
(d) He pretends to be a guide.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bryson get to New York?
2. Bryson observes that people have _____ Lake Erie.
3. Who are the Melungeons?
4. What happened to the settlers of Roanoke, VA?
5. What does Bryson realize he won't find in Maine?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)