|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of people does Bryson think inhabit Stowe?
(a) Poor people.
(b) Racist people.
(c) Eco-friendly people.
(d) Rich people.
2. What does Bryson envy about Hal and Lucia?
(a) Their easy opulence.
(b) Their fun jobs.
(c) Their blissful ignorance.
(d) Their happy marraige.
3. What tourists are crowding Cape Cod?
(a) Fourth of July visitors.
(b) Celebrity watchers.
(c) Elderly couples.
(d) Columbus Day visitors.
4. When the hotel owner in Littleton promises Bryson a good room, what is Bryson thinking?
(a) He doubts it.
(b) He's glad to have finally found an honest man.
(c) That "good" is relative.
(d) The man is going to kill him.
5. Why is Mackinac City closed down?
(a) They're bankrupt.
(b) There's been an earthquake.
(c) It's winter.
(d) There's been a crime.
6. Where does Bryson find "real New England"?
(a) Cape Cod.
7. Bryson goes on a tangent comparing the American health care system to _______.
(a) The future.
(d) The Middle Age's.
8. Bryson eats all his food in Cape Cod with _____.
(b) An elderly couple.
(c) A fork and knife.
9. How does Bryson get around paying the entrance fee to Colonial Williamsburg?
(a) He walks in rather than taking the shuttle bus.
(b) He pretends to be a guide.
(c) He sneaks in.
(d) He knows someone at the ticket office.
10. After leaving the gas station, how does Bryson become lost?
(a) He can't understand directions.
(b) He takes a "shortcut."
(c) He fell asleep at the wheel.
(d) The roads were blocked off.
11. Bryson skips the tour in Newport and looks at the homes from _____.
(a) A boat.
(b) A cliff.
(c) His car.
(d) A magazine.
12. How is Philadelphia better than Bryson remembers from his childhood?
(a) The ghettos aren't as bad.
(b) The mayor renamed the streets.
(c) It's built a new suburb.
(d) It's not as much fun.
13. Who are the Melungeons?
(a) A common name for local police.
(b) A group of religious extremists.
(c) Descendents of the settlers of Roanoke.
(d) A family Bryson knew as a child.
14. Why does Bryson joke that aliens have abducted everyone from Peacham?
(a) There are a lot of crop-circles.
(b) The people are so strange.
(c) He heard a rumor.
(d) No one's around.
15. Who would Bryson terrorize in the park at Gettysburg?
(d) His parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the Melungeons shunned?
2. What does Bryson realize he won't find in Maine?
3. What did Bryson intend to talk about when talking about health care?
4. Who does Bryson believe the gas station attendant is calling?
5. When the gas station attendant makes a phone call, what does Bryson do?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)