|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the Johnny Jones task, David meets with Ms. Gold. What does he tell her?
2. Why was David removed from the Nulls' home?
3. When David is moved to his next foster home, Joanne and Michael Nulls, how does Joanne treat David?
4. When David arrives at The Catanzes' house after his release from the Hill, what do the other foster children do?
5. What was David's father afraid would happen if his co-workers found out his son started a fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did David join the Air Force?
2. What information did Uncle Lee give to David about Stephen, his father?
3. In the Break Away chapter, David was living with the Turnboughs again. Did David ever go back and visit his friends on Duinsmoore Drive?
4. In the Break Away chapter, David visits the Russian River once again. What did David take with him, and why was it important?
5. In the Mother's Love chapter, whose house did David refer to as his home?
6. In the Estranged chapter, when David sees Russell, his brother, why doesn't David tell that he thinks Russell is now being abused?
7. Why did David ask to be removed from the Walshes' household?
8. What is "The Hill?"
9. Late in the chapter entitled The Defiant One, after David returns to the Catanze's for the second time, what one fact does David cling to when Rudy is yelling at him?
10. While at the Hill, what did the mental health person want David to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On March 5, 1973, three years after David ran away, one of David's teachers alerted authorities of David's abuse. Describe the process David had to endure after his case was reported to authorities.
Essay Topic 2
When David became a foster child, he lacked many social norms. For instance, David didn't know you should knock on someone's door before entering their house. How did other characters in the story teach David social and foster care norms? What did this do for David on a broader scale?
Essay Topic 3
There are many instances during "The Lost Boy" where David describes his mother's actions. During many of these descriptions, she is cold and removed from David. Rarely is she ever kind to David. Citing specific examples, describe five of Roevra's actions toward her son. Where her actions toward David justified? Did Roevra ever apologize or explain her actions toward David?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)