|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Uncle Lee say destroyed Stephen?
2. Why was David removed from the Nulls' home?
3. When David is 17, he becomes bored with school. He knows he will be leaving the foster care system soon and has a more important interest. What interest is more important to him than school?
4. Where did David have to go after he was blamed for John's plan?
5. What special task do the Turnboughs do for David?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the Coming Around chapter, David is in high school and making true friends. Who are some of the people David makes friends with when the Walshes move? Please give a brief description of their relationships.
2. What is "The Hill?"
3. When David goes to court, what does his lawyer tell the judge?
4. In the Estranged chapter, David meets his brother and they decide to meet again the next day. Describe in detail what happened when David tried to find his brother after school the next day.
5. Why did David ask to be removed from the Walshes' household?
6. Who told David that they would do whatever it takes to help him?
7. When living with the Turnboughs, why did David have an issue with Bruce?
8. What information did Uncle Lee give to David about Stephen, his father?
9. Late in the chapter entitled The Defiant One, after David returns to the Catanze's for the second time, what one fact does David cling to when Rudy is yelling at him?
10. In the Break Away chapter, David was living with the Turnboughs again. Did David ever go back and visit his friends on Duinsmoore Drive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A common theme throughout David's life is the belief that he deserved the abuse he received from his mother. David later finds out that many children who are abused also have these same feelings. How did this thinking pattern affect David throughout his life? Did David ever release himself from this "I deserve abuse" mind-set? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe David's relationship with his father, then compare and contrast it with David's relationship with his mother. Why does David's father act the way he does? What might a reader assume about David's father from evidence provided in the book?
Essay Topic 3
David has to visit a psychiatrist while at the Catanzes'. Later, while living with the Turnboughs, David visits a second psychiatrist, Donald Roberson. Compare and contrast the two psychiatrists using examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)