|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When David is a sophomore in high school, what program does his school place him in?
2. David is sent to live with Harold and Alice Turnbough. What aren't The Turnboughs licensed for?
3. When David is 15, he feels that the countdown to his 18th birthday has begun. He knows when he is 18 he will have to leave the foster care system. What step does David take to prepare for this event?
4. While living with the Jones, David becomes best friends with what person?
5. After David left the Nulls', he was placed with Vera and Jody Jones. How far was their home from his mother's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the Estranged chapter, when David is being removed from the Catanzes', Gordan tells David he should feel fortunate to have been with one family for so long, and that David shouldn't complain about the move. Why did Gordan say this to David?
2. In the chapter entitled The Defiant One, David is on a quest for friendships. Where does this quest lead him?
3. In the Break Away chapter, David visits the Russian River once again. What did David take with him, and why was it important?
4. What information did Uncle Lee give to David about Stephen, his father?
5. Late in the chapter entitled The Defiant One, after David returns to the Catanze's for the second time, what one fact does David cling to when Rudy is yelling at him?
6. In the Mother's Love chapter, whose house did David refer to as his home?
7. Why did David feel responsible for the Nulls' divorce?
8. Why did David join the Air Force?
9. Why didn't anyone believe David when he said he didn't start the fire?
10. When David is living with the Nulls, what does he do for Joanne when she is upset?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David has to visit a psychiatrist while at the Catanzes'. Later, while living with the Turnboughs, David visits a second psychiatrist, Donald Roberson. Compare and contrast the two psychiatrists using examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Why was David singled out for his mother's abuse? Given what you know from reading the story, how did the abuse affect the other family members?
Essay Topic 3
David lived with many different foster care parents. David was fortunate, because he was able to stay with three of the families for extended periods of time. Which household--the Catanzes', the Turnboughs', or the Walshes'--provided the best experience for David? Please include three specific examples to support your answer.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)