|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days did the judge sentence David to stay at the Hill.
2. What happened to David when he called a girl a 'horror'?
3. After the Johnny Jones task, David meets with Ms. Gold. What does he tell her?
4. What did David's mother stand up and shout during the hearing?
5. What do David and his brother agree to do the following day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "The Hill?"
2. When David becomes a model student at the Hill, what does he achieve?
3. Why did David feel responsible for the Nulls' divorce?
4. When living with the Turnboughs, why did David have an issue with Bruce?
5. Who told David that they would do whatever it takes to help him?
6. When David goes to court, what does his lawyer tell the judge?
7. What two items did David accidentally leave behind at the Catanze's?
8. What information did Uncle Lee give to David about Stephen, his father?
9. Why did David ask to be removed from the Walshes' household?
10. Why did David join the Air Force?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David had trouble making friends throughout his teenage years. He tells of many instances where he made friends whose goals were to get David into some type of trouble. Explain how David's friendships effected his life. Why did David make the friendships he made? Did the type of friendships he made throughout the story change? If so, how or why? Explain why having a close friend is an essential part of adolescence.
Essay Topic 2
David faced many conflicts in the story. How did David overcome these conflicts? Were there any instances in which David had mishandled conflicts? How did David's ability to face conflict change as he grew older?
Essay Topic 3
Describe David's relationship with his father, then compare and contrast it with David's relationship with his mother. Why does David's father act the way he does? What might a reader assume about David's father from evidence provided in the book?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)