|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did David really feel about the plan he was bragging about to his classmates?
2. David feels that the Turnbough residence will be his final foster home. What does David tear up while he's there?
3. After the Johnny Jones task, David meets with Ms. Gold. What does he tell her?
4. Who was David's second visitor at The Hill?
5. When David is 17, he becomes bored with school. He knows he will be leaving the foster care system soon and has a more important interest. What interest is more important to him than school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information did Uncle Lee give to David about Stephen, his father?
2. Why did David ask to be removed from the Walshes' household?
3. In the chapter entitled The Defiant One, David is on a quest for friendships. Where does this quest lead him?
4. Why did David join the Air Force?
5. Where did David go after the Johnny Jones incident?
6. Give an example to support David's belief that his time at the Hill was a positive experience.
7. When David is living with the Nulls, what does he do for Joanne when she is upset?
8. In the Break Away chapter, David was living with the Turnboughs again. Did David ever go back and visit his friends on Duinsmoore Drive?
9. Why didn't anyone believe David when he said he didn't start the fire?
10. Why did David feel responsible for the Nulls' divorce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When his mother hugged him, David said he wanted to hold onto what he felt at that moment forever. Explain why David would want to hold onto this moment. Were there any other instances of moments David wanted to relive? Why was this moment significant?
Essay Topic 2
David lived with many different foster care parents. David was fortunate, because he was able to stay with three of the families for extended periods of time. Which household--the Catanzes', the Turnboughs', or the Walshes'--provided the best experience for David? Please include three specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
David's mother wanted to control him even after he was placed in the foster care system. List several ways she was able to "control" David even though she didn't see or have custody of him.
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)