|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Carlos and David bump into while at an elementary school near their middle school?
2. How does David feel when he's moved to the new wing at the Hill?
3. Gordan visits David in July 1974, what is the purpose of the visit?
4. What did David and Harold begin to argue over in the "Coming Around" chapter?
5. Who is Uncle Lee?
Short Essay Questions
1. When David goes to court, what does his lawyer tell the judge?
2. Why did David join the Air Force?
3. In the Break Away chapter, David was living with the Turnboughs again. Did David ever go back and visit his friends on Duinsmoore Drive?
4. When David becomes a model student at the Hill, what does he achieve?
5. When living with the Turnboughs, why did David have an issue with Bruce?
6. In the Coming Around chapter, David is in high school and making true friends. Who are some of the people David makes friends with when the Walshes move? Please give a brief description of their relationships.
7. In the chapter entitled The Defiant One, David is on a quest for friendships. Where does this quest lead him?
8. How does David react to the school secretary's remarks about foster children?
9. In the Mother's Love chapter, whose house did David refer to as his home?
10. In the Estranged chapter, when David is being removed from the Catanzes', Gordan tells David he should feel fortunate to have been with one family for so long, and that David shouldn't complain about the move. Why did Gordan say this to David?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David has to visit a psychiatrist while at the Catanzes'. Later, while living with the Turnboughs, David visits a second psychiatrist, Donald Roberson. Compare and contrast the two psychiatrists using examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
David faced many conflicts in the story. How did David overcome these conflicts? Were there any instances in which David had mishandled conflicts? How did David's ability to face conflict change as he grew older?
Essay Topic 3
David lived with many different foster care parents. David was fortunate, because he was able to stay with three of the families for extended periods of time. Which household--the Catanzes', the Turnboughs', or the Walshes'--provided the best experience for David? Please include three specific examples to support your answer.
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)