|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What special task do the Turnboughs do for David?
2. While at the Turnboughs, why does David only wash his clothes on Saturdays and Sundays?
3. What did David's new psychiatrist feel David would benefit from reading?
4. When David is 17, he becomes bored with school. He knows he will be leaving the foster care system soon and has a more important interest. What interest is more important to him than school?
5. On Saturdays, what in special event did David and Alice partake?
Short Essay Questions
1. When David goes to court, what does his lawyer tell the judge?
2. In the Estranged chapter, when David is being removed from the Catanzes', Gordan tells David he should feel fortunate to have been with one family for so long, and that David shouldn't complain about the move. Why did Gordan say this to David?
3. Late in the chapter entitled The Defiant One, after David returns to the Catanze's for the second time, what one fact does David cling to when Rudy is yelling at him?
4. What two items did David accidentally leave behind at the Catanze's?
5. While at the Hill, what did the mental health person want David to do?
6. Give an example to support David's belief that his time at the Hill was a positive experience.
7. In the Break Away chapter, David was living with the Turnboughs again. Did David ever go back and visit his friends on Duinsmoore Drive?
8. Why did David feel responsible for the Nulls' divorce?
9. In the Estranged chapter, when David sees Russell, his brother, why doesn't David tell that he thinks Russell is now being abused?
10. What is "The Hill?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On March 5, 1973, three years after David ran away, one of David's teachers alerted authorities of David's abuse. Describe the process David had to endure after his case was reported to authorities.
Essay Topic 2
There are many instances during "The Lost Boy" where David describes his mother's actions. During many of these descriptions, she is cold and removed from David. Rarely is she ever kind to David. Citing specific examples, describe five of Roevra's actions toward her son. Where her actions toward David justified? Did Roevra ever apologize or explain her actions toward David?
Essay Topic 3
When his mother hugged him, David said he wanted to hold onto what he felt at that moment forever. Explain why David would want to hold onto this moment. Were there any other instances of moments David wanted to relive? Why was this moment significant?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)