|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gordan visits David in July 1974, what is the purpose of the visit?
2. One day, David arrives at school and sees that John had attempted to go through with the plan. What happens as a result?
3. What realization did David have after meeting with his father in the "Break Away" chapter?
4. After his punishment for the Johnny Jones task, what does David do on an impulse?
5. What special task do the Turnboughs do for David?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the Coming Around chapter, David is in high school and making true friends. Who are some of the people David makes friends with when the Walshes move? Please give a brief description of their relationships.
2. Why did David feel responsible for the Nulls' divorce?
3. In the Break Away chapter, David was living with the Turnboughs again. Did David ever go back and visit his friends on Duinsmoore Drive?
4. Why didn't anyone believe David when he said he didn't start the fire?
5. When living with the Turnboughs, why did David have an issue with Bruce?
6. What information did Uncle Lee give to David about Stephen, his father?
7. Where did David go after the Johnny Jones incident?
8. In the Estranged chapter, when David is being removed from the Catanzes', Gordan tells David he should feel fortunate to have been with one family for so long, and that David shouldn't complain about the move. Why did Gordan say this to David?
9. In the Estranged chapter, David meets his brother and they decide to meet again the next day. Describe in detail what happened when David tried to find his brother after school the next day.
10. What two items did David accidentally leave behind at the Catanze's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When David became a foster child, he lacked many social norms. For instance, David didn't know you should knock on someone's door before entering their house. How did other characters in the story teach David social and foster care norms? What did this do for David on a broader scale?
Essay Topic 2
David faced many conflicts in the story. How did David overcome these conflicts? Were there any instances in which David had mishandled conflicts? How did David's ability to face conflict change as he grew older?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways did David keep his emotions to himself? Where there any instances in which David expressed his emotions? Citing examples from the story, explain how and why David kept his emotions pent up.
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)