|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What wing in the Hill was David eventually moved to?
2. Who is Uncle Lee?
3. When David is 17, who does he become obsessed with finding?
4. What happens after David completes his Johnny Jones task?
5. David did finally receive his G.E.D to quiet Alice's nagging. What did he do after he received it?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the Mother's Love chapter, whose house did David refer to as his home?
2. Why did David ask to be removed from the Walshes' household?
3. Why did David feel responsible for the Nulls' divorce?
4. In the Coming Around chapter, David is in high school and making true friends. Who are some of the people David makes friends with when the Walshes move? Please give a brief description of their relationships.
5. When David becomes a model student at the Hill, what does he achieve?
6. Why didn't anyone believe David when he said he didn't start the fire?
7. When David is living with the Nulls, what does he do for Joanne when she is upset?
8. In the chapter entitled The Defiant One, David is on a quest for friendships. Where does this quest lead him?
9. David is again placed with the Turnboughs. David informs Alice that this is where he belongs. One day David realizes that he cannot preform a simple life skills task, and begs Alice to teach him. What was the task, and what happened when David attempted the task?
10. When living with the Turnboughs, why did David have an issue with Bruce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Because of the abuse he suffered, David struggles with many fears. Give examples of David's fears and how he overcomes them. Do some of his fears subside as the story progresses? Which fears persist?
Essay Topic 2
David faced many conflicts in the story. How did David overcome these conflicts? Were there any instances in which David had mishandled conflicts? How did David's ability to face conflict change as he grew older?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the symbolism represented by David's bicycle. Was the bicycle an important aspect to David's story? How did the bike change David?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)