|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What realization did David have after meeting with his father in the "Break Away" chapter?
2. What grade is David getting ready to enter when he lives with the Catanzes?
3. After his punishment for the Johnny Jones task, what does David do on an impulse?
4. Who did David think of when he was aboard a 747 heading for his new life?
5. From whose arms did Gordan have to physically remove David when it was time to leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the Estranged chapter, when David sees Russell, his brother, why doesn't David tell that he thinks Russell is now being abused?
2. In the Mother's Love chapter, whose house did David refer to as his home?
3. When living with the Turnboughs, why did David have an issue with Bruce?
4. While at the Hill, what did the mental health person want David to do?
5. David is again placed with the Turnboughs. David informs Alice that this is where he belongs. One day David realizes that he cannot preform a simple life skills task, and begs Alice to teach him. What was the task, and what happened when David attempted the task?
6. In the chapter entitled The Defiant One, David is on a quest for friendships. Where does this quest lead him?
7. Where did David go after the Johnny Jones incident?
8. Give an example to support David's belief that his time at the Hill was a positive experience.
9. In the Break Away chapter, David visits the Russian River once again. What did David take with him, and why was it important?
10. Why did David join the Air Force?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many instances during "The Lost Boy" where David describes his mother's actions. During many of these descriptions, she is cold and removed from David. Rarely is she ever kind to David. Citing specific examples, describe five of Roevra's actions toward her son. Where her actions toward David justified? Did Roevra ever apologize or explain her actions toward David?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, David states that his brothers were still living with his mother. Using examples from the book, do you feel that the other Pelzer children should or should not have been placed in the foster care system? What did the foster system represent to the Pelzer family?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways did David keep his emotions to himself? Where there any instances in which David expressed his emotions? Citing examples from the story, explain how and why David kept his emotions pent up.
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)