|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. David begins to see a new psychiatrist during his time with the Turnboughs. Who is his new doctor?
2. What did David's mother stand up and shout during the hearing?
3. David's father says he can forgive David for causing the family problems, but what can't he forgive him for?
4. After David left the Nulls', he was placed with Vera and Jody Jones. How far was their home from his mother's home?
5. When David is moved to his next foster home, Joanne and Michael Nulls, how does Joanne treat David?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David react to the school secretary's remarks about foster children?
2. When David is living with the Nulls, what does he do for Joanne when she is upset?
3. What information did Uncle Lee give to David about Stephen, his father?
4. In the Estranged chapter, David meets his brother and they decide to meet again the next day. Describe in detail what happened when David tried to find his brother after school the next day.
5. In the Break Away chapter, David was living with the Turnboughs again. Did David ever go back and visit his friends on Duinsmoore Drive?
6. Who told David that they would do whatever it takes to help him?
7. In the Coming Around chapter, David is in high school and making true friends. Who are some of the people David makes friends with when the Walshes move? Please give a brief description of their relationships.
8. In the Mother's Love chapter, whose house did David refer to as his home?
9. Late in the chapter entitled The Defiant One, after David returns to the Catanze's for the second time, what one fact does David cling to when Rudy is yelling at him?
10. While at the Hill, what did the mental health person want David to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A common theme throughout David's life is the belief that he deserved the abuse he received from his mother. David later finds out that many children who are abused also have these same feelings. How did this thinking pattern affect David throughout his life? Did David ever release himself from this "I deserve abuse" mind-set? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
When his mother hugged him, David said he wanted to hold onto what he felt at that moment forever. Explain why David would want to hold onto this moment. Were there any other instances of moments David wanted to relive? Why was this moment significant?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways did David keep his emotions to himself? Where there any instances in which David expressed his emotions? Citing examples from the story, explain how and why David kept his emotions pent up.
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)