|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to David when he called a girl a 'horror'?
2. What wing in the Hill was David eventually moved to?
3. What was David's father afraid would happen if his co-workers found out his son started a fire?
4. David is sent to live with Harold and Alice Turnbough. What aren't The Turnboughs licensed for?
5. Who drove David to the Hill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A common theme throughout David's life is the belief that he deserved the abuse he received from his mother. David later finds out that many children who are abused also have these same feelings. How did this thinking pattern affect David throughout his life? Did David ever release himself from this "I deserve abuse" mind-set? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
When David became a foster child, he lacked many social norms. For instance, David didn't know you should knock on someone's door before entering their house. How did other characters in the story teach David social and foster care norms? What did this do for David on a broader scale?
Essay Topic 3
Why was David singled out for his mother's abuse? Given what you know from reading the story, how did the abuse affect the other family members?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)