|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did David's mother tell officials David intentionally did?
2. Who did David think of when he was aboard a 747 heading for his new life?
3. What does David work hard to do when he first arrives at the Hill?
4. After the Johnny Jones task, David meets with Ms. Gold. What does he tell her?
5. When David is 17, who does he become obsessed with finding?
Short Essay Questions
1. When David is living with the Nulls, what does he do for Joanne when she is upset?
2. Late in the chapter entitled The Defiant One, after David returns to the Catanze's for the second time, what one fact does David cling to when Rudy is yelling at him?
3. In the Estranged chapter, David meets his brother and they decide to meet again the next day. Describe in detail what happened when David tried to find his brother after school the next day.
4. In the Break Away chapter, David was living with the Turnboughs again. Did David ever go back and visit his friends on Duinsmoore Drive?
5. Where did David go after the Johnny Jones incident?
6. In the Estranged chapter, when David is being removed from the Catanzes', Gordan tells David he should feel fortunate to have been with one family for so long, and that David shouldn't complain about the move. Why did Gordan say this to David?
7. How does David react to the school secretary's remarks about foster children?
8. Who told David that they would do whatever it takes to help him?
9. When David goes to court, what does his lawyer tell the judge?
10. In the chapter entitled The Defiant One, David is on a quest for friendships. Where does this quest lead him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David's mother wanted to control him even after he was placed in the foster care system. List several ways she was able to "control" David even though she didn't see or have custody of him.
Essay Topic 2
There are many instances during "The Lost Boy" where David describes his mother's actions. During many of these descriptions, she is cold and removed from David. Rarely is she ever kind to David. Citing specific examples, describe five of Roevra's actions toward her son. Where her actions toward David justified? Did Roevra ever apologize or explain her actions toward David?
Essay Topic 3
David had trouble making friends throughout his teenage years. He tells of many instances where he made friends whose goals were to get David into some type of trouble. Explain how David's friendships effected his life. Why did David make the friendships he made? Did the type of friendships he made throughout the story change? If so, how or why? Explain why having a close friend is an essential part of adolescence.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)