|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. David feels that the Turnbough residence will be his final foster home. What does David tear up while he's there?
2. What did David's mother tell officials David intentionally did?
3. What arrangements did Gordan have to make for David because he couldn't find a foster home for him?
4. When David arrives at The Catanzes' house after his release from the Hill, what do the other foster children do?
5. After seeing his brother, David holds up his end of the agreement and tries to meet with him the following day. Who is with his brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the Break Away chapter, David was living with the Turnboughs again. Did David ever go back and visit his friends on Duinsmoore Drive?
2. Why did David join the Air Force?
3. Why didn't anyone believe David when he said he didn't start the fire?
4. What information did Uncle Lee give to David about Stephen, his father?
5. Who told David that they would do whatever it takes to help him?
6. When living with the Turnboughs, why did David have an issue with Bruce?
7. In the Estranged chapter, David meets his brother and they decide to meet again the next day. Describe in detail what happened when David tried to find his brother after school the next day.
8. In the Mother's Love chapter, whose house did David refer to as his home?
9. In the chapter entitled The Defiant One, David is on a quest for friendships. Where does this quest lead him?
10. Why did David ask to be removed from the Walshes' household?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When David became a foster child, he lacked many social norms. For instance, David didn't know you should knock on someone's door before entering their house. How did other characters in the story teach David social and foster care norms? What did this do for David on a broader scale?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways did David keep his emotions to himself? Where there any instances in which David expressed his emotions? Citing examples from the story, explain how and why David kept his emotions pent up.
Essay Topic 3
On March 5, 1973, three years after David ran away, one of David's teachers alerted authorities of David's abuse. Describe the process David had to endure after his case was reported to authorities.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)