|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While at the Turnboughs, why does David only wash his clothes on Saturdays and Sundays?
2. What did Lilian bring with her on her visit to the Hill?
3. What did Lilian tell David about his turtle on the ride home to The Cantanzes' house?
4. What do David and his brother agree to do the following day?
5. After his punishment for the Johnny Jones task, what does David do on an impulse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who told David that they would do whatever it takes to help him?
2. David is again placed with the Turnboughs. David informs Alice that this is where he belongs. One day David realizes that he cannot preform a simple life skills task, and begs Alice to teach him. What was the task, and what happened when David attempted the task?
3. In the Estranged chapter, when David sees Russell, his brother, why doesn't David tell that he thinks Russell is now being abused?
4. Give an example to support David's belief that his time at the Hill was a positive experience.
5. Why did David join the Air Force?
6. In the Coming Around chapter, David is in high school and making true friends. Who are some of the people David makes friends with when the Walshes move? Please give a brief description of their relationships.
7. When David becomes a model student at the Hill, what does he achieve?
8. When David goes to court, what does his lawyer tell the judge?
9. What two items did David accidentally leave behind at the Catanze's?
10. In the chapter entitled The Defiant One, David is on a quest for friendships. Where does this quest lead him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David initially spent 100 days in the Hill and revisited it on several occasions, when Gordan would place him there as a temporary foster home. Explain how David's time at the Hill changed his life. What were the benefits and drawbacks to David's stays there? How did the environment at the Hill aid David?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, David states that his brothers were still living with his mother. Using examples from the book, do you feel that the other Pelzer children should or should not have been placed in the foster care system? What did the foster system represent to the Pelzer family?
Essay Topic 3
David had two main social workers in during his time in foster care. How did the social workers aid David? Were there any instances in which they hindered David? Compare and contrast David's relationships with his case workers.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)