|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When David gave his note to someone at the trail, how did this person react?
2. When David goes on a picnic with the Catanzes who did he meet?
3. When David first arrives at Aunt Mary's, he is very hyperactive. What causes this sudden surge of energy?
4. David had mixed emotions about his abuse being reported. Who was he afraid would be angry when they found out?
5. Where does the boy end up when he leaves the Pelzer household?
Short Essay Questions
1. In The Run Away Chapter, why does David feel he deserves his punishments?
2. In New Beginnings, what does Tony do for David?
3. In An Angel named Ms. Gold, how did David react when Aunt Mary grabbed his arm?
4. Why does David dread commercial breaks?
5. David's abuse wasn't reported until he was 12 years old. Why didn't anyone report the abuse sooner?
6. What prompts the psychiatrist to report that David has anger issues?
7. In Chapter 1, David gives a description of his home life and calls himself his "Mother's prisoner." Give three examples of how David was his "Mother's prisoner."
8. After David's custody trial, what does he say to Ms. Gold?
9. Why didn't David understand simple terms, such as "grounded?"
10. After his mother's visit to Aunt Mary's, David changed the story he told Ms. Gold. Why did David change his story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways did David keep his emotions to himself? Where there any instances in which David expressed his emotions? Citing examples from the story, explain how and why David kept his emotions pent up.
Essay Topic 2
On March 5, 1973, three years after David ran away, one of David's teachers alerted authorities of David's abuse. Describe the process David had to endure after his case was reported to authorities.
Essay Topic 3
Because of the abuse he suffered, David struggles with many fears. Give examples of David's fears and how he overcomes them. Do some of his fears subside as the story progresses? Which fears persist?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)