|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the boy promise his father on the ride home from the police station?
2. What did David feel like towards his family as he rode to his trial?
3. What was a normal part of the evening routine at the Pelzer household?
4. When the story begins, what was the boy forced to sleep on?
5. When David recanted his statements about his abuse, he felt alone. What did he later find out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the bicycle a symbol of to David?
2. Why does David dread commercial breaks?
3. In An Angel named Ms. Gold, how did David react when Aunt Mary grabbed his arm?
4. David's abuse wasn't reported until he was 12 years old. Why didn't anyone report the abuse sooner?
5. David and Big Larry come up with a plan. What was the plan called, and what were the details of the plan?
6. After David's custody trial, what does he say to Ms. Gold?
7. In New Beginnings, David tells about some of the torment his mother put him through. What did David feel was an accident when he didn't finish the dishes fast enough?
8. In New Beginnings, what does Tony do for David?
9. What prompts the psychiatrist to report that David has anger issues?
10. In Chapter 1, David gives a description of his home life and calls himself his "Mother's prisoner." Give three examples of how David was his "Mother's prisoner."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David faced many conflicts in the story. How did David overcome these conflicts? Were there any instances in which David had mishandled conflicts? How did David's ability to face conflict change as he grew older?
Essay Topic 2
There are many instances during "The Lost Boy" where David describes his mother's actions. During many of these descriptions, she is cold and removed from David. Rarely is she ever kind to David. Citing specific examples, describe five of Roevra's actions toward her son. Where her actions toward David justified? Did Roevra ever apologize or explain her actions toward David?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, David states that his brothers were still living with his mother. Using examples from the book, do you feel that the other Pelzer children should or should not have been placed in the foster care system? What did the foster system represent to the Pelzer family?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)