|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The boy steals this object while at the pizza bar:
2. David and the other children at Aunt Mary's house like to steal what items from the grocery store?
3. What is "The Boy's" real name?
4. David wonders if he should have fought his Mother. Whose advice does David seek as he ponders this question?
5. At his trial David wrote a note. To whom did he give the note?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't David understand simple terms, such as "grounded?"
2. What item becomes David's obsession at The Catanze's?
3. Why does David's father allow the abuse to persist?
4. When the judge asked David where he wanted to live, David became overwhelmed by two emotions towards his mother. What were they?
5. In An Angel named Ms. Gold, why did David feel he should be placed in jail?
6. In The Run Away Chapter, why does David feel he deserves his punishments?
7. In Chapter 1, David gives a description of his home life and calls himself his "Mother's prisoner." Give three examples of how David was his "Mother's prisoner."
8. David's abuse wasn't reported until he was 12 years old. Why didn't anyone report the abuse sooner?
9. David and Big Larry come up with a plan. What was the plan called, and what were the details of the plan?
10. When David first arrived at Aunt Mary's, what was his response to the other foster children when they asked "what he was in for?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe David's relationship with his father, then compare and contrast it with David's relationship with his mother. Why does David's father act the way he does? What might a reader assume about David's father from evidence provided in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Why was David singled out for his mother's abuse? Given what you know from reading the story, how did the abuse affect the other family members?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways do the chapter titles provide insights into the story's themes? Where the titles important? How do they help one understand what is happening in the story?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)