|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. David had mixed emotions about his abuse being reported. Who was he afraid would be angry when they found out?
2. What did David's mother threaten to do if Lilian couldn't control David?
3. What item did David's Mother once force him to eat as punishment.
4. What doesn't the psychiatrist allow David to do?
5. Why doesn't David want Ms. Gold to tell the court about his abuse?
Short Essay Questions
1. When David first arrived at Aunt Mary's, what was his response to the other foster children when they asked "what he was in for?"
2. David notes in the chapter entitled Adrift, that Rudy seems angry at him. Why is Rudy angry with David?
3. After his mother's visit to Aunt Mary's, David changed the story he told Ms. Gold. Why did David change his story?
4. When the judge asked David where he wanted to live, David became overwhelmed by two emotions towards his mother. What were they?
5. In New Beginnings, what does Tony do for David?
6. What item becomes David's obsession at The Catanze's?
7. Why is the date August 21, 1973 important to David?
8. In An Angel named Ms. Gold, what did the police officer tell David's mother?
9. What emotion(s) is David's mother trying to convey when she gives him new toys, clothes, and advice after his trial?
10. In The Run Away Chapter, why does David feel he deserves his punishments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A common theme throughout David's life is the belief that he deserved the abuse he received from his mother. David later finds out that many children who are abused also have these same feelings. How did this thinking pattern affect David throughout his life? Did David ever release himself from this "I deserve abuse" mind-set? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
David had trouble making friends throughout his teenage years. He tells of many instances where he made friends whose goals were to get David into some type of trouble. Explain how David's friendships effected his life. Why did David make the friendships he made? Did the type of friendships he made throughout the story change? If so, how or why? Explain why having a close friend is an essential part of adolescence.
Essay Topic 3
There are many instances during "The Lost Boy" where David describes his mother's actions. During many of these descriptions, she is cold and removed from David. Rarely is she ever kind to David. Citing specific examples, describe five of Roevra's actions toward her son. Where her actions toward David justified? Did Roevra ever apologize or explain her actions toward David?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)