|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did David feel after his first visit with the psychiatrist?
2. When the story begins, what was the boy forced to sleep on?
3. What does David learn will happen to his possessions if he lives them behind?
4. When David makes his telephone call, he is too scared to dial the numbers. Who dialed the number for him?
5. What does his mother make the boy do in order to prove he didn't steal any food?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the chapter entitled Adrift, what did David think when his visitor didn't show up at the appointed time?
2. What is Ms. Gold's response in The Trial when David asks what will happen to his brothers?
3. When the judge asked David where he wanted to live, David became overwhelmed by two emotions towards his mother. What were they?
4. After his mother's visit to Aunt Mary's, David changed the story he told Ms. Gold. Why did David change his story?
5. After David's custody trial, what does he say to Ms. Gold?
6. In The Trial, what does Ms. Gold tell David on the way to his trial?
7. What prompts the psychiatrist to report that David has anger issues?
8. What makes the note David wrote in The Trial significant?
9. In An Angel named Ms. Gold, what did the police officer tell David's mother?
10. In New Beginnings, David tells about some of the torment his mother put him through. What did David feel was an accident when he didn't finish the dishes fast enough?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David faced many conflicts in the story. How did David overcome these conflicts? Were there any instances in which David had mishandled conflicts? How did David's ability to face conflict change as he grew older?
Essay Topic 2
How did growing up in the foster care system shape David's life? Would he have had the same experiences had he grown up in his mother's home? Why/Why not?
Essay Topic 3
When his mother hugged him, David said he wanted to hold onto what he felt at that moment forever. Explain why David would want to hold onto this moment. Were there any other instances of moments David wanted to relive? Why was this moment significant?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)