|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After David leaves Aunt Mary's who were his first 'permanent' foster parents?
2. David spends several days sitting in his room until Big Larry invites him to go somewhere. Where does he invite him to go?
3. Where does the boy end up when he leaves the Pelzer household?
4. Who was Ms. Gold?
5. Who tells the boy "It hasn't the guts to go?"
Short Essay Questions
1. In New Beginnings, David tells about some of the torment his mother put him through. What did David feel was an accident when he didn't finish the dishes fast enough?
2. Why does David dread commercial breaks?
3. David and Big Larry come up with a plan. What was the plan called, and what were the details of the plan?
4. What emotion(s) is David's mother trying to convey when she gives him new toys, clothes, and advice after his trial?
5. In The Run Away Chapter, why does David thrive for the hours he is away from the house?
6. In Chapter 1, David gives a description of his home life and calls himself his "Mother's prisoner." Give three examples of how David was his "Mother's prisoner."
7. Why didn't David understand simple terms, such as "grounded?"
8. In An Angel named Ms. Gold, why did David feel he should be placed in jail?
9. After David's custody trial, what does he say to Ms. Gold?
10. What makes the note David wrote in The Trial significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, David states that his brothers were still living with his mother. Using examples from the book, do you feel that the other Pelzer children should or should not have been placed in the foster care system? What did the foster system represent to the Pelzer family?
Essay Topic 2
David has to visit a psychiatrist while at the Catanzes'. Later, while living with the Turnboughs, David visits a second psychiatrist, Donald Roberson. Compare and contrast the two psychiatrists using examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Because of the abuse he suffered, David struggles with many fears. Give examples of David's fears and how he overcomes them. Do some of his fears subside as the story progresses? Which fears persist?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)