|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When David is at the hospital, the doctor puts cream on David's arms and tells him it's "too late to cover them." Why would the doctor tell David that?
2. At his trial David wrote a note. To whom did he give the note?
3. Why is David relieved when Mr. Zeigler tells him he's going to tell the class about his abuse?
4. David had mixed emotions about his abuse being reported. Who was he afraid would be angry when they found out?
5. At David's abuse trial, who did not appear in court?
Short Essay Questions
1. In New Beginnings, what does Tony do for David?
2. David and Big Larry come up with a plan. What was the plan called, and what were the details of the plan?
3. What prompts the psychiatrist to report that David has anger issues?
4. Why didn't David understand simple terms, such as "grounded?"
5. What is the bicycle a symbol of to David?
6. In An Angel named Ms. Gold, what did the police officer tell David's mother?
7. What item becomes David's obsession at The Catanze's?
8. When David first arrived at Aunt Mary's, what was his response to the other foster children when they asked "what he was in for?"
9. When the judge asked David where he wanted to live, David became overwhelmed by two emotions towards his mother. What were they?
10. In the chapter entitled Adrift, there are several instances where David wanted to talk to Lilian. What emotions inhibited the conversations from happening.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, David states that his brothers were still living with his mother. Using examples from the book, do you feel that the other Pelzer children should or should not have been placed in the foster care system? What did the foster system represent to the Pelzer family?
Essay Topic 2
How did growing up in the foster care system shape David's life? Would he have had the same experiences had he grown up in his mother's home? Why/Why not?
Essay Topic 3
David faced many conflicts in the story. How did David overcome these conflicts? Were there any instances in which David had mishandled conflicts? How did David's ability to face conflict change as he grew older?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)