Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Big Larry and David return home, who is angry with them?
2. Who catches the boy stealing and calls the police?
3. Where does the boy end up when he leaves the Pelzer household?
4. Who tormented David and called him a wimp for not fighting his mother?
5. When David goes on a picnic with the Catanzes who did he meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give an example to support David's belief that his time at the Hill was a positive experience.
2. While at the Hill, what did the mental health person want David to do?
3. Why does David's father allow the abuse to persist?
4. In the chapter entitled Adrift, what did David think when his visitor didn't show up at the appointed time?
5. In New Beginnings, what does Tony do for David?
6. In the Break Away chapter, David visits the Russian River once again. What did David take with him, and why was it important?
7. After his mother's visit to Aunt Mary's, David changed the story he told Ms. Gold. Why did David change his story?
8. What is the bicycle a symbol of to David?
9. When David first arrived at Aunt Mary's, what was his response to the other foster children when they asked "what he was in for?"
10. When David goes to court, what does his lawyer tell the judge?
Why was David singled out for his mother's abuse? Given what you know from reading the story, how did the abuse affect the other family members?
David faced many conflicts in the story. How did David overcome these conflicts? Were there any instances in which David had mishandled conflicts? How did David's ability to face conflict change as he grew older?
Throughout the book, David states that his brothers were still living with his mother. Using examples from the book, do you feel that the other Pelzer children should or should not have been placed in the foster care system? What did the foster system represent to the Pelzer family?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)