|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After David leaves Aunt Mary's who were his first 'permanent' foster parents?
2. Before his court hearing, where does David want to be placed?
3. In foster care, who is David not allowed to have contact with?
4. Where did the boy often have to sit for hours?
5. Who was Ms. Gold?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the judge asked David where he wanted to live, David became overwhelmed by two emotions towards his mother. What were they?
2. Why does David dread commercial breaks?
3. In An Angel named Ms. Gold, why did David feel he should be placed in jail?
4. Why is the date August 21, 1973 important to David?
5. In The Run Away Chapter, why does David thrive for the hours he is away from the house?
6. In the chapter entitled Adrift, there are several instances where David wanted to talk to Lilian. What emotions inhibited the conversations from happening.
7. When David first arrived at Aunt Mary's, what was his response to the other foster children when they asked "what he was in for?"
8. What is Ms. Gold's response in The Trial when David asks what will happen to his brothers?
9. In the Adrift chapter, why did Chris have fear in his eyes when he talked to David?
10. Why does David's father allow the abuse to persist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was David singled out for his mother's abuse? Given what you know from reading the story, how did the abuse affect the other family members?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, David states that his brothers were still living with his mother. Using examples from the book, do you feel that the other Pelzer children should or should not have been placed in the foster care system? What did the foster system represent to the Pelzer family?
Essay Topic 3
David had trouble making friends throughout his teenage years. He tells of many instances where he made friends whose goals were to get David into some type of trouble. Explain how David's friendships effected his life. Why did David make the friendships he made? Did the type of friendships he made throughout the story change? If so, how or why? Explain why having a close friend is an essential part of adolescence.
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)