|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. David and the other children at Aunt Mary's house like to steal what items from the grocery store?
2. Who came to pick the boy up from the police station?
3. Who was supposed to visit David at the Catanzes', but never showed up?
4. David is taken to a psychiatrist, what name does the psychiatrist insist on calling David?
5. How much money did Lillian Catanze receive to buy David clothes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What item becomes David's obsession at The Catanze's?
2. When the judge asked David where he wanted to live, David became overwhelmed by two emotions towards his mother. What were they?
3. Why is the date August 21, 1973 important to David?
4. In the chapter entitled Adrift, what did David think when his visitor didn't show up at the appointed time?
5. In New Beginnings, what does Tony do for David?
6. What makes the note David wrote in The Trial significant?
7. In The Run Away Chapter, why does David feel he deserves his punishments?
8. What is Ms. Gold's response in The Trial when David asks what will happen to his brothers?
9. David and Big Larry come up with a plan. What was the plan called, and what were the details of the plan?
10. Why didn't David understand simple terms, such as "grounded?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David's mother wanted to control him even after he was placed in the foster care system. List several ways she was able to "control" David even though she didn't see or have custody of him.
Essay Topic 2
There are many instances during "The Lost Boy" where David describes his mother's actions. During many of these descriptions, she is cold and removed from David. Rarely is she ever kind to David. Citing specific examples, describe five of Roevra's actions toward her son. Where her actions toward David justified? Did Roevra ever apologize or explain her actions toward David?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the symbolism represented by David's bicycle. Was the bicycle an important aspect to David's story? How did the bike change David?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)