|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ms. Gold recommend to the judge at David's abuse trial?
2. What does Roevra bring David on her visit to the Catanzes'?
3. What did David's mother threaten to do if Lilian couldn't control David?
4. What does his mother make the boy do in order to prove he didn't steal any food?
5. What did David continue to believe despite what everyone told him?
Short Essay Questions
1. In The Run Away Chapter, why does David thrive for the hours he is away from the house?
2. In New Beginnings, what does Tony do for David?
3. In An Angel named Ms. Gold, how did David react when Aunt Mary grabbed his arm?
4. In An Angel named Ms. Gold, why did David feel he should be placed in jail?
5. What prompts the psychiatrist to report that David has anger issues?
6. In the Adrift chapter, why did Chris have fear in his eyes when he talked to David?
7. After David's custody trial, what does he say to Ms. Gold?
8. In the chapter entitled Adrift, what did David think when his visitor didn't show up at the appointed time?
9. What makes the note David wrote in The Trial significant?
10. David's abuse wasn't reported until he was 12 years old. Why didn't anyone report the abuse sooner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David had two main social workers in during his time in foster care. How did the social workers aid David? Were there any instances in which they hindered David? Compare and contrast David's relationships with his case workers.
Essay Topic 2
Why was David singled out for his mother's abuse? Given what you know from reading the story, how did the abuse affect the other family members?
Essay Topic 3
Because of the abuse he suffered, David struggles with many fears. Give examples of David's fears and how he overcomes them. Do some of his fears subside as the story progresses? Which fears persist?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)