|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "The Boy's" real name?
2. After the trial, David's mother warns him to be 'a good boy! A better boy!' and to have a 'happy life'. What other piece of advice does she give him?
3. Roevra visits David at his new foster home. Who is Roevra?
4. In David's life, who has always been in control of everything?
5. When David recanted his statements about his abuse, he felt alone. What did he later find out?
Short Essay Questions
1. In New Beginnings, what does Tony do for David?
2. In The Run Away Chapter, why does David feel he deserves his punishments?
3. Why does David's father allow the abuse to persist?
4. In An Angel named Ms. Gold, how did David react when Aunt Mary grabbed his arm?
5. Why was it important for David to form a bond with Ms. Gold?
6. In An Angel named Ms. Gold, what did the police officer tell David's mother?
7. In the Adrift chapter, why did Chris have fear in his eyes when he talked to David?
8. David notes in the chapter entitled Adrift, that Rudy seems angry at him. Why is Rudy angry with David?
9. What is Ms. Gold's response in The Trial when David asks what will happen to his brothers?
10. When David first arrived at Aunt Mary's, what was his response to the other foster children when they asked "what he was in for?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was David singled out for his mother's abuse? Given what you know from reading the story, how did the abuse affect the other family members?
Essay Topic 2
A common theme throughout David's life is the belief that he deserved the abuse he received from his mother. David later finds out that many children who are abused also have these same feelings. How did this thinking pattern affect David throughout his life? Did David ever release himself from this "I deserve abuse" mind-set? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
On March 5, 1973, three years after David ran away, one of David's teachers alerted authorities of David's abuse. Describe the process David had to endure after his case was reported to authorities.
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)