|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. David spends several days sitting in his room until Big Larry invites him to go somewhere. Where does he invite him to go?
2. Later in the evening, when David and Big Larry got into trouble, who did David try to call?
3. When David left the courtroom, his mother loaded him down with toys and clothes. He enjoyed these gifts, but cherished something else more. What was it?
4. David is used to stealing food, who does he begin to steal food from while at Aunt Mary's?
5. The boy steals this object while at the pizza bar:
Short Essay Questions
1. In The Trial, what does Ms. Gold tell David on the way to his trial?
2. After David's custody trial, what does he say to Ms. Gold?
3. Why is the date August 21, 1973 important to David?
4. When David first arrived at Aunt Mary's, what was his response to the other foster children when they asked "what he was in for?"
5. What makes the note David wrote in The Trial significant?
6. What prompts the psychiatrist to report that David has anger issues?
7. In the chapter entitled Adrift, what did David think when his visitor didn't show up at the appointed time?
8. In New Beginnings, David tells about some of the torment his mother put him through. What did David feel was an accident when he didn't finish the dishes fast enough?
9. What emotion(s) is David's mother trying to convey when she gives him new toys, clothes, and advice after his trial?
10. In New Beginnings, what does Tony do for David?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David had trouble making friends throughout his teenage years. He tells of many instances where he made friends whose goals were to get David into some type of trouble. Explain how David's friendships effected his life. Why did David make the friendships he made? Did the type of friendships he made throughout the story change? If so, how or why? Explain why having a close friend is an essential part of adolescence.
Essay Topic 2
Why was David singled out for his mother's abuse? Given what you know from reading the story, how did the abuse affect the other family members?
Essay Topic 3
There are many instances during "The Lost Boy" where David describes his mother's actions. During many of these descriptions, she is cold and removed from David. Rarely is she ever kind to David. Citing specific examples, describe five of Roevra's actions toward her son. Where her actions toward David justified? Did Roevra ever apologize or explain her actions toward David?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)