|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which statement best describes the marine life in Puerto Escondido?
2. What does the expedition party hear about Mulege which make it an undesirable destination?
3. When the sea is very smooth, what does the crew do to take advantage of the calm seas?
4. Why does Tony berates Tiny and Sparky?
5. What does the expedition party see towards the end of April 22 as they sail south?
Short Essay Questions
1. Provide a description to how Steinbeck, Ricketts and the crew do the labeling and sorting of their collected specimen.
2. How do the members of the expedition party pass the night of March 29? What discussions are happening and what are the revelations of this night?
3. Briefly explain Steinbeck's thoughts about a place being friendly or unfriendly. What instances led him to these thoughts?
4. In Marcial Point around noon on Easter Sunday, Steinbeck and Ricketts manage to catch a big, beautiful lobster despite the difficulties they have encountered. How do you think Steinbeck and Ricketts managed to catch this lobster? Speculate on the efforts of the team.
5. Describe the profile of the specimens the expedition party collects. Provide details about the group's interest in all of these specimens, as explained by Steinbeck himself.
6. Explain Steinbeck's theory on how man can improve himself and the human race if only he studies certain cycles in civilization.
7. Discuss Steinbeck's lamentations on the briefness of their expedition, and how he wished that they have brought full-sized aquariums.
8. What does the expedition party encounter at the port of Guaymas? Explain their reactions to the situation.
9. Near Guaymas, the crew feel a little contempt over the fact that the fishermen they see are too spotless in their white outfits. Explain briefly the circumstances and why the crew feel such contempt.
10. This particular section when the expedition party are near Guaymas and see these spotless fishermen is dated Aprill 22, which proves to be erratic. Give probable explanations to the error in date.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of Steinbeck's lamentations is over how a good hypothesis can blind a person to an alternative theory which can disprove it. What instances in the story support this theory of the author? What can be the reasons for this blindness? Are there any more observations made by the author that supports this theory?
Essay Topic 2
The Log from the Sea of Cortez is meant as a document to help future sea travelers. Instead it contains many discussions on philosophy, life, politics, war, among others. Do you think it would help if the author and the log if an outline was prescribed, or a guide as to what should be written down and how it should be presented? In short, what are the improvements that can be made to the Log from the Sea of Cortez to make it more faithful to its original objective, which is to help sea travelers with their voyage?
Essay Topic 3
Steinbeck describes how a certain task such as collecting specimen can seem to be so enjoyable and exciting in the beginning, and later turn boring simply because the one performing the task has been at it for a long time. What can be the cause of this change? Is it really man's nature to be "mechanical" over time? Why or why not? Support your answer with instances from the story.
This section contains 1,478 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)