|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the expedition party feel about Puerto Refugio?
2. Who enjoys the favors of the locals the most in Puerto Refugio?
3. How does the author describe the call of the doves?
4. Where does the expedition party sail next on Easter Sunday?
5. What is the best description for Santa Rosalia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Near Guaymas, the crew feel a little contempt over the fact that the fishermen they see are too spotless in their white outfits. Explain briefly the circumstances and why the crew feel such contempt.
2. In Marcial Point around noon on Easter Sunday, Steinbeck and Ricketts manage to catch a big, beautiful lobster despite the difficulties they have encountered. How do you think Steinbeck and Ricketts managed to catch this lobster? Speculate on the efforts of the team.
3. Discuss the theories and examples presented by members of the expedition team on how persistence of beliefs of mind can overcome actual reality.
4. Describe Guardian Angel Island and how the crew takes to it. What were the feelings of the crew while they were on the island?
5. It is mentioned that Tex is getting married and therefore should be watching his weight very keenly. Speculate on Tex's marriage. Why did he agree to sail even when he is getting married? Why can't he stay on a diet to look good on his wedding day?
6. Explain Steinbeck's thoughts on the wastage of food witnesses together with Ricketts on the Japanese dredge boats.
7. Describe the profile of the specimens the expedition party collects. Provide details about the group's interest in all of these specimens, as explained by Steinbeck himself.
8. Describe Steinbeck and Ricketts' encounter with the ranchers and vacationers, and their consequent big sheep-hunting expedition.
9. When the group is discussing the activities of the Japanese dredge boats and trawlers, Steinbeck contradicts himself from his earlier position on food wastage. What is Steinbeck's new position on the food wastage?
10. Briefly explain Steinbeck's thoughts about a place being friendly or unfriendly. What instances led him to these thoughts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Steinbeck and Ricketts ponder on the two types of biologists - those who study dead, preserved animals and those who study life in all its complexity. Compare the two types, identify the strengths and weaknesses of the two, and identify the situations where they will excel. What advantages will one have over the other? If you were to become a biologist, which type would you be? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Steinbeck describes how a certain task such as collecting specimen can seem to be so enjoyable and exciting in the beginning, and later turn boring simply because the one performing the task has been at it for a long time. What can be the cause of this change? Is it really man's nature to be "mechanical" over time? Why or why not? Support your answer with instances from the story.
Essay Topic 3
The Log from the Sea of Cortez was created out of the author's own frustration over finding documentation that can help him in his voyage, and the desire to do favor for future travelers not to encounter the same fate. Do you think the log serves its purpose? Is there much to be gained from it by future sea travelers? Cite specific characteristics of the log that will be particularly helpful for future travelers.
This section contains 1,521 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)